Bretonnia vs store manager's decission

Well, in Kings Of War events you can use any miniatures...

Guess it's down to how you want to run your business. Excluding other company minis is obviously the logical thing to do marketing-wise but has the downside of driving away some people. 

@Carnivore

If it's a GW store then policy is that you use GW miniatures.

Regarding brets, GW dropped the model line but the compendium rules still exist.  You won't be allowed into tournaments etc which disallow compendiums  but nothing stops you using them.

You've got several choices here, either trawl ebay or the classified on this here forum for models - unfortunately you'll be paying for it, or alternatively re-imagine what a pocket of bretonnia might have evolved into after ten millennia and do some awesome conversions using existing GW minis.   You might say that those original suits of armour were such rare artifacts that only a lord might have one in his family,  the rest of the rabble now look more like free people or whatever the neighbouring realm is.

Shields will still have heraldry on them, and you might find some metal knights from ancient citadel which will fit the bill and be a bit cheaper than genuine brets.

38 minutes ago, VBS said:

Well, in Kings Of War events you can use any miniatures...

As expected. Anyway, they are just a bunch of garage freaks, so it matters not. All the real "serious" guys don't allow other than their miniatures as well. As they should. 

40 minutes ago, VBS said:

Excluding other company minis is obviously the logical thing to do marketing-wise but has the downside of driving away some people. 

Some go away, some go in. You will end up nowhere trying to please a few freaks.

2 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

As expected. Anyway, they are just a bunch of garage freaks, so it matters not. All the real "serious" guys don't allow other than their miniatures as well. As they should. 

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't Mantic matter? Or would not be considered real "serious" guys? They seem to run the company decently enough with their webstore, retail distribution and promoting quliaty games. Is it because they don't make the same decisions as others? Don't always seek to maximise profits as much as they could? I think that is independant of  being a serious company or just dismissing them coz they're "freaks".

2 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

All this said, I still can't see why GW didnt update their Zombies before whiteboxing them.

An old GW problem. Those zombies are awful. And it's not mentioning even the absence of plastic vampires...

7 minutes ago, VBS said:

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't Mantic matter?

it's not the same league, it's the level of those guys casting things in resin in their garages. Sorry.

Re Zombies: I wish Forgeworld could just quickly knock out some units that GW aren't planning to.

I am talking craptastic stuff like Zombies, Direwolves, Nightrunners, Gutterrunners, Furies (maybe God-specific), Black Coach, Fell Bats, Bat Swarms, Salamanders, etc.

4 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

it's not the same league, it's the level of those guys casting things in resin in their garages. Sorry.

Preach. If Mantic didn't revel in their intent to take GW's scraps... or didn't have to run a Kickstarter every time they needed more toilet roll...

But back OT, dedicated stores only allowing their own minis is kinda a given.

On 17/03/2018 at 6:49 PM, Carnivore said:

Just want to know the generell opinions, since I don't really know what would be more important.

Telling someone, that he has to use another army now and maybe by that pissing him / her off, or accept the fact that other stuff is used.
But yeah, kind of understandable.

I suggest I would have to tell them to move to an extern community too.

It's kind of a shame, but what can we do.

You say they that they have told someone that they have to use another army but they did everything within reason to soften the blow. Chief among them the fact that they didnt just wipe.the army completely rules and all.

It you want to start an army its reasonable to assume that you should use one of theirs.

GW are in the right im afraid.

Btw im saying this as a bretonnian fan. I have an army and wish that they would come back. Im extremely grateful to gw for letting me use a discontinued army at all.

14 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

Re Zombies: I wish Forgeworld could just quickly knock out some units that GW aren't planning to.

I am talking craptastic stuff like Zombies, Direwolves, Nightrunners, Gutterrunners, Furies (maybe God-specific), Black Coach, Fell Bats, Bat Swarms, Salamanders, etc.

You don’t want forge world prices, and preparation time, for horde units like zombies. 

It's part of a possible store policy and I do not mind it.

The thing is really  that some customers can thake a playing space for granted. However we turn it though the space required for it is on the cost of the store owner and because of that the owner should be able to set it's own rules of games played, including models.

I do agree that it is somewhat unfortunate that Brettonia isn't available through Games Workshop's online stores even. At the same time though Games Workshop has more lines that went out of production. It just so happens to be that Tomb Kings and Brettonia where the latest that disappeared. 

As a fan of many systems I can really relate to the playing issues this might cause. For example I wish that Mordheim models where still available also, same for some of the Necromunda models. Same applies to some of the older or limited Chaos ranges too! Archaon on foot was one of the models I used to own which made for incredible converting options, I had to sell him however. Having said that, it's fully possible that they might return in the future. With a new (different) look. 

15 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

And it's not mentioning even the absence of plastic vampires...

Yeah well... Technically there are quite a lot of plastic vampires. I do agree with the sentiment that it would be wonderful to have at least one as a stand alone model but there is a lot to choose from if we're honest.

image.png.5af9a748bab4fca8383ed58753434aa3.png

99120207031_DeathLordsMortarchsMannfred0

99120207035_FleshEatersVampireonZombieDr

99120207031_DeathLordsMortarchsNeferata0

19 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

Some go away, some go in. You will end up nowhere trying to please a few freaks.

+++ Mod Hat On +++

No matter your opinion on other game systems and the people who play them, that does not mean you should treat them in that way!!!

We do not want people behaving in this way on this board. Wargames are for everybody, wherever they enjoy playing them with amazing models, bits of card or just watching it and talking about it on internet forums. I'm really not impressed with your behavior about this so I think you need to have a think about this and I'm going to issue a ban for a few days to you.

Everybody else please take note of this, as we do not want this type of behavior on this forum. Wargames are for everybody

Back on topic - It's been mentioned several times already but the summary is...

• If it's a GW store, then it's GW models
  • If it's a indie store, it's up to the store owner/manager which you can discuss with but at end of day it's up to then

I'm going to lock this thread now as we seem to be going round in circles

Archived