Grand host of Nagash 1k list

Bohemond

Hi everyone.

So I watched Army of Darkness the other day, again, and now I really want a skeleton army! Is this list any good? I it mainly fulfill four wishes I have. 1) Can be combined with my 1k Nighthaunt list for a future 2k LoN list. 2) Be fluffy while not being assbad. 3) Can get all of this for cheap. 4) Can be moved around the table while I make annoying puns and Skeletor voices.

While this list is mostly for fun, 2 is kind of important. It's not fun to assemble and paint an entire army, if it's just going to get wiped every game. My original idea was having a Wight King as genereal, but I've they are not that great, so I swapped him out with a Vampire Lord. I also see most people include Morghasts in their lists, and wonder if they are considered a better investment than Zombie Dragons. I am also unsure what artifacts and command traits to choose, as I haven't tried out anything from LoN yet. Thanks in advance.

Heroes:

- Mounted Vampire Lord - General 140pts

- Necromancer 110pts

Units:

- 20 x Skeleton Warriors - Battleline 160pts

- 10 x Grave Guard - Battleline 160pts

- 5 x Black Knights 120pts

Behemoths:

- Zombie Dragon 300pts

990/1000pts

Well, if you wanted the army of darkness, I‘d cut the grave guard and go for 40 skellis with a necromancer, almost not wipe-able except for double turns, that leaves you with sad 50 points...upgrade your black knights to hexwraith...

57 minutes ago, Honk said:

Well, if you wanted the army of darkness, I‘d cut the grave guard and go for 40 skellis with a necromancer, almost not wipe-able except for double turns, that leaves you with sad 50 points...upgrade your black knights to hexwraith...

Thanks for sound advice. But as good as 40 skellies sound, I still need two battlelines. It sadens me that Black Knights are still outclassed by Hexwraiths. I love the BK models, but I guess their LoN buff did nothing for them. 

Black knights are great with a mounted wight king who has lord of nagashizzar. 4 attacks each from rider and another 4 from the horses (lance double damage on the charge!)

then if you had van hels on them...they’re actually quite a scary unit 

To the OP. I think the Zombie Dragon is generally better off being ridden by a VL where it can benefit from the command ability to reroll hits (4+ is pretty meh on a 300 point model). The Terrorghiest is a much better option for a solo monster imo.

1K is really tough to build lists in though. Not a whole lot of room past the necessities (which imo is a VL, 1-2 Necros, 40 skeletons, 5-10 dire wolves, and some sort of hammer).

I highly recommend morghast at 1K. Grand host of nagash get a free attack for all morghast a included, so archai have 4 attacks each, harbingers 6 attacks each! With your VL an extra attack from there. 

Legion of night is also great for morghast sad you can ambush with harbingers 9” and utilise the 3D6 charge!! 

6 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

To the OP. I think the Zombie Dragon is generally better off being ridden by a VL where it can benefit from the command ability to reroll hits (4+ is pretty meh on a 300 point model). The Terrorghiest is a much better option for a solo monster imo.

Yes, the ZD's 4+ save seem to be its weakness, and expensive model that is relatively easy to take out. I do not doubt it's way better when ridden by a VL, but then I think that one model will take too much space in a 1k army. I have always felt having one model totally dominating its army is kind of boring, and a weakness if taken out quickly. My local players often run Demons or Seraphon, which was my main reason for not considering a Terrorgheist. However, in hindsight, its attacks seem slightly better than the ZD's.

I guess a Zombie Dragon can be magnetized anyway, so I can swap with a VL later.

1 hour ago, Dracothjay said:

I highly recommend morghast at 1K. Grand host of nagash get a free attack for all morghast a included, so archai have 4 attacks each, harbingers 6 attacks each! With your VL an extra attack from there. 

My main reason to take Grand Host was to have GG as battleline, but I see your point.

I love building 1k-1.5k lists...

very demanding and frustrating, but you really start to think about what to take and how to play.

Having a decent idea only to be missing BLs or being 20 points over/50 under screaming at the scrollbuilder ??

very demanding and frustrating, but you really start to think about what to take and how to play.

Having a decent idea only to be missing BLs or being 20 points over/50 under screaming at the scrollbuilder ??

2 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

Legion of night is also great for morghast sad you can ambush with harbingers 9” and utilise the 3D6 charge!! 

The number of attacks is based off the weapons not the version of Morghast.

Hey there. You started your post:

13 hours ago, Bohemond said:

I really want a skeleton army

Skelly army is all around big units of skeletons (30/40) and necromancers to buff them and bring them back to life.

Grand Host of Nagash allegiance provides best recursion with extra Legions Innumerable.

Also note that Chosen Guardians are huge tool you can build around.

I'd with something like this:

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Leaders
Necromancer (110)
- General
- Trait: Master of Death 
- Artefact: Ossific Diadem 
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Grave-sand Timeglass 
- Lore of the Deathmages: Decrepify
Battleline
2 x Morghast Archai (220)
- Spirit Halberds
- Grand Host of Nagash Battleline (Nagash General)
30 x Skeleton Warriors (240)
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Spears
Total: 920 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 82

Left there 80 points open for some cosmetic options. If you have no idea just add 10 more skeletons to complete one unit.

I ran Neferata, Vampire Lord, 40 x Skeleton, 10 x Skeleton & 10 x Skeleton the other day and must be honest and say that I really didn't struggle at all - and that was in a 3-way game against Nurgle and Stormcast.  I lost 1 unit of 10 Skeletons in total...

1 minute ago, RuneBrush said:

I ran Neferata, Vampire Lord, 40 x Skeleton, 10 x Skeleton & 10 x Skeleton the other day and must be honest and say that I really didn't struggle at all - and that was in a 3-way game against Nurgle and Stormcast.  I lost 1 unit of 10 Skeletons in total...

That's why I always include Mortach in my lists. They are just too good to skip imho. You lose trait because its unique, but comon... just read warscroll :)

2 hours ago, Honk said:

Ha ha, I know that feeling! ? I’m often stuck between enjoying the challenge and annoyance at not being able to field what I want. 

56 minutes ago, Pawiak said:

Leaders
Necromancer (110)
- General
Necromancer (110)
Battleline
- Spirit Halberds
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Spears

This looks like a strong list. Thanks, I’ll take it into consideration.  Also, may I ask why you choose these artifacts and traits?

9 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

Also, may I ask why you choose these artifacts and traits?

Sure.

For traits in skeleton army your main choices are (specific on Necromancer):

Master of Death - to bring back more skeletons,

Ancient Strategist - to secure charge(combined with warhorn almost guarantees charge),

Lord of Nagashizzar - against no shooting amies, then you can keep your Necromancer behind swarm of skeletons.

Artifacts:

Ossific Diadem - extra ward in 12'' - make your skeletons have 5+ vs no rend enemies, then 6+ Deathless Minions, then 6+ Diadem ward; vs rend enemies just double 6+ save,

Deathforged Chain - vs shooting,

Timeglass and Shards are just extra ranged damage.

Those two choices are highly dependant on your play style. Against shooting armies I like to keep my Necromancers behind obstacles, just buff minions and send them in. Against non-shooters keep safe distance, just enough to secure buffs debuffs, but well protected.

Also keep in mind that in some situations its much better to have cast Decripify or Overwhelming Dread, than Danse Macabre (when defending, or holding objectives).

Another advice I can give is to give a try to Deathmarch batallion. Wight King is like Necromancer, but with no casting.

3 hours ago, Pawiak said:

Hey there. You started your post:

Skelly army is all around big units of skeletons (30/40) and necromancers to buff them and bring them back to life.

Grand Host of Nagash allegiance provides best recursion with extra Legions Innumerable.

Also note that Chosen Guardians are huge tool you can build around.

I'd with something like this:

Leaders
Necromancer (110)
- General
Necromancer (110)
Battleline
- Spirit Halberds
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Spears

Left there 80 points open for some cosmetic options. If you have no idea just add 10 more skeletons to complete one unit.

Actually 80 points would complete both units due to the horde discount, which is why 40 is the optimal size for skeletons by far (otherwise I would personally not bother with them and go with Dire Wolves instead).

5 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

Well you said add 10 more skeletons to complete one unit. You would actually get 20 to complete both units. Thought you might have missed the discount rule.

You are right I ment both units

3 hours ago, Bohemond said:
4 hours ago, Pawiak said:

Leaders
Necromancer (110)
- General
Necromancer (110)
Battleline
- Spirit Halberds
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Spears

This looks like a strong list. Thanks, I’ll take it into consideration.  Also, may I ask why you choose these artifacts and traits?

Keep in mind, you can only have one Artefact in your army. The only way to get multiple Artefacts is to include battalions, as per: 

ARTEFACTS OF POWER

If a GRAND HOST OF NAGASH army includes any HEROES, then one may bear an Artefact of Nagash. 

You may choose one additional HERO to have an Artefact of Nagash for each warscroll battalion in your army.

6 hours ago, Pawiak said:

Ossific Diadem - extra ward in 12'' - make your skeletons have 5+ vs no rend enemies, then 6+ Deathless Minions, then 6+ Diadem ward; vs rend enemies just double 6+ save,

It never occured to me that ward saves are "stackable" this way, that is actually kind of awesome. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

2 hours ago, Bohemond said:

It never occured to me that ward saves are "stackable" this way, that is actually kind of awesome. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Funny thing is that you can actually save for the damage, then redirect damage to guardian and then save again :)

2 hours ago, Pawiak said:

Funny thing is that you can actually save for the damage, then redirect damage to guardian and then save again :)

Yes, the FAQ for the first cohort validated the triple/quadruple invuln. stacking...quite good

Archived