AoS 2

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/15/2018 at 1:17 PM, Forrix said:

Nothing but pure speculation. I'm assuming its some changes to the core 4 pages of rules to coincide with GHB 2018. Here's to hoping it has some stuff to help low wound characters survive against shooting longer.

nobody wants gaunt summoners on balewinds to survive longer.

@Gaz Taylor and other people doubting the possibility of a "new edition", we are now well past the Time of Trib Speculations ! 

What we know so far : 

- GW said it enough on WarCom and Facebook, Malign Portents heralds something big for AOS, lasting many months this year. I'd like to think of it like the "Gathering Storms" of 40k.

- AOS has since January 2018 : a new logo, a new FAQ system (aligned on 40k), a new Battletome format* (think the "Updated March 2018" mention at the end for exemple), etc. And two GHB and 40k 8th Ed. to take inspiration from.

- After a long break, GW is churning out new Battletomes fast. They probably don't want to invalidate them (at least the recent ones*) with a new edition. So "rules change" means IMO "rules reorganization", with the core rules remaining (maybe the "setting, battlefield, etc." first part of it being adapted), with the addition of a 3-ways-to-play introduction and maybe some "advanced rules". So core rules, 3 ways to play, advanced rules.

So a New rulebook, i.e. starter book ala "Mighty Battles in an Age of Unending War", would have  a setting introduction similar to MP (and what @Turgol said last page) and could come with a new Starter set, which content may be : Stormcast Eternals (either Ruination or Sacrosanct Chambers) vs Death (Reanimant, Nighthaunt) or vs Aelves.

- - - 

These informations either are public / educated guesses / rumors, those coming from several sources, mainly on the (French) Warhammer Forum ;

(NB : Since the Heachi / Temouloun "case" I won't name them directly, but you can easily find them on the Warfo - I can tell you they have dropped a HUGE amount of news for 40k since January, that were 100% (!) correct).

So the French rumors are ; 

1. Age Of Sigmar will get an "evolution" around June (implied : an new Edition, the leakers being 40k players, they explicitly said they don't want to learn to play AOS before this "evolution"). So if it's about rules, we will surely get a new Main book, like @Morglum StormBasha said above. 

EDIT : the terms used were directly "an Update of the rules, happening mid-June". Once again, by guys mentioning Morathi and Custodes since last year. Oh and "turtles" for the Idoneth Deepkin...

2. GW Managers apparently had formations about the new rules, around February.

3. Infos about a new Starter set, notably what @Moonstone or @Mortarch  said, other Warfo users.

- - -

That's of course only rumors, but quite solid. I trust those sources. So I say : BRING IT ON :P 

@HorticulusTGA you make some good points but I still do not believe we will see a new edition. The current set of rules are well received by all types of players, with the generals handbook giving the framework to be competitive or narrative. Also because they can change this every year it’s an easy way of tweaking the game whilst keeping the core the same.

i do think we are in line for a new starter set, which will be based around the out come of the Malign Portents. I like what I’ve seen somebody say on Twitter, which is Nagash is planning on capturing Slaanesh to get all those Aelf souls. The big thing about the Malign Portents is the background change, not an new edition.

Locally there are two players, myself included, everyone else ripped the rules apart and some of them did try the game before deciding. I can see their angle and do agree with some of their critiques. To me the models and the support for them (painting tutorials, assembly instructions, novels) are what is making AoS worth involving.

I don't think we're going to see something radical. Considering that some work was done on the current publishing system and there doesn't seem any  discontent in how it's handled.  I expect some word clearing, perhaps a new rule here and there but nothing that couldn't fit on 4 pages. I see no problem, if they do decide to do something in the style that was described in the previous post.

I'd love to see Stormcast vs Aelves as those miniatures are what's mostly in my collection. I'll likely to skip, if it's SCE vs Death, unless if it comes with some nice LoS blocking terrain.

The rules are imo fine. Simple, tactictal and fun. The only thing I would like to see is somekind of "Look out Sir" roll for characters  within a X inch of unit of a simular unit type or the character target mechanism from 40K.

I am really looking forward for new starterset mini's!

Hopefully the rumours are true that we will see a new starterset! 

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

The rules are imo fine. Simple, tactictal and fun. The only thing I would like to see is somekind of "Look out Sir" roll for characters  within a X inch of unit of a simular unit type or the character target mechanism from 40K.

Seconding on that. And especially new starter set, although it's not a complete starter we are so used to. After all, the idea of editions must retire.

24 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

Seconding on that. And especially new starter set, although it's not a complete starter we are so used to. After all, the idea of editions must retire.

The starterset will be either:

•  Like Blightwar and Forgebane. (Two new characters and existing units. ) 
  • New miniatures for everthing.

Hopefully it's the second!

On 3/15/2018 at 6:19 PM, Gaz Taylor said:

Pretty much what @Forrix has said. Some people are speculating that we are going to see a new version of the game. Personally, it's not going to happen as we have the Generals Handbook and the core 4 page rules. I suspect we will see a new core set at some point in the future based upon the current narrative of the Malign Portents

I'll go along with that.

In the interim for everyone getting jittery I have taken the liberty of showing you a leaked version of the new rules*:

The rules

Nothing changes apart from:

measuring:

base to base,  at the shortest point. - skaven slave on a 4" scenic base will not be counted.

please remember that since nobody has seen a dragon let alone a guy trying to fight on the back of one, evidence of what he can and can't hit is a bit sketchy at best.

Shooting

any model not engaged in melee can shoot into a melee.

if the dude is in the unit then he's shooting the enemy in the face over his bro's shoulder

If the dude is not in the unit and shooting into a combat - he may not have wanted to  do it but dude riding the big thing said shoot, and apparently we're good enough not to hit our own dudes.

* this statement is a blatent lie.

I think a look out sir rule may tip the balance in certain armies favour tbh. I don’t play against a large variation of opponents (just a small gaming circle) but seraphon is one faction that springs to mind that would benefit greatly from a rule of this kind. I’m not saying that a lookout sir rule would be a bad idea - just one that would also result in the counter balance of that rule needing some work. 

All in all, my opinion is that if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, and aos sure ain’t broke. 

24 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

I think a look out sir rule may tip the balance in certain armies favour tbh. I don’t play against a large variation of opponents (just a small gaming circle) but seraphon is one faction that springs to mind that would benefit greatly from a rule of this kind. I’m not saying that a lookout sir rule would be a bad idea - just one that would also result in the counter balance of that rule needing some work. 

All in all, my opinion is that if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, and aos sure ain’t broke. 

There are still a number of armies that need real hero protection, and a hero targeting rule at like 8 wounds would go a long way.  I'm basically stuck with taking certain combinations of heroes, even if I would rather have different ones, because they are the only ones that can survive being shot at.

14 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

@HorticulusTGA you make some good points but I still do not believe we will see a new edition. The current set of rules are well received by all types of players, with the generals handbook giving the framework to be competitive or narrative. Also because they can change this every year it’s an easy way of tweaking the game whilst keeping the core the same.

i do think we are in line for a new starter set, which will be based around the out come of the Malign Portents. I like what I’ve seen somebody say on Twitter, which is Nagash is planning on capturing Slaanesh to get all those Aelf souls. The big thing about the Malign Portents is the background change, not an new edition.

You are totally right and we should first make clear what "new edition" means to us. :) 

I already said that, it means IMO that the rules will be reorganized, not drastically changed. At least not in a way that would interfere with the current Battletomes (Maggotkin, Legions Of Nagash, Daughters Of Khaine, Idoneth Deepkin) warscrolls and general rules.

The reorganization would serve to put the AOS main book to the same level of the 40k 8th one, who is, one must admit, a better general introduction to the world of 40k than the current "Mighty Battles in an Age of Unending Wars" is for AOS (for several reasons, some good some bad).

Note that the 40k 8th Rulebook very  existence doesn't prevent 1. 40k to have a GHB equivalent, Chapter approved, and 2. to take inspiration directly from AOS and the GHB awesome and innovative system (which indeed change drastically, i.e. relativises the notion of "new edition").

The reorganization would be a "new start" for AOS, like Malign Portents is, but for the whole game (and mostly on a fluff / setting perspective), and would be a good occasion to release a new Starter set.

1 hour ago, HorticulusTGA said:

The reorganization would serve to put the AOS main book to the same level of the 40k 8th one, who is, one must admit, a better general introduction to the world of 40k than the current "Mighty Battles in an Age of Unending Wars" is for AOS (for several reasons, some good some bad).

I am afraid you are lost in time, because "Mighty battles" is not the introductory book. We have "Getting started with the Age of Sigmar" since forever, and it's an awesome book. Way better than 40k combined.  Sorry, your info is obsolete. 

51 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

I am afraid you are lost in time, because "Mighty battles" is not the introductory book. We have "Getting started with the Age of Sigmar" since forever, and it's an awesome book. Way better than 40k combined.  Sorry, your info is obsolete. 

Warning : you behave once again in a kinda rude way, you know ? Speaking in a contemptuous, peremptory style really does not fit the spirit of TGA. You've done just that in the Britannia thread. 

Anyway. 

"Mighty Battles" is AOS introduction book, its purpose is to present the universe of Age of Sigmar and the Games Workshop hobby.

Exactly like "Warhammer 40,000" 8th. Ed. rulebook's purpose is to present the universe of Warhammer 40,000 and the Games Workshop hobby. 

"Getting started" exist for 40k and AOS as a lighter, more kids friendly introduction. It does not have the depth nor length of a true setting-wide introductory main book (at least in terms of rules and narrative).

My point remains :

1. Getting Started 40k and AOS (I have both) have the SAME contents for their respective universe.

2. "Mighty Battles" and "40k Rulebook" share the same purpose in the range (main book) but don't have equivalent contents.

Indeed, the second is full of rules + well established fluff + modelism tips, as the first one have an inconsistent (with other AOS fluff) timeline, only vague explications of the nature of the Eight Realms (heck, Malign Portents and the Traveler's Guide to the Mortal Realms are doing a better job at it), and doesn't give a good overview of the armies at play.

"Mighty Battle" is a great book (for fluff and narrative), I love it, and if it had maybe less contents than its 40k counterpart it was because AOS was "new born" back then (both in terms of releases and in terms of ... general design/product direction IMO).

Now, with all the recent development in the fluff and the new armies, AOS need a bigger, more structured introduction books, giving better and greater access to the AOS universe for the wider wargaming audience.

We'll get that in June.

18 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

"Getting started" exist for 40k and AOS as a lighter, more kids friendly introduction. It does not have the depth nor length of a true setting-wide introductory main book (at least in terms of rules and narrative).

that's not true. Quite the opposite, in fact. Also because "Mighty battles" is much more about the plot and RW than the setting itself in comparison to the "Getting started" which is about everything in details and does what it is made for.

30 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

that's not true. Quite the opposite, in fact. Also because "Mighty battles" is much more about the plot and RW than the setting itself in comparison to the "Getting started" which is about everything in details and does what it is made for.

Eh? That is precisely his point.

6 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

He is of the opposite opinion which I don't agree with. I think the introductory book is "Getting started", not the "Mighty Battles", and so we already have it.

But it's not is the thing. It's not the main rulebook nor the introduction rulebook. (That was Mighty Battles.) Both are also vastly inferior to the 40k rulebook in my opinion. I blame the fact that they are largely focused on just two sub factions. 

Getting started is a 90 page magizne. It's not the equivalent of Mighty battles or the 40k rulebook no matter how much you like it. 

The “Getting Started with Age of Sigmar” magazine is the equivalent of the “Getting Started with Warhammer 40,000” magazine. It is absolutely not the equivalent of the 8th edition 40K rulebook. Let’s present facts as facts and opinions as opinions. 

As somebody who had no background in either Warhammer Fantasy Battles or Warhammer 40,000, I can tell you that I found both “Getting Started” products very useful in sketching out the lore in a very rough sense. The 8th edition 40K rulebook, however, takes it so many steps further. I for one would love to see a book like that produced for Age of Sigmar, as that is significantly different from the Mighty Battles book and would be a phenomenal place not only to collect important aspects of the lore to date but to also present repackaged rules (including a demonstration of a bunch of the phases like the 40K book has, at it can help to show tricky oft-asked-about issues like piling in and such). So, like 40K, the basic rules themselves remain free, but if you want the lore in the beautiful tome, you’ll buy it. I know I will. 

I think a new starter set should include the rules expanded with pictures and diagrams as they are in the getting started magazine and all the recent FAQs factored in , an extended fluff section covering the realms as they are now with details of the great cities the explanation of the realms from the recent video and a whole bunch of environmental art. While they are at it they could add in an expanded version of skirmish which should work well with a starter sets worth of minis. 

As for the factions, an all new death faction and a new chamber of Stormcast featuring wizards, war machines and female liberators would be pretty awesome. 

I wonder if we will get a tease at Adepticon. It was at adepticon that the new 40k was first announced. Just 3 days to go! 

In line with most of the posters here I can't see a completely new rule set (by this I mean things like bringing back strength and toughness, or a change in the battleshock rules) but there are plenty of minor things I could see being cleared up / changed.

• It would be nice to have enhanced protection for softer characters (I quite like the suggestion of somebody else about a -1 to hit for shooting at characters of 5 wounds or less. It could make some characters very hard to kill with shooting, but overall better than worse)
  • Turn by turn priority rolls seem to be one of the most common hang ups in terms of enjoying the game, so maybe a different core rule here (I like the suggestion that you roll for turn 1, finishing first gives +1, then a chance to steal the initiative at the beginning of each battle round)
  • Base to base as a standard, along with a chart giving intended base sizes for all models.
  • Incorporate FAQ into the rules

In general I would like a new starter box - a new Stormcast chamber and Death like @Chikout says would be perfect and then a decent sized hardback book in a similar style to the 40K 8th Edition book. Plenty of space to get the background and setting solidly in place, space for the core rules, and space to offer some advanced options.

17 hours ago, MrMemetic said:

There are still a number of armies that need real hero protection, and a hero targeting rule at like 8 wounds would go a long way.  I'm basically stuck with taking certain combinations of heroes, even if I would rather have different ones, because they are the only ones that can survive being shot at.

Which armies would benefit? Just looking to explore your point  for further.

Hi guys 

reading the thread and enjoying the positive way things are discussed on TGA  

Regarding hero protection Iron Jawz would benefit as all its hero’s except the cabbage are slow moving 4” as well as not included in the iron fist battalion, which is why you never see mega boss on foot included in any serious lists . 

Granted it would not solve all the problems the boyz are facing at the moment but all help is gratefuly accepted ?

Archived