AoS 2

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's only a rumour that something big is happening in the summer for AoS. Combined with the fact that recent battletomes are missing the rulesheet is why people are speculating that there will be a 2nd edition.

As long as they keep to the free rules and warscrolls idea, this is a good thing as it'll likely be a tidy up, and maybe a few new ideas borrowed from 8th edition such as beig able to shield characters a little

Pretty much what @Forrix has said. Some people are speculating that we are going to see a new version of the game. Personally, it's not going to happen as we have the Generals Handbook and the core 4 page rules. I suspect we will see a new core set at some point in the future based upon the current narrative of the Malign Portents

5 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Pretty much what @Forrix has said. Some people are speculating that we are going to see a new version of the game. Personally, it's not going to happen as we have the Generals Handbook and the core 4 page rules. I suspect we will see a new core set at some point in the future based upon the current narrative of the Malign Portents

The Theory is that the 4 pages are going to be changed.

I don’t see major changes coming, as they have confirmed sticking with the small core ruies + build up on warscrolls and GHB model. AoS 2 rumour rather refers to a new starter start featuring SCE and a death army. Some changes to the core rules are possible and even likely if the core set scenario is true. But only adjustments; the model itself is staying.

10 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

AoS 2 could be an update to the rules less of a whole new edition.

2 minutes ago, PJetski said:

This rumour has been around since they released the KO battletome and it didn't have the 4 page rules in the back. Surely they would have done something in that time?

10 minutes ago, Turgol said:

I don’t see major changes coming, as they have confirmed sticking with the small core ruies + build up on warscrolls and GHB model. AoS 2 rumour rather refers to a new starter start featuring SCE and a death army. Some changes to the core rules are possible and even likely if the core set scenario is true. But only adjustments; the model itself is staying.

20 minutes ago, Envyus said:

26 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

27 minutes ago, Lucio said:

There's only a rumour that something big is happening in the summer for AoS. Combined with the fact that recent battletomes are missing the rulesheet is why people are speculating that there will be a 2nd edition.

As long as they keep to the free rules and warscrolls idea, this is a good thing as it'll likely be a tidy up, and maybe a few new ideas borrowed from 8th edition such as beig able to shield characters a little

28 minutes ago, Forrix said:

Nothing but pure speculation. I'm assuming its some changes to the core 4 pages of rules to coincide with GHB 2018. Here's to hoping it has some stuff to help low wound characters survive against shooting longer.

This is all exactly what I hoped: very few changes!

20 minutes ago, Envyus said:

Again, I can't see it happening unless it's something like incorprating the Generals Handbook and the rules together. But I still can't see that happening.

2 minutes ago, PJetski said:

This rumour has been around since they released the KO battletome and it didn't have the 4 page rules in the back. Surely they would have done something in that time?

Exactly. I believe that the reason the rules weren't included was because it gave them an extra four pages to play around with for the book. I can see other reasons why you would do this, such as having the flexibility to change the core rules if you wanted to or having players go to your web site to get the rules, but I think the real reason is to fit more in the book.

18 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Again, I can't see it happening unless it's something like incorprating the Generals Handbook and the rules together. But I still can't see that happening.

Why not, you can't see it changing to six pages and some stuff being added in?

14 minutes ago, Envyus said:

Why not, you can't see it changing to six pages and some stuff being added in?

not at this moment in time. Depends on the direction GW want to take the game but the core rules are solid and fine. It's easier for them to tweak the Generals Handbook at the moment and use the army meta to tweak how things work. For example, one thing some players seem to be annoyed about is long ranged shooting sniping out characters, but we are now seeing a move towards "Deep Striking" units, buffs to make it more difficult to hit things, or buffs that make things faster. So I see it that if some armies are focusing on one thing to deal with units, they might get a surprise as their opponents can suddenly appear on the board and hit them in combat.

So I see core rules staying at four pages but maybe a redesign of how they do the Generals Handbook. Depends what they do with their model range over next few years, as I think the shift will be more towards less models but newer bigger kits/models

The 4 page core rules are exactly what draws me to AoS. I've always preferred fantasy models, but I've got loads of 40k Space Marines and only played 40k growing up because WHFB felt stale. AoS brought me back in because I don't have to invest to find at least the core rules of my army. And the app approach is so much more modern!

I don't think that it's going to be aos 2, more like aos 1.5, where they add rules of 1 stuff to core rules, clean some of the outdated rules no-one uses (model to model measurement as an example) and add maybe (hopefully) some small restrictions to shooting such as look out sir rule and shooters have to shoot enemies that are within 3" or something similar. All of this stuff could easily be added without destroying any existing battletomes (and if some units are expected to become too much stronger after any changes, ghb18 should add some points to those units).

Also I personally don't like the whole "4 pages of rules for the sake of 4 pages of rules"-idea. What I want is that they give clear ideas how certain rules work. I wouldn't mind if it took 1 whole page to explain properly (with pictures) how pile-inning works and so worth. I would gladly read 10 pages of rules as long as they are well written and leave nothing open for speculation (note that I'm not asking for more rules (other than the shooting ones) I just want clearer and less vague explanations). I also wish that any of these faq/errata changes will be added to rules.

42 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

It's easier for them to tweak the Generals Handbook at the moment and use the army meta to tweak how things work.

My thoughts exactly.  The last three Battletome releases have gone a long way toward solidifying game balance.  I don't see any business reason they would go and disrupt that with changes to the core rules.  The models are selling like hotcakes.  Last quarter sales were up 50% y/y (granted, much of that is 40K, but not all).  I also don't think it is something the community at large is asking for.  Some people are dissatisfied with the shooting phase (for the record, I'm not one of them), but the meta has shifted pretty heavily away from it as you mentioned.

I will say, I am also one of the people who enjoy the much smaller ruleset we have compared to the tome I carried around playing Fantasy.

But that doesn't mean I don't think it could be improved or clearer.  They have FAQ's where they have broken apart the moment into more defined ways.  They discuss terrain in terms that are clearer than what the 4 pages talk about. Etc.

I think it would be really nice if the AOS 4 pager became a 5 pager or 6 whatever, but it took some of the Vague wording, and just made it clearer with the rules determinations they've already made.  I like small rules, but its not THAT small when I have a 4 page rulebook, 3-5 pages of General Handbook 'addons' and then 10 pages of FAQs to AOS/Generals Handbook/My Armybook.

1 hour ago, Richelieu said:

My thoughts exactly.  The last three Battletome releases have gone a long way toward solidifying game balance.  I don't see any business reason they would go and disrupt that with changes to the core rules.  The models are selling like hotcakes.  Last quarter sales were up 50% y/y (granted, much of that is 40K, but not all).  I also don't think it is something the community at large is asking for.  Some people are dissatisfied with the shooting phase (for the record, I'm not one of them), but the meta has shifted pretty heavily away from it as you mentioned.

The battletomes are some of the best writing GW has ever done, rules wise. LoN, Maggotkin, and DoK are some of the first rule books that were actually...thought out.

Haven't read Maggotkin. LoN was fine lorewise with a very good setting description if read alongside MP. A bit short on the story part. DoK was a disappointment on setting description (pretty much missing) and the story, though well thought and interesting, was also very short. We need more meat!

I'm in the camp that believes that there may be some evolutionary change along with some FAQ and Errata rollup to reissue the 4 pages rules(who knows, it might expand to 5, but won't the same 8 as 40k and certainly not bigger). If AoS does get a new rule of two inspired by 40k, I still think it'll still remain the simpler game between the two. If there is a big change, I'm hoping for a revamp to the matched play points system by moving the current system to a 40k power level thing and make the 2000 point system a real points system with unit size options(i.e. adding one model to a unit with min sizes) and weapon/gear options.

1 hour ago, Turgol said:

Haven't read Maggotkin. LoN was fine lorewise with a very good setting description if read alongside MP. A bit short on the story part. DoK was a disappointment on setting description (pretty much missing) and the story, though well thought and interesting, was also very short. We need more meat!

Yeah, I don't care about the fluff. The crunch was exquisite though.

I said this in other places, but I would hope they would put the Hints & Tips, and the Description what a warscroll (perhaps for Warscroll Battalions, too)

The point is. Both are important for beginners even if they don't buy a Battletome at first. I mean, these are the rules how models with the same weapon twice works, or how to handle random values. Besides, there were some updates made for Hints & Tips and the Warscroll Description, you only got, when you have a newer battletome (last thing was that your Warscroll Battalion can have the allegiance of the units inside instead of the battalion. That description was first used in Blades of Khorne and never was part of the errata so older Battletomes would have the rule, too).

Also the FAQ should be a little more included into the book. Yeah we have 4 pages of rules. But we needed about 9 pages Errata + FAQ for those 4 pages. Something like the Movement Table in the FAQ section should be part of the rulepages.

10 hours ago, Choombatta said:

Some of us have only played AoS with model to model measurements, so I would not call it "outdated", just not used by most.

Did you guys play, that models like archaon never could hit anything with his sword, the Heads and claws because the weapons are out of range when measureing from them? Or do you measure from any point of the model for attacking?

Or that a model holding a spear in from of him will need most of his movement just for turning

I have some pictures about this:

Movement:

alnYtU2QVTBqQiGwOf87K0QdyF73SjcReoJ5Ak82

QaJ9EWs6ylQLq_YhVNJtGcWB0oHECBsM64YYQ6Mt

the top model has used 3" of its movement just for turning because the speartip has moved 3" during that

Archaon

MnCIPtGtRsYpd5jdKR7oPaIlO18d89MbBsemK-2t

Archaons sword has a weapon range of 1" but after he is about 8" over the ground and in the middle of a at least 130mm Roundbase (if I remember correctly), he will never hit anything when measureing from his weapon.

DAAsJLtZQkPNlD7B02KYMi1rX2z3ZfYSWCOKi_Uy

Claws have 1" Weaponrange but are about 2-3" away from nearly every model.

_5bAJ5tr6VBl20fij9GjKtJFRa2A6C2x6tQO4s7K

Heads have 3" weapon range but are between 4-5" away from any enemy.

Things like that are the point why most players use base to base measuring because the pose of the model shouldn't have influence on the rules (after a model is moving in the background all the time, not holding the same pose for the entire battle).

Archived