Freeguild of Ghur: The Beast Within (Kroot Conversion)

Agree with Thundercake on the shields, something lighter and more tribal like the Seraphonor or Beastmen,that said it also makes sense to keep them in line with their inspiration to avoid confusion about the unit type

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those look really ace, suitably fantasy, work just as well as orks in terms of cross over. Im going to counter with other comments and say I actually like the shields. The seraphon shields would look really cool, maybe for a unit with a different weapon option, shields and slings, im sure theres some easy to get sling bits from other suppliers, or a gs tutorial...just throwing ideas out.

Very cool, look foward to those beasts and riders. Any plans for characters?

3 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

Ghouls might work. I did an old ghoul riding wolf conversion with a little leg bending and some greenstuff. They’re suitably lean that with a head swap they might pass for kroot 

Yeah that’s an awesome idea thank you, definitely gonna use that thank you 

3 hours ago, Thundercake said:

love it so far. only two things I have as critiques I have is that I don't like those shields, they seem to thick. I dunno what else could be used, maybe serpahon shields but its a minor thing. Also, that mage looks more like a general with a stately war banner to me. I don't see anything on him that says magic to me.

Yeah the mage might end up getting used as a ageneral when I convert a skyfire as a mage. As far as the shields go I just used the beastmen shield to keep consistent, open to swapping them out. 

I am glad to see that this project is progressing. 

Back in 40k 3rd edition when the Kroot had their own list in WD they had a Tracker which was a conversion of a Kroot riding a old style plastic cold one that had its head swapped with that of a Krootox.

Quick google for the picture from the WD 

kroot_mercenaries_03.jpg

This might make a much better outrider count as and then the Kroot hounds can be Griffhounds count as again.

Edit: Make picture work

7 hours ago, Lucio said:

Agree with Thundercake on the shields, something lighter and more tribal like the Seraphonor or Beastmen,that said it also makes sense to keep them in line with their inspiration to avoid confusion about the unit type

Yeah the ungor shields are a bit thick, I’ll look into seraphim shields, thanks for tip!

5 hours ago, Kronos said:

Those look really ace, suitably fantasy, work just as well as orks in terms of cross over. Im going to counter with other comments and say I actually like the shields. The seraphon shields would look really cool, maybe for a unit with a different weapon option, shields and slings, im sure theres some easy to get sling bits from other suppliers, or a gs tutorial...just throwing ideas out.

Very cool, look foward to those beasts and riders. Any plans for characters?

Thank you so much! I’m thinking of using bigger more ornate shields for the Greatswords. The riders have me excited, and I’m hoping to convert a tzaangor shaman into a battlemage. 

4 hours ago, Trokair said:

I am glad to see that this project is progressing. 

Back in 40k 3rd edition when the Kroot had their own list in WD they had a Tracker which was a conversion of a Kroot riding a old style plastic cold one that had its head swapped with that of a Krootox.

Quick google for the picture from the WD 

kroot_mercenaries_03.jpg

This might make a much better outrider count as and then the Kroot hounds can be Griffhounds count as again.

Edit: Make picture work

Oh that’s a great conversion, I might whip that up as a General on horse, thanks for suggestion!

3 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

I keep scouring ebay for the old Knarloc riders but unfortunately have managed to find any that dont look like poor recasts. They were some of forgeworlds nicest models and a shame to see them discontinued

Yeah the ones I ordered are awesome but I’m still concerned they’re a recast. They have the GW branding in the sprites so I dunno ?

2 hours ago, White Horse Wargaming said:

Absolutely fantastic conversion work.

Thank you so much! It’s hreat when you put in this work and people respond, every kind word is appreciated!

On March 19, 2018 at 12:13 PM, AthlorianStoners said:

*Cross post with the Let’s Chat: Freeguild thread

I’m now well underway into the planning stages and I’m at a loss as to what I should actually take in terms of warscrolls to build the army. What’s good and in what numbers? What should I avoid? 

My current plan was something like this: 

1 General on Griffin 

1 General on Foot

1 General on Mount  

1 Battlemage (Allied) 

10 Archers 

20 Handgunners 

20 Greatswords

3 Gryph Knights 

4 Gryphhounds (Allied) 

1 Hellblaster Volley Cannon (Allied)

That doesn’t bring me up to the full 2000 points but it’s a start.

what else should I get and what do you think of the current list? Please any help is appreciated :) 

Instead of a Hellblaster, you might want to consider a Kroot Kannon. The Skaven Warp Lightning Cannon would be a good base for a conversion.

Since the Lightning Cannon is so big, maybe use the Steam Tank rules? You could add some Skaven Jezzails as the smaller guns, and perhaps a Kroot commander in a scratch built turret at the top? You'd have to play with bits, but it sounds like this army has inspired you (me, too).

12 hours ago, MacDuff said:

Since the Lightning Cannon is so big, maybe use the Steam Tank rules? You could add some Skaven Jezzails as the smaller guns, and perhaps a Kroot commander in a scratch built turret at the top? You'd have to play with bits, but it sounds like this army has inspired you (me, too).

Yeah that could definitely work! I may drop my idea for Allied prosecutors and a wizard then, see if I can fit the steam tank in.

• 2 weeks later...

Photo update tomorrow but I’ve now completed: 

- 40 Handgunners 

- 20 Guard 

- 20 Archers 

- 3 Alrernate Generals on foot 

- 1 General on Griffin 

- 2 Fulminators 

-  4 Outriders 

- 1 Cannon 

- 1 Hellblaster Volley Gun

I just need to make the crews for the two guns then I’ll call the building phase done for the moment. Then get on to painting. 

Would people reccomend a brown or green undercoat over a white one?

As promised, a big photo update!!!

Made a lot of progress so far, most of the bare builds on these guys are done. A lot of them I want to go ahead and convert/customise more, adding smaller details and stuff like that. 

Knarloc is a great kit, loved it to bits. I thought two guys with guns was boring and the opportunity to do a mounted banner was too good to pass up. This will count as my Freeguild on Griffin. I’m thinking of adding wings, lemme know what you guys think.

3620830B-8EE6-498C-9ACE-E5EC9F85EE38.jpeg.03ceab4cd5c96c886268578893bf6322.jpeg37D970D7-A0D9-4546-B733-60B97698183E.jpeg.53e9c59dc2f6010d1faf7aca4c492e0c.jpegA52A6A0B-A604-4F84-84F8-3843CD33387F.jpeg.80c2eaddaaba780cc551f99768c59379.jpegDF9D9C36-EB1F-4F47-9F78-5B57004EED93.jpeg.365ff322ff6e5e27479eae4655e89f39.jpeg

The smaller knarlocs are going to be Fulminators. I had planned on them being Demigryph Knights but my third model was too deformed to work with :/. Fulminators is a cool alt I think and they’re not too strong afaik, I don’t want this to be a super strong force or anything like that. 

1956F218-39E5-495D-BAC8-25EB51E8F918.jpeg.df33879b78fc642f8c9311a5364f679e.jpegC13EB787-D8EC-49C3-80BE-74F997E65D82.jpeg.9fa3530c0679aec41326eee8653703d9.jpeg6D18E839-C685-4D8B-AD58-4AB638C8A1FF.jpeg.e29b3a88ba2060c42d3fcf1f7a2f3dfb.jpeg2E4266BF-A1C8-4E1C-A779-550D6531DE3B.jpeg.582dfe10aaa4d03b436e754d409b072d.jpeg

The Krootox is going to be my cannon. I didn’t like the mounted rider,didn’t want too many mounted units to avoid a cavalry look and thought this was a cooler twist, with the Krootox more intelligent and following orders, directing the Cannon itself. I’ll build a crew for him soon, maybe using smaller bodies?

33698264-9755-4CDF-8C1F-EF4CC26DF8BF.jpeg.c70bae58b0d56a3d5e2ad229538837e2.jpeg

7EE64163-6C9D-4397-9529-CF32AB595160.jpeg.23f271a02cb1a3503f23fce41479c708.jpegThis was the gun from the Knarloc kit. I left it off, then thought about using it in another model. Ended up building a hellblazter alternative. Again, I’ll whip up a crew for this bad boy. Really happy with this as I think it’s kinda unique.

FC5ED0F6-9D05-4CDE-9A0C-5EEE4C343638.jpeg.fc5044526cab3303f7ee4260a05ea8a9.jpeg4C1CD422-FF33-42CF-B490-F4137A07EFB8.jpeg.ed1b8d4a22d7e82784857bd845a44a3f.jpeg90511FF8-66F4-4527-BC3E-6B85473AE94D.jpeg.73972b2220d91e79e9cd831dd664d7fc.jpeg

This is the force so far, the better part of 2000 points. I’d still like to make some flying winged Kroot, and convert the the Stormcast Demigryph things at some stage, but this could be everything for the moment. 

ED5DCB70-6BA9-4090-90FF-3E1BEFF8BBED.jpeg.e949364f2f0b18baf0574caf48d02a97.jpeg

SUGGESTIONS WANTED for a colour scheme. I’m a little lost at the moment as to how to paint them up. Up until now I’ve thought of doing simple Kroot colours with more gold styled weapons, but if anyone has a better idea please let me know. 

All feedback is very much appreciated please let me know what you think!

I’d put spears and shields on the counts as fulminators who for what it’s worth are considered highly competitive these days. Currently they look like outriders if you’re freeguild (mounted infantry with a gun) similarly the counts as griffin could do with wings to adequately represent his role. Other than that they’re looking great.

14 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

I’d put spears and shields on the counts as fulminators who for what it’s worth are considered highly competitive these days. Currently they look like outriders if you’re freeguild (mounted infantry with a gun) similarly the counts as griffin could do with wings to adequately represent his role. Other than that they’re looking great.

Yeah I used up all my beastmen bits but have another kit coming. When that arrives I’ll swap the weapons out and give them shields, the current arms are just placeholders. 

Damn I didn’t know they were good, from just their 1d4chan write up I assumed they were the worst of the 3 builds. 

Mom thinking maybe High Elf dragon wings, though they could be a little large. 

In terms of paint scheme what would you reccomend? 

Loving the look and the conversions.  No Idea on colour schemes, maybe try out a few different ones you like on some basic squad members and see where that takes you. 

If you are looking for smaller wings for the two Knarloc Hunters to go back to the Demigriff idea for exampel then have a look at Dark Eldar Scurges.

Also from memory the Dweller in the Dark from LToR range might work, they are defiantly smaller than Balrog wings but I can not remember by how much.  There are also old metal Bloddthirster or Lord of Change wings that might work, have a hunt on ebay and see if anything shakes. 

This is really making me wish I could actualise any of my AoS Kroot ideas but alas I have neither the time or money right now, maybe next year. 

7 hours ago, izirath said:

Here you go, finally found em! And a freeguild guard on 25 mm base for sizing. 

DSC_1642.JPG

Oooohhh of those I prefer the balrog look I think, though could be too larg.

4 hours ago, Trokair said:

Loving the look and the conversions.  No Idea on colour schemes, maybe try out a few different ones you like on some basic squad members and see where that takes you. 

If you are looking for smaller wings for the two Knarloc Hunters to go back to the Demigriff idea for exampel then have a look at Dark Eldar Scurges.

Also from memory the Dweller in the Dark from LToR range might work, they are defiantly smaller than Balrog wings but I can not remember by how much.  There are also old metal Bloddthirster or Lord of Change wings that might work, have a hunt on ebay and see if anything shakes. 

This is really making me wish I could actualise any of my AoS Kroot ideas but alas I have neither the time or money right now, maybe next year. 

Thanks for tips, the dweller wings or of balrog wings could definitely work. 

If you get the chance please make an army, I’d love to see what you come up with.

3 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

Thanks for tips, the dweller wings or of balrog wings could definitely work. 

If you get the chance please make an army, I’d love to see what you come up with.

Will do. I was originally thinking of using either the  the Wanderers list or Tzaangors based list but the Deepkin are also looking like they might work, that or I just want an excuse to eventually get that Turtle.

18 minutes ago, Trokair said:

Will do. I was originally thinking of using either the  the Wanderers list or Tzaangors based list but the Deepkin are also looking like they might work, that or I just want an excuse to eventually get that Turtle.

Wowww the turtle would look great, I can see it now.

Archived