Kroot as Free Peoples

AthlorianStoners

So I’m thinking of running a free people army using Kroot models. 

The ideas I have so far are: 

- Kroot Carnivores as Handgunners. 

- Kroot Carnivores with Bloodletter swords as Greatswords. 

- Kroot Shaper as Freeguild General. 

- Kroot Hounds as Demigryph knights. 

- Krootox as Steamtank or cannon, unsure here. 

- Great Gnarloc as Freeguild general on Griffin. 

What do people think of this, would you accept playing against it? Has anyone seen a similar army?

So I guess the first thing is, why? Like, what's the justification? Are you going to be converting the Kroot at all? Do you have some backstory about why the Kroot are in Age of Sigmar?

Basically, because you are pulling models from a range that is clearly not Fantasy, you need to have justification in some way of why you're doing it. In general, if it's because you're being cheap and want to re-use your existing 40k models in AoS... it's probably not going to be well received.

Not looking to shoot down your idea. But I personally would probably not play someone who just transplanted a 40k army into AoS. The Kroot probably fit in a bit better than most of the 40k stuff, but without conversion and the like it'd definitely have this stigma of 40k army attached to it.

Edit: I think also what makes it feel disjointed to an extent is that they're not Humans. They're xenos. Probably I would feel a bit better about it if they were treated as count as for like Bonesplitterz or something else. Dunno, that's just me.

21 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

So I guess the first thing is, why? Like, what's the justification? Are you going to be converting the Kroot at all? Do you have some backstory about why the Kroot are in Age of Sigmar?

Basically, because you are pulling models from a range that is clearly not Fantasy, you need to have justification in some way of why you're doing it. In general, if it's because you're being cheap and want to re-use your existing 40k models in AoS... it's probably not going to be well received.

Not looking to shoot down your idea. But I personally would probably not play someone who just transplanted a 40k army into AoS. The Kroot probably fit in a bit better than most of the 40k stuff, but without conversion and the like it'd definitely have this stigma of 40k army attached to it.

Edit: I think also what makes it feel disjointed to an extent is that they're not Humans. They're xenos. Probably I would feel a bit better about it if they were treated as count as for like Bonesplitterz or something else. Dunno, that's just me.

Nah I haven’t got any of the models yet, it’d be a completely new army. 

The primary impetus is that I hope to have one army from each grand alliance. This would be my order army. From there, I enjoy converting and would want to have my own flavour for an army, and this seemed like a cool way to go. 

In terms of converting the models, there would be a lot converting and customising involved I think. Obviously as this is all hypothetical atm as I don’t have anything yet, but in my head I see the modded up with Azyrite banners and symbols. The greatswords would be more armoured up. 

From what I can see the Kroot kits are more expensive than Freeguild, plus factoring in parts for converting and this doesn’t look to be a cheap endeavour. The Freeguild models themselves don’t appeal to me, I feel as though they’re very limited in what you can do with them. The lore however, of the free cities and mortal followers of Sigmar I do find very interesting. I see the potential here for a free city in Ghur, where the inhabitants have evolved and been altered by the magic of the realm. Plus i really the look of the range, and I don’t play 40K so this seems like a cool way to use the models. 

I don't like Kroot as part of the Tau Empire, the idea of them being their own faction has always made more sense to me.

The one thing that strikes me as a bit odd is your choice of hounds for demigryph knights: the hounds really aren't all that big.. So it'd be a bit like using goblin wolfriders as mournfang cavalry.  It might be a closer fit to use (regular) Knarlocs or the krootox as Demigryph, and the great knarlocs as a General on Griffin/Steam Tank.

29 minutes ago, Nutty said:

I don't like Kroot as part of the Tau Empire, the idea of them being their own faction has always made more sense to me.

The one thing that strikes me as a bit odd is your choice of hounds for demigryph knights: the hounds really aren't all that big.. So it'd be a bit like using goblin wolfriders as mournfang cavalry.  It might be a closer fit to use (regular) Knarlocs or the krootox as Demigryph, and the great knarlocs as a General on Griffin/Steam Tank.

I honestly haven’t seen how big they are, I just matched them up cause they had 4 legs haha. I didn’t realise Knarlocs were there own kit, are they forgeworkd?

Hello AthlorianStoners

I have considered a similar project in the past, there is a thread somewhere on this forum about it.

Rather than Free People have you considered Wanderers? They where the army (other than Tzzangors) that I felt best fitted the Kroot models.

Kroot Carnivores as the various infantry units. From my thinking at the time the double sided spear that the Wanderers have fits in really well with the Kroot both stylistically and size wise.

Krootox as Waywatchers, they have a long range shooting attack and enough wounds to be a Krootox.

Sharper as other Hero units.

The hounds where a little more difficult but if I do go with this army then two or three on a cavalry base would be count as for either of the mounted units, possibly with a Kroot handler and two kroot hounds per base.  

Youve certainly got a whole theme sorted, and they would easilly match the AoS universe, so dont see why it shouldnt be done and im sure it would look good.

Personally though Ive never been a huge fan of 'counts as'.  I much prefer the look of a force with lots of 'conversions', so in this case i would have a base of Kroot models (with some freeguild bits on some of them) with ragged freeguild models mixed in. Monsters or the big models would be mostly original models but converted to look ragged or ramshackle with mix of human and kroot riders/crew. All painted up the same it would very obviously be freeguild army but from some sort of outskirts city where the population mix with twisted mutants (or are turning into mutants!). 

@Trokair thanks for the tip! I’ll look into the wanderers range and see if thy fit better. Woodmen Kroot does have a nice appeal I must say. 

@Kramer yeah absolutely. I want this to become a signature army of mine so I’ll put in some serious work. 

@stato yeah for some of the more mundane units like Archers I was contemplating going pure Freeguild and then converting them to look more bestial. 

4 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

I honestly haven’t seen how big they are, I just matched them up cause they had 4 legs haha. I didn’t realise Knarlocs were there own kit, are they forgeworkd?

Didn't think they make them anymore- I was looking at one when I played Tau and they were going for £100+ on ebay. Still look cool! You could just swap in a seraphon dinosaur of some kind no?

I like the theme- they could be avatar style jungle themed, and perhaps mixing with seraphone could work?

2 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

@Trokair thanks for the tip! I’ll look into the wanderers range and see if thy fit better. Woodmen Kroot does have a nice appeal I must say. 

@Kramer yeah absolutely. I want this to become a signature army of mine so I’ll put in some serious work. 

@stato yeah for some of the more mundane units like Archers I was contemplating going pure Freeguild and then converting them to look more bestial. 

I think @Trokair also meant the play style fits the models a bit better. More wild hunters, less ranked and drilled hans gunners 

@hughwyeth yeah I’ve been doing the eBay searches, some of the forge world kits are gonna set me back haha. 

@Kramer ohhhh ok sweet sweet, yeah that does seem to make more sense. I think I’d rather run them as free guild as they’re more in line with the fluff I’m working on, and hopefully I’ll shed some of the 40K association (hopefully haha).

9 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

So I’m thinking of running a free people army using Kroot models. 

The ideas I have so far are: 

- Kroot Carnivores as Handgunners. 

- Kroot Carnivores with Bloodletter swords as Greatswords. 

- Kroot Shaper as Freeguild General. 

- Kroot Hounds as Demigryph knights. 

- Krootox as Steamtank or cannon, unsure here. 

- Great Gnarloc as Freeguild general on Griffin. 

What do people think of this, would you accept playing against it? Has anyone seen a similar army?

Creativity is the heart and soul of the hobby.

The mortal realms are vast, and filled with wonder ... I, for one, am look forward to see your interpretation.

If you decide to go ahead with the project, please drop in on the Painting Table (and feel free to post up your work in the Monthly Painting Thread).

As for playing against your army? It’s all GW product ... so it would be playable at a GW store (with suitable conversions).

Just keep an eye out for having the models and bases at the same size as the units you’re replacing (so folks don’t complain about ‘modeling for advantage’)

I considered using some Dark Eldar models as a base for a Valkia conversion. (Though I might just use the new DoK models instead...) so using 40k models in AoS isn’t an issue. I’ve heard of using Sylvaneth in an Eldar  (? ... I think it was exodite) Army. So why not?

John Blanche has a whole boatload of customized models ... using parts from all over the range. And he’s got more creative chops than I do.

So have fun with the conversion and share the progress!

7 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Creativity is the heart and soul of the hobby.

The mortal realms are vast, and filled with wonder ... I, for one, am look forward to see your interpretation.

If you decide to go ahead with the project, please drop in on the Painting Table (and feel free to post up your work in the Monthly Painting Thread).

As for playing against your army? It’s all GW product ... so it would be playable at a GW store (with suitable conversions).

Just keep an eye out for having the models and bases at the same size as the units you’re replacing (so folks don’t complain about ‘modeling for advantage’)

I considered using some Dark Eldar models as a base for a Valkia conversion. (Though I might just use the new DoK models instead...) so using 40k models in AoS isn’t an issue. I’ve heard of using Sylvaneth in an Eldar  (? ... I think it was exodite) Army. So why not?

John Blanche has a whole boatload of customized models ... using parts from all over the range. And he’s got more creative chops than I do.

So have fun with the conversion and share the progress!

Thanks for your encouragement l!! I’ve decided to start this army next week so I’m going to try and keep a regular update on its progress. 

9 hours ago, Nutty said:

Kroot are both part of the Tau Empire and their own faction. The Tau saved their homeworld from an ork waagh that nearly destroyed all the kroot. So the Kroot offer their services to the Tau first and foremost, but still hire themselves out to others. I imagine most Kroot if they had to choose between contracts of equal pay would go with the Tau first due to loyalties, but no guarantees. In the lore the Tau have even built Kroot Enclaves for some kroot to live on Tau worlds that are designed for their physiology too. Its neat. I would love to see Kroot become a thing and I so hope this rumor is true. Its been ages since a new xenos has truly joined the fray. Also allies for my Tau yay. Hopefully someday we can even hope for Vespid codex and Demiurg Codex as those are the other two "great' helpers of the Tau. 

I am one with the Kroot and the Kroot is with me. I believe we'll see them soon. 

11 hours ago, someone2040 said:

Basically, because you are pulling models from a range that is clearly not Fantasy

Imo their guns look more primitive than the Kharadron Overlords so I think they could be passed off as fantasy flint/matchlocks (maybe slightly alter the barrel). And their armor is basically leather and metal plates.

Heck I'd argue that their old Knarloc riders look quite similar to Horde's Efaarit Scouts who are from a fantasy steampunk game (which lets be real here, AoS is far closer to than traditional fantasy)

Spoiler

769940bc021aae78b9f3c89a9b2e2e49--tau-hu

f81a21aeef11a572cefb31576cd4ab92ae5ee0d3

75052_EfaaritScout_WEB.jpg

For the Krootox, how about using them as cannons or similar. Three kroot hounds act as the crew models while the krootox and rider act as the cannon, the fluff explanation would be that the hounds guard the ‘cannon’ so that the one rider can shoot instead of three crew operating it as per rules.

@ Kramer, a bit of both actually. There are playstyle, model/conversion potential and fluff reasons why I think they make a good fit for Kroot in AoS. The only reason why I have not taken the project further is that I have two active projects and the prospect of converting 30 to 50 kroot seemed a little daunting.

I can see Freeguild working, but you are going to need to convert a lot of models, so as one Kroot enthusiast to another, good luck.

I really like the idea of Ghur Free People. I thing a Greatsword torso would fit on Kroot legs with some green stuff and then cover the join with pouches and loinclothes. I think Krootox would work as demi-gryph knights, or to tie the army in to the greater Order image, keep the demi-gryphs as-is, but make the riders Kroot.

On 15-3-2018 at 6:25 AM, someone2040 said:

I don't think the kroot with gun would need conversion to fit into AoS. The melee guys he seems to intend on converting anyway with the bloodletter swords which seems to fit.

The Krootox would indeed need some touching up and as someone else mentioned I think that going for cavalry with them might be best.

I do think it would be hard to get all types of freeguild choices with the somewhat limited kroot boxes and still make them look different though...  

For a lot of the warmachine choices I think it would be best to use the regular model and then put some krooty touches on them like the stuff they have on the guns etc.

Archived