Let's chat: Magore's Fiends

Killax

Hey guys, while early I do want to discuss this Warband as I have hope for them to fit more into what I'd like to play.
Better put the confirmation that they are four models pleases me and the consistent design we have seen so far with highly armoured models is that they have good defences also! 

While we know the art for the box, I could post it again if people want to see it. What I hope for this time however is a Chaos Warband with Shield defences and ideally easier acces to Cleave. Let me know the wishlist and as with Garrek's Reavers I'll certainly come back with some deck ideas of my own once we know more!

Cheers!

image.png.83b1d1695d6ed1c961fc6a9e11becaf9.png

blood+warriors.JPG

Edited by Killax
  • Like 1

I love these. They're not very dynamic, at least when compared to the Skaven, but I'm not sure whether I find this better or worse...

Will be interesting to see the mechanics on this warband, as I expect they'll be the first to have stats that aren't standard accross the full warband; obviously, the hound should have better move than the others, at least, but I also wonder what Inspiration mechanics they'll all have. Will it be standard for all 4 (maybe get a crit on an attack?), or will it vary from model to model (for example, the hound could inspire when it provides an assist on another model's attack...)

Anyway, whatever style they end up with, play-wise, they'll definitely become one of my main (if not the) main warbands...

• Like 1

Purely from a model perspective, I’m ... disappointed in the lack of dynamic poses in comparison to earlier bands; Garrek’s Reavers, The Sepulchural Guard and Spiteclaws Swarm all come to mind as more dynamic from a posing perspective.

They don’t feel substantially more special than the “Quick Build” Blood Warrior kit. (Other than the additional flesh hound.)

No fancy special special “Goreglaive” weapon... the leader has a slightly different hole in his gut ...

They look like solid sculpts. I’ll definitely want them. But they’re not “zomg awesome sculpts”. (Though I’m all about plastic flesh hound. Not a fan of the finecast versions.)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Purely from a model perspective, I’m ... disappointed in the lack of dynamic poses in comparison to earlier bands; Garrek’s Reavers, The Sepulchural Guard and Spiteclaws Swarm all come to mind as more dynamic from a posing perspective.

They don’t feel substantially more special than the “Quick Build” Blood Warrior kit. (Other than the additional flesh hound.)

No fancy special special “Goreglaive” weapon... the leader has a slightly different hole in his gut ...

They look like solid sculpts. I’ll definitely want them. But they’re not “zomg awesome sculpts”. (Though I’m all about plastic flesh hound. Not a fan of the finecast versions.)

I do agree with you! Where Garrek's Reavers felt like the sculpt was 100% these feel like 60-70%. They arn't as dynamic as the art makes them out to be for one!

Having said that, I will certainly convert these lads with some easy bits to make them look like I want to. Things that are clearly lacking on these models are:
- More skulls and bags, like the other Blood Warriors have.
- Magore's own cape looks too lackluster, will certainly resculpt on top of this base to make it more akin to good old Archaon.
- I will sculpt a Venom-like tounge comming out of Magore's belly. 
- The Fleshhound lacks a corpse on the base.
- Both other two Blood Warriors just need a little more detail! Just a little bit to push them.

As a basing maniac I'd also say that these bases are actively worse as those provided with Garrek's Reavers, at least on first sight. Less depth is one reason, but the other simply is less skulls. A side by side:

image.png.83b1d1695d6ed1c961fc6a9e11beca
Shadespire-WarbandsKhorne-Image2prs.jpg

However I do have a favourite model here! This Blood Warrior in particular has the 100% sculpt input. It's funny how a few skulls and spikes with a dynamic head can make things look so much better. The plan is to convert my bloodied friends!

image.png.c4c9005f818ce8eacbfe5bcdae674865.png

Cheers,

Edited by Killax

2 minutes ago, Killax said:

As a basing maniac I'd also say that these bases are actively worse as those provided with Garrek's Reavers, at least on first sight. Less depth is one reason, but the other simply is less skulls

If you take a close look at the 'lava' base ... that looks entirely like skull faces in the lava...the bases definitely have potential but you're right, they have fewer skulls on them than the Blood Reavers. You'll have to drop over to the Monthly Painting Contract to show us the cool stuff after they're released. B|

Just now, TheOtherJosh said:

If you take a close look at the 'lava' base ... that looks entirely like skull faces in the lava...the bases definitely have potential but you're right, they have fewer skulls on them than the Blood Reavers. You'll have to drop over to the Monthly Painting Contract to show us the cool stuff after they're released. B|

Will do for sure! This is the sketch up plan for Magore... In Paint... Because I don't have Photoshop and nice stuff like that xD

image.png.7ee7efda3463c73e0c1dd952c12bf99a.png

I deem it 100% likely I'll change that Axe head to one of the Skullreaper kit Daemonic Axe heads also. Pretty much did the same for Garrek's Reavers and liked it there too!

• Like 1

what about making eyes in the chest+the tounge+make a helmet  without "eye's holes"?

Otherwise, i think that the 2 bloodwarriors are going to be 2 sidekicks with the quite the same cards. 3 movements, 3 wounds, 2 hammers, 2 damages, 1 shield, may be a special attack (2 swords, 1 damage) when rolling a critic of defense because of the gorefists.  

The hound would be 5 movements, 4 wounds, 3 swords, 2 damages, count double as support.

Inspire when dealing damages.

@Biboune sounds ace to me aswell. I think this kit just needs a littl bit more spice. Though honestly I hope the Fighter cards will be very solid so most wouldn't even worry about converting whilst playing them ;) 

In terms of Fighter card guessing... I think all will have Inspire: When it thakes a fighter out of battle (kill).
Magore: Movement 3. Hoping for 2 Hammers, 3 damage, Crit Cleave, 4 Health, 1 Shield defence. Maby an additional Action that lets you move Riptooth.
- Inspired: Cleave, Additional attack die.
Riptooth: Movement 5. Thinking 3 Swords, 2 damage, 3 Health, 1 Dodge defence. Maby immunity to enemy Ploys.
- Inspired: Push itself back 1 Hex after succesful attack.
Baldy: Movement 3. Hoping for 2 Hammers 3 damage, 3 Health, 1 Shield defence. Likely the ability to strike back when it gets taken out of action. 
- Inspired: Crit Cleave.
Helmy: Movement 3. Hoping for 2 hammers 2 damage, 3 Health, 1 Shield defence. 
- Inspired: Obtaining ability to strike back when it gets taken out of action. 

But that's just wild guessing here xD 

I'm crossing my fingers that their 'punching daggers' is something they get right of the bat instead of an upgrade. Maybe something along the line of doing 1 damage to an adjacent opponent if you crit on defense.  I do wonder what their inspire effect will be. It could easily make or break the warband for me even though I love Blood Warriors. The Fyreslayers were a bit of a let down because playing the "pls just let me stay on an objective" game every time got a bit stale. 

While I do get that not all characters are as important or relevant as heroes and such...

To me the distinction is there somewhat but other than being veterans of some sorts it isnt like they are supposed to represent large leading heroes.

In other words, there is and will be little difference between these guys and regular Blood Warriors because they are regular Blood Warriors that happen to find themselves such in Shadespire. As far as I know...

Again I do agree the sculpts could have been more dynamic but other than that I have no real issue with them :)

• Like 2

While I agree that maybe they look slightly too generic, and would have liked to see some cooler poses and maybe a guy with a different weapon. On the bright side I can fit them into my Blood warrior units and I likr beinh able to do that (if their warscroll isn't to my liking). :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Red_Zeke said:

What's up with that objective though? A worse Annihilation? Maybe they'll be so aggressive they could score both?

It will be the first Objective I'll likely remove from the deck ;) Checked and thought maby Annihilation was for third, this isn't the case and yeah this is directly worse... Even for multiplayer.

But in reality I believe it's those Objectives that will likely be pulled from the deck anyway? In either case, looking forward to more! Quite some cards are relevant to those who allready have the great neutral stats. So just like the starter Stormcast I think I'll focus on the basic upgrades of additional damage, maby additional defence and stuff like that!

More up, which cards are you eager to combine with Magore? That 'easy' Inspire seems like a blessing. I am quite certain he'll turn to 3 damage + Cleave after that also.

On stream, with that cards, they confirmed that all fighters from Magore's Fiend have +1 to move after inspire (3 before inspire, 4 after, except dog that have 4 before and 5 after). And if i remember right, both none-leader fighters have similar abilities (can't be driven back and they have reaction attack against failed attack on them). And one fighter after inspire will get knockback. They told that "every fighter have better attack after inspire" too. I hope i didn't confuse anything :)

Edited by Reggi
  • Like 1

I thought they would be 3  wounds per models and 4 for the leader. Right now, they just look so powerful.

Riptooth is better than Garrek.

Flayskull seems to be better than Bonekuta.  

Hunting down leader will be so great; Garreck, Skritch, the Warden for Riptooth, Magores will go after shield defenses.

Not been driven back is just great. If you can't kill him in one strike, he won't have to charge you back, just hit you right where you are.

2 hours ago, Reggi said:

On stream, with that cards, they confirmed that all fighters from Magore's Fiend have +1 to move after inspire (3 before inspire, 4 after, except dog that have 4 before and 5 after). And if i remember right, both none-leader fighters have similar abilities (can't be driven back and they have reaction attack against failed attack on them). And one fighter after inspire will get knockback. They told that "every fighter have better attack after inspire" too. I hope i didn't confuse anything :)

Thanks for the additional info. Yeah I guess that all will do one additional damage when Inspired, which is obviously a better attack. Wouldn't be suprised to see Ghartok gain Knockback too, for fun.

The only downside to me within the game now is that with the new Ploy that deals 1 damage to everybody I don't really see how 'just playing Orruks' isn't the most consistent smart move. As others might have guess I really dislike cards that affect all Fighters, same is true for Earthquake, unless they are very limited.

In any case, I do think I will enjoy playing these Fighters more because they remind me of a nice blend of the Orruks and Reavers. Indeed pretty much everything about them seems to point them to being top tier too! As in good to play in a wide match up scene and hitting hard enough.

Just now, Biboune said:

I thought they would be 3  wounds per models and 4 for the leader. Right now, they just look so powerful.

Riptooth is better than Garrek.

Flayskull seems to be better than Bonekuta.  

Hunting down leader will be so great; Garreck, Skritch, the Warden for Riptooth, Magores will go after shield defenses.

Not been driven back is just great. If you can't kill him in one strike, he won't have to charge you back, just hit you right where you are.

To me it only speaks on how odd Garrek's Reaver design was from the getgo. But most of that is only appearant when you see their exclusive cards which compaired to other Warband exclusives is just a steaming pile...

Having said that, the game does offer enough quick defence Neutral Ploy cards that Garrek's Reavers can be played, but there isn't really much insentive to do it, due to being so darned hard to Inspire. Let alone with the silly stuff that can occur when you deal 1 damage to the whole Warband and start sniping the goons...

1 hour ago, Killax said:

The only downside to me within the game now is that with the new Ploy that deals 1 damage to everybody I don't really see how 'just playing Orruks' isn't the most consistent smart move. As others might have guess I really dislike cards that affect all Fighters, same is true for Earthquake, unless they are very limited.

I bet that playing Magores Fiends will be the most consistent smart move ;)

1 hour ago, Killax said:

To me it only speaks on how odd Garrek's Reaver design was from the getgo. But most of that is only appearant when you see their exclusive cards which compaired to other Warband exclusives is just a steaming pile...

Having said that, the game does offer enough quick defence Neutral Ploy cards that Garrek's Reavers can be played, but there isn't really much insentive to do it, due to being so darned hard to Inspire. Let alone with the silly stuff that can occur when you deal 1 damage to the whole Warband and start sniping the goons...

Well I think the Reavers can still be nice against skavens, skellies or chosen axes (poor chosen axes, there is another ploys ruining their chances to get inspired). Orruks have 2 main fighters the 2 others can be ignored before they get inspered, Stormcast are only 3 and both bands are slow.

Magore's Fiends? They look like having 4 models hitting with 2 hammers or 3 swords for 2 damages: (almost?) better than Orruks. Riptooth is fast and  with Trap or Twisting the Knife, he can charge and one shot Karsus or Saek.

May be the Bloodwarriors will have a fair fight against Orruks or Stormcast but against the Reavers, the Skellies or even the Skavens they look way too strong.

Edited by Biboune
  • Like 1