Let's chat: Magore's Fiends

Killax

46 minutes ago, Biboune said:

Well Sprint double the Move characteristic and, if I am correct, applied on a model with Great Speed: first you double the model Move characteristic then you add +1 move.

This. Specifically.

The utterly counterintuitive Sprint ruling lets us know that Upgrades, even those that say +1 Move (which the rulebook defines as a "Characteristic"), are not handled the same as the number printed in the card.

It's totally silly,  but that's the rule GW has already given us.

Edited by Sleboda

Managed to finish 15th out of 90-ish at the Grand Clash yesterday with 3 wins out of 4 (won 6 games and lost 3) with my hybrid deck, I know everyone seems to be going full aggro but I was scoring 2 or 3 of the Hold Objectives in each game with 1 or 2 of them first round allowing me to get the ball rolling, deck is:

Objectives
Bane of Champions
No Escape
Show of Strength
Advancing Strike
Denial
Escalation
Hold Objective 1
Hold Objective 2
Hold Objective 3
Hold Objective 4
Hold Objective 5
Master of War

Ploys (11)
Daemonic Resilience
Furious Inspiration
Glory to Khorne
Duel of Wits
Great Concussion
My Turn
Quick Thinker
Ready for Action
Spectral Wings
Time Trap
Twist the Knife

Upgrade (11)
No Respite
Predatory Leap
Trophy Hunter
A Destiny to Meet
Awakened Weapon
Great Fortitude
Great Strength
Helpful Whispers
Incredible Strength
Light Armour
Tethered Spirit

Match 1
First match was against Steelheart's Champions, with the first game being a close affair with us both trading low glory objectives and dealing a low(ish) amount of damage with rubbish dice on both sides, I managed to eek out a 12-9 victory with Bane of Champions coming off in the third round. Second game my opponent placed the boards and went long, so I buried my three objectives in my territory and then pulled 2 of them out in my opening hand! Knowing that he wasn't playing turtle-cast I deployed far back to make him come at me,  managed to kill Obryn with a surprise Spectral Wings charge from Riptooth after Ghartok had given him a whack and also score the two objectives to get the Strength upgrades on Magore and Riptooth ready for the second round. I lost the roll and Angharad charged Ghartok, I decided to let him take the hit as he couldn't be killed and used Quick Thinker to move Magore up to Severin and then Furiously Inspired him in the Power Step. Severin went down next activation and then Riptooth dealt with Angharad, giving me a 15-0 victory.

Result: Win / 3 points / +18 Glory

Match 2
Steelheart's Champions again for match two, this time my opponent had a reasonably balanced deck with a slight bias towards surviving. First game he deployed just out of all my charge ranges and I was only able to move up and score on of the Hold Objectives, where he managed to get 4 Glory from a Stormcast no damage card, no adjacent fighters card and Alone in the Darkness. I couldn't do anything from then as he played it very well and Riptooth failed with 7 dice to roll a single hit to kill Severin (Glory to Khorne on the first attack and my opponent failed both saves), final score was 8-3 to my opponent. Second game was much the same but closer, I managed to get two of the Hold Objectives I'd positioned just inside his territory and a surprise Spectral Wings from Riptooth to deal some damage although he still scored a couple of glory. Second round is where I lost it, Severin charged into Magore and Riptooth with Great Strenght on him and proceeded to kill Magore before using Ready for Action and killing Riptooth. Ghartok and Zarkhus did some work after though and the final score was 12-9 to my opponent.

Result: Loss / 0 points / -8 Glory

Match 3

My first ever game against the Farstriders! My opening hand was Show of Strength, No Escape and Advancing Strike.....so I used my mulligan and switched.....he then played aggro!! He deployed up close and came at me with his hand weapons in a very bloody affair where he nearly pulled Total Annihilation off against me, I managed to scrape 8 glory from somewhere and come away only losing 14-8. Knowing that he wouldn't sit back I pulled a similar opening hand and went for it, using Time Trap and Ready for Action at key points I was able to double-tap them to take them out and managed a 13-6 win. The third match went much the same way as the second, a Furiously Inspired Riptooth with Incredible Strength taking the two remaining enemies out round 2 and 3, giving me an 11-6 win. Thing I noticed against Farstriders was when he started shooting instead of chopping it rendered My Turn and No Respite useless, which had been two great cards throughout the day so far (and my practice games).

Result: Win / 3 points / +6 Glory

Match 4

Gurzag! Orks are probably the warband I play against most and was looking forward to matching up against them. First game we lined up at the front across from each with a slightly offset board and he made me go first, with Gurzag not being front centre and waiting behind I opted to swap an objective and pulled No Escape, so that decided my next three activations! Zharkus was killed early as he made the first charge and got Gurzag-ed (and someone else hit him) but both Riptooth and Magore had got into the orks territory, inspired and then +1 damage upgrades on each. Ghartok was then used as supports whilst Magore and Riptooth one-shotted the reamining orks (forgot to say Bonkutta went down first round) and ganged up on Gurzag with a charge followed by a Time Trap charge, first game went 9-4 to me. Second game Gurzag came straight at Ghartok who I'd moved onto the objective just inside my territory, I used Quick Thinker to move Zharkus into support before hitting him with Ghartok successfully for two turns and then charging him with Riptooth. second round Bonekutta who'd moved up to support Gurzag went down to a 4 damage Riptooth and then it snowballed from there. Final round did see my opponent give Great Strength and Incredible Strength to Hakka (only one left alive) and then charge in under GorkaMorkas Blessing against Magore.....thankfully he fluffed the attack as it was a very close game at that point. I managed to kill Hakka and clear the board, before using my last activation to swap an objective for my last one which I knew was Denial, giving me a 10-6 win

Result: Win / 3 points / +9 glory

Overall I'm really happy with my deck, if I'd have played smarter against my second opponent (silly charges) or had a bit more luck I might have been able to push closer to the top 4/8. Really loving the Fiends, they play the game in the opponents face which is how I want to play and they don't die to a stiff breeze like the Reavers! Only change I'm considering is putting in Alone in The Darkness, this came off a few times against me and with Great Concussion in my deck is something I could potentially orchestrate. I hate the Katophrane way of playing but I'll be experimenting with it to see how to beat it so may make some changes to the power cards after that.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, kozokus said:

@Smed1986 Very nice. I played something similar this week end with great sucess.

I like your deck even if some of your choices like Leap and Warmaster leaves me cold.

Thanks! It' changed a little now as I mixed it up when relics dominated and then changed it again since the beta rule, current iteration is this:

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,183,234,253,257,263,265,267,190,320,329,347,348,368,376,389,391,393,395,403,201,272,180,197,343,372,361,373,176,235,247,420,378,191,330

Ha ha, Pedatory Leap I can understand but I used to play skellies and skaven a lot so it helped greatly with leader sniping, but not so much anymore. By "Warmaster" do you mean Master of War? If so I think it's one of my favourite cards and so easy to score!

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2018 at 4:44 PM, Hanners said:

Way late to the party, but glitch, I used your deck in a small store tourney and ended up winning.  Thank you for posting it.  Thanks so much!

I really don't want to buy chosen axes and farstriders so are their replacement cards I can use and still be competitive?

On 7/25/2018 at 3:16 PM, phizzco said:

I really don't want to buy chosen axes and farstriders so are their replacement cards I can use and still be competitive?

You'll be missing a bunch of good cards in both decks. Can you still be competitive? Depends on your meta, really. Personally, I find the Farstrider expansion more valuable. The dwarfs give you Precise Use of Force, Earthquake, Fuelled by Fury, Ready for Action, Trap, Light Armour, Shifting Image, and Shadeglass Axe, as well as Second-in-Command if you plan to buy the Leader pack, but the Farstriders give you Advancing Strike, Change of Tactics, Defensive Strike, Heroes All, Great Concussion, Improvisation, Inspiration Strikes, Quick Thinker, Shardgale, Spectral Wings, Twist the Knife, A Destiny to Meet, Concealed Weapon, and Incredible Strength. That list of just full of win.

Can you be competitive without those cards? Sure, but not as competitive as you can be if you have them.

On 7/26/2018 at 8:23 PM, Tutenkharnage said:

You'll be missing a bunch of good cards in both decks. Can you still be competitive? Depends on your meta, really. Personally, I find the Farstrider expansion more valuable. The dwarfs give you Precise Use of Force, Earthquake, Fuelled by Fury, Ready for Action, Trap, Light Armour, Shifting Image, and Shadeglass Axe, as well as Second-in-Command if you plan to buy the Leader pack, but the Farstriders give you Advancing Strike, Change of Tactics, Defensive Strike, Heroes All, Great Concussion, Improvisation, Inspiration Strikes, Quick Thinker, Shardgale, Spectral Wings, Twist the Knife, A Destiny to Meet, Concealed Weapon, and Incredible Strength. That list of just full of win.

Can you be competitive without those cards? Sure, but not as competitive as you can be if you have them.

Just feels like a waste:( never going to play the models. AH WELL.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 7:33 AM, glitch said:

In case anybody is interested, here's the deck I used in the London Grand Tournament, where I finished third. 

It's funny, I have been theory crafting with these guys for a couple days now and this is 80% the same as the cards I've settled on. I think Magore's Fiends already have awesome attacks. I think these guys are all about adding more damage to their attack profiles and making sure they hit more often. Bolster them by making sure all their objectives are focused around what they're best at... Killin'

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2018 at 11:53 AM, Valenae said:

What is best board side for Magore? And why?

Great question! I'm going to assume you're asking for those times when you lose the roll and have to place the first board. In general, the answer is going to depend on the following factors, regardless of your warband:

1. What is your opponent's (likely) strategy?
  2. How vulnerable is your strategy to board placement?

If you're playing Fiends, your own strategy is almost certainly going to be aggro, which is vulnerable to the following:

1. Two boards matched up short side to short side (a.k.a. "the long board")
  2. Offset boards that minimize the number of friendly fighters you can get into battle in round 1

Spiteclaw's Swarm, Steelheart's Champions, and the Farstriders are more likely to go long; other aggro warbands are more likely to go with a strong offset. An opponent who wants to mix it up with you is a good bet to simply line up the long edges and start brawling.

So! In general, I think you need to analyze the following eight scenarios for each board, regardless of which warband you're playing:

1. Offset strong to the top left corner
  2. Offset strong to the top right corner
  3. Offset strong to the bottom left corner
  4. Offset strong to the bottom right corner
  5. Long board placement to the left
  6. Long board placement to the right
  7. Full long edges to the top
  8. Full long edges to the bottom

As I mentioned earlier, certain warbands are likelier to aim for certain layouts than others, but stay on guard! I've played a lot of aggro builds and have gone for long board placement regularly because my opponent chose a board that created a very favorable position, because my warband had fighters and cards with multiple attacks, or both.

I'm having a hard time inserting images into this post, so here's my short take: 

1. The Fallen Statue is the best board for Fiends. Of the six boards currently available, it's the least vulnerable to long placement in either direction or to strong offsets. It might not be your preferred board if your opponent aligns the long edges, but it still won't hurt you much.
  2. The three boards with blocked hexes are the absolute worst boards, and you shouldn't choose them first. Of these, The Staircase is probably the least vulnerable to long placement, but it is extremely vulnerable to strong offsets to one particular corner. The other two are very vulnerable to long placement, and you won't be too happy with the worst offsets, either.
  3. The Crypt isn't a bad board, per se, but it's worse than the Fallen Statue against an opponent who might make you go long. At its worst, the Fallen Statue will allow you to get two of your fighters into enemy territory and two into no-man's land, but the Crypt will only let you get one into enemy territory, one into no-man's land, and two into the last row of complete hexes on your side of the board. The Crypt might have a slight edge when it comes to the worst offsets, but if so, that edge is very slight.
  4. The Arcane Contraption—you know, the lethal hex board with the blue energy balls on it!—is quite interesting. Because most of the hexes are toward the board's edges, it's actually one of the best boards against long play and strong offsets alike. (Against opponents who are trying to score Bloodless, you can even send Riptooth through a lethal hex in round 1 to stop an opponent who might be holding Bloodless.) If this board has a vulnerability, it's that the starting hexes are spread away from each other, so if your opponent is likely to align the long edges as much as possible, your fighters might end up left on their own little islands. Also, well ... it has lethal hexes! This isn't a concern for Ghartok, but it might spell trouble for the rest of your warband if you aren't careful.

So! There you have it. I almost always take The Fallen Statue whenever I place the first board with Reavers or Fiends; IMO, it's the least vulnerable board, which really limits any advantage your opponent can gain in return. I'm going to try out the Arcane Contraption board against some stall-heavy builds as well and see if it plays as well in practice as it does in theory.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the ideas guys! I was away from Shadespire for a while but might go back in. More Warbands are comming and all that.

Prime reason I left for a while was because I still have this feeling most decks are roughly the same with a good splash of 'good Warband cards' added the a very similar shell. I hope I am wrong :) regardless, the Khorne Warband remains quite cool looking and has the conversion potential.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

Hi all!

I have recently started playing Underworlds and my first warband is Magore's Fiends. 

I only got the starter Underworlds set and the box with the Fiends atm. Is that enough to build a decent deck? 

I would love some general playing- and deck building tips from more experienced  players! Got a tournament in 2 weeks so i need to prepare! 

Can you help a new player in need of some advice? 

Thanks! 

6 hours ago, Kimbo said:

What do i need to get for my fiends in order to have a decent deck? 

Most importent cards? Your favorite deck? 

Any tip for a new player helps alot!

Honestly, Magores is one of the teams that if you just have their set plus the core, you can build a pretty good deck right off the bat. It may not win a tournament, but will get a good feel for how the group plays and have a decent game against most opponents.

Heres an idea to run. I do something similar when im playing newer players and teaching https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,176,178,179,180,183,184,188,189,190,191,193,194,195,201,433,427,424,384,383,343,331,340,271,244,N506,N504,N505,N409,N310,N306,N446,N294,175,177

Edited by Kaptain Murder
added deck
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kaptain Murder said:

Honestly, Magores is one of the teams that if you just have their set plus the core, you can build a pretty good deck right off the bat. It may not win a tournament, but will get a good feel for how the group plays and have a decent game against most opponents.

Heres an idea to run. I do something similar when im playing newer players and teaching https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,176,178,179,180,183,184,188,189,190,191,193,194,195,201,433,427,424,384,383,343,331,340,271,244,N506,N504,N505,N409,N310,N306,N446,N294,175,177

Thank you, just what i needed!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...