Adding Slaves to Darkenss to Blades of Khorne

Oreaper84

So i have recently acquired so old fantasy chaos models from a friend who was doing a bit of purging and i was wondering the viability to adding it into my already growing bloodbound army. (I currently run either gore pilgrims or murder host plus extra) . The extra models i got are:

around 30 chaos warriors

10-15 chaos knights

10-15 chaos chosen

2-3 sorcerers (eww)

a few heros including old school archeon

Does any of this slot in well from peoples experience.. I dont "need" to add them as i have plenty to run pure bloodbound or BB+deamons but just wondering.

Also question, since i can mark the StD khorne i can use them in Blades of Khorne allegience right? i Think so but wast 100% bc they arent in the book.

Also Also, i got a hellcannon too.....this is compendium, can/how does someone even run this thing anymore?

Thanks in advance!

You can use them as Blades of Khorne, the only requirement is having the khorne keyword. Chosen are good though their mortal wound output can't be bufed by khorne since it's on the wound roll. Chaos warriors with hand weapon and sheild could be a interesting substitute for blood warriors, trading the gore glaive and ability to fight after death for a save vs mortal wounds. 

All units (except sorcerers), are very useful in Khorne lists. Maruders are cheap and good, Chaos Knights are good cavalry, and more Heroes means more diversity on the table (we do not have many Heroes designs:().

Little tip what to do with Sorcerers as a proper Khorne Player:D:

If you're feeling dirty then Sayl the Faithless makes a good ally (one of your sorcerers can stand in) as his spell can slingshot those units of chaos knights or warriors into your opponent's face. Even without him StD make excellent additions to a Khorne army. Knights are great and love being buffed by stokers, slaughterpriests, etc. As mentioned above Warriors make for a good anvil unit with mortal wound defence, although I have heard of others giving them great weapons, buffing them and using them as hammer with staying power. Depending on army composition a Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount with mark of Khorne can be a useful general for buffing the knights.

All good stuff thanks guys. I was looking at the warscoll for warriors and am trying to find the benefit over blood warriors and it seems real slim. Yeah hey are a bit cheaper, but have no glaive, no rebound, and no punch after death. Is a 5+ against mortals worth it. It does seem good against meta things like star soul maces and tzeench

Against an army that dishes out mortal wounds (stormcast & tzeentch as you mentioned) the rune shields will do wonders. They also reroll saves of 1 when in units of 20+. Bloodwarriors can also be an effective anvil against non-mortal wounds if armed with gorefists and a +1 save (from Slaughterpriest's prayer) or they can be offensive with dual axes and the priest's +1 to hit prayer. 

When choosing between the 3 options consider your opponent and whether mortal wounds are  factor. Also consider your army composition; is it missing an anvil unit for objective holding or is another offensive unit needed? Also the reduced points of the chaos warriors might be the determining factor if it means you can squeeze something else in. 

If mortal wounds are the factor, work out where they are coming from. If its shooting & melee (i.e. stormcast) then warriors might be the go. If its mainly from magic (i.e. Tzeentch) then khorne has myriad ways of shutting down the magic phase in which case you might be safe to run blood warriors.

Finally, don't forget the rule of cool!

On 12/03/2018 at 4:00 PM, NemoVonUtopia said:

You can use them as Blades of Khorne, the only requirement is having the khorne keyword. Chosen are good though their mortal wound output can't be bufed by khorne since it's on the wound roll. Chaos warriors with hand weapon and sheild could be a interesting substitute for blood warriors, trading the gore glaive and ability to fight after death for a save vs mortal wounds. 

Until you make the Juggerlord the General...

Chaos Warriors can also be taken in large units with Halberds and attack in 2 ranks, something the Blood Warriors  can't do.

30 Warriors with halberds comes in at 480 (I think), compared to 600 for 3 x 10 Blood Warriors, both offer something quite different so its not always an either / or situation.

On 3/12/2018 at 5:36 PM, Agent of Chaos said:

If you're feeling dirty then Sayl the Faithless makes a good ally (one of your sorcerers can stand in) as his spell can slingshot those units of chaos knights or warriors into your opponent's face. Even without him StD make excellent additions to a Khorne army. Knights are great and love being buffed by stokers, slaughterpriests, etc. As mentioned above Warriors make for a good anvil unit with mortal wound defence, although I have heard of others giving them great weapons, buffing them and using them as hammer with staying power. Depending on army composition a Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount with mark of Khorne can be a useful general for buffing the knights.

You can also slingshot units by using the WoK BT command ability to run and charge at +1 with 2 bloodstokers for a total charge range of movement+14+3d6. The 2nd place list at Australia masters was doing that with 2 units of 30 bloodletters and the gorepilgrims battalion, presumably to more reliably cast the Killing Frenzy prayer, so the Bloodletters cause mortal wound on a 3+ to hit, and so they could position the bloodsecrator more safely without needing a daisy chain to maximize the number of bloodletters attacking.

As far as Slaves to Darkness in a Khorne list, Marauders are cheaper than reavers, and about the same strength, so it can free up some points. Knights and Warriors are both solid with the save against mortal wounds, and I'd generally consider Warriors a bit better than Blood Warriors because they're a bit cheaper and have the save vs mortal wounds, though blood warriors get Goreglaives for a bit more punch.

Archived