A "Monster Hunter" army

Son Of Khârn

Hey all,

I've been playing way too much Monster Hunter: World ever since it launched and have been inspired to build an army surrounding hunter(S) and monsters.

There will be several of these, but for now I'm delving over the Destruction side.

This is by no means meant to be competitive at all, mainly just for the fun side of things. (Tho if it can be tweaked to be, sure, why not? :D)

Allegiance: Destruction

Leader:

Icebrow Hunter x 1 - 140

Battleline: 

Grots x 20 - 100

Grots x 20 - 100

Grots x 20 - 100

Artillery:

Squig Gobba x 1 - 140

Squig Gobba x 1 - 140

Behemoths:

Colossal Squig x 1 - 300

Magma Dragon x 1 - 520

Other units:

Frost Sabres x8 160

Frost Sabers x8 160

Warscroll:

Skal

=1970 PTS

Figured Beastclaw Raiders to be the fitting "hunters" in the Destruction alliance.

Grots are the cheapest battleline I can get that can capture points.

Other things I just mashed in together to form the "monster"part of the army.

Thoughts?

I'm not convinced, it feels less like a theme army, and more a bunch of units thrown together.

Based on the fluff, you've gotta have some Bonesplitta's in there, given that they're literally monster hunters.

For me, this feels more like a Monster Hunter list, I've only included the Magma Dragon because you did, I'm not convinced it's a good buy for the army and would prefer a Colossal Squig and Squig Gobbas.

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (140) - General
Wardokk (100)

Units
8 x Frost Sabres (160)
8 x Frost Sabres (160)
20 x Savage Orruks (240)
20 x Savage Orruks (240)
20 x Savage Orruks (240)
15 x Cave Squigs (180)
2 x Grot Squig Herders (20)

Behemoths
Magma Dragon (520)

56 minutes ago, Lucio said:

I'm not convinced, it feels less like a theme army, and more a bunch of units thrown together.

Based on the fluff, you've gotta have some Bonesplitta's in there, given that they're literally monster hunters.

For me, this feels more like a Monster Hunter list, I've only included the Magma Dragon because you did, I'm not convinced it's a good buy for the army and would prefer a Colossal Squig and Squig Gobbas.

Leaders
Wardokk (100)

Units
8 x Frost Sabres (160)
8 x Frost Sabres (160)
20 x Savage Orruks (240)
20 x Savage Orruks (240)
20 x Savage Orruks (240)
15 x Cave Squigs (180)

Behemoths
Magma Dragon (520)

Yeah I agree, a bonesplitterz foundation is a must.

@Son Of Khârn - Is the plan to just use stock GW models and try to have a theme, or are you actually going to be converting models to look like stuff from the game? If its the latter then I think you could make it work. If not though, I do agree with @Lucio that I don't get a sense of theme here.

Mierce Miniatures do some fantastic monsters that for me have always had a Monster Hunter vibe. I own Angrislaug and the Wyvern, both of which could have come straight from the MH games IMO!

1 hour ago, Lucio said:

Leaders
Wardokk (100)

Units
8 x Frost Sabres (160)
8 x Frost Sabres (160)
20 x Savage Orruks (240)
20 x Savage Orruks (240)
20 x Savage Orruks (240)
15 x Cave Squigs (180)

Behemoths
Magma Dragon (520)

Well, I really wanted the Beastclaw Raiders to work but they're too pricey, and pretty limited with just the Destruction allegiance.

Also, the Magma Dragon's the closest thing to an actual dragon on the monsters side of Destruction.

I actually had a bonesplitterz already made:

Leaders:

Savage Big Boss x 1 - 120 (General)

Fungoid Cave-Shaman x 1 - 80

Units:

Savage Orruks x 10 - 120

Savage Orruks x 10 - 120

Grots x 20 - 100

Savage Orruk Arrowboys x 20 - 240

Savage Orruk Arrowboys x 20 - 240

Behemoths:

Colossal Squig - 300

Magma Dragon - 520

Warscroll:

Kunnun'Rukk - 160

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

@Son Of Khârn - Is the plan to just use stock GW models and try to have a theme, or are you actually going to be converting models to look like stuff from the game? If its the latter then I think you could make it work. If not though, I do agree with @Lucio that I don't get a sense of theme here.

Mierce Miniatures do some fantastic monsters that for me have always had a Monster Hunter vibe. I own Angrislaug and the Wyvern, both of which could have come straight from the MH games IMO!

I'm planning to do some conversions here and there. I'd prefer to use GW or FW minis as much as possible, however.

Mierce minis are awesome, and Creature Caster's dragons are too good!

Archived