syph0n's painting log (Aelves and others!)

syph0n

2 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

Nice! I have always been super curious about how a newer cold one would look with Malus Darkblade's mount's head. Seems to fit! Consider that stolen ;) 

Thanks! It is wider and heavier looking, but it's also quite well armoured compared to the other drakespawn. I've had to greenstuff around the head to neck join and then the neck to the barding because I needed to get the angle right from the neck. I also shortened the original neck slightly, because a stockier neck suited the bigger head. 

Of those pics, the sideways on is a good reflection of the scale of the head. We can always say a Dreadlord might have an alpha drakespawn! 

Managed to snag 4 drakespawn to use with the older knights I have. I will kitbash them with the newer kit, including new shields, perhaps lance and shield arms and maybe some work around the head. The other thought I have is to make some sea-dragon cloaks, so even if in rules the knights aren't more powerful, these would be the oldest and most revered of the knights in my army - especially if I use 'Malus' as just a Dreadknight and the BSB as a banner holder as they already look fancier than all the other knights I have! 

Also managed to get a couple of the Dragonlord shields so my general is a real unique mixture - some Corsair, so 3rd party, some High Elf, some other dark aelf... It means if I go for another Black Dragon (possible) that they will look very different which I'm happy about. Also... I'd like to get the previous metal Hydra (not the baby one from the 90s) but I know it's a pig to build and might well be more expensive than just the plastic one. I just don't want two identical hydras, but that might have as much to do with the beastmasters as the hydra itself.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

35 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Looking forward to seeing it all, nice unique stuff. Having an absolute mare getting hold of plastic Drakespawn to update my old models though.

I was fortunate to pick up quite a few when the plastics first launched. I converted Malus, the BSB and my old chariot all at once. I'll edit this post with some pics of some of the small conversions I've done to try to tie together my Corsairs with the Serpentis units. All of this pre-dates the GHB1/2 and especially Anvilgard, so I was really pleased when Anvilgard featured Kraken imagery, but also links Serpentis with them! So I have banner tops and shields with Krakens, Serpents and Medusae - that might be how I visually link in some Melusai at some point. 

Edit:pixlr_20180326225856284.jpg.4b4534bf284602a541a2556422854857.jpg

Quick and dirty pic and edits, poor lighting so 'scuse quality. Top left is the old Chariot with adjusted saddles for the Drakespawn. Top right was supposed to represent the old BSB with upgraded mount, which never transitioned to AoS (so could just be compendium BSB on a "horse" or a banner Knight in a unit). Used the old Knight champion with the little dragon! Bottom left is from my 2nd unit, he has a kraken shield and also the banner top has the kraken banner top from the Corsair box. The axe is rather than the mace and belongs to the dragon set. Finally, bottom right is the champion from the 2nd unit. He has a Dark Eldar head and a sea dragon cloak made from greenstuff. Made a mould from milliput. Used this for the BSB guy as well. The drakespawn has a little bladed crown, also a Dark Eldar bit from around 1999/2000 I reckon! 

The BSB and Malus will therefore form the basis of the 3rd unit of Knights as mentioned earlier. Bit more character! 

Really nice stuff! I just wish there was a way to easily get the 8 Drakespawn I need. Bits sites are totally out of stock all the time. Only person I know locally used them on his scourge runner because cooler.

Looking forward to the made to order, even if it is just the pictured models, the mounted sorceress and mengil manhide are awesome.

I had a go painting again for the first time in ages! 

Working on Malus, just because I needed to dry brush his cloak which meant I might as well do the Drakespawn too. Need to make the cloak a bit more green as per my other Dreadlord, but about there. 

Tomorrow I'll do the brown of the bottom bit of the Drakespawn and continue on then with the Knights as it'll be the same colours for Malus. 

pixlr_20180403220947771.jpg.8b75ebc648104b59e5d9f00c039736a7.jpg

1 hour ago, Soulsmith said:

Yeah, really loving Malus. I have mine with me now, just need a drakespawn. Definitely going to have to sort out anew cloak like yourself, the old on is naff!

I made a mould and just used greenstuff. It lacks depth vs the original, but that doesn't show as much when painted. I know I could make a better one if needed going forward however. 

Wish I had the original Warpsword, but this will do - it at least passes. 

I'll finish him tomorrow and hopefully the unit of Knights. 

Intriguing, I was thinking of probably asking more competent sculptors I know, or finding a way to incorporate the original into a larger cloak. Fortunately I have the original sword, but if anything it looks measly! Might try and add some more ornamentation to the hilt, similar to artwork of Malus from his books. I find all the 6th ed metals suffer from their blades being, well, blunt objects.

It's actually very easy to make one. You need some Sculpey, press the cloak deep into it, then bake the Sculpey. Once cool, press the green stuff in. It sounds gross, but a bit of spit lubricates the mould. Be very careful to remove the greenstuff (you can actually leave a little channel in the mould to have excess to grab the greenstuff by) and position on the model. 

It's then a case of using a smooth tool (I've got clay tools, but back of a hobby knife works) to wrap the neck portion on. 

Not a massive update, but got the 3 drakespawn I needed to start converting some very old knights. 

IMG_20180408_210957524.jpg.9d5ed3b51e89c00e7fd78b5ac9cba5e0.jpg

Started looking how I can convert them up. Drilled out the old heads. Felt they looked a bit like aelves in a can, so that should help modernise with new helmets. Also the curly shoulder armour has been straightened and trimmed. IMG_20180408_211106628_BURST001.jpg.8858c7b9f18f4f945a848e1617cf380b.jpg

I started conversion work then on the hornblower. The original style didn't actually carry a weapon. To remedy this, I cut the horn off and stuck to the shield arm. Next, I pinned an upright, more ornate lance arm in place. I then used an old Dark Eldar head, trimming off the pony tail. Finally, I used a new knight shield of a different design to my other models just to try and maintain the uniqueness across my 3 units. pixlr_20180408212909483.jpg.50a01a624d9c8fb6eebf0b9db27e3686.jpg

As a command knight, I may well create a sea dragon cloak, unifying him with the dreadknight (Malus) and a model I originally planned to use as a BSB. IMG_20180408_211202670.jpg.57a5505863d95e701f09f5517442d4a9.jpg

This is one of the moulds I made, it works quite well. Here it is, just about, in use on the BSB which now just serves as a bannerman for the unit of 5. IMG_20180408_210617008.jpg.1eabc2a06ebf00b662a8ea8ef52fb5d8.jpg

Finally, a shot of the difference between my 3 dreadknights. This final converted unit I hope will look like a more revered unit, even if only in lore, not rules. 

IMG_20180408_210554102.jpg.b18b900920cb78ca4509737d0cc94586.jpg

The next post, I'm hoping, will show a completed painted unit, a painted Malus (dreadknight) and a converted 3rd unit!

IMG_20180408_211202670.jpg

Finally finished converting the metal knights. Still undecided about a season dragon cloak for the hornblower, as the dreadknight (Malus) and the bannerman do. 

IMG_20180410_201240873.jpg.cf92c580efa08c5fe0616b740fbff4eb.jpg

Also, gratuitous army shot:

IMG_20180410_201329773.jpg.50aac1fa71b839750c86549bea3133a2.jpg

And spares... Unbuilt Corsairs and Black Guard, 5 old Dark Riders and some Spears! 

pixlr_20180410202018374.jpg.990fbe68bed0f7d95770425b9b19feb4.jpg

Painting tomorrow! Undercoat the new old knights, the Balewind and finish the first squad and Malus. 

• 3 weeks later...

Had a busy few weeks, a birthday  and work deadlines, but the paints are back out. 

Needed a break from lizards, so treated myself to the Balewind for some variety. 15249251945601493418418.jpg.c78988a9df51c69929c95daab3a223fe.jpg

It's all basecoated. Going to wash it now, then dry brush the stone and the gold details. Going to paint the vortex wind using green washes and blue glazes I think. 

Once that's done, it's back on to the drakespawn. I've decided to paint all the green, then see how I feel. That might mean a break to paint a single model or something like that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Having a go at converting some Corsairs to Darkshards. Looking at my old models, I realised I could use 2 lots of spears (10) and make up one other unit to have the necessary 3 battleline units for a GA Order list. This allows me to make a 2k list that also uses bolt throwers and the Sorceress on Drakespawn. Well, it did until Legends launched and removed Compendium models! 

Anyway, the test Corsair as a Drakespawn conversion:

1525726821004897079591.jpg.802cac652c0b6584d7745b6a7155a171.jpg

Here's also the old Dreadspears (10) as one unit and I've ordered some other bits to use my Dreadlord along with the others I have to make another characterful unit and utilise models that are otherwise going unused in matched play (won't have any rules, just better looking unit commanders). 

1525727218508507472799.jpg.5c6471974dccb6e4c950f4cf2ea61c2d.jpg

Painted a long time ago. I'll re-base and touch up in any case. 

14 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

I’d happily play against them, great work!

10 hours ago, EMMachine said:

@syph0n

Hey, those "Darkshard" Corsairs are looking good.

24 minutes ago, Rhivan said:

Those look fantastic! The crossbows look far better on dynamic models

Thanks guys. 

I think they suit the Corsairs well, and I hope that I can get away with them as both Darkshards and Corsairs with bows. I'd never do so in the same list. 

The Corsair kit is absolutely fantastic. I'm tempted to nick the spears off the old Spears and use them too to make 3x10 units of 2 bows and 1 spears.

Deciding between the utility of spears vs bows, but in truth, they're literally just battleline chaff for me to wrap the hydra, turn one 'nets' or bubblewrap for bolt throwers. 

Working some more on these chaps. Did the unit champion, musician and changed the arm on the standard, because I need to save crossbows and how is he supposed to fire one and hold the banner. He's obviously got a crossbow under his cloak mind! 

Champion needs work. Not there yet, think the sword arm is lacking and around the neck needs filling anyway. IMG_20180511_235426330.jpg.560a915e924c7d966d0ac9d94886964e.jpg

7 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

If you have one of the metal cold one knight champion drake arms, that would look great for the unit champ.

I've used the only one I had unfortunately. I'm really short on swords, aside from Corsair swords. 

Another one down pretty much. Will pin both arms of this one, but a bit of blutack will do for the mo.

Subtle, but I've re-posed the champion and the big sword is much better I think. 

Waiting for some more parts to come now to finish off this unit and the next really. 

IMG_20180512_172905019.jpg.283376498fdff1ef9b3984cd17361cea.jpg

I'm thinking with the 10 spears to use the Dreadlord I have as the unit champion, and upgrade them now with some cloaks to unify my core troops. I've got a new banner and musician arm on the way too.

The Drakespawn knights don't particularly need cloaks, apart from occasional models, but I think it might help modernise the old sculpts. 

Archived