Lets Chat: Idoneth Deepkin

S133arcanite

1 hour ago, Bradipo322 said:

The armour is indeed aelfic (is "aelfic" the right adjective?), but it is not really identical to anything else.

It may be an Idoneth Deepkin aelf, but why would Morathi kill one of her allies?

Don't forget half the rules revolve around sorceresses sacrificing their own soldiers for magic power! 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, syph0n said:

Don't forget half the rules revolve around sorceresses sacrificing their own soldiers for magic power! 

Haven't got the chance to look at the new battletome, but if that's the case, it's really cool and flavourful.

8 minutes ago, Bradipo322 said:

Haven't got the chance to look at the new battletome, but if that's the case, it's really cool and flavourful.

I don't know if that's the case with DoK, but it's definitely a Dark Aelf thing for as long as I can remember. 

1 hour ago, syph0n said:

I don't know if that's the case with DoK, but it's definitely a Dark Aelf thing for as long as I can remember. 

At this point I'm sure the DoK are "Order" because the order would rather have them as dubious allies than obvious enemies!

Back on the topic of Deepkin, maybe the main aelves themselves wont be too nautical but Im sure whatever weird beasts they have could fill that role. I mean the dark aelves arent really reptilian themed yet ride dinosaurs!

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

At this point I'm sure the DoK are "Order" because the order would rather have them as dubious allies than obvious enemies!

Back on the topic of Deepkin, maybe the main aelves themselves wont be too nautical but Im sure whatever weird beasts they have could fill that role. I mean the dark aelves arent really reptilian themed yet ride dinosaurs!

Oh yeah, know already that DoK are order, as are the ID, and are aligned to the dark aelves as they exist. We were just discussing the Morathi model dead aelf on her base and how it's not unusual for Dark Aelves to kill one another ?

We're deffo gonna see the ID on sea creatures, just to what extent. I think it's more whether there are mutated aelves as per the Melusai people like myself are interested in, or whether the typical aelf will be like Mistweaver. 

4 hours ago, Bradipo322 said:

The armour is indeed aelfic (is "aelfic" the right adjective?), but it is not really identical to anything else.

It may be an Idoneth Deepkin aelf, but why would Morathi kill one of her allies?

misterious aelf.jpg

Are you trolling, lol? It looks exactly like the armor on the left of those 4. Same shoulder pads, same rivets on shoulders and the W pattern on chest. Anyway close enough. if deepkin troops look like a copy and paste that would suck.

I'm inclined to give credence to the idea of the Idoneth Deepkin having fishmen elements.

Their name and the terrain piece we saw suggest they live under the water and they're identified in the lore as "sea-beings". We also know something went wrong with their creation.

There's also the fact that the scourge privateers are still around and we know they are a separate faction.

That means GW needs to clearly distinguish the Deepkin from the Privateers. Having two separate sea-aelf factions doesn't make any sense unless they're going to make the Deepkin dramatically different. Fish men would be one way of doing that.

I suspect we might see something similar to the DoK, with some of the Deepkin looking more like normal aelves and some of them twisted with fishy features. 

I hope that's what they'll do. If they are all just vaguely spartan looking normal aelves that's fine, but a bit underwhelming for a brand new faction.

Alright so a weekend off and a bit of thinking about the style and feel that I am expecting.

First, as a general point we don't know how monstrous / inhuman the troops are going to be. Daughters of Khaine shows that GW are willing to make Aelves monstrous. The background in the new tome also indicates that most of the Aelven races (including the Idoneth) have been remade with souls recovered from Slaanesh which gives scope for a range of 'humanness' - i.e. could have Melusai half beasty creature cognates without having to justify it beyond the established background.

Second, we don't know how technological the army will be - I would expect magical rather than tech. On the other hand I have a strong memory of a rumour from around the time of the Kharadron that there was a diving suit type unit coming for them - obviously this did not happen but maybe we will see it with the Idoneth?

Third, we don't know what the army style is going to be. There are rumours that suggest a centre piece model that is a turtle, which strongly suggests the overall style of the army is more likely to be slow and resilient than fast and fragile. Additionally the suggestion that the overall aesthetic is Spartan suggests heavy armour and large shields again supporting toughness over speed.

Pulling this together then:

Visually I think a mix of classic Greek designs (so hoplon shields, corinthian helms, bell cuirass) for the Aelfs themselves and magic tech diving suit style

Cavalry units will be riding liminal aquatic creatures so crocodiles or sky sharks (there is an image of a vast sky shark in the Kharadron book) or a kraken type creature

Monsters will be in the army and they will be tough as old boots but maybe quite inflexible

The small hint we have seen in Daughters of Khaine is that they appeared from the mists in an attempt to capture a unit of Witch Aelves, so for me this suggests some interesting deployment / redeployment options (rather than flat out speed) and maybe stuff around making Battleshock worse - representing psychological trickery and non lethal combat

Finally some pictures:

5a9ca5758b48e_corinthianhelmet.jpg.1f6e94275bc5e5eda1eba4dba85cdb91.jpg

a Corinthian Helmet (very much Greek associated in popular imagery but far from the most common helmet type and not actually worn by Spartans)

hoplon.jpg.8d3d49a8a539cd9b87cfcecb537f33f2.jpg

A Spartan Hoplon - admittedly my understanding is that the lambda was red but there you go

553858a8c6fcb7de9fd9774b65917f33.jpg.329fb5596baf4665ce8c377edc9225dc.jpg

A very early bell cuirass - again this is from the Trojan War era but the linothorax of the Persian War period is not very common in popular imagery

I hope they are not too historically Greek looking. However they look, we need to see them soon because all of this speculation and suspense is killing me!

I've been thinking about whether or not they will have ships, like the KO, and if they did, how would they fight on land. Would they be submarines that can also fly? That would be super cool. Or would they have wheels or legs? Wheels don't seem like a very "elven" option. We've heard that there's some kind of turtle... maybe they have ships built onto the turtles' shells? That would be pretty cool. Wheels would be pretty useless under the water, but a turtle that could walk on land and swim would be pretty useful for transportation. Maybe they could have other vehicles that are mounted to other sea creatures, or are like magical/mechanical version of them. Like a submarine with crab legs so it can crawl onto the land. GAH! The suspense!

13 hours ago, TrippG11 said:

Are you trolling, lol? It looks exactly like the armor on the left of those 4. Same shoulder pads, same rivets on shoulders and the W pattern on chest. Anyway close enough. if deepkin troops look like a copy and paste that would suck.

That's a Bleaksword on the left, it's hard to see from that pic, but it doesn't have rivets/gems on the shoulder, it has a stylised v, and the armour pieces are actually a different shape.  Bleakswords are dark elves, the stone model looks a lot more high elf in design, though it doesn't match anything already existing.

17 hours ago, TrippG11 said:

I'm not trolling.

While the armours looks similar, all of them have different details, different shapes as I have highlighted in different colors:

• In orange are the shoulder pads, as you can see no two are identical, yes, they are similar but not outright identical
  • In light green are the collars, and everyone is slightly different
  • In red there are the breastplates, and all of them have different decorations

So unlike what you have said the shoulder pads are different, and while two of them have a "rivet" (the one in the center have a gem on his shoulder pad and the one on the left doesn't)  they are nowhere similar and the breastplate is different for every one of them (and only the left one have what seems a overturned W).

Yes the stile is indeed aelfic, but it's not like anything whe've seen before.

misterious aelf proof.jpg

25 minutes ago, Primique said:

Is there any unsolved rumour engine pictures that could give any hints to their aesthetic?

Not at the moment but we don't really know what their aesthetic could be. Are they like beings of light like the creatures from The Abyss, so need to be in environmental suits when they go onto land (so think like Daleks)? Are they Cthulhu like and have tentacles and stuff? Are they Aelves with a Greek type theme? Will we see something like them in Biosuits like the Guyver or the Engineers from the Alien universe?

Because they are new and GW can go in any direction with them, it's really exciting. At the moment I'm waiting to see what we will get and hopefully we will see something over next few weeks. I'm hoping that we do see something different to just Aelves in different clothes as GW have such a blank canvas to work with here. Personally I'm hoping for Biosuits as this fits in with the Cthulhu theme people have been grasping at but I think many people will think this is too Science Fantasy/Fiction for them.

11 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Not at the moment but we don't really know what their aesthetic could be. Are they like beings of light like the creatures from The Abyss, so need to be in environmental suits when they go onto land (so think like Daleks)? Are they Cthulhu like and have tentacles and stuff? Are they Aelves with a Greek type theme? Will we see something like them in Biosuits like the Guyver or the Engineers from the Alien universe?

Because they are new and GW can go in any direction with them, it's really exciting. At the moment I'm waiting to see what we will get and hopefully we will see something over next few weeks. I'm hoping that we do see something different to just Aelves in different clothes as GW have such a blank canvas to work with here. Personally I'm hoping for Biosuits as this fits in with the Cthulhu theme people have been grasping at but I think many people will think this is too Science Fantasy/Fiction for them.

Rather than biosuits, I guess it could be modelled like the Mistweaver? I think it might be a bit Harry Potter, but the idea of either being half-sea creature (a la shark head / Mer Aelf), standard Aelves but maybe a bit fishy (gills) or even magically cast air bubble-face masks which I guess Mistweaver could be like?

I'm putting stock in the Atlantean Greek theme now, even though I wanted a glorious return of "Cthulhu" Lokhir, krakens, sea dragons and a merger or rule with the Scourge Privateers. I'm also putting faith in the sea turtle rumour and heavily water-based theme (riding sharks, sea horses, whatever). I just can't wait to see if they have similar mutation forms like the DoK faction now.

EDIT: Eek, double post! Can we merge??

5 minutes ago, syph0n said:

Rather than biosuits, I guess it could be modelled like the Mistweaver? I think it might be a bit Harry Potter, but the idea of either being half-sea creature (a la shark head / Mer Aelf), standard Aelves but maybe a bit fishy (gills) or even magically cast air bubble-face masks which I guess Mistweaver could be like?

Quite possible. I'm wary about this though going off the description of the Mistweaver who is from the realm of Shadow, so the mask is more of a mirror mask. But I can see how it would fit into the look and feel of the Deepkin.

7 minutes ago, syph0n said:

I'm putting stock in the Atlantean Greek theme now, even though I wanted a glorious return of "Cthulhu" Lokhir, krakens, sea dragons and a merger or rule with the Scourge Privateers. I'm also putting faith in the sea turtle rumour and heavily water-based theme (riding sharks, sea horses, whatever). I just can't wait to see if they have similar mutation forms like the DoK faction now.

I would love to see the Scourge Privateers be merged in with the Deepkin (mainly as I have a small stockpile of them) but I'm not sure as DoK list them as allies. I think out of those themes you have suggested, I would prefer the Cthulhu one, but I know whatever models GW make will be amazing. Just will they be amazing enough for me to jump on the bandwagon?

13 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Quite possible. I'm wary about this though going off the description of the Mistweaver who is from the realm of Shadow, so the mask is more of a mirror mask. But I can see how it would fit into the look and feel of the Deepkin.

I would love to see the Scourge Privateers be merged in with the Deepkin (mainly as I have a small stockpile of them) but I'm not sure as DoK list them as allies. I think out of those themes you have suggested, I would prefer the Cthulhu one, but I know whatever models GW make will be amazing. Just will they be amazing enough for me to jump on the bandwagon?

Aye, agree with the Mistweaver point. Her mask reminds of sci-fi films for futuristic space suits, so I think I was trying to say perhaps they might use a similar aesthetic, but water-based. Like in Harry Potter, this could be as simple as a magic air bubble. Don't see this myself.

My hope for the merger was a slightly selfish one too!

I'm holding out for Malerion's force, but we'll see, these guys might be incredible if the DoK releases are a marker. I have enough to be doing without....

I'm hoping for Merworms - they show up so much in black library fiction and they should be able to do a really good scuplt in plastic. As for the overall aesthetic, happy just to wait and see to be honest. I have more than enough models to work on in the mean time :)

A bit confused about the shipwreck terrain piece - I can go along with Nurgle and Sylvaneth growing trees but how/why would you place a wrecked ship on the board - unless GW are realeasing a new underwater one where you have to roll to hold your breath each turn... Realm of Bubbles perhaps? 

On 05/03/2018 at 2:50 PM, Twitch of Izalith said:

A bit confused about the shipwreck terrain piece - I can go along with Nurgle and Sylvaneth growing trees but how/why would you place a wrecked ship on the board - unless GW are realeasing a new underwater one where you have to roll to hold your breath each turn... Realm of Bubbles perhaps? 

Yeah, it's a head-scratcher, as various people have pointed out there are little fish modelled swimming through the wreck, which would suggest it has to be under-water.

A few possible explanations:

1. It's a spectral or illusory shipwreck that can exist on land. It  would fit with the references to mists and shadow if the Deepkin are able to summon some sort of spectral wreck (or the illusion of a wreck) on the battlefield. 

2. It comes up through lakes or rivers. If there are some sort of realmgates or portals underwater perhaps the Deepkin can use them to summon a shipwreck through bodies of water. Or perhaps they can even make some kind of magical lakes appear on the battleground, maybe drowning enemies within a certain radius.

3. It's in the sea and we're getting rules for under-water combat. It's difficult to see how this one would work. Perhaps the Deepkin player gets to designate one edge of the board as the sea and gains advantages fighting on that half of the board?

4. The leaked information is wrong and it's not gameplay terrain.

What do you reckon?

On 05/03/2018 at 9:50 AM, Twitch of Izalith said:

I'm hoping for Merworms - they show up so much in black library fiction and they should be able to do a really good scuplt in plastic. As for the overall aesthetic, happy just to wait and see to be honest. I have more than enough models to work on in the mean time :)

Merwyrm is a FW kit..cant see GW redoing an already amazing sculpt..

30 minutes ago, TrippG11 said:

Merwyrm is a FW kit..cant see GW redoing an already amazing sculpt.

Lots of things start out on FW, only to later move to GW: Eldar Wave Serpents, Adeptus Mechanicus, Legio Custodes, Space Marine drop pods, ect...

8 minutes ago, Rou Dantes said:

Lots of things start out on FW, only to later move to GW: Eldar Wave Serpents, Adeptus Mechanicus, Legio Custodes, Space Marine drop pods, ect...

They could also do an alternative Merwyrm or Merwyrm esque creature. I mean the Plastic GUO is basically the same size as the FW one but the FW one is officially designated the "exalted" guo.

Great-Unclean-One-New-Old.jpg

Archived