Lets Chat: Idoneth Deepkin

S133arcanite

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the eyeless look. Essentially these are the elves that were kept in the deepest darkest parts of the ocean where is has always been hypothesized organisms in that region of the sea don't actually have sight and depend on other forms of navigation.

Just to point out, the trailer shows two different cavalry kits not just one. One is mounted on the eels, the other are on bulkier, shark like creatures. One of the turtle pictures shows the shark ones with two riders, a pilot and a crossbowman.

1 hour ago, Auretious Taak said:

To me the cavalry look like electric eels as opposed to sharks or other fish, giant electric eels mind but eels none the less. I'm not exactly smitten with the models though, the mounts themselves just look gronkified and the way the bodies of the mounts are shaped I find it hard to believe the riders are sitting that mount with ease.

I didn't need a spell for it to make sense, I just looked at them and assumed that they had the ability to ride the winds of magic and by extension to thus breath both above water and below thanks to the magical energies that surround them. The breathing thing is an issue so far.

The models do show definite swimming movement and the shoals of fish, the mantas on the Avatar of Mathlann etc look great. the Character with the Octopus screams Nurgle Scrivener demon hero though, so hopefully it's something more unique.

Yeah, I mean they're pretty clearly magical in nature, not just from the earlier rumours but from the flying stands. Makes me think of the Grindylow from China Mieville's The Scar; underwater creatures who use enchantments to 'float' in the air when they need to leave the ocean.

I agree that the riders' legs should be closer to the more recent Eldar jetbikes to give a sense of speed. The shark riders don't seem to have quite as much of that problem because of their mounts' size but the two eel units would benefit from it.

Great-looking release overall though. I love the preponderance of scalloped armour, looks like it'll be easy to get good results with the right combination of washes.  The not-Teclis/Aislinn/aspect of Mathlann dude on the wave is great in general but in particular for bringing back the glorious fish armour from the Lothern seaguard champion.

Love them. Glad to see the rumours about Mathlann were true - the Avatar of Mathlann. I hear his actual name begins with an 'E', I don't believe him to be Teclis. 

The guy on the mythical seahorse/serpent/narhwal is the leader right? Like a Deep 'Sea King' (Pokemon) :D

The turtle looks phenomenal. Not sure about the eels myself, but willing to wait. The riders themselves are brilliant.

23 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Just to point out, the trailer shows two different cavalry kits not just one. One is mounted on the eels, the other are on bulkier, shark like creatures. One of the turtle pictures shows the shark ones with two riders, a pilot and a crossbowman.

Yeah - this fits with the rumours about the kits. This also follows with the blind troop choice, thralls and reavers was it? The blind aelves are very muscular. I wish they were thinner and taller, might make them a bit more menacing in a different way?

Octopus sorcerer or whatever also looks incredible.

Overall, I'm impressed. 

After thinking it through and looking at the models I'm very disappointed I guess only option to build competitive army around big heroes and infantry can suck me in. 

After fanastic Kharadrons this guys are average - only Surfer/Aquaman is really fantastic also shooitng infantry looks decent. 

Kharadrons were 100% these guys aren't

- cavalery looks like copy of Dark Eldar bikers and Harlequin double bikes, which is quite bad and repetitive

- infantry especially guys with swords look like Dark Eldar guys with slightly different weapons and heads even their poses are similar 

- Turtle is ok but isn't as good as Morathi, Alarielle or LoC. 

- guy on big SeaHorse is just Manfred copied

I guess they wasted great potential of Soul-Sucking Vampire Aelves and created somekind of Dark Eldar/Harlequin/Exodite hybrid and only stand out model is big Avatar. It's also disappointed as they obviously copied their older sets (bikes, Dark Eldar, Manfred) instead of doing something 100% fresh. 

I hope there is a way to play with big fellas (as I like Manfred model anyway) as would love to kitbash infantry and add Avatar and Elven Manfred and Mistweaver/other heroes. 

13 pages already?! Riiiiight.

So where does the wishlisting stop and the actual discussion about the Adepticon reveals start please?

Considering going all in on these as my new Tournament army. Might do what @Paul Buckler did with his KO (and likely will do with these!) and try to keep up painting the new releases weekly.

I think I'm sold on all the larger kits and I saw a photo of the archer infantry that looked lovely. Just need a bit of convincing on the melee infantry (if same kit as archers then all good) and eel riders.

Have we heard anything on release schedule yet?

Chris

9 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

So where does the wishlisting stop and the actual discussion about the Adepticon reveals start please?

Considering going all in on these as my new Tournament army. Might do what @Paul Buckler did with his KO (and likely will do with these!) and try to keep up painting the new releases weekly.

I think I'm sold on all the larger kits and I saw a photo of the archer infantry that looked lovely. Just need a bit of convincing on the melee infantry (if same kit as archers then all good) and eel riders.

Chris

Warhammer Weekly were at the announcement and they said "very soon" in the Q&A apparently. That usually means about 3 weeks? 

Love it!! Not what I was expecting but I think this beats what I was hoping for. Little bit uneasy about the reuse of some CAD but hey ho. Pretty sure mistweaver is part of this as there is a very similar model on top of the turtle;)

28 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Chris

rumor is that 14th of April - preorders, 21th of April first wave of release possibly Battletome, Cards, Dices and 2 boxes. 

25 minutes ago, CDM said:

Love it!! Not what I was expecting but I think this beats what I was hoping for. Little bit uneasy about the reuse of some CAD but hey ho. Pretty sure mistweaver is part of this as there is a very similar model on top of the turtle;)

Hmm, the mask is similar. 

4 minutes ago, SuperHappyTime said:

I don’t see anything that points me to think either Mistweaver Saih or the Tenebrael Shard belongs in this army.

And so I squee with weak wrists flailing, “More Elves!!!”

... But I agree. I still don't think she is and to be honest, there looks to be at least a couple of what looks like magic users. Pointy guy on the boat, and the octopus dude. It could well be Mistweaver is blind or something. The female hero character also has her eyes closed. 

Also, does it look like two kits for the boats? A more complete one that pointy guy is on, but also a broken version. That might just be the angles shown to be fair.

I've took some screen grabs:

Slide1.JPG.eee3485c22fd3e1adbfd7df34aa78995.JPGSlide2.JPG.90247ff7255e9e06760626c9a71f5399.JPGSlide3.JPG.ea529931719f15d9fdbf1921d7b86613.JPGSlide4.JPG.310dfdbdf8d4e92b5f12889e2bc3d759.JPGSlide5.JPG.d62c2b6455b8f39d76036233c5a4b350.JPGSlide6.JPG.7c8fc871c78014b953e0891867a3905e.JPGSlide7.JPG.ba991f091bd19632d325ee1126ff049b.JPGSlide8.JPG.b7b7763f3548e9ba397c0b5432dc7cd0.JPGSlide9.JPG.b3098de951fc861950c0555f9f73d6c3.JPGSlide10.JPG.c87511b9ec5838accfdf3e7076ebd016.JPGSlide11.JPG.bd97e9f5e096af2c09b763b71c0bb98a.JPGSlide12.JPG.6661a4543dfb9c1a08878d6976c07c0a.JPGSlide13.JPG.10fcad36e245b3b518a27094bbd42426.JPGSlide14.JPG.e098565ae7b673d75c9936ef702761f0.JPGSlide15.JPG.d32f1f4f28f252fa2074d594d6949e34.JPGSlide16.JPG.0beae55c6b29cf068e1bd788eee2fcde.JPGSlide17.JPG.60cfb97a3d5e917c72e65778aa065483.JPGSlide18.JPG.5296b561e351e69fdbe88e4d4e926f56.JPGSlide19.JPG.ca091c1b13a949b5ee7c1eed1f1971d1.JPGSlide20.JPG.d0d23911cf821c1388c791cdd2983742.JPGSlide21.JPG.ef985e660273c6c195e730ad6cb3c3ef.JPGSlide22.JPG.3392cb80d37cdf5fa20c4b5aeb5cefee.JPGSlide23.JPG.1926df7790d088900da768fe09cd9e31.JPGSlide24.JPG.6efd3d53b4b59cefba544b31e9b80b69.JPGSlide25.JPG.641a6ec422d0a21ddd4d9c7755096f55.JPGSlide26.JPG.1976d70dd89facee1aa4885ca0edbe65.JPG

You can see  the two different turtle configs - is it just a helmet change for the 'driver'? Still has  the masked drummer at the back.

Looks like a few unit or weapon options for the thralls and a few again for the eels/sharks. Looks properly like  a dual kit for the eel one and then the more heavy shark-esque creature is separate. 

The female hero looks like one kit, then  the male hero with the scythe, pointy aelf and octo-aelf. Add the narhwal pirate aelf and Mathlann aelf and that a lot of hero options that maybe Mistweaver just isn't needed? Equally, the heroes all seem to have a fish or something, Mistweaver doesn't. 

35 minutes ago, SuperHappyTime said:

I don’t see anything that points me to think either Mistweaver Saih or the Tenebrael Shard belongs in this army.

Yeah, it's super odd. They have some similar cues, but also some pretty stark differences.

Mistweaver Saih has the crescent moon iconography and riding on smoke/mist as opposed to water. Her mask though does have similarities to the guy on the back of the turtles.

Tenebrael Shard is leaping off some kind've tentacle, but otherwise shares almost nothing in common with the images we've seen so far.

So will be interesting to see if anything else in the range has similarities to them (As we know this is not the entire Idoneth range), or whether they're actually a part of the Deepkin at all.

Mistweaver also has those bits protruding from her arms which I just don't see with these aelves. 

Honestly, I just don't see the fit aside from the drummer on the turtle's mask. Not even the mist is aquatic compared to the motifs on all 6 or whatever heroes we see here. 

Archived