The Painting Contract - March 2018

TheOtherJosh

2 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

@Arentius that ... is one huge model ... looking good!

Thank you! And yeah he’s giant, I have no idea how I’m going to transport him. I’m looking into a custom case now!

heres a normal skeleton and a scratchcard for size comparison 

CFD425D0-F715-4DC4-83F8-ADB4B94122D0.jpeg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Arentius said:

Thank you! And yeah he’s giant, I have no idea how I’m going to transport him. I’m looking into a custom case now!

heres a normal skeleton and a scratchcard for size comparison 

CFD425D0-F715-4DC4-83F8-ADB4B94122D0.jpeg

Magnetized base? And a metal bottom on a plastic storage bin?

conceptually like this reddit article:

But likely using a taller bin... and multiple strong magnets in the base of Nagash.

1 hour ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Magnetized base? And a metal bottom on a plastic storage bin?

conceptually like this reddit article:

But likely using a taller bin... and multiple strong magnets in the base of Nagash.

That looks like a remarkably good idea, I'll see how I can achieve that in the UK thank you!

Slight revision to this month's contract pledge & an update.

All the details have now been completed and I've also sorted out all of the movement trays too.   Painted up, I don't feel they detract too much from how the units look and certainly speed up how the army plays in game.

20180310_084738.jpg.bdeb5b36467a86b8376cc54d1812b157.jpg

Rather the Garden of Morr I'm instead going to generically say "some scenery".  I've done some of the wall sections from the Fortified Manor which I'm pretty chuffed with - this was barely an afternoon's work, though I'm not 100% sold on the brown dirt (but it should match my realm of battle boards)

20180309_174735.jpg.31b7db75361febde76c271411d3496c0.jpg

Here's the full army (rather than repost the same pictures).

10 hours ago, Swooper said:

Finished the Darkoath Chieftain today. Quite happy with how he came out!

IMG_20180309_171631.jpg.10554f74449581c23f5689b39e29bc10.jpg

IMG_20180309_171651.jpg.c6e3abef650162d95a9f70455d2bb2f9.jpg

Looks great. What's the snow recipe? The snow I've been using from Galeforce isn't great, 2 layers in and it's still not brill. 

7 minutes ago, Swooper said:

It's just Valhallan Blizzard texture paint. It's actually the part I'm least happy with, it looks a little too rough for what I was imagining.

Ahh that's a shame. What I've got is a little fine, like white flock. It looks more like melting snow than actual snow! I guess we'd both like something in between?? ?

So my morathi plans have not been able to come into fruition. I managed to defeat the snow and pick up the model last Sunday but then was rushed into hospital so haven’t been able to touch it. I was given a bit of time out of hospital today and managed to pick up and build the new releases but this will be as far as I get in March as I will be having an op on Tuesday and be out of action until mid April but painting is great when you are feeling a bit better but still in recovery. And I will definitely keep following progress on here!!

The kits went together quite well but the khinerai were frustratingly fiddly. Also not much room for to much customisation which is a bit of a shame but do love the look of them.

CF53DFD6-0A05-4489-8ACE-EF9C2EDFF9E0.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

5 ladies done! How’s everyone’s pledge going ? 

Also i’m not sold on the sisters shields. A bit to fiddly and small. What do you think? Overcompensating or suitably brutal? 

CDBD438E-C86B-4C85-8AD6-71BA63223AAA.jpeg.57908427a97aeca6be4a6efac63f574b.jpeg

D0ABA88E-9EBB-4609-BAA5-759E17345777.jpeg.b07c77b9b5b5d876099ee10274b7503a.jpeg

For female Tzeentch Arcanites ... those will do just fine ... ^_^

Excellent ..... *thrums fingers together looking rather pleased* This is all coming together ... just ... as ... planned. B|

(Oh and my pledge is coming along great! Though I have been side tracked with putting together a bookshelf/display case to have a place for all of the minis ...) :ph34r:

On 3/10/2018 at 2:24 AM, Arentius said:

That looks like a remarkably good idea, I'll see how I can achieve that in the UK thank you!

Sorry for the late reply. Plastic storage box from B&Q about £5.00, search internet for sheet metal workers in your area and then nip in with the box and ask if they can cut a metal sheet to fit the bottom of the box. It doesn't have to be exact, 2-3mm gap around the edges and corners cut at 45 degrees fits just fine.

I have done this for my SCE and it will fit all but the tallest models. For Nagash or tall one off models, I have a panetone tin left over from Christmas. Alternative to a tall tin is a long tin with metal sides. Once he is magnetised you can "lay" him down and stick him to the side. It feels odd seeing a model on its side, but it works, provided you have enough magnets.

Also if you do magnetise the bases, don't leave the models in the storage box. I found that the magnets would break loose from the base of the model over time. The models are then loose and rattle around when transported. Not a good look when you get them out the other end!

Okay, first monthly pledge guys, I have a pledge for 2018 but generally too busy to manage monthlies. Work has eased up so here goes.

1 x Knight Venator

1 X Gavriel Sureheart.

Not mush this month but I have been finishing a 2000 point SCE army for a tournament this weekend so a bit bleary eyed at the moment. (going Gold blind).

March goal: Finish my start collecting Pestilens box!

So far this month I've finished the plague monks eyVaNIb.jpg

I have magnetised the plague furnace to also work as a screaming bell and have the plagueclaw catapult sub assembled.

Hoping to have them both finished by the end of the month!

On 3/9/2018 at 4:15 PM, stato said:

Ok bit late posting my commitment but this month I need to finish my first months models for a little collect/paint/play slow grow campaign my club is having (details in my blog, link in sig.).

So March is..

20 Freeguild Guard (bretonnian Men at Arms)

1 Eldritch Loremaster (or Archmage, undecided at this point)

1 Empire General (who i seem to have lost, so this may be replaced with something else).

Spoiler

Current progress is all Freeguild Guard based with main colour (blue for Tempest Eye) and light zenithal highlight, 7 Freeguild with all colours blocked and washed and most highlighted. This picture was mid that stage.

freeguild.jpg

I also have my Shadespire Orruks to finish and my Steelhearts Campions, however as this is now the 9th of March ive actually finished my Steelhearts! (could still add a bit more too them but maybe in the future)

steelheart.jpg.6600e443e4d7fe25675557bf4d72bd55.jpg

Some great inspiration on this topic, keeping me motivated but been very short on time last few days.  Nothing new started but minor progress on my freeguild. Struggling with highlights on the cloth as edge highlighting just seems to stark and blending (or my very basic attempt) just results in most of the area being the highlight colour o.O. Anyway, 7 nearly finished except for some highlights on details and basing. Now for the next 7, which thankfully I airbrushed base colour at the same time as these.

5aa7aa328445b_Tempest1.jpg.1cd601d8adcb1843d927cab552b13877.jpg

EDIT: Of course ive completely forgotten about the Freeguild shields! Thankfully I painted the main white panel of these with the airbrush at the begining of the month so only need to paint the silver trims, tidy up the black backs and paint the flesh on the hands.

8qRqnZ1.jpg

Here's the WIP for this week. The puppets started out as an attempt to improve how I paint different colours, but then a friend pointed out that they looked like mini changelings, so I started using them as horrors. They're a bit too small for pinks so since horrors now split I'm using them as blues. Just finished rebasing and bringing the unit up to 40. 

Also finished the multicoloured Tzaangors which I'll post over in my blog, and made a bit of progress on Kairos, the shamen and my fatemaster.. Sadly at the weekend my Lord of Change had an unfortunate meeting with the edge of my desk and took a large number of mortal wounds.

JCBGNeb.jpg

10 minutes ago, AGPO said:

.. Sadly at the weekend my Lord of Change had an unfortunate meeting with the edge of my desk and took a large number of mortal wounds.

JCBGNeb.jpg

Is this a resin/Finecast or metal version?

if it is the metal version I would solidly recommend pinning the wing and hand using a metal rod (ie paperclip or brass rod) as It doesn’t appear as though you’re pinning the joins.

And pinning will give much better stability  and support.

Heres a pretty good link on the process:

http://axesandarrows.blogspot.com/2013/06/how-to-pin-miniatures.html?m=1

Yeah this guy's not been pinned. I bought him second hand and pre-assembled. I realised he hadn't been pinned when one of the wings broke off, but didn't want to take the guy apart to re-do it. Now that he's had his brush with fate I'll probably strip the whole thing down and build him properly.

Just now, AGPO said:

Yeah this guy's not been pinned. I bought him second hand and pre-assembled. I realised he hadn't been pinned when one of the wings broke off, but didn't want to take the guy apart to re-do it. Now that he's had his brush with fate I'll probably strip the whole thing down and build him properly.

Brush with Fate ... good one ... for a Lord of Change ... xD

Archived