Is the Deathmarch battalion worth it any more?

Jgregs

I kind of think its not any more for a few reasons.

1. loss of the infernal standard

2. Wight Kings not being a competitive hero choice any more.

3. you can now get the hero phase movement bonus in a sacrament list for free if you take the mastery of death command trait.

There are only 2 builds I can think of now where it is worth taking.

1. Grand host of nagash list with lord of nagashizzar

2. Sacrament list with master of death for a 7" move in the hero phase.

You have graveyards so if you decided to take mass units fo skellies for example you bringing back mega numbers still. You can potentially make a solid 1 or 2 drop list from it. Wight Kings, compared to most death, have a decent save (I like the axe wielders special little ability to just take out a unit not that its likely to happen) what with old matey sword and board and old matey special armour. There are other reasons but these are just a couple. I think it's still viable. 

Honestly, I'd be more than a little interested see how well both battalions would work in a Sacrament List. It would have to be incredibly point heavy, seeing as a unit can't be in two battalions at once, but at the same time, Skeletons that move at 11" a turn sound pretty spooky. 17" Black Knights are pretty scary as well. 

I'll try to throw together a list, but a Bone-Train list sounds pretty hilarious.

Just to see what it would look like, here's the Death march and Legion of Death battalions put together.

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade(120)
- Artefact: Balefire Lantern 
Wight King with Black Axe (120)
- General
- Trait: Lord of Nagashizzar 
- Artefact: Ossific Diadem 
30 x Skeleton Warriors (240)
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Spears
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
5 x Grave Guard (80)
- Great Wight Blades
5 x Grave Guard (80)
- Great Wight Blades
5 x Black Knights (120)
5 x Black Knights (120)
Deathmarch (110)
Legion of Death (110)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 180

12 hours ago, Undeadly said:

Just to see what it would look like, here's the Death march and Legion of Death battalions put together.

I'm confused... Legion of Death doesn't exist anymore does it? I thought it had just become Deathmarch. So basically this is Deathmarch twice? 

I'm really torn with the battalion.

The pros, as I see them: dropping a huge amount of your army in 1 go; an extra artifact; a guaranteed black knight returning every turn (if close to the king).

The cons, as I see them: is the movement relevant now that we can deepstrike? Is the regeneration worth it now with our crazy amount of regeneration? The battalion tax could be spent on something like another necromancer.  

If you intend to just use Deathrattle then there's no doubt it's worth it mind. 

34 minutes ago, lare2 said:

I'm confused... Legion of Death doesn't exist anymore does it? I thought it had just become Deathmarch. So basically this is Deathmarch twice? 

I'm really torn with the battalion.

The pros, as I see them: dropping a huge amount of your army in 1 go; an extra artifact; a guaranteed black knight returning every turn (if close to the king).

The cons, as I see them: is the movement relevant now that we can deepstrike? Is the regeneration worth it now with our crazy amount of regeneration? The battalion tax could be spent on something like another necromancer.  

If you intend to just use Deathrattle then there's no doubt it's worth it mind. 

Why should it not exist anymore? It's still legit as it is all the Grand Alligence Death book. And there is a FAQ that confirm all old warscroll remain valid.

The only thing for now that can delete warscrolls are the general Handbook, and for now we miss some time to the GH2018

EDIT: anyway deathmarch improved quite a bit cause the units improved as possibilities themselves. The wight kings can have the artifact equivalent to the stendard itself (ossific diadem), so it's not a lose if playing an only WK. 

And the advantage of the movement is not be corralated to the general fro the Legion of Sacrament so it's a good thing. It's really good to be used as warscroll battalion in Grand Host, Night and Sacrament.

Ah...there is not limit in doubling the warscroll battalions, so you can anyway use the Deathmarch twice , you don't need to declare the Legion of Death

• 6 months later...

Just came across this. In Age of Sigmar 2.0 this battailon is only allowed in a Grand Alliance Death army according to the Core Rules Designers’ Commentary. This also applies to the "Castellans of the Crimson Keep" battalion.

Core Rules Designer's Commentary page 7:

Q: The rules say that a warscroll battalion can include allies and that they don’t count against the number of allies in the army. Does this rule only apply to battalions that share the same allegiance as the army, but that have units from two different factions (a battalion in a Daughters of Khaine army that has Daughters of Khaine and Stormcast Eternals units, for example)?

A: Yes. The faction a warscroll battalion belongs to is shown on its warscroll, above the title of the battalion. In addition, the battalion is assumed to belong to the Grand Alliance that its faction is a part of. Warscroll battalions that share the same allegiance as an army can always be taken as part of the army, and if they include any allied units, these units do not count against the limits on the number of allies the army can have (or against the points limit that can be spent on allies in a Pitched Battle). An army can include a warscroll battalion of a different allegiance to the rest of the army, but if it does so the units in it do count against the limits on the number of allies the army can have (and the points for the battalion and the units in it count against the points limit that can be spent on allies in a Pitched Battle).

The faction shown above the title is "DEATH" is this case. As no faction has DEATH itself as an ally, the battalion can only be used in a Grand Alliance Death army.

21 minutes ago, Duke of Gisoreux said:

Just came across this. In Age of Sigmar 2.0 this battailon is only allowed in a Grand Alliance Death army according to the Core Rules Designers’ Commentary. This also applies to the "Castellans of the Crimson Keep" battalion.

The faction shown above the title is "DEATH" is this case. As no faction has DEATH itself as an ally, the battalion can only be used in a Grand Alliance Death army.

Nope.

pag. 60 LON:B, 3° cloumn: Legions of Nagash.

The only faction in LON:B that can't use Deathmarch is Soulblight allegiance.

That FAQ that you reported has another important way: it let you use the NH:B warscroll battalion and the LON:B legions ones with GA:D.

2 minutes ago, Duke of Gisoreux said:

Thank for pointing that out. I missed that the bataillons also get the keyword.

Don't worry. I didn't notice the:

"In addition, the battalion is assumed to belong to the Grand Alliance that its faction is a part of."

of the FAQ you quoted until some day ago. It happens. And a lot of people seem to skip that rule about the legions.

Anyway read really good the Faqs, cause there has been a heavy change about  the description of the deathmarch. Eventually I've done a video about it^^

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

How so? 

Within 9" seems way more flexible than wholly within 12".  In a batallion that could easily have 100+ models, that it a lot of fiddling with placement and formation.

To be fair, I haven't actually played revised Deathmarch, so maybe I am imagining awkwardness that isn't there.  But it certainly seems like it could be.

2 hours ago, Lemon Knuckles said:

Within 9" seems way more flexible than wholly within 12".  In a batallion that could easily have 100+ models, that it a lot of fiddling with placement and formation.

To be fair, I haven't actually played revised Deathmarch, so maybe I am imagining awkwardness that isn't there.  But it certainly seems like it could be.

There is . It's a bit of a headache . If you are compact is not too much a problem, but being wholly within it mens that you have to pay attention to your movement anc check carefully to stay inside that range. Big units of skeletons or even 10 blackknights can easily exit from such range if you don't pile in.

Moreover the realweakness is the relation of everything to the wight king. You can preserve him a little with a feather cloak and keeping him close to the units, and keeping the wight king on steed so that it can aplyfy it's range. Anyway we are still talking about a model with only 5 wounds and if dead... beh..everything cease.

The problems about bases and range:

6 minutes ago, ianob said:

...and ended 4-1 (10th place with the various soft scores, 5th place without them) with my only loss being to the winner, so I’d say Deathmarch definitely has some legs!

How did you run it? I’ve got 3 lists prepared to test myself and I’m wondering if they’re anything like yours. 

3 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

What’s the name of the podcast and is it on YouTube or something?

Not him but the Podcast is JustSaying, there's a link to the subforum for it in his signature. You can find a thread for every episode there or just look on the site.

Archived