Dread Solstice global campaign strategy room - WEEK 6: DRAKE FOR THE LEAST BAD BAD END?

Double Misfire

ds1.jpg.257411d2c522aced4c32efd6cb4894a8.jpg

So, the first week of the Dread Solstice global campaign is up and we've got a slightly clearer idea of how the dilemmas work. Each of the three options offered (Drake, Eye and Skull) has a set of rules for the week attached to it along with a special Harbinger-only hidden artefact attached to it, that according to this community site article will be available for use after the campaign is over!

Like many other Order players I'm sure, I chose poorly and voted for the Skull option during Week 1's dilemma, giving a week-long buff to Death armies and a permanent upgrade to the Knight of Shrouds. Now that we know how the campaign works, I propose we put our heads together and figure out the best of the three options for Order and the Lord-Ordinator. Unlocking artefacts for the Lord-Ordinator won't just be a boost for artillery connoisseurs like me, if he unlocks enough bonus artefacts you might have a reason to use him in non gunline lists too (outside of his fabulous moustache of course!). ;)

We're still the most numerous grand alliance, and if we get organised here and across social media, and pool our votes onto the choices over the next five weeks that look like they're most set to benefit us, we should be in line to reap the most goodies, and hopefully have Nagash's bony butt thoroughly whipped by the end of the campaign.

Week 2 of the campaign is now upon us and these are our dilemma and options:

Ui40pTE.jpg

rH3qfya.jpg

Of the three choices I'd say that the Eye (dispose of those who know) looks to be the most in line with Order's MO of security and stability, especially with Lunaghast "come to feed on the secrets of men, duardin and aelves". I'd wager suppression of secrets would probably be the best way to keep the peace right now (and if you want to get really cryptic executioners and assassins are both the names of Order units).

So far the Drake's currently leading by a relatively sizeable margin (looking at last week I'm starting to sense a pattern among players picking the result that enables them to maim the most stuff), but we're only seven hours into the week and it's still anyone's game.

Should we agree to pile all our votes into the Eye this week, or does anyone think either of the other two choices would provide greater benefit to Sigmar and pals?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, can you really call the Eye the best here?  That's propping up tyrants who rule through deceit.  Sounds more like a pro-Tzeentch vote to me.  Or even a vote in support of Nagash's vampyric infiltrators.  On the other hand, the Drake clearly ferments disorder and rebellion this week, encouraging Order cities to waste time and lives fighting themselves, so I agree that's an overtly terrible choice for Order.  In my mind, the best choice for Order this week is, perhaps counter-intuitively, the Skull.  Last week too many warnings went unheeded, it's probably best this time around to scratch back all the prophesies and lore that can yet be salvaged from this 'Lunaghast'.

Make sure all that knowledge that was accidentally thrown away in the first week gets to where it was supposed to go all along.

17 minutes ago, Sception said:

Eh, can you really call the Eye the best here?  That's propping up tyrants who rule through deceit.  Sounds more like a pro-Tzeentch vote to me.  On the other hand, the Drake ferments disorder and rebellion this week, so I agree that's a terrible choice for Order.  In my mind, the best choice for Order this week is, perhaps counter-intuitively, the Skull.  Last week too many warnings went unheeded, it's probably best this time around to scratch back all the prophesies and lore that can yet be salvaged from this 'Lunaghast'.

Or at least help the souls of those unjustly killed prophets escape the moon's pull to find their proper resting place among the afterlives of Shyish.

Pretty much I think the other two options are red herrings for  order players. In reaction they think skull is the worst option(due to last week)  BUT if you think in context of the malign portent supplement skull would give you the information you need to stop nagash. Eye and Drake you are either ignoring or exploiting the situation.

If you haven't read the malign portent supplement do so. Think and dissect it, I spoke clearly on page 2 of the main thread that week 1 would support nagash but people said I was wrong or our argument was tiresome. Look at what has happened I was right. 

19 minutes ago, Sception said:

Eh, can you really call the Eye the best here?  That's propping up tyrants who rule through deceit.  Sounds more like a pro-Tzeentch vote to me.  On the other hand, the Drake ferments disorder and rebellion this week, so I agree that's a terrible choice for Order.  In my mind, the best choice for Order this week is, perhaps counter-intuitively, the Skull.  Last week too many warnings went unheeded, it's probably best this time around to scratch back all the prophesies and lore that can yet be salvaged from this 'Lunaghast'.

Or at least help the souls of those unjustly killed prophets escape the moon's pull to find their proper resting place among the afterlives of Shyish.

11 minutes ago, shinros said:

Pretty much I think the other two options are red herrings for  order players. In reaction they think skull is the worst option  BUT if you think in context of the malign portent supplement skull would give you the information you need to stop nagash. Eye and Drake you are either ignoring or exploiting the situation.

See guys, we've literally got Nagash and Arkhan invading the thread telling us not to vote Eye, an even more ringing endorsement of suppressing the stolen secrets that they've chosen to publicly broadcast across the span of the Mortal Realms this week.

Harsh times call for harsh measures. Take a leaf out of the Knights Excelsior's book and vote Eye to burn a few infected crops in order to save the entire farm. ¬¬

3 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

See guys, we've literally got Nagash and Arkhan invading the thread telling us not to vote Eye, an even more ringing endorsement of suppressing the stolen secrets that they've chosen to publicly broadcast across the span of the Mortal Realms this week.

Harsh times call for harsh measures. Take a leaf out of the Knights Excelsior's book and vote Eye to burn a few infected crops in order to save the entire farm. ¬¬

I actually do genuinely think skull is going to help order. Look at the community post, they ignored the portents by literally killing the messengers who could lead them to nagash. Eye and Drake are red herrings I just can't shake that feeling just looking at them in face value in context of the supplement. 

Drake:You are ignoring the situation for revenge. 

Eye:You are killing people who are shouting out secrets to protect yourself. Not to stop Nagash.

Skull:You are seeking secrets of the cosmos

Which of the three would help you stop Nagash's unknown plan? Drake or eye does not get you closer to shyish or gain knowledge on what is going on with Nagash, Skull does. Now skull might benefit nagash as well but at the same time I think for this week order going drake or eye is shooting themselves in the foot. GW have just told us tremors are coming from shyish which option gets people closer to that? Skull does. If you don't believe me read the malign portent supplement and look at the ordinator get into his head which option would he pick?

The knight of shrouds is not trying to divine the portents but kill people who are trying to figure it out. Or those who get close to the great work. I personally believe that death has no stake this week. We just got a buff last week. This week seems more like a... "mortal" affair. 

1 minute ago, shinros said:

Which of the three would help you stop Nagash's unknown plan? Drake or eye does not get you closer to shyish or gain knowledge on what is going on with Nagash, Skull does. Now skull might benefit nagash as well but at the same time I think for this week order going drake or eye is shooting themselves in the foot. GW have just told us tremors are coming from shyish which option gets people closer to that? Skull does. If you don't believe me read the malign portent supplement and look at the ordinator get into his head which option would he pick?

The knight of shrouds is not trying to divine the portents but kill people who are trying to figure it out. Or those who get close to the great work. I personally believe that death has no stake this week. We just got a buff last week. This week seems more like a... "mortal" affair. 

I agree that we don't know the full extent of Nagash's plan, but the ongoing narrative has featured Nagash's emissaries offering human factions the chance to stay living in exchange for their servitude, and destabilising their morale with stolen secrets would be a pretty smart way to speed this along.

I agree that it's unlikely any of the options will give in game benefits to Death/the Knight of Shrouds this week, I suspect that the three options given each week will match the grand alliances that didn't "win" the previous week (with Order most likely not having had a winning choice the first week on the campaign).

Just now, Double Misfire said:

I agree that we don't know the full extent of Nagash's plan, but the ongoing narrative has featured Nagash's emissaries offering human factions the chance to stay living in exchange for their servitude, and destabilising their morale with stolen secrets would be a pretty smart way to speed this along.

I agree that it's unlikely any of the options will give in game benefits to Death/the Knight of Shrouds this week, I suspect that the three options given each week will match the grand alliances that didn't "win" the previous week (with Order most likely not having had a winning choice the first week on the campaign).

Honestly the winning choice for order was drake last week.  I think it was pretty obvious. 

FOLLOW THE FALLING STAR

The stars themselves are the key. You use powerful spells or shamanic rites to manipulate these celestial bodies to your will.

The lord Ordinator's MO is binding and reading the stars which he is using with the citadel to divine what doom is coming. 

1 minute ago, shinros said:

Honestly the winning choice for order was drake last week.  I think it was pretty obvious. 

FOLLOW THE FALLING STAR

The stars themselves are the key. You use powerful spells or shamanic rites to manipulate these celestial bodies to your will.

The lord Ordinator's MO is binding and reading the stars which he is using with the citadel to divine what doom is coming. 

I agree to a point and you're probably right in hindsight, shamanistic rights and manipulating celestial bodies to your will just sounded a bit too respectively Destruction-y/Chaos-y for my liking at the time. :P 

Skull this week definately...The other Two would clearly continue The advantages death has gained this week. 

Though i think this campaign is pre-set to lift death and tune down order in The Lore. I think every week will be about choosing The lesser of Three evils. 

Honestly, I think Drake might provide the best choice for Order in general; If we are to go off the idea that last week we killed the Harbringers and Seers and Prophets, than it would only make sense that by avenging them, we are taking the fight to those who slayed them, IE, Nagash and his goons.

21 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Well it looks like I've been outvoted. :$

Skull now has a comfortable lead so I'm going to keep voting Eye this week unless it looks like Drake is catching up. Nobody wants Drake to win!

I look forward to being proven wrong by you all on Thursday! :D

Honestly I don't think there is a clear answer this time. Which is a good thing IMO. I do feel this week is for the other three alliances, GW aren't going to buff death again. 

I too want to chime in for The Skull for Week 2.  I think since we failed to follow portents last week and Nagash gained the upper-hand, that we must seek out the secrets so we can determine what is unfolding.  So I think Order really needs to do The Skull.  I've got two results in so far for The Skull!

Servants and allies of Order, as I sit here typing this Drake has caught up and is currently level with skull.  :(

1zF6oCk.jpg

Spend the next two days getting as many games in as units painted possible as possible and get to your local GW store. I can't be sure if skull's going to benefit us or not but I can say for certain it's got to be better than skull. This is not a drill, get gaming and painting and get those results in! 

Just now, shinros said:

Right death does not really have a stake again but yeah as xking said go either eye or skull. It's plain as day which one is chaos I don't even have to say it or explain it. 

I'm adopting pragmatism with week and stockpiling my results to register on Sunday when it's clear who's leading between Eye and Skull. If anything Death would probably want to lean slightly harder into Skull than Eye as you're gonna have a hard time raising a burnt body. ;) 

2 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

I'm adopting pragmatism with week and stockpiling my results to register on Sunday when it's clear who's leading between Eye and Skull. If anything Death would probably want to lean slightly harder into Skull than Eye as you're gonna have a hard time raising a burnt body. ;) 

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well but I don't think skull has a chance this week looking at the initial result. It's going to be out of eye or drake. Plus burning the dead could have a terrible result considering this mist is from a chaos god. 

3 minutes ago, shinros said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well but I don't think skull has a chance this week looking at the initial result. It's going to be out of eye or drake. 

The polls haven't been open for two hours yet, give most GW stores a chance to open. ;) 

Also actual info reflecting the result of Week 2's dilemma:

jMSY9Tg.jpg

So Eye and Skull are now almost perfectly level, if only everyone who didn't want the Red Mists to happen could agree on how they didn't want them to happen!

sx8uRls.jpg

I'm going to see which is leading before I throw my results in with it this afternoon, but unless Skull keeps gaining at the same rate it has this weekend, things aren't looking good for folks who aren't Chaos! 

Archived