Finally starting AoS! Looking for advice.

Caillum

Hey all!

It's taken me long enough, but I'm finally jumping aboard AoS.  Never really managed to convince my mates to give it a solid shot.  I want to go for something completely different to my old WFB armies (hordes).  Having done Death & Destruction in the World That Was, it's time to start something for Order!  I always spend an inordinate amount of time researching armies before I bite the bullet.  Been listening to a lot of Podcasts and reading a lot of tactics,  but I've never actually played yet.

Right now I am interested in SCE Vanguard Auxiliary Chamber.  The models are particularly amazing!  Blightwar and the new Start Collecting Vanguard set offer a very cost-friendly way to start this force too, so here's a very early concept list.  The Castellant is the odd one out, but ties in with the Gryph-Hound (which ties in with VAC).  Dropping both of them could get me another 3 Longstrikes though...  I'm trying to keep close to the VAC theme, but I am more than willing to accept any and all feedback.  If it turns into a combined-arms-force, I'll still be happy.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Artefact: Mirrorshield 
- Gryph-Charger Trait: Aethereal Stalker
Neave Blacktalon (120)
Knight-Azyros (80)
Knight-Venator (120)
- Artefact: Luckstone 
Lord-Castellant (100)
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140)
3 x Aetherwings (60)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (220)
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (220)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (180)
Vanguard Angelos Conclave (200)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107

For anyone who wants to suggest another Order force entirely, I'm also interested in Sylvaneth (especially Ironbark) or one of the Firestorm cities - there's something visually pleasing about multiple races all painted in the same scheme! :)

And for anyone who wants to suggest our Chaotic foes, Blades of Khorne are very tempting...

Thanks in advance!

My $0.02 on Khorne, since you're just starting out: My main army is Blades of Khorne and I love it to bits. Lots of tactical fun to be had with combat, and you get to overwhelm opponents and objectives with powerful melee characters/units and complex networks of buffs and bonuses. I should mention though, that there is very little shooting and no magic inherent to the army (in fact it is anti-magic), so you should consider whether you're OK investing when you will be almost entirely focused on movement and combat. On the upside, we do have very offensive Priests with some ranged ability, and our most brutal Battleline troops (Bloodletters) are very easy and quick to paint. Also, we have access to any Khorne-marked Slaves to Darkness - I mention this because these aren't really depicted in the Blades of Khorne book.

*shrinks back into the shadows*

Lol, great responses so far in the Order forum! ?  My fault for inviting it.  I am really keen on Blades of Khorne @Roark.  I have a pretty good theory of how they work, so maybe there’s merit there... Will dive in to the Chaos forum.

I‘ve definitely considered the Starter Set @flemingmma. But the one negative thing about the it is that while it is great value, the monopose Stormcast aren’t ideal.  The hammers on the Prosecutors are so much worse than the javelins, the Liberators don’t come with grandhammers, and there’s only 3 Retributors, so you have to grab the Start Collecting set or find 2 online.  The Blades of Khorne stuff seems a lot easier to convert what you want out of it...

Also, I have read a few times that the Firestorm Allegiances are not allowed a lot of the time. They don’t seem to be that broken when you’re only getting Grand Alliance benefits on top, especially when compared to some of the top-tier tournament lists.  I suppose that will only be a hindrance for competitive gaming anyway.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Vanguard Auxiliary Chamber?

On 23/02/2018 at 5:51 PM, Caillum said:

Lol, great responses so far in the Order forum! ?  My fault for inviting it.  I am really keen on Blades of Khorne @Roark.  I have a pretty good theory of how they work, so maybe there’s merit there... Will dive in to the Chaos forum.

I‘ve definitely considered the Starter Set @flemingmma. But the one negative thing about the it is that while it is great value, the monopose Stormcast aren’t ideal.  The hammers on the Prosecutors are so much worse than the javelins, the Liberators don’t come with grandhammers, and there’s only 3 Retributors, so you have to grab the Start Collecting set or find 2 online.  The Blades of Khorne stuff seems a lot easier to convert what you want out of it...

Also, I have read a few times that the Firestorm Allegiances are not allowed a lot of the time. They don’t seem to be that broken when you’re only getting Grand Alliance benefits on top, especially when compared to some of the top-tier tournament lists.  I suppose that will only be a hindrance for competitive gaming anyway.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Vanguard Auxiliary Chamber?

You can get 2 easy to build retributors for fairly cheap, and with some tweaking and confidence with your clippers you can pose them interestingly

Archived