Covering The Expanding Costs Of TGA

Ben

Hi everyone, 

I thought I should update this old thread to post a note about the new ads that are appearing on the site.  

as suggested by the TGA community in a previous post (see above), the way the site will be funded is via a mixture of ads, subscribers and donations.  

We are at around £350-400 a month in running costs for the traffic we get and I can't fund this myself anymore.  We have had an awesome amount of support from donations and subscribers and sponsors but it is still WAY below what the site is costing to keep up.  

In December I payed out:

$330 USD to the site software hire and hosting
£50 GBPish to mail chimp for the email service
£25 GBP to Amazon AWS for the media hosting

Income from the site was:

1 fantastic sponsor for the month. £100 Thank you MINI MAG TRAY!
Donations in December - £0
Subscriptions in December -  £40

The fact of the matter is that the AdSense ads have been up less than 12 hours at the time of typing and have produced £2.50 already.  Over a full day, and over a year that's probably going to be £1500-2000.  If ad Sense can bering in £5 a day then I will help towards the costs over the year.  (annual costs expected to be £4-5000 in 2020) 

So over the weekend I am adding Ad Sense to the site.  I set it up last night and some time in the night it got activated.  This morning I twerked the amount of display ads and over the next few days i'll be able to set it up so Guests get a high amount.  Logged in users get an average amount, and subscribers get no ads at all.  

some things to bear in mind -

If you subscribe and support the site you get zero ads along with some other features like additions daily reactions, a golden profile and ability to customise your rank name.  

If you are a guest and not logged in you will reduce the amount of ads by logging in.  

If you are a store/creator/manufacturer and want to promote your stuff we can offer you ads on the site. 

it all goes to cover running costs, thanks! 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, SunStorm said:

Just signed up for a subscription to give back a bit, does it take a while for me to stop seeing the ads?

It shouldn’t do. But the site might be cached on your browser. 

ive confirmed with other subscribers and altering my own access permissions too. 

let me know if you are still seeing them. 

5 hours ago, Ben said:

Hi everyone, 

I thought I should update this old thread to post a note about the new ads that are appearing on the site.  

as suggested by the TGA community in a previous post (see above), the way the site will be funded is via a mixture of ads, subscribers and donations.  

We are at around £350-400 a month in running costs for the traffic we get and I can't fund this myself anymore.  We have had an awesome amount of support from donations and subscribers and sponsors but it is still WAY below what the site is costing to keep up.  

In December I payed out:

The fact of the matter is that the AdSense ads have been up less than 12 hours at the time of typing and have produced £2.50 already.  Over a full day, and over a year that's probably going to be £1500-2000.  If ad Sense can bering in £5 a day then I will help towards the costs over the year.  (annual costs expected to be £4-5000 in 2020) 

So over the weekend I am adding Ad Sense to the site.  I set it up last night and some time in the night it got activated.  This morning I twerked the amount of display ads and over the next few days i'll be able to set it up so Guests get a high amount.  Logged in users get an average amount, and subscribers get no ads at all.  

some things to bear in mind -

If you subscribe and support the site you get zero ads along with some other features like additions daily reactions, a golden profile and ability to customise your rank name.  

If you are a guest and not logged in you will reduce the amount of ads by logging in.  

If you are a store/creator/manufacturer and want to promote your stuff we can offer you ads on the site. 

it all goes to cover running costs, thanks! 

I totally get needing funds, but I really feel the google ads (or at least the placement of them) is ruining the forum.  😪 It looks bad, feels bad scrolling and the placement of them ruins the reading experience. 

How about contacting some of the really big players for sponsorship and banner ads (in the top)? I mean, TGA is easily the biggest AoS forum online (not counting social media) and it should be possible to get some sponsorship from some of the big online retail shops - or perhaps even GW themselves? 

Just a thought. Love the forum, love the community and attitude, and really appreciate the work, but really sad about the present look af google ads. 

• Like 3

On 1/25/2020 at 3:44 PM, Ben said:

In December I payed out:

I think everyone needs to move away from the idea that everything on the internet should be free. If this costs Ben money for us using it, we should be helping to pay, or else he's paying for us to enjoy the site and that's not ok. That's part of being a community. If we're happy to spend £500-800 on an army of plastic soldiers, £5 a month shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

I'm sure adverts are annoying but I bet Ben would like to go on a holiday to the Caribbean rather than pay hundreds for us to natter about warhammer. yet he's doing it. 

Edited by hughwyeth
  • Like 7

There should definitely be adverts on the site. As others have said this is probably one of the (if not the) biggest and best AOS forum(s) out there. It shouldnt cost a penny to run and should in fact generate revenue due to this. 

Subscription is a good idea but ad revenue is an obvious choice. 

My one and only criticism is that the ads seem to be effecting the way the site actually works. Go to a new page and it wont load at all, freezing with a loading sign and nothing else but an advert.  You have to refresh to get it to work. I dont believe that is intended and I'm sure it will be fixed quickly enough. Growing pains basically from doing something new and in a week we will be back to focusing on grumbling about battletomes and Op models. 

• Like 1