Competitive Wanderers(yep)

JamesT

I think Wanderers are slightly under-appreciated, and hear me out:

Yes, they are extremely fragile. But as a shooty-alpha strike they can ruin people. Here's a list concept I've been playing around with:

Allegiance: Wanderers

Leaders
Nomad Prince (80)
- General
- Trait: Stalker of the Hidden Paths 
- Artefact: Starcaster Longbow 
Wayfinder (100)
Wayfinder (100)
Wayfinder (100)
Wayfinder (100)
Wayfinder (100)

Battleline
30 x Eternal Guard (210)
- Wanderers Battleline
30 x Glade Guard (360)
30 x Glade Guard (360)
30 x Glade Guard (360)

Units
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)
- Allies
10 x Skinks (60)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
- Allies

Total: 1970 / 2000
Allies: 100 / 400
Wounds: 163

I would deploy them turtled up on one side hugging a board edge (keeping one model from each unit within 6" of the Nomad Prince), and in my first turn I would strike. This is an alpha-strike list pure and simple. Everything teleports up aggressively to be in range of the enemy. Eternal guard go in front of the units so that I have the possibility to fade away next turn. But here's the breakdown of averages:

Everyone congo-lines to get one model from each unit within 8" of the Nomad Prince when they arrive from Realm Wanderers

Each Wayfinder does their once-per-game 3d6 shots. That's 15d6 shots that are 3/3/-1/1 and reroll 1s.   27 wounds at -1 on average. 1.5 wounds with no rend from Hawks

The 90 Glade Guard then also pop their once-per-game -3 shots. So 90 shots at 3/4/-3/1 and reroll 1s as well. 32.5 wounds at -3 on average. 

That's enough on average to wipe out several units. Kill 50-60% of the unit and let the rest battleshock off.  Can try and snipe heroes, warmachines, etc. But even if they managed to completely bubblewrap the heroes, it will still wipe out the front line in one volley. 

There's an option I'm weighing for the list:

Lose Wanderers allegiance and go Living City Allegiance from Firestorm. This lets me take generic order traits(cool), but it also means, crucially, that I can hold everything in reserve and deep strike them on. So I can be completely immune to Gaunt Summoner, Helstorm/Ordinator, etc, and get my first strike guaranteed. But I lose long-game flexibility of continued redeployment...

Thoughts? Am I totally over-reacting, or is 32 -3 wounds and 27 -1 wounds alot for an alpha strike?

1 hour ago, Freejack02 said:

Mmm, that's before the GH2017, a lot of things changed from that.

Anyway there was a Wanderer player who makes top8 in the GT UK. He run the Waystone Pathfinder and in my opinion is the most competitive way to bring a 100% Wanderers army. The 1 Drop makes you to choice to go second (most of the time) and that brings the chance to get the double turn, two things that are essential for an AlphaStrike scenario!

56 minutes ago, Cerve said:

Mmm, that's before the GH2017, a lot of things changed from that.

It has 47 pages of Wanderers discussion, competetive and non-competetive, through today. Very much post GHB17 - it's very relevant, and probably a more likely place the OP will get knowledgeable responses.  

There are the practical difficulties of getting 30 Glade Guard models wholly within 6" of a board edge and  also both 9" from  and within 20" of your opponent.  I haven't played many games with pure Wanderers, but I can tell you that it's not easy.  I've never got the whole unit within range. How you will do that with 2 units and have both within range of the Nomad Prince I do not know.  I tend to harry with 10 Sisters of the Watch backed with 2 Waywatchers and possibly 10 Eternal Guard, but I'm still trying things out.

24 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

There are the practical difficulties of getting 30 Glade Guard models wholly within 6" of a board edge and  also both 9" from  and within 20" of your opponent.  I haven't played many games with pure Wanderers, but I can tell you that it's not easy.  I've never got the whole unit within range. How you will do that with 2 units and have both within range of the Nomad Prince I do not know.  I tend to harry with 10 Sisters of the Watch backed with 2 Waywatchers and possibly 10 Eternal Guard, but I'm still trying things out.

You can get whole units in range... but you end up about 3-4"closer to the enemy for each unit :D 

3 hours ago, Aelfric said:

There's the trick. You don't need to run units of 30 models, 20 is enough. You still shoot at first, so you'll be sure to hit at 3+ anyway.

Anyway, it's possibile. The thing is that you don't need to pop up all the army in the same place. In fact, you can split the army, and play with the Wand. You have to judge carefully game by game, sometimes you can teleport all your army together, sometimes is better to split it up. And I said AlphaStrike, but sometimes is not possible to shoot with all your army. The thing is to enter as the second player, deploy preventing a charge, shooting, then go for the double turn. If it works, you will move and shoot twice (+your battalion ability in the Hero Phase!), if not, you will be able to manage a charge (30 Eternal Guards boosted by magic helps), and then shoot again. Or just teleport away (which is NOT considered as a retreat) and shoot the other side of the enemy deploy.

The power of that batallion is the adaptability. But it's even the tricky part of it.

19 hours ago, Aelfric said:

That's when you use that stupid wand to snake a unit of 30 within 9" of the enemy to get them in range.

17 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

That's when you use that stupid wand to snake a unit of 30 within 9" of the enemy to get them in range.

Unfortunately, that was FAQed recently to be more than 9" from the enemy.  At the moment I am trying out  Stalker ( Waywatcher General ) - keeps my opponent guessing as to which edge I will come in on.  Playing 1500 points at mo ( more on the way ).  Have plenty of painted Aelves, but spread over a number of various factions.

Archived