Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Cyclop Owl

Smooth sand ripple basemaking

Hi all! I am starting to get decently swept into painting a bulk of my Tzeentch army. 

To go with that shimmering magic blue, I’m looking to create gold smooth desert bases in the same spirit as these. My guess is, I need to for the finest sand I can find but I’m not quite sure how to obtain that ripple effect.

My first thought is to use green stuff, but I remember having trouble back in the day to create decently sharp edges in green stuff. 

So, how would you go about it?

E1D94B89-48DA-43E9-A9E8-3DE2F526C7AA.jpeg

• Like 1

Its really not that hard with green stuff, or cheaper modeling putty. What you need though is a rubber sculpture brush. They are quite large and soft. You don't need to do sharp edges actually. Use your fingers as well with olive oil and smooth out the base. You would be covering it with sand anyway so it doesn't need to be the smoother texture ever.

I agree that silicone clay shapers are the tool of preference for smooth putty sculpting.
But I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring and ask have you thought of maybe using a product like Structure Gel or art pastes for the little dunes?
You can buy various varieties textured and non-textured online and in local art/craft stores.

Baking soda can be used as a very fine sand, maybe to cover a greenstuff shape and give it the right texture.

I'd use greenstuff to get the general contours, and for the sand mix it in with pva glue to form a cookie dough like texture (roughly 3 to 1 by volume), you can then sculpt that into shape using just about anything

Hey man,

im at work so i can’t link the YouTube video but look up Kujo painting and check his mars base video.  I think it’s what you’re after.

Yeah, kind of. I think I'm going to put down a much thicker green stuff layer so my ripples can be deeper, but in principle that sounds like it's the same.