What are the must take Stormcast units???

ronin_cse

Hi all!

So I'm starting to put together a list for the 2017 LVO event, just to get an idea of what I want to work towards acquiring and getting built and painted, and I'm wondering if there are any like absolute must take Stormcast units I should be sure to include? It seems like taking a Vexillor and a good size unit of Decimators is a good idea just to be able to destroy something outright but not sure where to go from there.

I have been considering taking a Vexillor and the Hammerstrike force as I could then teleport the Prosecutors instead and then teleport in the Decimators from there allowing me to attack more targets. Also thinking about some dracoth cavalry and maybe going all out with 6 desolators. 

So anyways...what has been people's experiences with the various Stormcast units and which have been absolute MVPs?

I'm sure we'll see the Vex - 10 Retributor - 15 Judicator combo in 95% of mono-stormcast lists, which accounts for a little less than 2/3rds of your 2000 points. Of course, until there are SE specific abilities there is nothing to stop you cherry picking from other Order factions. As far as must haves go - if you are doing the Retributor teleporting then probably a Lord Castellent is nearest to 'must have' so they are more survivable after their initial impact. The Knight Venator is popular, though I wouldn't say it's a must have.

Good advice from @Marc Wilson there. The Vexillor and Retributor combo is solid (Castellant is a must with this IMO) and I actually quite enjoy it, though I can see why some people aren't its biggest fan! It not a must take though. There's plenty of other ways to get mortal wounds and heavy hitters in a SCE list, be it by way of Battalions, Dracothian Guard etc etc.

Judicators are an absolute must though. They are handsdown the best Battleline unit in the game if you ask me. Liberators are still viable though, being a cheaper option (and you are going to run out of points fast).

You can't really go to far wrong as most things within the list work pretty well. Which models do you like best?

9 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Good advice from @Marc Wilson there. The Vexillor and Retributor combo is solid (Castellant is a must with this IMO) and I actually quite enjoy it, though I can see why some people aren't its biggest fan! It not a must take though. There's plenty of other ways to get mortal wounds and heavy hitters in a SCE list, be it by way of Battalions, Dracothian Guard etc etc.

Judicators are an absolute must though. They are handsdown the best Battleline unit in the game if you ask me. Liberators are still viable though, being a cheaper option (and you are going to run out of points fast).

You can't really go to far wrong as most things within the list work pretty well. Which models do you like best?

My goodness judicators are scary to this new Bloodbound player. 

I take some comfort in knowing that I can bring significantly more pin cushions as they have a significantly higher cost than my liberator equivalent. 

23 hours ago, Marc Wilson said:

I'm sure we'll see the Vex - 10 Retributor - 15 Judicator combo in 95% of mono-stormcast lists, which accounts for a little less than 2/3rds of your 2000 points. Of course, until there are SE specific abilities there is nothing to stop you cherry picking from other Order factions. As far as must haves go - if you are doing the Retributor teleporting then probably a Lord Castellent is nearest to 'must have' so they are more survivable after their initial impact. The Knight Venator is popular, though I wouldn't say it's a must have.

Sounds like I'll probably go with this nuke unit then, especially since it's fairly cheap thanks to the starter set. I may go ahead and grab some other order units as well, I'm just assuming that since they are one of the main AoS factions they will get updated with their own command abilities and such before next Feb.

9 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Really I like the whole range but none of them really stand out at me from the others. Of course the Celestant on the Dragon is awesome and I might pick him up, but he's so many points I don't know if I'll use him and his command ability doesn't do anything for a foot based SC army. Might do some dracoth riders too as they are pretty neat but not sure.

9 hours ago, Bowlzee said:

Biggest thing to think about now, is the rule that you need 5 models to claim an objective in Matched Plat scenarios. So those Cheaper Liberators are going to find some life again.

I was unaware of this, yet another reason not to take MSU so the unit can still hold an objective after taking some casualties.

7 minutes ago, TrexPushups said:

My goodness judicators are scary to this new Bloodbound player. 

I take some comfort in knowing that I can bring significantly more pin cushions as they have a significantly higher cost than my liberator equivalent. 

If you think they are scary compare them to the Sylvaneth Kurnoth Hunters. 3 in a unit for 180 pts (vs 5 judicators for 160), 30" range with 2 attacks each -1 rend and D3 damage with 5 wounds each.

Excuse me I think I need to order some now ;)

I like 

The Knight Heraldor giving run & charge to Dracoth riders, and definitely shaking up terrain with his toot too horn.

The Lord Cellestant giving +1 to hit to foot sloggers and Judicators. 

The Lord Castellant giving +1 Save to Liberators when they are taking the charge

plenty of others

A few choice questions.

1. What type of dracoth guard should I use? Fulmenators seem awesome but concussors more consistent. I'm not sure the 40pt difference is worth it though.

2. For the stardrake model, should I assemble it as a celestant or a Templar? A hundred point difference so I'm curious.

I've found a solid core of Liberators so you've got plenty of bodies to cover the battlefield, a unit of Judicators to provide a bit of ranged support and help soften up those units you don't want to get near to, Retributors for their unbelievable hitting power and a Knight Vexillor to help your units get in to combat.

15 hours ago, AmonRa said:

1. What type of dracoth guard should I use? Fulmenators seem awesome but concussors more consistent. I'm not sure the 40pt difference is worth it though.

2. For the stardrake model, should I assemble it as a celestant or a Templar? A hundred point difference so I'm curious.

You've used the word should there twice haha!

There honestly is no right on wrong answer on either question. Personally I'm a big fan of Concussors. Great shooting attack (especially if you're willing to take the Damned terrain buff) and super solid in combat - very consistent as you say. The anti-pile in rule looks great on paper and whilst you'll get the 6's come up often, I'll still not sure it's as amazing as people think. Definitely has the potential to be though. I've also started to use a Tempestor, which is great. However it's taken a bit of a hit in matched play as you can't field them as individuals. Some people really like Fulminators though, so it's totally up to you. If you're really unsure, why not pick up some rare earth magnets and give yourself some options? I believe it's pretty easy to do with this kit.

For the Stardrake, again its down to preference. I'm a fan of the Celestant's shield and situationally the command ability can be good (especially if you're taking lots of Dracothian Guard). Overall though the Stardrake to me is an expensive shooting platform and all about Rain of Stars, therefore there would be an argument for fielding the cheaper Templar. One of my friends chooses this option and finds it pretty solid still.

Maybe assemble and field the Drake sans rider for a few games, trying both options and deciding which you prefer before committing to either of them?

Archived