All-gates v Seeds of War v Generals Handbook timings

Does anyone else feel that its a bit strange that the Seeds of War supplement was released before the All-gates and Generals Handbook were available to read?

I feel like reading the Seeds of War may have spoiled whether Azyr falls during the course of events in the All-gates.

BTW GW confirmed on their Facebook page in response to my question that the Season of War (which presumably includes the Seeds of War) is a sequel to the Realmgate wars campaign. 

Yeah theres a couple of odd bits in the seeds of war stuff where I was like "What?!! when did that happen". I suspect they've just buggered up the release schedule a little trying to fit in a lot before the beginning of summer and perhaps the All-Gates books wasn't ready ( I wish they'd be better in their wording, you have all-gates, all-point, eight-points plus the name of the city etc all to describe this central gate system. I also wish we'd get some better names, all-gates, nu-lahmia are all fairly ****** poor names at evoking a cool world)

I'd guessed that there would be a 4th relamgates war book pre summer and then the 5th book should finish off the campaign once all the results are seen and will likely turn up in Q4

4 minutes ago, Gharak said:

Yeah theres a couple of odd bits in the seeds of war stuff where I was like "What?!! when did that happen". I suspect they've just buggered up the release schedule a little trying to fit in a lot before the beginning of summer and perhaps the All-Gates books wasn't ready ( I wish they'd be better in their wording, you have all-gates, all-point, eight-points plus the name of the city etc all to describe this central gate system. I also wish we'd get some better names, all-gates, nu-lahmia are all fairly ****** poor names at evoking a cool world)

I'd guessed that there would be a 4th relamgates war book pre summer and then the 5th book should finish off the campaign once all the results are seen and will likely turn up in Q4

I think there's a ton of renaming and shuffling going on behind the scenes before books make their final print. I remember the Fyreslayers were referred to as red slayers at the start of AoS. I get a bit of the sense there are about a million half-finished balls in the air at GW and they make rather late decisions on which to send to press and and then rush the finish before deadline. No real harm done of course. Kind of works with the AoS lore that nothing is certain and names change depending on different people's takes on them. One thing I think GW has shown in the last year is they're reacting quickly to customer demand and are really beefing up the lore of the new world. One step at a time of course.

2 hours ago, Gharak said:

All Gates is being marketed as the final Realm Gates War book so i wouldn't get your hopes up.

As to the timing, it's unavoidable really. All Gates comes out on the 9th, the campaign begins on the 14th. If they'd left the Seeds of War fluff until after All Gates release, we'd likely see just as many complaints about not being told the details in time.

The Generals Handbook is less of an issue because it's not needed to take part in the campaign, or to play Age of Sigmar as a whole. It's optional and down to the players to decide which type of game they want to play.

The only one I've had issue with is the Generals Handbook, cause we needed it from the very beginning of AoS.

As for All Points and Season of War being out of order, I think it's intentional, since we've known about All Points since the end of Quest for Ghal Maraz. And I don't think Anyone is dumb enough to believe that Order isnt going to win All Points. So we're stuck with Star Wars Episode 3 Syndrome and trying to get Darth Chaos into the suit.

Let's not forget fluff takes time to write and books time to print, so even if Order gets annihilated in the Season of War, we still have to wait a year or so to read it.

So my thumbs up/down will be based on whether we bust into Light/Shadow/Beasts/Other Area for a meantime.

Still, if they released all-gates just a few weeks earlier the problem would have been sorted and they wouldn't have overloaded last Saturday so much! I wonder if the Realmgate wars are not selling v well so they got pushed back in the schedulingredients priority.  That would be a shame as I think they've got better and better and their hobby content is ace 

I think the realmgate war books have come out too quickly. I couldn't believe when Godbeasts followed Balance For Power about a month after its release. Even hobby hero Mongoose Matt can barely keep up with playing through the campaign - I think he is yet to start God Beasts and already All-gates is coming out. I think it was the same problem with the End Times - the book content is released far too quickly in my opinion.

But then, I really feel the Seasons of War fluff has finally got the AoS lore to where it needs to be. Finally, there are multiple cities worth fighting for, my imagination is coming alive with protecting trade caravans transporting goods through the Realm of Life from one city to the next or Skaven infiltrating the back streets of Greywater Fastness to steal valuable technology.

We're definitely seeing overlap between the two 'seasons' (if we can call them that). The GH showing evidencing two future battletomes could be seen as evidence that they brought it forward.

Also agree with @bottle that the books have been coming thick and fast. We're still on Balance of Power. I think slowing it down slight but packing more in would be more beneficial. Increase the value of the book rather that it no longer being new by the time you get round to ordering it.

I'd like to see them incorporate some of the new Sylvaneth/GHB style gaming aids in new campaign books. The war scrolls are such a turnoff to me buying the book, seem like wasted space for not even a comprehensive collection of the units mentioned in the book. Instead I'd like to see them go beyond scenarios to perhaps a specific path to glory or campaign system for the book, come up with new escalation campaign ideas, perhaps with unique artefacts of power, command traits etc. Scenarios are nice but they quickly became dime a dozen. I'd prefer these books to be something a gaming group can really sink its teeth into.

Archived