Dread Solstice Dilemma - Which Outcome & Why?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Redmanphill said:

Yeah I think Skull is leaning towards the Greenskins, Drake is Chaos while by default Order is Eye this week. 

Yeah people on GA death are generally saying that none of the choices "really" benefit us in a sense I am personally leaning on eye in context of the community post.  Still I can imagine week one with Nagash.

Nagash:Right I am doing something nuts, seers are spouting to high heavens that I am doing something bad. Mortarch's! Marshal the legions! Kill our seers quickly!

Mortarch's: Errr we can't...

Nagash: WHY CAN'T YOU!

Mortarch's:The other GA's killed ALL the seers. 

Nagash: :D

On 15/02/2018 at 3:05 PM, Double Misfire said:

Skull all the way, 

14 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

I'm registering my games as the results that look like they come closest to kicking Nagash in the boney nads. B|

Boy is my face red. :$

Looking forward to seeing how the upgrades for the Harbingers become permanent as described in the community article and voting Eye this week as it looks like the result that most likely to benefit the Lord-Ordinator (and the rest of Order of course!) ;) 

It seems everyone's coming out and voting Drake this time round, looks like folks' are most attracted to the result that involves maiming the most stuff, who knew?

3 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Boy is my face red. :$

Looking forward to seeing how the upgrades for the Harbingers become permanent as described in the community article and voting Eye this week as it looks like the result that most likely to benefit the Lord-Ordinator (and the rest of Order of course!) ;) 

It seems everyone's coming out and voting Drake this time round, looks like folks' are most attracted to the result that involves maiming the most stuff, who knew?

As they say time is a flat circle especially when it comes to warhammer. All we do is smash armies together maiming and killing. But guess who enjoys lot's of death? *wink*

Calling all Order players/moustache lovers!

I've made a Dread Solstice strategy thread in the Order sub forum for us, we're still the most numerous Grand alliance, so if we get organised we can totally own this thing and lock in the most permanent bonus artefacts for the Lord-Ordinator (and er, banish Nagash too. All about banishing Nagash...):

Well done, one and all, in the first week!  A welcome victory for the Great Necromancer and his grand vision of a better, more interesting, more multifaceted Age of Sigmar narrative and conflict!

Unfortunately, we seem to be setting off on the wrong foot in the early hours of week two, so now I'm here to offer my customary guidance.

=============================================

SUPPORT NAGASH IN DREAD SOLSTICE

Again, for far too long now, Age of Sigmar has been a game with a very static, one-dimensional narrative about a conflict between order and chaos, one with obvious good guys and bad guys, no room for shifting alliances, etc.  Nagash's rise to power in the realms is the first real opportunity for that to change for the better.  An ascendant Nagash creates a distinct new Life-vs-Death axis of conflict, one that offers exciting new possibilities for shifting alliances.  Imagine the moral grey zone of battles between Nagash and Chaos.  Imagine Alarielle, Nagash, and Nurgle in an ever shifting triangular conflict, one that sees unlikely allies of any of the two whenever the third grows too strong.  Imagine the rise of a new force shifting the balance of power, causing sidelined subfactions like skaven or elves to come to the fore.

A VICTORY FOR NAGASH IN DREAD SOLSTICE IS A VICTORY FOR AGE OF SIGMAR AS A WHOLE,

both as a game worth playing and as a complex narrative worth investing in.

=============================================

Having made my case in support of Nagash, I now encourage you all to, once again, VOTE SKULL

Decision-Skull-2-centered.png

THE DEAD, AND THEIR SECRETS, BELONG TO NAGASH.

This week you should fight to save all the souls you can from this soul-thieving usurper moon, that they and their secrets may find their way home to Nagashizzar.

Right I am going to try and be neutral for the moment and give my thoughts. I think the other two options(drake and eye) are red herrings for order players. In reaction they think skull is the worst option(due to the first week)  BUT if you think in context of the malign portent supplement skull would give you the information you need to stop nagash. Eye and Drake you are either ignoring or exploiting the situation.

Focus on using the portents to find out what Nagash is doing. So go skull, since I think Death has no stake this week. 

As someone amply put on reddit for the first week.  

Prophets: "Hey guys, don't kill the messenger."

AoS community: kills messengers

Going over the week one outcome again I picked up this line. 

Edit:Destruction players should vote skull also since they actually want to keep the moon there in place. 

"Those who pay homage to this new moon by screaming secrets into the night are granted a measure of its power. Some, the subterranean races of the greenskins amongst them, seek to draw it down to loom over the Mortal Realms for good"

Which option will give you the knowledge to do that? Skuuuuuuuuuuuulll!

The skull seems to be an outcome that will favour death again. Nagash has been very keen to learn the secrets of the stormcast reforging. This would seem to be a perfect opportunity. The eye would then be a good choice for Sigmar and especially Morathi. They have some pretty big secrets that they don't want getting out.

The drake looks like a choice that would suit chaos and Destruction. Any excuse for a fight!

16 minutes ago, Chikout said:

The skull seems to be an outcome that will favour death again. Nagash has been very keen to learn the secrets of the stormcast reforging. This would seem to be a perfect opportunity. The eye would then be a good choice for Sigmar and especially Morathi. They have some pretty big secrets that they don't want getting out.

The drake looks like a choice that would suit chaos and Destruction. Any excuse for a fight!

Nah the main objective for nagash is his great work not the secrets of the reforging. Look at what got us the win last week as per the malign portents he wants to keep everything on the down low. Destruction players should be knocking their heads on how to keep that moon in the sky. The last week summary outright tells you this. 

4 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

What really is interesting is how Chaos and Archaon, in particular, have not noticed all that is going on? Archaon crushed Nagash two times before and conquered much of Shyish. And he has not known the construction of the great pyramid and all that stuff? 

I got the impression from malign portents that this has been going on since Nagash was awoken. 

9 minutes ago, xking said:

Really? I see the skull as the other way around...this time. Good chance for Sigmar to learn some answers to things he's been looking for.

That's why I like these choices. They are open to interpretation. For me there has been a long thread throughout the age of sigmar that Nagash is especially angry with those who are keeping souls away from him. 

I think his great work will probably be a way to try and draw all souls to him. Learning how to subvert the reforging and to stop the Aelves from taking their souls would be an obvious step towards his ultimate goal.

Also the upcoming book from Josh Reynolds is called Soul Wars! Can't wait to read that one!

22 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

I got the impression from malign portents that this has been going on since Nagash was awoken. 

Very likely. But then, how Archaon has not found this out? He owns most of the Realms, their true and only king... and his spies have not broken him the news of old skeleton ****** constructing immense pyramids behind his back? 

24 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

Very likely. But then, how Archaon has not found this out? He owns most of the Realms, their true and only king... and his spies have not broken him the news of old skeleton ****** constructing immense pyramids behind his back? 

Perhaps it is the old case of "Oh no, I didn't figure out that Nagash was building huge pyramids right beneath our noses before it had already begun, and if I tell Archaon now, he will surely kill me. So.. As long as someone else tells him first..!" - And then nobody tells him at all. 

5 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

What really is interesting is how Chaos and Archaon, in particular, have not noticed all that is going on? Archaon crushed Nagash two times before and conquered much of Shyish. And he has not known the construction of the great pyramid and all that stuff? 

Well the Chaos gods have certainly noticed. It's just that for whatever reason they've chosen to favour the Darkoath Warqueen as their champion for this assault rather than go to Archaon.

20 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Perhaps it is the old case of "Oh no, I didn't figure out that Nagash was building huge pyramids right beneath our noses before it had already begun, and if I tell Archaon now, he will surely kill me. So.. As long as someone else tells him first..!" - And then nobody tells him at all. 

It seems so, yes. Maybe they grew so complacent they really have not noticed all that disco Nagash was dancing. Weird, but funny at the same time.

14 minutes ago, Inqy said:

Well the Chaos gods have certainly noticed. It's just that for whatever reason they've chosen to favour the Darkoath Warqueen as their champion for this assault rather than go to Archaon.

Well, apparently the Grand Marschall of the Apocalypse has much more important things to do since he is a very busy man... and yes, all five Chaos gods have noticed something is wrong... when something has already begun and well in progress. Which is also funny - Nagash has sent all of them the same hallucinations about him owning all and everything. His power must have increased much since his last defeat.

35 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Considering the week one choice I can see this happening. 

6 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

Archaon beat him once. While Nagash was weakened.

1 hour ago, Menkeroth said:

I assume he knows the Makar Bloodsky the named Warqueen is part of his army. 

Also he does not own most of the Realms. He owns All Points and that is it. Chaos mainly Tzeentch Forces are the major force of the Realm of Metal and that is it. Tzeentch is also currently in a Stalemate in the Hyish with Tyrion. Malekith and Morathi have total control of Ulgu and Malekith has been stated to have killed anyone that enters his realm. Ghyran and Aqyish are largely under the Control of Alarielle and Sigmar respectfully. With only the remnants of the Nurgle and Khorne forces that used to own it there.  Shyish has almost been entirely taken back by Nagash. Ghur is pretty much entirely under the control of the forces of Destruction. 

47 minutes ago, Envyus said:

Archaon beat him once. While Nagash was weakened.

2 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

Twice, starting with his first death at the beginning of the Age of Chaos and fall of Nagashizzar. And then in the battle of Bone Cage. With the same result.

47 minutes ago, Envyus said:

Also he does not own most of the Realms. He owns All Points and that is it.

But he does. And with Eigthpoints he controls everything, actually. 

The Harbingers are getting permanent updates due to this campaign, that explains why they are a little lacklustre at the moment. I was chatting on Twitter last night wondering how these changes will be communicated to the players. Updating the app isn’t the style that GW really follows and so it is my opinion that we are going to get four new Battletomes based on the Harbingers factions. Three of the four have been rumored already but knowing the lead time for GW I don’t think we will see these before the end of the year. The Stormcast will be opening a new chamber and from that they will get warmachines. Moonclan have been rumored since the GHB17 and the recent slip up on the community page reinforces this one. Also an ex-employee has hinted at wraiths being the next theme for an undead faction. 

It looks like we will really be making tangible changes with this campaign, unlike the token efforts of the last one and absolute shambles that the previous Storm of Chaos and Albion campaigns were.

It's really interesting how GW is running this campaign, turning a Choose Your Own Adventure structure into a subtle motivation-based series of choices that apply to all Factions. The hidden buffs only add to suspense regarding each weekly revelation, and I'd expect that regardless of the outcome of various choices, ultimately Nagash's plan will be revealed. But what shape will the Realms be in when that occurs? Ah, that is the real question.

Archived