Dread Solstice Dilemma - Which Outcome & Why?

7 hours ago, Turgol said:

Well, that part of the fluff was not in the "cannon book", namely ET: Archaon, only in Lord of the End Times.  I guess they could make use of it if they wanted to bring Ulric back (which would be cool). But then, it wouldn't make much of a difference if Ulric died after Martak's (cannon) or Volker's (BL) death. We have seen this trend with the elven gods: they supposedly died when each of their avatars got killed (Mathlann = Aislinn; Khaine = Tyrion; Kurnous = Orion) or were just spend when their avatars nearly died (Alarielle = Isha; Malekith = Asuryan). They are now brought back as maybe non-dead gods with DoK and Idoneth and small retcons to how they died. So if Ulric came back, I am sure it would be something like that: did he die? 

Pretty much, yeah. I mean, would Ulric even remember the specifics? Would he be the original Ulric, or just something similar - a god of harsh winters, wolves and war, with no memory of Middenheim. No need to explain anything, that way.  

He'd be a small god, at first, a fragment of memory, growing in the wild north of Azyr, until he achieves apotheosis...feeding on the warlike nature and simmering resentments of Azyr's ancient tribes...and then, suddenly, Sigmar has to deal with a rival on his doorstep.

I might have to write that down.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Personal fluff below)

My current fluff in progress for Ulric is that what remained of him got caged in a aged and decrepid old man in Nagashes prisons with wards carved into its very bones, essentially the cage of a mortal shell to hold the last vestiges of a god. Through centuries of repeated torture and abuse nagash tried repeatidly to break his will though for what purposes nobody will ever truly know, the petulant and defiant nature of the caged god kept him alive but the abuse has taken a tolld on his psyche and temperament. With the prison break his chains broke but the vessel he was in lacked the strength to escape, when a stormcast came to rescue him thinking him just a broken old man the God recognised the vessel as something that could potentially hold him. So he's current existing blended with the soul of a Stormcast lord celestant to regain strength and get the lay of the land, but only time will tell what happens when that soul goes through Sigmars forge in its comprimised state.

6 hours ago, JReynolds said:

Pretty much, yeah. I mean, would Ulric even remember the specifics? Would he be the original Ulric, or just something similar - a god of harsh winters, wolves and war, with no memory of Middenheim. No need to explain anything, that way.  

He'd be a small god, at first, a fragment of memory, growing in the wild north of Azyr, until he achieves apotheosis...feeding on the warlike nature and simmering resentments of Azyr's ancient tribes...and then, suddenly, Sigmar has to deal with a rival on his doorstep.

I might have to write that down.

Well, that does sound awesome. 

On 29/03/2018 at 10:13 PM, Captain Marius said:

How does this get turned into myth, the books were only 3 years ago! Teclis stole Ulrics essence to ressurect Tyrion as the Incarnate of Hysh. His last vestiges inhabited the Grand Theogonist for about five minutes before Archaon killed him!

Most people can't remember the colour of the socks they put on this morning, let alone a set of books released 3 years ago xD

On 30.3.2018 at 12:49 AM, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

it really undermines the concept of death, and nagash, if characters that were long dead and blown up can come back... at this point.

I understand at the start of AoS needing to keep a few. But at this point it seems lazy. I really hope they can move on from what was (which was the point of AoS) and introduce new characters.

on a side note its entirely possible that Alcadizaar could be re born

I`m totally with you there. At first I thought it was a bit sad to kill off so many of the old characters, but meanwhile I`d prefer to have something new and fresh. Let the dead ones be buried and make way for new glory.

On 30.3.2018 at 5:00 AM, AthlorianStoners said:

Could be a way to bring tomb kings back as a group of dead/undead who nagash had locked away. Use some parts of the range, the more modern ones. 

That'd make me sooo happy. The Necrosphinx with its size and bling fits perfectly into the AoS aesthetic and you could several entries out of that kit, one for each face and the howdah cat might make two options, I dunno.  Add a big Scorpion King character and plastic scorpion and undead giant that builds versions for other undead factions, too.

And a new barbarian god of winter with lots of human followers showing up would be awesome. I've got a small group of Khornites kicking around that worships a wolf deity (as in WHFB many tribes had Demon Princes and varied aspects of the gods for local worship) and seeks justice as well as spiritual guidance and strength via martial disciplin. Basically warrior monks feeding Khorne by "accident", going to war to punish armed cowards, like blood hounds used to tirelessly hunt down traitors, defectors and cowards.

PS: I won't do the ovious thing and put knights on thunderwolves to use as Demigryph allies to Vanguard Hunter SC for a small Ulroc warband, though...or will I?!

Archived