Dread Solstice Dilemma - Which Outcome & Why?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, xking said:

No one is going into the oubliette, we just going to break it open and  free our people.    The the sacking of Nagashizzar by all the forces of the living is not in LoN.

No, merely approaching Nagashizzar when you aren't undead and crumbling to corpse dust is in LoN however...   As long as the death magic is still flowing strongly, the living can't even get into Nagashizzar. The only time it was ever sacked, was pretty much after Nagash's power was broken by Archaon and it were the daemons who proved able to withstand the death magic there. 

Nagashizzar.JPG.76ec56a72342e47aee84e03f9f0b582a.JPG

Moreover, it seems like Nagash, our lord and saviour,  has had a reaaaaaally good power nap since then... ;) 

Also, judging by the latest short story, it looks like Nagash is capable of reclaiming his rightful property. Stormcast souls can be locked away behind padlocks, so  I'm really curious to see what GW will make of the outcome of this week's events. 

I can see where all of these have both a good and a bad option:

Drake: We Win, or We Lose. Simple as that

Eye: We betray our enemies who are now turned on us, or our enemies die and we escape to fight again.

Skull: Nagash kills us, or we help him take on some “greater” threat he was really fighting.

Any good or bad outcome can literally happen regardless of what path we walk.

30 minutes ago, xking said:

Your magic will be nullified, All of the other three grand alliances are against you.  The legions of the living will destroy you, Alarielle,  Morathi and the Celestant-Prime. legions bloodthirsters and other daemons And even the Seraphon assault you. Nagashizzar will fall. 

Lol...looking at the results, I don't think all the other three alliances are rallying behind you. I believe certain factions have made up their mind and preparing for the backstab.

You should really shore up your forces and think about who is your real enemy here. If you are order, you are contesting chaos on 8 realms. Would you not want Death as your ally, and let us claim our own realm as Sigmar had with Azyr? We can speak about fighting later.

Now I personally haven't been able to participate do to college but I'm liking the way GW have been doing this campaign. But I have a question for the death players, have any of you been working against Nagash? I ask because no matter what GorkaMorka say my Ogors probably wouldn't be following some drug addled grot unless the biggest bounty of food was offered.

55 minutes ago, The Door Master said:

Now I personally haven't been able to participate do to college but I'm liking the way GW have been doing this campaign. But I have a question for the death players, have any of you been working against Nagash? I ask because no matter what GorkaMorka say my Ogors probably wouldn't be following some drug addled grot unless the biggest bounty of food was offered.

I never like Nagash. Hated him throughout all of his history. Hated little Mannderp, too.

That aside, I wouldn’t say I am following him, but rather there are some common goals. Death is extremely lacking (similar to Destruction) and if we can carve out a piece of our own realm like Sigmar and his people, then we would be happy. 

As for Orruks and Ogors, while I see that this presents a great Waaagh! to be fighting in. I also know that your kin would be willing to “work together”, as the greatest amongst you once did, with a promise of even greater Waaaaagh. Who knows, you are lacking that artifact that you have one last chance to get for your grots and working with us might get you there!

To the glory of even GREATER WAAAAAAGHHHHH???

1 hour ago, Soulsmith said:

Ain't Destruction, ain't happening.

The search for ever greater Waaaaagh ain’t in the mandate of destruction? Well tickle me funny...

That said, it would appear most of the folks that vote don’t frequent these boards. That or they have stayed skavenly quiet...

4 minutes ago, Keldrek said:

The search for ever greater Waaaaagh ain’t in the mandate of destruction? Well tickle me funny...

That said, it would appear most of the folks that vote don’t frequent these boards. That or they have stayed skavenly quiet...

Nagash is too tricksy, and therefore deserves smashing.

21 minutes ago, Keldrek said:

Majority of people who do a said hobby or medium don't normally frequent forums actually they are more likely to look at facebook. 

27 minutes ago, xking said:

To be honest, I never thought this campaign would stop Nagash(there would be no story then). But after what happened with week one. I did not want Nagash to have a total victory.  I like this ending, who knows what will come of it. I hope to be surprised.

Building on that, what's to stop Nagash or one of his minions hunting down these escaped heroes and drag them back to Shyish? Could you imagine a short story or novel about a Death Bounty Hunter whose job it is to reclaim these souls? That would be pretty sweet

Really liking the campaign summary.  The cynic part of me does wonder how much variety there would have been for the end outcome, but that aside, it's been the most thematic campaign GW have run to date and not tying the choices to specific armies/allegiances has been a really good move.

Or the great work would never have been completed come the end of Dread Solstice. And that means it can still fail.

As I suspected, the campaign summary makes note that the great work still needs some more time and Dread Solstice went about as smoothly as it could have for the great work doing much to speed it up and even though ending with a minor triumph for the forces arrayed against Death, with one that does nothing to directly affect Nagashes plot.

That said, even at the start of Dread Solstice the great work was so far along that completely shutting it down was never really an option, it had already begunn affecting the Realms in to major a way.

However, I do not think that the question wether the great work succeeds or not was ever to be considered the point to Dread Solstice, but rather how the events around the plots discovery and the reaction of everyone else play out and affect the Mortal Realms.

In this, to me, the campaign looks like a smashing success, as it seems to have played out in a way the organizers did not expect without smashing the setting.

I know not everyone feels the same way, but I get the impression that we would have gotten entirely different events and options had the votes gone another way, which playes a large part in the good feel I take away from this (it playing out so much in Deaths favor contributes for me as well).

All in all, I really like how this all has played out and handled. And most certainly this is a far call of the simple and highly predictable allegiance vs. allegiance format used in Seasons of War and Fate of Konor. I suspect even most of those not satisfied with this campaign would still agree that it was a step forward.

Archived