To round or not to round

My Moonclan turned out the same way as those witch elves - since I used white glue for the basing material it all sort of peeled off the plastic in one big piece.  Sadly, my dwarfs did not work out as neatly since I used superglue for the sand.  :P

6 hours ago, Dez said:

...tempted to rebase my Skaven now...

Skaven look great on rounds. I'll take some pics of mine when I get the chance and post them here.

The armies that seem to benefit most from rounds are the more chaotic races. The ones that always struggled to rank up properly.

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Then just needed to fill up with some sand and give the base a quick paint.  Job done and witches ready to smash some face!

Nice work! :) Got any pics of the finished product, did it all blend together well enough?

@daedalus81 thanks for the compliment but I did nick the idea off someone on Twitter! I love the witches and I agree that they look much better on rounds. The models in skirmish make the unit look more chaotic and unhinged I think.

@Tommy I haven't photographed the finished unit yet but it was really easy to blend the sand onto the previous base.  I added some greenstuff rocks on the ones where the edges were more visible and then flocked the lot.  Covered everything fine.

I'll take some photos on Sunday and post them.

Round all the way. Sharp edges are distracting to the eye. The round base allows the eye to focus on the lines of the model itself more.

Beastmen especially look miles better on round bases.

On 07/07/2016 at 9:40 PM, Jimbo said:

Rebasing is a pain but well worth it. Can get mdf bases from sarrisa precision; cheap and look good.

Slight tangent, but I'm so glad I saw this - I remember seeing all the scenery stuff on their website ages ago and couldn't remember what they were called, now I can order a load of cheap terrain to make the tabletop look better :D 

I've always prefered round bases for stability on a typical battlefield, keeping square bases for my RPG miniatures where they'll typically be used on a grid.

That said, I would like to see them try "formation bonuses" for particular units, perhaps with corresponding MDF trays, so that they can rank up a certain way and gain a bonus, things like flying wedges and squares.

Sorry chaps, this is a bit later than I planned.  Anyway, some photos of a few of the witches and the CoB. I will be putting some more grassy tufts on the bases eventually but I've had a slight case of buying some sylvaneth so working on those at the moment ?

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Hmm, that second image isn't showing on my iPhone. For some reason. Here it is again in case it's not just me.

image.jpeg

Thanks @Tommy, I'm really pleased how they turned out. Have rebased all the executioners, brolocks, dark riders, sorceress, darkshards, chariots, dreadlord on dragon, medusae and Malekith.  Haven't done the Kbeast, Hydra or Merwyrm as I've set them in clear resin as they're coming out of the water and I can't turn that from square to round. New monsters at some point methinks! 

8 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Haven't done the Kbeast, Hydra or Merwyrm as I've set them in clear resin as they're coming out of the water and I can't turn that from square to round. New monsters at some point methinks! 

I don't think I have a picture anywhere, but in the past I have created squares bases to sit rounds in so I could use my daemons in 40k and fantasy (obviously in reverse for this). I know the base size would be obnoxious on something quite big, but would atleast save you the cash on new monsters.

Archived