Matched Play 1000 pts shooty army

YoungOlo

Hi guys,

Now we've got the Matched Play rules available, I wanted to try something different to my Khorne combat-oriented army and decided to try a shooty army. So I sat down and tried to figure out how to make it work. To my surprise, I've found shooting could be extremely devastating! The list below is my best shot (get it? ;-) ) at such an army:

1000 pts Order army:
Battlemage of Jade order (Tenacious, Phoenix Stone) [Leader] 100 pts
5 Judicators (4 with Skybolt Bows, Prime with Shockbolt Bow) [Battleline] 160 pts
5 Judicators (4 with Skybolt Bows, Prime with Shockbolt Bow) [Battleline] 160 pts
3 Kurnoth Hunters (with Kurnoth Greatbows) 180 pts
1 Gryph-hound 40 pts
TOTAL: 1000 pts

The idea is simple. Everything in the army (apart from mage and hound) shoots 24" (Judicators) or 30" (Kurnoth Hunters). Concentrated fire from all of them causes about 21 damage per turn to units with Save 6+, about 17 damage to units with Sv 5+, about 13 damage to units with Sv 4+ and about 10 damage to units with Sv 3+.

Mage is there to heal D3 wounds/turn to Kurnoth/Judicators or cast Mystic Shield/Arcane Bolt if there is no-one to heal. He's given Tenacious command trait for +1 Wound and Phoenix Stone artefact to heal 1 Wound/turn (both to keep him alive for longer).

Finally, the Gryph-hound is there in case of units summoning/teleporting in.

As for the weaknesses, the army is fairly slow (5", no running really) and fairly weak in combat. But I see it being played as "slow but purposefull" advance: 5" towards objectives, fire, repeat.

What do you think? Could that work?

I think as an army on it's own, it might struggle with anything to do with capturing objectives but as part of a larger army it could work very well. On paper should do well against anything teleporting but could struggle against anything that which deploys outside of that (only think that springs to mind is the Wanderers Battalion but mainly because of the way it can attack than deployment).

Thanks for your comment, Gaz!
The actual wording for Gryph-hound is:

"Warning Cry: It is said it is impossible to sneak up on a Gryph-hound. If an enemy unit is set-up within 10" of this unit, roll two dice. Any unit within that many inches of the Gryph-hounds is alerted to the enemy unit's presence and can attack it with one of its weapons as though it were your shooting phase."

So I believe it should work for any kind of deep-striking, summoning and deployment as well?

38 minutes ago, YoungOlo said:

Thanks for your comment, Gaz!
The actual wording for Gryph-hound is:

So I believe it should work for any kind of deep-striking, summoning and deployment as well?

That's how it's generally played. Teleporting, tunneling, ambush etc

It should and I can't think of anything which by passes it. But as mentioned I think the Wanderers Battalion would be a counter to this list (deploys off board and then moves on any table edge and can shoot things to death using some abilities. Very Glass Cannon though and not that great). I think Stormcast Prosecutors would be interesting as they could Deep Strike outside of 10", shoot and then charge

19 hours ago, RossMHoward said:

I've tried using Gryph Hounds to proc the react-fire ability and it's only really worked when I've had 5 or more. One is too easy to ignore unfortunately

12 hours ago, YoungOlo said:

Not sure I follow you, Ross. If I put my Gryph-hound in between my shooting units, how can my opponent ignore it if he wants to teleport his unit close to my shooters? Am I missing something here?

I suspect it's all down to positioning. The way I see Gryph-hounds is to protect the stuff you don't want Alpha Striked which is usually a key unit that your cunning plan is based around. In the case of this shooting force, it would be the Wizard and a couple of key shooting units as I don't think you can cover everything to take advantage of it. I can see why having two Gryph-hounds would be good (especially if you have the spare points) but I think any more is overkill

Through a couple together for a cheeky scoring unit though. ;) Great for table quarters scenarios

I find with most Order lists I have a couple of pools in change out of 100 so I tend to toss them in as a unit if I can't invest enough to cover my gunline units. 

Archived