Renown or Ruin RPG Campaign Expansion for AOS:Skirmish

StoneMonk

I started creating this because my gaming group wanted to explore the Realm Master idea from the Hinterlands expansion from @bottle (Thank you dude!). The only reason I formalized it into a shareable ruleset, is because my gaming group doesn't want to play anything else but this (and a bit of shadespire). If it's good enough to get 5 busy dads to set aside a late late night every month for the last 8 months, then I hope it's good enough for you. Thank you to @Pjschard@Red_Zeke, Aaron and Kenny for the many fun hours of rolling dice. This is from us to you!

Renown Or Ruin RPG Campaign Expansion Download

Four heroes take their first step towards their own legends, each shadowed by a small group of followers. Together they journey into the spired city to unlock the challenges and riches that have been entombed within. It's not gold they seek, but Relics and Artefacts of old, but even those are a means towards something greater. Even great battles will suffice in transforming them from just another fighter in armies of their homelands into great leaders whose names resonate throughout the Mortal Realms. The only path suitable to reach great Renown crosses over the pit to terrible Ruin.

Renown or Ruin is run by a Realm Master (RM) who leads 1-4 players and their warbands through a setting using battleplans and roleplay, to weave stories of legend. Shape their world and challenge them to overcome Battleplan Objectives, find Relics and Artefacts, take on Quests, and make decisions faithful to the character of their Hero. Between excursions into the city of Shadespire, give them places of Respite where their followers drink, eat, share stories about the Heroes they follow, and their legend grows. When a Hero grows in Renown, more people seek to follow them. But fail in the objectives and quests you've set before them, and their followers lose faith and find someone else to believe in. 

Features:

• Warbands increase and decrease in Renown which allows the Hero to gain and lose followers.
  • Explore a city full of ruins through simple skirmish battleplans that are instantly more fun with 3-5 people around the table.
  • A Simple Relic hunting mechanic that gives warbands a choice to aid their party or seek treasure for themselves.
  • Heroes and followers can wield relics and artefacts to give them buffs and abilities. 
  • Use a Warband Journal to track your player's journey of Renown
  • 6 steps to getting your first game started without any fear!
  • Dusk Plains Skirmish Battleplan for your first night.
  • Master Relic Hunter Skirmish Battleplan for interesting plot hooks.
  • Grim Exchange Respite sheet to serve as your party's first base camp.
  • 8 Sessions, 24 hours of playtesting by 5 devoted gamers with half decent intelligence.

There are so many interesting and cool expansions available for playing Skirmish in more rich and interesting ways. Renown and Ruin brings something a little bit different that I hope is worth you trying out with your gaming group. We've had a good amount of time to play and think about improving this. We need your help to make it better!

I'm excited to dive into this.  I'm planning a campaign with my wife (Stormcast), 16 year old niece (Aelves), and 13 year old nephew (Blades of Khorne).  We play a lot of D&D and we like narrative campaigns and  RPG elements in our games.  We've already been playing AoS Skirmish and having a lot of fun.  This looks like it will provide what we're looking for.  Thank you.

So, this is great and awesome.!The layout is ace, the border art is super cool, and all the drawing/sketches are great.

Gave it a quick read through and I had a couple of questions and some feedback.

Page 4:  Renown level. I'm not sure what this refers to? What are hexes? Does a warbands renown level mean how many relics they can have or that is how many they find when they search a piece of terrain?

On my first read through of this page I got a little confused on which things gave a warband renown and which didn't because Objectives and Relics were under Renown but then it went through places of respite and recruitment before getting to Quests

Page 6: What is a warband rating for an NPC warband? Is that how much renown would be used to "play" them in a battle?

Is the opposing warband anything the RM wants it to be or one of the ones from the Place of Respite on the earlier page?

6 hours ago, Thundercake said:

So, this is great and awesome.!The layout is ace, the border art is super cool, and all the drawing/sketches are great.

Thanks man. I'm glad you dig the layout and design and it was worth a bit more effort for 1.0 release.

Page 4:  Renown level. I'm not sure what this refers to? What are hexes? Does a warbands renown level mean how many relics they can have or that is how many they find when they search a piece of terrain?

On my first read through of this page I got a little confused on which things gave a warband renown and which didn't because Objectives and Relics were under Renown but then it went through places of respite and recruitment before getting to Quests

Renown level is the least fleshed out as my players are just getting their warbands close to 50 renown. This is referring to the overall amount of renown a hero has gained and at 50 renown they gain some additional benefits.

Hexes - This has to do with the map add-on that i'm working on next. I use hexes but it could be other measurements of distance using a campaign map from one of the books. It'll affect how far their renown reaches from their basecamp. I don't have mechanics yet for how this affects them, but as a RM if they become more widely known it will influence how opposing factions (NPC factions) may respond either in deference or aggression. 

Relics - Heroes start off able to carry 2 Relics while followers can carry 1. At 50 Renown a hero can carry 3 Relics.

Quests - I could see Quests being moved over to the Renown heading. I put them in Roleplay as they are up to the RM to come up with and spawn from NPCs and the like. But that could easily fit in the Renown Section.

Page 6: What is a warband rating for an NPC warband? Is that how much renown would be used to "play" them in a battle?

Is the opposing warband anything the RM wants it to be or one of the ones from the Place of Respite on the earlier page?

Warband Rating - a Player's warband rating is the renown value of the hero + followers + relics the player is fielding. They may have 40 Renown, but until they get to a place of respite they cannot recruit, so they're only fielding a warband with a rating of 35.

NPC Warbands - for battleplans I try and bring an opposing force equal to the sum of my player's combined warband rating. There are so many variables in skirmish that I don't get too caught up on balance but take what's fun to play and narrative for my story. So yes the NPC warbands can be whatever the RM desires. 

Respite Warbands - When crafting the Grim Exchange, I wanted to set up some warbands to tell some of the story of that area. You can see by the warband rating how much strength the stormcast have there. This could be repeated for any section of a map, or any number of locations. Moving forward any actual battleplan or respite sheet will be suggestions for the RM, but as you'd expect, they're free to change as they need.

I appreciate hte questions @Thundercake I hope i was able to answer them. It's certainly giving me some more ideas for the first FAQ :)

I like it. Amazing artwork!

Some players are not willing to go through the whole document. So I feel it's mostly for the RM

I'd also like to see an additional cheat sheet page which can be used as a single page handout for players.
It could cover:

How to get renown, what renown is good for.

How to get warband rating, and what it's good for.

How to find relics. What are relics are good for.

And the example how an excel record could look like.

44 minutes ago, AmurayiWestgate said:

Some players are not willing to go through the whole document. So I feel it's mostly for the RM

I'd also like to see an additional cheat sheet page which can be used as a single page handout for players. It could cover:

How to get renown, what renown is good for. How to get warband rating, and what it's good for. How to find relics. What are relics are good for.

And the example how an excel record could look like.

Thanks for the feedback Amurayi! I'm glad you like the artwork. Before I respond in detail, I am planning on creating videos for all aspects of this document which may be easier to send to players to get them up to speed.

Yes, this document is first and foremost for the RM. The RM has a lot of responsibility so I definitely wanted this document to speak to the them first and foremost. I tried to keep it pretty short and to the point, that said, I never asked my players to read any of this, I just introduced it little by little through our games.

There is a cheat sheet with all of the current dice tables on Page 4. It shares all the ways to get renown, the mechanics for finding relics and what you can do with the relics. It also provides some Roleplay encouragement. Again, this is intended for the RM so they can instruct the players what they need to do and when. Take a look at this again and read from a player PoV...would printing out just this page for players help them out? 

The excel sheet I use looks identical to the Warband Journal on the last two pages. Just 4 columns. The only difference would be that the left two columns would each have a sum formula at the bottom. I did not think that would be helpful as a written instruction, but I am planning on sharing my google spreadsheet layout and use in an upcoming video.

• 2 weeks later...

Expanding Expansions for the Expansion!
I have 2 ideas for the next couple Renown or Ruin pages. One is about using maps (how to navigate space), the other is about politics (how groups react to each other in that space). I put up a poll on twitter thinking it would help me focus on one over the other...but it came out a dead tie. Thought i'd put the question to you lot and see if this community had any interests. Happy to explain more if you have questions. Or if you have other ideas for pushing RoR further, i'm all ears.

You can respond here, which i'll be more likely to hear. And you can vote on the poll i posted to the Skirmish Facebook Page.

• 1 month later...

Archived