Suggestions on Nurgle Army Composition

FullMetalRPG

No. I just find Verminus armies way stronger (which I do play). Skaven have a bunch of better options (Eshin, Stormfiends, Jezzails, Stormvermin). The Pestilens combos and synergies are merely ok and the troops per se are poor.

They weren't many at SCGT, possibly no pure Pestilens lists.

The special Pestilens toys like the Plague Furnace just don't cut it. The Screaming Bell is also weak incidentally (cf. a Celestial Hurrucanum, which is brilliant or even a Warshrine for WoC).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

@James McPherson @Goodwin Thanks for responding guys! Sorry I haven't been around! I have been on a couple of times, but I haven't seen notifications that you guys were posting.

When you run Blight Kings, how deep do you run each Warscroll?

Also when you are talking about a Harbinger of Rot, do you mean the Harbinger of Decay?

Thanks guys for all your help!

I ran a Blightguard formation of 3 units of 7 and they were pretty bad ass.

Keeping them near eachother so their Ability has a chance of healing eachother is nice.

I've not ran them with points yet.  In that case it'd be 5 or 10, and I don't have that many bodies yet for 3x10!

3x7 doesnt work for points. its so expensive. for chaos warriors or blightkings it costs 1080 points for 21 guys.  or you could spend 720 points on 4 units of 5.

this is a list im playing with tomorrow.

Blightkings 2x5  + 1x10

Bloab rotspawned

Chaos Kinghts 1 x 10

Harbringer of decay ( general )

Gorebeast chariot of Nurgle 1 x 2 

Chaos sorcerer lord of Nurgle 1 

the generals trait " great destroyer " is by far the most useful. So whenever i pick a unit to attack i roll a d6. on a 5+ its plus 1 to hit. so blightkings have a 5+ to do d6 wound rolls, and hit on a 2+ 

6 hours ago, FullMetalRPG said:

@Arkiham You like the Chaos Knights x 10? Do you find that you are consistently able to get them all into combat, or do you take ten in order to be able to sustain casualties from shooting as you are closing in? Also, why Bloab as opposed to one of the other behemoth models?

Going up against some iron jaws soon an I'm expecting them to have quite a large frontage. 

Otherwise I don't think there's anywhere that tells us we have to say what the unit deployment is, so I'll Leave the knights am gorebeast till later on an then decide if the knights are 1x10 or 2x5 and swap the gorebeast chariot to 2x1 or 1x2

Well. It got absolutely rolled over. An I've no idea how to prevent it, I took a different list to that but similar to an extent.

It wasn't against the iron jaws but undead, I threw over 1000 points (600 knights, 300 manticore great destroyer buff  chaos sorcerer lord spell and daemonic lord buff)  in to 15 black knights (360 points an banner so 480 ) and still took 3 battle rounds to kill them. The 5+ army wide ward and 6+ death save with over 10 bravery.

It is so incredibly strong in top of regaining units. 

I'm probably just annoyed currently but I seriously fail to see how that's fair.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been looking at a lot of chaos lists recently as i have so much and not really using them in AoS! Been a good read so far.

Ive looked at lists based around Archaon, and this thread has given me some entertainment for lunch by looking at the Rotbringers Army and maybe including Archaon. 

Have many people played pure Rotbringers using the battleline rules yet? Think the Rotbringers could be quite good with 3-4 units of blightkings and then characters for buffs/killing power on top. Ive plaayed a bit with nurgle at the beginning of AoS, But none in a while and wasnt under a restriction like Rotbringers theme. interested in peoples experience and knowledge so far.

3 hours ago, ChippyRick said:

Ive looked at lists based around Archaon, and this thread has given me some entertainment for lunch by looking at the Rotbringers Army and maybe including Archaon. 

Have many people played pure Rotbringers using the battleline rules yet? Think the Rotbringers could be quite good with 3-4 units of blightkings and then characters for buffs/killing power on top. Ive plaayed a bit with nurgle at the beginning of AoS, But none in a while and wasnt under a restriction like Rotbringers theme. interested in peoples experience and knowledge so far.

@ChippyRickI've been using Nurgle Mortals but haven't has the funds to step up into that sweet but expensive Blightkings world quite yet. I'll tell you what i imagine most Nurgle players will tell you: these lists have trouble hitting hard. Especially in the context of like Sylvaneth out there, where you feel like they hit like Mac trucks, shoot, make saves and have all kinds of silly board control. Plus Rotbringers without the support of monsters with named riders have nothing in the shooting phase. It's not the sexiest list to play right now, but as a Nurgle hobby enthusiast I can't turn away.

I used Nurgle at my first tournament. I'd echo the point about Nurgle not hitting hard - all you can do is try and weather the storm and sit on objectives. They don't have anything great for clearing the enemy off objectives. If you found Sylvaneth hit hard, there are far worse things out there - Sylvaneth don't have any serious combat buffs - try Bloodletter bomb and 2 Bloodsecrators, Stormfiends, Necropolis Knights with buffs or Spider Riders.

5 hours ago, ChippyRick said:

Ive been looking at a lot of chaos lists recently as i have so much and not really using them in AoS! Been a good read so far.

I've used the Blightguard formation (Lord of Plagues, Sorcerer, 4 units of Blight Kings) along with Bloab, Morbidex and 5 Chaos Knights. -1 to hit is an absolute killer, and although I've only used the allegiance ability in smaller games it completely wrecks face (along with the re-roll 1s to wound from the battalion) with the exploding 6's.

Lack of rend is a real issue, but Bloabs spell (D3 mortal wounds at the end of any phase the model takes a wound) can bring down virtually any single model with luck, and you end up grinding through hard stuff, and rinsing through delicate stuff. 

@FullMetalRPG i know that all to well, as when AoS dropped i was playing my 8th chaos army to start with. Finding rend was always the issue, but i had units that did some mortal wounds but just lacked survivability without buffs from sorcerer lord etc. I like that the Rotbringers / Blightkings are solid to start with.

@Nico What sort of lists where you running? have you tried lists since Generals Handbook as landed and the limitation of just using what is under the Rotbringers section? Its a shame you cant add Behemoths or units from Monstrous Arcanum.

@Josh Meads This is the formation i like the most, and nice that there is points already in the Generals Handbook.  Having the solid core makes a good base, and then finding rend / mortal wounds to add seems sensible.

Do you find Bloab a good choice? I like the idea of him for the mortal wounds potential, as we have already discussed its something the army has shorter supply of!

I like the idea of adding Archaon / Glottkin and one of the Maggoth Lords to gain extra abilities and also for the damage output. Also seen a cool formation in Godbeasts that gives you option of adding Plague Drones, but again these dont offer killing power as much as they do survivability. But it does give you some speed.

ATM i am just trying to decide on some hobby direction, been all over the place with all the options / releases. But i have quite a bit of chaos, including all the above so would be sensible to do something with them! but i am sure everyone knows the issues of a hobbiest and new shiny stuff!!

What sort of lists where you running? have you tried lists since Generals Handbook as landed and the limitation of just using what is under the Rotbringers section? Its a shame you cant add Behemoths or units from Monstrous Arcanum.

Glottkin, Nurgle Warriors, Nurgle Knights, Chosen Blightkings, Warshrine plus Wrathmongers. This was back under Clash Comp.

It was a solid enough force against other melee-centric armies - it tore apart Black Orcs as they then were for example. However, it doesn't have enough toughness (Glottkin is surprisingly easy to kill) without the ward saves from Daemons/Herald. The Warshrine is a really frustrating Warscroll (cf the Celestial Hurricanum).

The Nurgle list was embarrassingly poor against Kroak plus Temple Guard plus Rippers (admittedly the Rippers killed far more than their cost as they were fully broken back then) - largely due to lack of rend against the Temple Guard.

It was also dreadful against Wood Elves.

Chosen plus Glottkin buff or Orghotts buff is decent, but the fact remains that Khorne are stomping all over Nurgle with stacked Bloodsecrators, Exalted Deathbringer Command Ability and Wrathbros. Bloodletters are a far stronger offensive synergy than anything Nurgle have; and they are 100 points and battleline. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2016 at 10:33 AM, ChippyRick said:
On 8/2/2016 at 10:33 AM, ChippyRick said:

Do you find Bloab a good choice? I like the idea of him for the mortal wounds potential, as we have already discussed its something the army has shorter supply of!

I like him but his rules are really situational. The -1 on a 4+ never comes into play, and the -1 to casting within 14" is really rare as well. In smaller games hes amazing, as all these rules and the moster profile means he really good, but in bigger games hes just a glorified wizard on a monster. Certainly not an optimized choice, and Glottkin is loads better if you're heading that way.

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2016 at 11:09 AM, Swampmist said:

No, they don't actually. They get the buff from nurgle Plaguebearer heroes, AKA Heralds and Epidemius.

This was changed a long time ago when the chaos book came out, but it took a while for the app to be updated...you have to delete those warscrolls from the app and download the newer ones, it has been changed to nurgle daemon hero  now

1 hour ago, Tasman said:
  • What's a Demonspew? Sorry to appear ignorant.

Orghotts Daemonspew or w/e his name is, I presume.  Dude on a big maggoth along with Bloab Rotspawn and Morbidex Twice-born

Honestly, I am liking this thread because I sort of hear the chittering of Grandfather, it might be a second army I start... is it possible to do sort of an oldschool type of combined list with Beastmen (i.e. Pestigors, although I don't think those exist in-game anymore), Chaos Warriors (Nurgle obv), Nurgle daemons and then like Blightkings as the "elite" soldiers?  The Nurgle offerings right now seem a bit lacking, and I don't want to just like spam Blightkings, I'm thinking like a real "Nurgle Warband" type of list as a throwback to the old Lost and the Damned days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can give advice as a tournament player who plays only Nurgle.  Since the Generals Handbook we have taken a significant reduction in power since I played at SCGT.  Mainly because almost all our units went up in cost and summoning no longer being able to bring in more units at a reduced cost.  Some auto include units:

Epidemus is honestly the best character you can purchase and is always an auto include.  The +1 save and re rolling ones for your entire army is an insane buff.  Don't ever leave home without him. 

Plague Claw Catapult is a very nice to have shooting unit especially when paired with Epidemus. It is a great way to add to some extra kills to his tally.  Also, when you can reroll the ones to hit/wound it makes the PCC even more deadly.  It does at times suck for using the PCC and Epidemus if your opponent has a low model count army with high wound count.  

Great Unclean One always seems to perform better than he should.  He rarely dies in my games and can scare your opponents to overcommit to stop the big scary guy.  His plaguewind spell is also very useful to heal up units.  I also like to keep him close to my plaguebearers and plague drones to buff them. 

Plaguebearers are simply amazing in units of 30.  Always include at least one unit of them.  Many people always make the mistake of taking them in units of 20 or less and don't understand how good they can be.   I love it when they gain a 2+ save with mystic shield, Epidemus buff, and cover.  In addition to rerolling failed saves of one, having disgusting resilient and having a -1 or -2 to hit.  They just don't shift easy and just drive people crazy.  

The final guy that also use to be an auto include was the Glottkin but with the increased points for everything else he is really hard right fit.  As some have also stated he is at times vulnerable to shooting armies   However, in other games he simply crushes armies with his command ability and fleshy abundant spell.   Suddenly those plague bearer units can do decent damage and at double wounds make people cry on top of the other things I stated earlier.  It really is his command ability that makes him nasty.  I always keep him towards the back of my lines always protected.  I only selectively use him in battles i know he can win or at the decisive points in games.  

Two other units that can be great are Blightkings and Plague Drones depending on the battle is what you want.  The mortal wounds from plague drones can be great to kill heavily armored units and they are resilient.  Against units with lower saves the blightkings are ideal.  Epidemus and the Glottkin also give massive buffs to both of these units.  

I have also also found the Tallyband formation a great option and really can help keep daemon units alive. It is really helpful to keep Epidemus and the GUO alive.  

Also, I don't have a hard time against Khorne and they all seem to struggle against my Nurgle lists.   I guess my experiences differ from others on this thread.   Mainly because they lack shooting which is one of my vulnerabilities and I can usually blunt their alpha attacks.  

Just my 2 cents.

Archived