Suggestions on Nurgle Army Composition

FullMetalRPG

I am starting a GAC Nurgle army and I'd like to mix the composition between Daemons and Mortals. I have about 19 Plaguebearers, and a Great Unclean One. I have a Start Collecting Slaves to Darkness on order. I'm just wondering what direction I should be looking at going in terms of future army composition and using synergies. Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've seen a good chunk of the Nurgle synergy works better with Mortals or Daemons.  While a lot of the Mortal Command Abilities provide a bonus to Nurgle units, the Daemons of Nurgle abilities and Command Abilities all seem to play off of either Plaguebearer Heroes or Nurgle Daemons.

May not be crippling, but worth considering! 

I'm in the same boat I'm building an all Nurgle alliance . Daemons get a locus ability buff when close by to a Nurgle Daemon Hero, but the only ones in the Daemon list (ie Herald) aren't fast enough to keep up with a lot of them (ie Plague Drones & Beasts of Nurgle) so you can get around this by picking a Lord of Chaos on Demonic Mount with a Nurgle allegiance , or a Rotbringers Harbinger of Decay or using a Vermindlord Corruptor, all of whom share the Nurgle, Daemon and Hero keywords. Unlock those tasty buffs and your plague drones and beasts of Nurgle will be even more deadly. In general Nurgle stuff is slow moving and good at soaking up damage but not great at giving it out. So either play to that strength or try to take some measures to counter that.  For instance a fast moving hero with some plague drones makes a good fast reactionary unit to capture objectives with etc.

Plaguebearers get a nice buff when in large units of 30 and form a pretty unmoveable wall. Blightkings are another auto include for me as I love the models and they deal out a lot of damage when you start rolling 6's. There's a bit of a lack of killy stuff and rend, but you can include some Chaos Warriors with great weapons, or throw in a killy hero or two like a Lord of plagues or Orghotts Daemonspew.

I've been mainly playing Beastmen (Brayherd or Warherd), but my main army from 7th(ya I was Nurgle before it was cool)/8th was Nurgle warriors.  I picked up 4 boxes of Blightkings so far.

When running Nurgle Rotbringers I've been taking Torglug's Foulblessed formation (3 units of Blightkings, Lord of Plagues).  This makes the LoP heal 2 per round, I think the Blightkings reroll saves of 1 if within 7" or something and are immune to Battleshock as long as they can see him (really handy).  I also run Festus and a Nurgle Warshrine with 6 Plague Drones for some speed.

When things go well, it gives me the Protection of the Dark Gods for the Blightkings, potion goodness from Festus, both heroes heal each turn, Festus' spell lasts the entire game (-1 save), rerolling Wounds for the Blessing.  Then, each Blightking unit heals itself and other units on a 6, because of the wording, each unit rolls for itself, then nearby units, then you do the next unit (also does Mortal Wounds to non-Nurgle).

With 6's to hit causing d6 hits, they can put out a lot of attacks but with no rend its not a very hard hitting force.  I have 22 or so Plaguebearers and 6 Plague Drones for summoning back up, but don't take them as part of the main force generally.

While I do have the three Maggoth Lords and Glottkin I haven't gotten them painted yet.

@James McPherson Nice, I hadn't seen they updated that in the Grand Alliance book.  The online Warscrolls provide the Locus ability only from Plaguebearer heroes, but the GA: Chaos book has updated this to provide the Locus from Daemon Heroes of Nurgle.  The Harbinger of Decay is indeed a Daemon, Nurgle, Hero, (he's also a Mortal).  So he will give the Locus to Daemons.  However, his Command Ability is still only usable for Mortal Nurgle though.

2 minutes ago, James McPherson said:

I think you are reading the legacy warscrolls. In the Grand Alliance Chaos book it's anything with the Nurgle Daemon Hero keywords

then, why haven't they updated the app? because the warscroll apps still say Plaguebearer hero.

EDIT:...Huh. Dang, guess I'm picking up the grand alliance book then!

Its kind of peculiar, but yeah, it looks like if you want the most up to date stuff you need to buy the book?  I'm surprised the App isn't updated as I'd think that should be pretty damn up to date?  It may be a way of gently forcing you to buy the most up to date book?

Conspiracies aside though, back to Nurgle!

Torglugs Foulblessed is my fav blightking formation too for its durability. Agreed about the need for some plague drones, they are more or less an auto include. I have a similar set up, 4 boxes of Blightkings, War Shrine, all 3 Maggoth Lords Glottkin etc, all unpainted as well =) In a moment of madness I bought Tamurkhan as well as I wanted a fighty/high damage output centerpiece / behemoth and I've loved the model for years.

I also grabbed a couple boxes of warhounds to use as screeners/chaff / fast units as they are cheap points wise and can move nice and fast.

One of my favorite and fastest units is Bestigors with a great bray shaman nearby, who gives them an extra 3" to their run and charge moves, they also have a cool rule which gives them buffs against any units with a totem or banner. I bought up a load of the old Nurgle Pestigor models to fit in with my Nurgle theme, those guys have 2x attacks each, -1 rend , super fast and good saves, so I have 30 of them sat on my paint table as well, hoping they will get to smash some stuff in the face soon as well, it was either Stormvermin or them so I chose the Pestigors for their Nurgle aesthetics, I use those guys as my high damage output unit and my blightkings as my sponge to soak up damage.

Just now, polarbear said:

You might need to delete and reinstall the app. Don't use it a lot myself but I've seen people say it doesn't update on its own. I actually wouldn't recommend the grand alliance books as they go out of date pretty quickly.

I got the app a bit after the book came out iirc, so not sure why that would be the case...

@James McPherson Agree on Bestigor.  Brayherd is my main force right now.  That Furious Brayherd layers on the pain with an extra attack as well.  Bestigor have a nice save as well.  They are my go to unit for Brayherd.  I also have a good chunk of Pestigor.  Nurgle and Beastmen, my new friend! :P

Stormvermin are nasty too though, 2 attacks with that 2" range.  If you can get Gnashgnaw on their bones off for the +1 attack again, along with that +1 to hit when you outnumber the enemy.  In most cases you'll get your Clanshield bonus as well for the 4+ save.

@FullMetalRPG A Pestilens army would also be awesome, and fit your theme.  From what I see, they suffer from a similar problem that the Rotbringers do which is a lack of rend/multiple damage attacks.  However, they can get a lot of attacks and rerolls going with their Prayers and the like.  Again, some of the Mortal Command Abilities will help Nurgle units (all Pestilens), but while Nurgle Mortals will be immune to Pestilens stuff, they won't get any bonuses.

That Catapult looks nasty though!

This is all said with no consideration of the General's Handbook though.  I haven't gotten into list building with points and stuff. >.>

Actually, the Plague Monks can get a banner for -1 rend on rolls of a 6, which can help a lot if you give them +1 to wound rolls from a plague priest on foot, reroll failed wounds from a Plague Furnace, and have ways of giving them extra attacks (such as a verminlord corruptor.)

1 minute ago, Goodwin said:

I think I never remember to count a 5 as a 6 when you have +1 Wound.  Is that the way it works?  I assumed things like that were based on the actual roll, and not a bonus.

Nope, as the FAQ has defined, when something adds or subtracts from the roll it happens before you check for abilities that trigger off of a certain die roll.

14 hours ago, Swampmist said:

Actually, the Plague Monks can get a banner for -1 rend on rolls of a 6, which can help a lot if you give them +1 to wound rolls from a plague priest on foot, reroll failed wounds from a Plague Furnace, and have ways of giving them extra attacks (such as a verminlord corruptor.)

Its Bale Chimes that confer a -1 rend on rolls to wound of a 6

Icon of Pestilence causes a mortal wound inflicted back on the attacker each time a monk is slain on the roll of a 6

15 hours ago, Goodwin said:

From what I see, they suffer from a similar problem that the Rotbringers do which is a lack of rend/multiple damage attacks.

They do for sure, but they can make up for it by dishing out Mortal Wounds and whittling down units in close combat via their poisonous fumes abilities and plague censers / plague furnaces. If you use the Plaguesmog Congregation you dish out d3 mortal wounds (instead of the plague censers usual 1 mortal wound) to any units close by (think its 3") on a roll of a 2+ , and the plague furnaces dish out d6 mortal wounds if they are at full strength via the plague censer, as well as the d3 mortal wounds from poisonous fumes , so if you can get them in on the charge they will do some nice damage.

Glottkin (general)

Plague Minks 2x20

Plague Drones x3

Plague Bearers x10

Plague Claw

Plague Furnace

Daemonspew

Blightkings x5

Played this against my wife's Flash Eater Court + Nagash.

My rats ate right through Nagash dealing 10 wounds by the 2nd round and Glottkin face stompped him the 3rd round. Plague drones mopped up a ghoul king on terrorgiest after some wounds landed from my blightkings.

Plague Bearers held a vargulf and two units of crypt ghouls long enough for Daemonspew to chop them all down.

A unit of crypt horrors destroyed my drones but got a summon off and took them down with the previously slain drones.

By the 4th round all that stood was Glottkin, Daemonspew and two crypt horrors.

Probably the best game I've ever played. Sadly the list is illegal because we ignored the allegiance requirements for battleline troops.

I think we are all forgetting about poor Epidemus!

He buffs all Nurgle models, for each model slain by a Nurgle model.  This is much better then his last incarnation whom I think had a more restrictive tally?  Anyway, rerolling 1s to hit and wound and +1 save, I'm not sure if that's worthwhile bringing out?  Anything with the Nurgle keyword though should trigger this - so shoot your Plagueclaw Catapult turn 1 at a big unit and breathe in the aroma of power!  You should wrack that tally up fairly quickly with a dedicated Nurgle list - shooting, magic, abilities that cause mortal wounds and combat should all add to this.

@Mouldie good to hear Nagash got a spanking!

The Nurgle Lord on Daemonic Mountis a vital choice for Nurgle Warriors for the ward save. I'd take Old Archaon to stack up command abilities. Epidemius is good. Tamurkhan is good as a big hitter. Glottkin is good against non-gunlines.

I'd avoid Pestilens other than the Plagueclaw Catapult and the Priests for the +1 to wound debuff spell. Their armour is terrible and synergies aren't great (cf. Celestial Hurricanum plus Retributors plus Lord Celestant). Would be better if Monks were Battleline, but they're not.

Sounds good, so in your experience have you played a lot of games against/with Pestilens? Were there any at SCGT? I've only played 2 games so far and  waded in at the deep end before I knew much abut AOS and bought an army because I thought they looked cool and liked the concept!

Archived