Chosen Axes

Nightvault Starter

Mollogs Mob

Zarbags Gitz

Thundriks Profiteers

Grymwatch

Wurmspat

Rippa´s Snarlfangs

What would be your first draft for a deck out of this pool of cards?

With the sets you own, you can build good decks for sure.

In the link below, you won't find a real deck list, but all the cards are solid :

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,117,119,124,125,n299,n303,n368,b295,b306,b308,127,129,132,133,n444,n445,n446,b341,b359,b363,136,143,n499,n504,n505,n506,n529,b411,b427,b431#

In this draft, there are 10 cards of each type. As always, Objectives is the most difficult part... 

Another important question : in the sets you own, there's no inspiration tool (see Regal Vision or Blazing Soul for instance). If you can add Power Unbound Set, you'll find many useful things for all your warbands... including Blazing Soul!

Edited by WathLab

51 minutes ago, WathLab said:

With the sets you own, you can build good decks for sure.

In the link below, you won't find a real deck list, but all the cards are solid :

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,117,119,124,125,n299,n303,n368,b295,b306,b308,127,129,132,133,n444,n445,n446,b341,b359,b363,136,143,n499,n504,n505,n506,n529,b411,b427,b431#

Thanks for sharing. I guess I will try this set and develop from there.

51 minutes ago, WathLab said:

Another important question : in the sets you own, there's no inspiration tool (see Regal Vision or Blazing Soul for instance). If you can add Power Unbound Set, you'll find many useful things for all your warbands... including Blazing Soul!

You´re right. First, I couldn´t find a power unbind set right now. Second, Regal Vision is less of a problem, because I can just grab the set.

Yeah, I can‘t stress how valuable regal vision and blazing soul have become/still are! 

Its insane value on our otherwise very lackluster inspire mechanic and effectively acts as „great fortitude“ update when a fighter is exactly in killing range otherwise. 

A perfectly timed regal vision/blazing soul made so many strong plays possible, once it enabled a charge with Tefk for me (3 hexes away), oneshotting a 3 wounds fighter with a crit (cleave) scoring me „ferocious charge“ and „what armour?“. 

If we get lucky and can inspire our whole Warband turn 1 its pretty scary for any other Warband out there out of sudden.

@WathLab,

This deck looks really fun! I really liked the detailed explanations of your choices and how the deck is supposed to run. I'm still working on painting my "Slayers" (not Fyreslayers), but your article makes me want to get to finishing them! I wanted to ask if you have added any of the new cards from Wurmspat or Mantrappers? For example you could replace great speed with Victor's speed as it's the same upgrade, just with the possibility of equipping it for free if you kill a fighter. I was also wondering, did you ever consider replacing "A Claim Retaken" with "Conquest"? ACR you can only score 2nd and 3rd round, while conquest can only be scored 3rd round, but is much easier to score.

Hopefully the new Daughters and Orruks have some nice universals for the Slayers!

• Like 1

These are not quite done yet, but here are some "bad" pics of the project so far:

IMG_7356.JPG

IMG_7357.JPG

IMG_7358.JPG

IMG_7359.JPG

IMG_7360.JPG

IMG_7361.JPG

IMG_7362.JPG

IMG_7363.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2020 at 10:13 PM, Anthony225 said:

@WathLab,

This deck looks really fun! I really liked the detailed explanations of your choices and how the deck is supposed to run. I'm still working on painting my "Slayers" (not Fyreslayers), but your article makes me want to get to finishing them! I wanted to ask if you have added any of the new cards from Wurmspat or Mantrappers? For example you could replace great speed with Victor's speed as it's the same upgrade, just with the possibility of equipping it for free if you kill a fighter. I was also wondering, did you ever consider replacing "A Claim Retaken" with "Conquest"? ACR you can only score 2nd and 3rd round, while conquest can only be scored 3rd round, but is much easier to score.

@Anthony225

Ahah thanks !

Your warband looks great, as expected ! Fjul and Tefk are magic, and giving Maegrim hammers is a very nice idea. Well done!

I'm glad if you enjoyed this short Deck Guide I wrote and I really hope that you will play your Chosen Axes soon.

To answer your questions : yeah I often play some of the newer cards from Wurmspat & Mantrappers. Mainly Team Effort (great end phase easy scoring glory) and Nightmare in the Shadows (having 3 disctractions is great in the current meta). Many people play Cryptic Companion of course, but I don't like myself - I find it too passive for my own playstyle. Incontested can be great against aggro warbands or Cursebreakers.

I don't like Victor's Speed so much, because you have to apply it on the fighter who made the kill...

And your Conquest / A Claimn Retaken suggestion sounds really fun to me (but that's a very good remark!) - because A Claim Retaken replaced Conquest in my deck !

You're right, Conquest is almost an auto-score every game and doubles Unstoppable Advance well. But recently I've found that early glory is more important, and because everyone plays around objectives (even Magore players sometimes !) it's really easy to score if you have the right cards & strategy. And no one never expects it, so you're almost certain that your moves won't be countered... But I suppose that the 2 options work equally well.

Edited by WathLab

@WathLab

all good suggestions! However, with Victors Speed, can’t you just play it like a generic upgrade? Re-reading it, it doesn’t seem like you “have” to play it on the fighter that made a kill, just looks like an optional reaction. The +1 speed all by itself before the “reaction” option made me think you could either play it similar to a regular Great Speed “OR” use the reaction to play it for free.

so it’d basically be an upgraded Great Speed.

Posted (edited)

You're 100 % correct about VS ! I don"t know what happened here ahaha !

In any case feel free to reach me if needed when you begin your Chosen Axes career !

Edited by WathLab

@WathLab

Maegrim is my secret "favorite". I felt like i had to give him some appropriate weapons for a crazy guy. He doesn't want to accidentally clip himself with an axe while swinging away, but at the same time he wants to pummel his enemies into the ground. Short handled sledge hammers seemed appropriate. Looking a them hammers almost makes an axe inviting...

I like his stats also. He can be the MPV of the game if you go up against a horde band. Poor Vol is the fighter that is "ok" compared to the rest. He still looks cool though and 3 damage is not bad by a mile. 

Posted (edited)

Maegrim is great indeed. What I've found is that many opponents underestimate him as they consider that he's your worst dangle-bro... without looking at his inspired stats ! Don't tell anyone !

I remember one game where he snowballed alone on his side of the board right from the bat and almost killed an entire Gitz warband on his own by the end of round 3 !

Poor Vol, but sure, all Chosen Axes fighter can be dreadful with 1 or 2 upgrades.

Edited by WathLab

I posted my completed "Slayers" in the painted warband section...

I also have a completed "Chosen Axes" warband that I may post (ie, not converted)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Anthony225 said:

I posted my completed "Slayers" in the painted warband section...

I've seen it ! It's a very nice result. A photo of the 2 warbands side by side would be great.

Posted (edited)

One year of Chosen Axes 2.jpg

Hi everyone !

This week, a simple update - the abstract of everything that's been writen this year :

This gold is mine ! One year of a Chosen Axes journey in Warhammer Underworlds

The most recent posts have been mainly dealing with Board Choice, Fighter use priority and Deck-building, including a Deck Guide on Well of Power and an analysis of a great ploy called Mischievous Spirits... Not forgetting, of course, my new custom warband project, the Brewmasters !

By Grimnir, have a nice week in Beastgrave !

Edited by WathLab
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I have a conversion question. I know you can use whatever you want within casual games, but regarding competitive play, whether its a GW venue or otherwise, can you use completely different (GW) models as a replacement/conversion? For example I have my "Slayers" that I would love to use, but with the assumption that Nightvault rotates out when 4th comes in, Chosen Axes will lost a lot of essential cards. I know that newer warbands have a better time coming up with efficient deck builds. So my main question is could the below models be used as a replacement/conversion for Morgok's Krushas? Their playstyle I assume would be very similar, just wanting to fight and being really good at it, and tough to kill.  

IMG_7459.JPG.85796b7daa7c8fe1721ddeeed6d0afd8.jpg

IMG_7455.JPG.5a6f7056fc594c81bea1439c01aba4a7.jpg

IMG_7461.JPG.42f3a52abd1c6062e2106731e20753f3.jpg

8k8c3bi9phi41.png

Edited by Anthony225

Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2020 at 7:55 PM, Anthony225 said:

Chosen Axes will lost a lot of essential cards.

I made a few Season 3 only tests myself, and indeed the resulting Chosen Axes decks are quite frightening... Unless the last 2 warbands give us good new tools I fear it might be game over for us... (That's why I'm trying to do a little something about it right now... I'll share it here soon!)

(And to answer your question - GW is quite strict in general, but for FLGS tourneys, I suppose that you could use the kind of coloured plates we can see in that Grand Clash video. It helps with making sure your opponent recognizes your fighters! https://www.twitch.tv/videos/537959410)

Edited by WathLab

Here are my Slayers with their bases spruced up. I put more pics in the painted warband section

thumbnail_IMG_7851.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7853.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7855.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7857.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7859.jpg

• Like 2

Just read the article about flexible tactics in the latest issue of White Dwarf. Might this be a good way to build a deck for Chaosen Axes?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Indeed, speaking from my own experience, I'd say that Flex is the only reasonnable path with Chosen Axes...

Their stats want to fight, which means Aggro playstyle...

But they aren't fast enough to fully rely on it.

Their inspiration condition lead you towards holding Objectives, which means a different approach...

But again, they aren't fast or numerous enough to fully rely on it.

So in the minds of many Chosen Axes players, Flex is the way.

And that's exactly how the Hammer deck is built!

Edited by WathLab

On 7/9/2020 at 12:03 PM, WathLab said:

Hi everyone ! This week, let's go back to strategy!

Warhammer Underworlds Tactical Puzzle #2 - Will you manage to kill 2 Cursebreakers by the end of your 2nd activation this round ?

The Runefather Underworlds Problem 2 v2.jpg

By Grimnir, have a nice week in Beastgrave !

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy these puzzles and write ups, WathLab. I haven't solved a darn one, but I do like thinking about them. It's made me want to dig my Chosen Axes back out and try some new deck combinations. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/14/2020 at 2:07 PM, JReynolds said:

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy these puzzles and write ups, WathLab. I haven't solved a darn one, but I do like thinking about them. It's made me want to dig my Chosen Axes back out and try some new deck combinations. 

Many thanks, sir! That's much appreciated. (English is not my native tongue, so I hope that you're not too upset by the inevitable mistakes I make all the time...)

There are still a lot of subjects that I'd like to adress here, but right now, I'm not sure at all that I'll find the time to continue my short write ups. We'll see.

Anyway - and above all : good luck with your Chosen Axes !! Grimnir's blessing upon you ;)

Edited by WathLab
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

0 - Dwarven Trilogy final.jpg

Hi everyone! This week, just a short reminder...

If you've seen my previous posts here and there, you know that I've been quite busy with custom warbands recently. So far, I've made 3 new dwarven warbands and have also been thinking about a refreshed version of our favourite fyreslayer warband...

It's been a real blast to meditate about them all.

If I post them here, it's because they're all some kind of variations around The Chosen Axes. However, I tried to give each of them a pretty unique flavour and to balance their cards as much as I could.

So in case you missed them, here they are.

By Grimnir, have a nice summer in Beastgrave !

Edited by WathLab
  • Like 1