Let's Chat: Chosen Axes

Requizen

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/05/warband-focus-chosen-axesgw-homepage-post-1/

With this preview I think there's enough to start a discussion thread. 

Much like Orruks, the Chosen Axes have a very strong leader, a solid "right hand" dude, and two bros that are useful but not crazy. I think much of the focus will be on getting Grimnir and Tefk inspired and then trying to one-shot baddies with them. 

"Push" ploys and Shifting Shards will be nice for guaranteed Inspire on T1, but I think mobility and defensiveness will be good for brawling. I don't really see these guys as Turtle playstyle but it could work that way too. 

What are you guys thinking so far? 

Looks great, ideally wants those 3 Objectives, deployed agressively. Otherwise feels like Orruks. They look like they have more health but will not have the alpha strike most likely.

Lastly if opponents want to counterbuild against them you quite easily can.

Every time Fjul and Tefk are inspired, they are going to be Stormcast and Orruk's nightmare. 

The games will depend heavely on the ploys like distraction to counter them. I fear that round 1 will look like: Distraction, Side step... and then Peal of Thunder? followed by the Earth Shakes?

Cunning Duellist and Confusion will be great to mess with the inspiration condition as well.

I think the Bloodreavers will have good arguments against the Chosen axes: the revears will be able to pick one or two round 1, charging them without being oneshot next activation and Saek can oneshot most of them.

I don't see how a game against the Sepulchral Guard and them will look like.

Anyway, the game is going to get more bloody (bloodier?).

1 hour ago, Biboune said:

Every time Fjul and Tefk are inspired, they are going to be Stormcast and Orruk's nightmare. 

The games will depend heavely on the ploys like distraction to counter them. I fear that round 1 will look like: Distraction, Side step... and then Peal of Thunder? followed by the Earth Shakes?

Cunning Duellist and Confusion will be great to mess with the inspiration condition as well.

I think the Bloodreavers will have good arguments against the Chosen axes: the revears will be able to pick one or two round 1, charging them without being oneshot next activation and Saek can oneshot most of them.

I don't see how a game against the Sepulchral Guard and them will look like.

Anyway, the game is going to get more bloody (bloodier?).

Khorne will be interesting. I think that matchup gets decided T1 - if Khorne can alpha and kill either Fjul or Tefk (or both), it's almost game over. But if they fail... Hoo boy it's gonna get bad for them. 

Skellies will be interesting. If they remain defensive (which seems to be the case), Dorfs will just put objectives in the middle and it'll play out much like Orruks. I think it'll be a similar matchup, but more chances to gib a Dorf early on with a good Champion/Second Skeleton combo. 

Cruel Taunt looking more like an auto include in many decks now. Useful for other warbands but massively powerful against these guys who get +1 move, +1 damage and +1 wound when inspired. Also removes crit cleave off their leader but would probably be used on someone sitting on an objective on turn 1 trying to get inspired if the leader wasnt one of them. 

Not sure I'd like playing them since they'll have the most predictable turn 1s of any warband so far wanting to sit on their objective to get inspired then most of the time be eating the charges. 

I think these guys look great from a rules PoV. They have a super powerful inspire that is somewhat easy to engineer on a couple of your fighters. I do want to reserve judgement until I've seen all the cards included, both to see what the Fyreslayers themselves get and also what the neutral cards are.

Sorry, rushed post, finishing work and just finished reading the Warhammer Community article.

• Like 1

First impression is that this warband seems really... bad.

Seems like you want to spend the first turn inspiring and then try to kill your opponent over the next two, but their low movement makes this very difficult to accomplish. Are they good enough in combat if they don't inspire? Are they just meant to play as objective sitters? That playstyle is very easy to disrupt.

Not impressed.

3 hours ago, PJetski said:

Seems like you want to spend the first turn inspiring and then try to kill your opponent over the next two, but their low movement makes this very difficult to accomplish. Are they good enough in combat if they don't inspire? Are they just meant to play as objective sitters? That playstyle is very easy to disrupt.

Not impressed.

Yeah neither. I think they're implied to be the go to objective warband but this makes them quite predictable and unable to do much else. With M2 without being inspired it'll be hard pressed to even get to objectives in the enemy territory. Looks like shardcaller is a must have upgrade for these guys too. Just sit on objectives and swap for the one you need. yaaawn lol

I think they are going to be a pain for stormcast or, moreover, for orruk. They jut need to inspired 1 or 2 models, then... they socer a lot of glory o be in the enemy territory (swift advance + unstoppable advance+ conquest = 5 glory point)s, they hare the hardest hitters, they can re-roll attack, cure or ignore wounds etc.

They lack the fun of skavens, that is a fact. Bloodreavers and Skavens will aplha strick them round 1, but all the other bands would need good ploys round one to stop the train before it hits them.

Is anyone else planning on substituting  the Fyreslayer Doomseeker from Silver Tower for  Mad Maegrim? Just to  prevent "two dual axe" confusion?

Since the new-card list just got released, I took a shot at a build i think I'll try. Its designed to not get drawn into a specific target (ie: no kill the leader cards), and i'm not going for anything that makes my guys (or there's) get/stay in territory due to movement and reliance on the other guy's gameplan. I suppose its going to be a "jack of all/master of none" approach or..... "The BROsen Axis"

Objectives

Ferocious Charge

Scion of Grtimnir

Escalation

Hold Obj 1-5

Ploymaster

Master of War

No More Tricks

Precise Use of Strength

Upgrades

Light Armour

Advanced Runes

Grimnirs Fort

Awakened Weapon

Great Fortitude

Great Strength

Helpful Whispers

Soul Trap

Total Offense

Vampiric Weapon

Ploys

Oathsworn

Tresure Lust

Urgold Boon

Distraction

Fueled by Fury

Ready for Action

Scavange

Side Step

Spoilks of Battle

Healing Potion

Feedback would be most welcome.

11 hours ago, PJetski said:

Not impressed.

Keep in mind they have the two strongest fighters in the game, once inspired and maybe easiest inspire trigger (with ALOT of ploys to help them).

Now that we have their cards, they seem to have top tier objectives and maybe the best plays in the game. A lot of pushing, damage mitigation, rerolls....

I think they will be extremely strong.

• Like 1

Do you think that they'll be able to create a deck that doesn't consist of holding the objectives?  I know they'll need to sit on them at least one turn in order to be inspired, but if you don't hold that card in your hand it'd be wasted anyway.  I'm going to take a look through the card library to see if I can come up with a 'punchy' deck.

1 hour ago, Changer said:

Do you think that they'll be able to create a deck that doesn't consist of holding the objectives?  I know they'll need to sit on them at least one turn in order to be inspired, but if you don't hold that card in your hand it'd be wasted anyway.  I'm going to take a look through the card library to see if I can come up with a 'punchy' deck.

Of course it's possible. Yes, you are giving up on some synergy, but you'll be able to throw more combat oriented objectives in instead.
And you won't suffer from the many drawbacks of playing hold objectives either such as losing points to a simple push or needing to hold/draw specific objectives/cards.

While I was initially bummed by how easy it would be to knock these guys off of Objectives to deny Insipiring, I came to realize how many ways they have to get back on. There's 3 Universal cards (Shifting Shards, Sidestep, Earthquake) but Fyreslayers also have The Earth Shakes, Treasure-Lust, and Living Wall. 6 cards in all to keep your dudes on the point, maybe even count No Time as a countermeasure in some situations. 

And 6 ploys to Inspire seems like a lot, but remember that all those Push cards are still useful for general mobility and brawling as well. I think it'll be more than feasible to get these guys buffed up and in the enemy's face. 

• Like 2

Exactly. I'm thinking stacking lots of mobility and defensive Power cards, then leaning on the natural hitting power of the Dorfs, much like Stormcast. Never worry about Inspiring Maegrim, and imo only one of Vol or Tefk "needs" to be Inspired, but if you get both, great. 

They get less free actions than Orruks but I think they make up for it in other ways. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

While I was initially bummed by how easy it would be to knock these guys off of Objectives to deny Insipiring, I came to realize how many ways they have to get back on. There's 3 Universal cards (Shifting Shards, Sidestep, Earthquake) but Fyreslayers also have The Earth Shakes, Treasure-Lust, and Living Wall. 6 cards in all to keep your dudes on the point, maybe even count No Time as a countermeasure in some situations. 

And 6 ploys to Inspire seems like a lot, but remember that all those Push cards are still useful for general mobility and brawling as well. I think it'll be more than feasible to get these guys buffed up and in the enemy's face. 

This is a great point but doesn't this also railroad them into a single playstyle? They could be a very strong warband but a one-dimensional approach to the game that is very "feast or famine" doesn't seem like a lot of fun.

4 minutes ago, PJetski said:

This is a great point but doesn't this also railroad them into a single playstyle? They could be a very strong warband but a one-dimensional approach to the game that is very "feast or famine" doesn't seem like a lot of fun.

Eh, not really. Mobility is good for combat, but it's also good for Objective based play as well. Treasure-lust is a great card for getting to your opponent's backfield objectives, they might not expect a 5 Hex move on Turn 1 from Dorfs. Living Wall is also great for a defensive style play since you can get some guys in to support each other. 

End of the day, you're going to have to play around Objectives in some way, shape, or form, since you need to use them to Inspire. But you can do it "partially" in order to just Inspire and go aggro after, or you do go after them fully to play Objective based, or you can use them as a rally point for defensive/reactive style play. Not saying all will be equally viable, but it's not one-note imo. 

They definitely seem that way at first, but I've been mulling over the Dorfs quite a bit since the cards dropped and I'm liking them more as I put cards together.

• Like 1