Let's Chat: Chosen Axes

Requizen

If you went first, how did you play this card before taking your activation?

Hi ! I did not. My opponent just moved Alensen in his 1st activation to score Calculated Risk, then I played Treasure Lust and Vol was allowed to release his wrath in my own 1st activation. 

I thought it wasn't necessary to specify it (and Alensen's position should be one hex up, just near Ironhail), but maybe I should have.

Thanks ! 

Edited by WathLab

8 hours ago, Tutenkharnage said:

I'm confused. If you went first, how did you play this card before taking your activation? It couldn't have been played until the first power step, in which case the opening board position seems unlikely.

I edited my post to mention my opponent's 1st activation (but the image is still sligthlty incorrect because of Alensen's position but that does'nt matter so much) :

https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerUnderworlds/comments/e0876z/5_useful_concepts_i_learned_from_go_part_2_why/

When my opponent scored CR, he chose to inspire Lund, and that's another reason why I thought I had to do something to take the initiative...

Edited by WathLab

16 hours ago, Anthony225 said:

WathLab what does your lost look like nowadays? I find it hard to thin the power deck to acceptable levels. Slayers just have so many good-great ploys it’s usually have faction cards. 

You mean my win-rate ? Since last Rotation, with Chosen Axes I'd say that it's around 75 % (during the Shadespire + Nightvault era, it was slightly better).

When it comes to ploys/gambits, as always, The Earth Shakes / Treasure Lust / Oathsworn are the in-faction cards without which I never leave the Lodge. Right now, I'd say that the power deck I play the most looks like something like that :

The Earth Shakes / Treasure Lust / Oathsworn / Regal Vision / Restless Prize / Sidestep / Shadowed Step / Confusion / Inspired Attack / The last one being one of those : Undomitable, Shifting Reflection, Countercharge, Mirror Move, Distraction...

Edited by WathLab

Chosen Axes are the new Hunters.jpg

(I must warn you, we dwarves enjoy good disputes...)

As they play around Objectives (enough to mess with the enemy plans) but don't need them all game...

As they have some of the best faction specific push-ploys...

As Hordes can't hide that easily from Fyreslayer's wrath...

As they have high damage output and thus don't need to drive back so much to get kills (which is harder to get now with the new Guard Rules and Upgrades)...

As their Cleave make Guard less efficient for many opponents...

As faction-specific objectives like A Claim Retaken are now becoming much better...

As Abandonned Lair is a good flex board which works quite well for them...

Aren't Chosen Axes the new Hunters ?

Edited by WathLab
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 12:19 AM, WathLab said:

You mean my win-rate ? Since last Rotation, with Chosen Axes I'd say that it's around 75 % (during the Shadespire + Nightvault era, it was slightly better).

When it comes to ploys/gambits, as always, The Earth Shakes / Treasure Lust / Oathsworn are the in-faction cards without which I never leave the Lodge. Right now, I'd say that the power deck I play the most looks like something like that :

The Earth Shakes / Treasure Lust / Oathsworn / Regal Vision / Restless Prize / Sidestep / Shadowed Step / Confusion / Inspired Attack / The last one being one of those : Undomitable, Shifting Reflection, Countercharge, Mirror Move, Distraction...

WathLab, what does your objective deck look like ? I find it challenging to get the second half of the objective deck nailed down. The first half is pretty much auto includes, but it seems hard to get any real “easy” to score objectives.

On 12/14/2019 at 8:08 PM, Anthony225 said:

I find it challenging to get the second half of the objective deck nailed down. The first half is pretty much auto includes, but it seems hard to get any real “easy” to score objectives.

This is Chosen Axes players' fate... Our warband is definitely not easy-mode. :)

Here is the deck I had the most success with recently. With a few changes here and there, this is the deck I used for the Vassal of the Underworlds League. 6 wins out of 8 games, facing Gitz, Profiteers, Cursebreakers and Despoilers with an average score of 14-9...

As always, I value reliability over anything else, but indeed I find it harder to get good objectives for an Aggro/Flex warband like ours...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WathLab said:

One year of Chosen Axes.jpg

Hi everyone !

This week, we'll simply make a short abstract of everything that's been writen this year :

NO they aren't easy-mode & YES they can ! One year of a Chosen Axes journey in Warhammer Underworlds

By Grimnir, have a nice week in Beastgrave !

WathLab I would like to thank you for these articles, thanks to your advices this Thursday evening I finished second with the Chosen Axes in a tournament of 25 players losing only in the final against grymwatch but beating, skaven, grymwatch, mollog and snarlfangs!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bandit-94 said:

WathLab I would like to thank you for these articles, thanks to your advices this Thursday evening I finished second with the Chosen Axes in a tournament of 25 players losing only in the final against grymwatch but beating, skaven, grymwatch, mollog and snarlfangs!

That's great ! Well done ! Makes me very, very happy to know that Chosen Axes were successful and that these short posts were useful to you. Thanks for this report and for your kind word !

Edited by WathLab

On 12/20/2019 at 6:35 PM, WathLab said:

One year of Chosen Axes.jpg

Hi everyone !

This week, we'll simply make a short abstract of everything that's been writen this year :

NO they aren't easy-mode & YES they can ! One year of a Chosen Axes journey in Warhammer Underworlds

By Grimnir, have a nice week in Beastgrave !

Great post, inspired to play chosen axed again after some time away from underworlds

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, just wanted to share a deck I had pretty good success with recently. 

https://www.underworlds-deckers.com/en/deck-builder/the-chosen-axes/?ObjectiveCard=119,124,2305,2319,2385,5277,5295,5298,5305,5306,5307,5308&GambitCard=129,132,133,2441,2445,5324,5341,5363,5366,5375&UpgradeCard=136,142,2499,2503,2529,3049,3054,5396,5398,5431&DeckTitle=Chosen Axes

Won 6 out of 6 matches so far. I‘m quite surprised they are doing so well. I think its the good mixture of Objective holding and aggressive cards. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

Hey guys, just wanted to share a deck I had pretty good success with recently. 

Hey ! That's great news. Congrats for this deck and for your victories. Doing so well with the hold-objective approach is no small feat.

I'm curious : how often are you scoring Run Ragged ? And Dug In ? And what was your average score in these 6 games ?

(I'm in a series of 6 wins in a row myself (vs Despoilers / Cursebreakers / Thorns / Farstriders / Sepulchral Guard / Gitz) with my Aggro Flex Chosen Axes deck - no doubt that they still have life in them !)

Keep up your good work!

Edited by WathLab
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WathLab said:

Hey ! That's great news. Congrats for this deck and for your victories. Doing so well with the hold-objective approach is no small feat.

I'm curious : how often are you scoring Run Ragged ? And Dug In ? And what was your average score in these 6 games ?

(I'm in a series of 6 wins in a row myself (vs Despoilers / Cursebreakers / Thorns / Farstriders / Sepulchral Guard / Gitz) with my Aggro Flex Chosen Axes deck - no doubt that they still have life in them !)

Keep up your good work!

Hey thanks for the reply, 

1) Run ragged: I still don‘t know if I get this card correctly, but as far as I understand all I have to do is basically have made a move or charge action with each fighter. 
So far I‘ve always scored it as moving/charging is what I do anyway to get on the objectives or kill stuff. 

2) dug in: This one is interesting as it just says „hold 3“ „held 3“ - not the same ones. So far I‘ve always scored this card when it was in my hand t2 / t3. 

The average score was pretty high tbh (~17 compared to ~14 I regularly score with my Profiteers*), which as I said really surprised me. I knew the struggle of slow duardin being unable to score/kill/get inspired but with this deck I had incredible combos and turns my opponents couldnt react to appropriately. 

Its fun, thats for sure! 

Also new Guard is awesome for Fyreslayers. 

Survival Instinct and the reaction card that gives a Guard token (forgot the name) are MVP! No pushing means no easy denying scoring objective cards. 

*They are the other Warband I usually play (about 100 Matches with them as opposed to maybe 15-20 with Chosen Axes) but I just love Fyreslayers! 

Hope this insight helps, good luck to you too and everyone playing this manliest of all warbands 😂👍🏻 🍻 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phasteon said:

1) Run ragged: I still don‘t know if I get this card correctly, but as far as I understand all I have to do is basically have made a move or charge action with each fighter. 

To score Run Ragged, you need every fighter on the board to have a token, not only yours sadly...

*They are the other Warband I usually play (about 100 Matches with them as opposed to maybe 15-20 with Chosen Axes) but I just love Fyreslayers! 

I'm a 100 games Fyreslayer player who also had 15-20 games with Profiteers... The exact reverse!

Edited by WathLab

26 minutes ago, WathLab said:

1) To score Run Ragged, you need every fighter on the board to have a token, not only yours sadly...

2) I'm a 100 games Fyreslayer player who also had 15-20 games with Profiteers... The exact reverse!

1) Ahhh thanks! How did I missed that? Read that card about 10 times because it seemed ridiculously easy for 2 glory. 

So I‘ll probably remove it and take something like „Claim Retaken“

2) Haha, Chosen Axes were my first warband and the reason I started a Fyreslayers army in AoS (my main army now, the other one obviously being KO). 

But it was so tilting to not be able to really do much because the fighters were just so slow and the objective cards so hard to achieve. 

Profiteers felt much more fun due to their range and inspire condition (which is the best in the game imo, considering how good duardin get when they inspire), but with all those new mechanics and cards Chosen Axes have become the new „hotness“ (get it?) most people just dont know or care about I think. 

• Like 1

So I‘ll probably remove it and take something like „Claim Retaken“

A pretty good choice in the current meta... And in that case, i guess that playing Mischievous Spirits could be a good idea, as it would support your whole gameplan. In replacement of Unatural truce maybe ?

45 minutes ago, WathLab said:

A pretty good choice in the current meta... And in that case, i guess that playing Mischievous Spirits could be a good idea, as it would support your whole gameplan. In replacement of Unatural truce maybe ?

Its worth a consideration, but my main problem with this card is that all objective markers get moved so you have to plan very carefully. 

I‘d take the card if I knew I would likely face it just to counter it, but in my local meta people don‘t use such „gimmicky“ cards most of the time. 

Maybe thats why I had so much success recently, the tactics are more often than not very straight forward (combat/magic/defensive denial) with very little surprise or „deny“ cards. 

Rebound is a problem though, 33% of possibly losing the game because of it. 

Edit: Tbh I was very sad to see that Rebound got back, I cheered when the card was removed and I played it myself. It made people stop playing offensive „oneshot“ decks because I (pure luck here) ALWAYS passed that roll. 

Edited by Phasteon

14 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

my main problem with this card is that all objective markers get moved so you have to plan very carefully. 

I wrote a little something about it recently (here), so I know it's true : this card can be very tricky... But so powerful at the same time. In your current deck it could help with about the half of your objectives. And also disrupt your opponent's plan if he plays a top tier hold objective warband... And mess with yours of course !

Rebound... Sure, it's a problem for heavy hitters like Chosen Axes. Should be 2 damage at best.

At least it's restricted now !

Edited by WathLab
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys, I´m going to come back to that lovely game after a one year hiatus. Weli, normally I do not ask for any kind of lists, but right now I´m totally overwhelmed by the sheer number of available cards. That and the fact that I haven´t played a game for 12 months now...

my I ask you for some help regarding deck building?

That´s the card decks I currently own:

Chosen Axes

Nightvault Starter

Mollogs Mob

Zarbags Gitz

Thundriks Profiteers

Grymwatch

Wurmspat

Rippa´s Snarlfangs

What would be your first draft for a deck out of this pool of cards?

What are the must haves in your opinion?

Thanks in advance