• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

I don't suppose there's any chance of you making tutorial videos any time soon...?

I'm quite camera shy, but I'll give it some thought :P. I could make some step by step guide with pics though, if that is of any help.

8 hours ago, Mayple said:

Great stuff Kugane :D I recently discovered the black to dryad bark to light brown drybrushing greatness myself. Really gives a nice natural Skaven fur/fleshtone :D

I personally still prefer skaven blight dinge > nuln oil > stormvermin fur highlight > nuln oil again > stormvermin fur 2nd highlight approach for the fur XD, I really like grey rats over brown rats, but sometimes its just too much of a hastle/time consuming. Funny enough, the models I drybrushed often look better then the ones I didn't do with the drybrushing approach. I guess when I first started out painting I really underestimated that the thickness of paintlayers really ruins the look and feel of a model. I see that especially with some of the earlier models I painted, they are absolutely horrible to look at, because I just did everything in the wrong order.

My first minis I had the believe system to do all the drybrushing first so it wouldnt ruin the details later on.... Well, i can tell you this. They are an absolute mess.

A clanrat went something like this:

1. prime black.

2. paint all the skin parts with ratskin flesh straight out of the pot.

3. drybrush the ratskin with cadian.

4. add fleshshade.

5. more cadian fresh out of the pot xD

6. start painting the armour red.

7. accidentally put a giant red blob on the previously drybrushed/washed skin parts.

8. try to fix it with more cadian fresh out of the pot.

9. Not get the result right. Add more wash and some drybrush.

10. accidentally drybrush the red  bits.

11. add more red s traight out of the pot.

... step 35. add basing material aggrelan badlands or w/e. Stain the mini somewhere. Rage. More paint straight of the pot.

Needless to say, they are an absolute mess and I feel ashamed to field them XD, yet already feel tired to think of painting a fresh batch of 40 clanrats haha.

@Kugane ouch. That sounds like a bad time :P good for learning though!

On the synergy front, I completely forgot about the Warpgnaw Verminlord. Paired with a full unit of stormvermin, or clanrats, he can give a Verminus army some much needed flexibility. With a guaranteed tunneling ability (as opposed to the drills) and with great combat stats, he might just win the battle :)

Edit: a notable strength is that his spell, in addition to the general movement boost, also allows you to not only walk, but CHARGE through terrain as long as you don't end inside of it.

39 minutes ago, Mayple said:

@Kugane ouch. That sounds like a bad time :P good for learning though!

On the synergy front, I completely forgot about the Warpgnaw Verminlord. Paired with a full unit of stormvermin, or clanrats, he can give a Verminus army some much needed flexibility. With a guaranteed tunneling ability (as opposed to the drills) and with great combat stats, he might just win the battle :)

Edit: a notable strength is that his spell, in addition to the general movement boost, also allows you to not only walk, but CHARGE through terrain as long as you don't end inside of it.

The issue I run into is fitting him into a 2k list. I even have a hard time fitting 30 or 40 stormvermin tbh, let alone a warpgnaw. The thing is, if you take a 40-20-20 clanrat configuration, along with 40 stormvermin (if you really want to take advantage of that warpgnaw) and the "mandatory" warlord on brood horror, you use up an absolute ton of points already, at which point you kind of want to devote to something like some jezzails or even a warplightning cannon. I would also like to bring a deceiver, which is also hard when taking a warpgnaw.

TLDR: I'm probably biased because I don't want to pay 60 pounds + shipping for a warpgnaw when I don't have a broodhorror yet XD.

I'm considering to use that other verminlord I converted as a warpgnaw proxy for some games. 

What are you hope for the new Spiteclaw Swarm?

My enthusiasm has dropped a bit with the teaser. I was hoping for something bringing us what we lack (mobility, mortal wounds, survivability...). It seems that this new warlord and unit are more likely to replace some clanrats, warlord or stormvermins.

Plus the ability to heal the swarm sounds like the warlord on brood horror.

But I'm still waiting for the full warscroll, stats and points to see, who knows :) and I'll gladly buy the models anyway because they look awesome...

4 hours ago, Num said:

My enthusiasm has dropped a bit with the teaser. I was hoping for something bringing us what we lack (mobility, mortal wounds, survivability...). It seems that this new warlord and unit are more likely to replace some clanrats, warlord or stormvermins.

But I'm still waiting for the full warscroll, stats and points to see, who knows :) and I'll gladly buy the models anyway because they look awesome...

I love it. I thought we would be getting a new (special) unit of clanrats, but the fact that it's a warlord in addition to what I can only assume to be clanrats means our options suddently increased a lot :D I was planning to grab them already, both as an entry into shadespire, and as an addition to my other clanrats, but now I'm actually hyped. 

Even if his command ability sucks, I'll be a happy rat. 

Unrelated. Tried a pure 1000 pts Verminus against Ironjaws today (well, allied in a single Warlock-engineer who blew himself up on turn 1. For the second time in two games. His ambitions might be limited)

Swarmed him with rats and gutter runners. Frontlined with inspired clanrats (40). Killed a single brute over the course of 4 rounds, won all the objectives (scorched earth)

It was versus a new guy, so not a great indicator of anything, but it did underline the useful nature of 40 inspired clanrats, which tanked his mawcrusha for two (double) rounds, then retreated the ONE remaining rat onto an open objective past it and burned it. Good times :)

I hope the new swarm allows you to add more clanrats to the swarm (I doubt it though). I'm afraid 3 clanrats are too easily blasted off the table.

16 hours ago, Num said:

They haven't revealed his command ability and such yet. If he pretty much allows skaven to have more bravery with some sort of command ability, then he is probably a really great model. I'm just hoping GW realizes the problem with verminus and has finally decided to give us something to glue all the pieces together. Skaven are SO close to being decent. They just need something to stop those damned battleshocks.

I already have big conversion plans for Spiteclaw. I can't wait to pick up a few boxes ><

Here's a competitive attempt at the 'commissar rat' strategy. Doomwheels for taking objectives when heroes/behemoths are required, just cruising around if not. I'm a bit sad that having a warlord be our general is such a drawback, but at least Verminus drops onto the field with 200 rats (which comes in at 1120 pts with the grey seer, so you could go with even more if you're unhinged)

Plenty of gutter runners to simply force the opponent to do something to respond to them. They come in from every conceivable angle. 

Mortars for mortaring.

Allegiance: Chaos
Grey Seer (120)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
Arch Warlock (140)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
1 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (60)
Doomwheel (130)
Doomwheel (130)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 259

Purely a theoretical list at the moment, since I only own half of that amount of clanrats. 

Edit: terrain features should make it a simple matter to avoid getting the grey seer sniped, and 200 clanrats will make any attempt at deepstriking impossible ;)

52 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Guys!!! Look what I found! xD

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads/aos-warscroll-spiteclaws-swarm-en.pdf

image.png.6dc0d11f48c59f6929857ea03f31f45a.png

I decided to replace Sepulchral guard with spiteclaws-swarm in the URL and boom! There they are ahahaha enjoy

That command ability though! Ignoring the fact that it doesn't need to activate in the hero phase (huge!) - does it activate several times, or just once? If there's several units fighting, I mean. 

Weird wording, tbh.

5 hours ago, Mayple said:

Here's a competitive attempt at the 'commissar rat' strategy. Doomwheels for taking objectives when heroes/behemoths are required, just cruising around if not. I'm a bit sad that having a warlord be our general is such a drawback, but at least Verminus drops onto the field with 200 rats (which comes in at 1120 pts with the grey seer, so you could go with even more if you're unhinged)

Plenty of gutter runners to simply force the opponent to do something to respond to them. They come in from every conceivable angle. 

Mortars for mortaring.

Allegiance: Chaos
Grey Seer (120)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
Arch Warlock (140)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
Doomwheel (130)
Doomwheel (130)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 259

Purely a theoretical list at the moment, since I only own half of that amount of clanrats. 

Edit: terrain features should make it a simple matter to avoid getting the grey seer sniped, and 200 clanrats will make any attempt at deepstriking impossible ;)

I quite like your list. I myself am looking to run something along the lines of:

Allegiance:

Chaos

Leaders

Verminlord Deceiver (320) - Artefact : Crown of Conquest

Skaven Assassin (100) - Weeping Blades

Grey Seer (120) - General

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160) - Runestaff (He lied on his CV that he's a professional in Skaven Engineering, now he's stuck ordering Jezzails to shoot better)

Units

40 x Clanrats (200) -Rusty Spear

20 x Clanrats (120) -Rusty Spear

20 x Clanrats (120) -Rusty Spear

5 x Gutter Runners (60)

6 x Warplock Jezzails (280)

3 x Stormfiends (300)

War Machines Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Total: 1960 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 4/6 Battlelines: 5 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 2/4 Wounds: 148

10 minutes ago, Mayple said:

That command ability though! Ignoring the fact that it doesn't need to activate in the hero phase (huge!) - does it activate several times, or just once? If there's several units fighting, I mean. 

Weird wording, tbh.

Well, we are Skaven Warlords... So... We like us some cheese I'd say and go with: They all get buffed. Unless there is a rule that allows us to use 1 command ability at a time, but then Deathrunners wouldn't be able to use command ability twice either?

3 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Well, we are Skaven Warlords... So... We like us some cheese I'd say and go with: They all get buffed. Unless there is a rule that allows us to use 1 command ability at a time, but then Deathrunners wouldn't be able to use command ability twice either?

I'm sure they'll adress it :) either way, hyped to get a new warlord with a new command trait!

Just now, Mayple said:

I'm sure they'll adress it :) either way, hyped to get a new warlord with a new command trait!

Indeed lol. I have been refreshing the page with Spiteclaws-Swarm in the url for days now, lol. I'm glad some employee finally put it online thinking we Skaven cannot find it until tomorrow XD.

Still wish we were able to take like... 50 swarms. Or add clanrats to the swarm.

6 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Indeed lol. I have been refreshing the page with Spiteclaws-Swarm in the url for days now, lol. I'm glad some employee finally put it online thinking we Skaven cannot find it until tomorrow XD.

Still wish we were able to take like... 50 swarms. Or add clanrats to the swarm.

Great work :D the great horned rat surely approves!

The swarm seems completely useless though. Which was to be expected, sure, I just don't understand why they went through the trouble of making special rules for what is basically FOUR clanrats :P like, immunity to bravery and whatnot has no effect on something that is wiped out at a glance. 

Care to post the swarm here too, by the way?

Edit: nevermind, you already did :)

3 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Great work :D the great horned rat surely approves!

The swarm seems completely useless though. Which was to be expected, sure, I just don't understand why they went through the trouble of making special rules for what is basically FOUR clanrats :P like, immunity to bravery and whatnot has no effect on something that is wiped out at a glance. 

Care to post the swarm here too, by the way?

image.png.bebde960a83afab6ff188a94ea4a2014.png

There you go. Well... at least if skritch dies Krrk gets buffed. So thats good at least. I wonder if Skaven Chieftains are tournament legal to take over command abilities when a Skaven is about to die.

Aversion of death may make this unit quite hard to deal with though... Especially if clanrats keep coming to life each turn.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Do you have any plans for them yet?

The clanrats don't seem so bad as a point filler... 7.5 points/clanrat (versus 6pts for a 20 unit) but they get more attacks (4.3 pts/atk versus 6pts/atk for the 20)

Plus they can grab objectives and pick up leftover units... I might use them (with or without skritch) as cheap objective grabbing, point-filling heroes.

Skritch is nice but no clanshield or rend -2. I still don't fully comprehend its ability though... Multiple use seems too huge to be true... Using in combat phase means we can't buff units before movement (skritch has to go in with them) but it allows for some flexibility by buffing only units that made it into melee. What are your thoughts? Is he worth the 20 points over a warpforged blade+shield warlord ?

2 hours ago, Num said:

Thanks for sharing! :)

Do you have any plans for them yet?

The clanrats don't seem so bad as a point filler... 7.5 points/clanrat (versus 6pts for a 20 unit) but they get more attacks (4.3 pts/atk versus 6pts/atk for the 20)

Plus they can grab objectives and pick up leftover units... I might use them (with or without skritch) as cheap objective grabbing, point-filling heroes.

Skritch is nice but no clanshield or rend -2. I still don't fully comprehend its ability though... Multiple use seems too huge to be true... Using in combat phase means we can't buff units before movement (skritch has to go in with them) but it allows for some flexibility by buffing only units that made it into melee. What are your thoughts? Is he worth the 20 points over a warpforged blade+shield warlord ?

Even if multiples, I think in general we are only running like 3 or 4 verminus units max. So the odds of all of those being in combat at the same time are already too good to be true lol. So perhaps the extra "50" cost for the swarm and the extra cost for skritch is for that effect :P. Regardless really hoping to get that clawpack back asap.

Archived