Suggestion for Stormfiends squad building

Epicmay

Hi everyone, it's actually my very first topic so i'm not sure whether i'm doing everything the right way.

Anyways, it's a pretty simple question, i recently got a squad of stormfiends, which, as any skryre player will know, have 6 different building options, and only one for each, so you can't say build three of the same option.

Now, since i play them in a 2000 points list, including them in a gautfyre scorch enginecoven, my first idea was to build them all as warpflame projectors, and i'll play them as such, in any game in which i'm allowed that extent of proxy, but for the games that will require a strict model/rule fidelity, i've got some doubts: one of course will be a warpflame projector, for a second one i luckly just found some space marine bits, precisely two flamethrowers, which, wit a little work, would look just perfect for a second warpflame projector guy; for the third one i was considering the doomflayer gauntlets, to finish off with a nice charge whoever should stay the warpflames.

Apart from that first squad, i was also considering the idea of getting a second squad, and build it pretty much the same as the first one, with a warpflame projector, a doomflayer gauntlet, and, maybe getting some more 40k bits, a third warpflame projector (including this second squad in the gautfyre scorch as well).

Now apart from a lot of studying and a little amount of maths, which will probably be useless considering clans skryre's ways,  i unluckly haven't had the chance to test the list yet, so i'm not sure about how these guys will fare, so, to any who plays the big stormbadguys, is the "two three models squad, 4 warpflame projectors, 2 doomflayer gauntlets" a wise choice?

It is the best(ish) choice unless you have a way to buff them in combat (vigordust, packmaster, etc)

With +1 and +2, Shock gauntlets vastly outperform warpfire projectors. But not without it, so build accordingly :) the other close combat options is alright without buffs as well. The drill is notable in that it is the best option for doubling damage with watptokens.

Thanks for the advice!

Anyways, yeah i wasn't really planning to buff them up, my idea would be to alphastrike and then pretty much burn everything down; the doomflayer gauntlets look to me like the most, not really powerful, but at least trustworthy option, since after a charge they'd hit on a 2+ and wound on a 3+.

The only issue are the 2d3 attacks and d3 damage, i mean, if i didn't love gambling i wouldn't play skryre, but i'd be taking those for some solid, almost sure damage... those 3 damage from the warpgrinder fists sure look neat, especially if, as you said, doubled with the spark... probs got to try them out a bit before making my mind.

1 hour ago, Lucio said:

I favour 2 x Poison Wind Globiders and 1 x Drill, aim is to tunnel up behind cover and "taunt" a unit or two into attacking you by causing damage of their most numerous units

Poison wind on Stormfiends is a bit of trap unfortunately. One stormfiend (1/3 = 100 pts) shoots twice at the same hitrate as Poison wind globadiers (acolytes), and Mortars. You get Five globadiers, or one mortar, for 60 pts. For 120 pts (20 points more than one stormfiend packing the poison wind) you get two mortars that can shoot longer, and hit harder - or 10 Acolytes, that shoot 10 times. 

If you max out poison wind on stormfiends, you get six shots in total, at 300 points. For the same cost, you get five mortars (five shots at longer range and double the damage) - or for 20 pts more, you get THIRTY acolytes, who matches the Stormfiends ranged damage output, except they throw 30 globes instead of 6. 

tl;dr: Never get poison wind on Stormfiends. 

1 hour ago, Mayple said:

Poison wind on Stormfiends is a bit of trap unfortunately. One stormfiend (1/3 = 100 pts) shoots twice at the same hitrate as Poison wind globadiers (acolytes), and Mortars. You get Five globadiers, or one mortar, for 60 pts. For 120 pts (20 points more than one stormfiend packing the poison wind) you get two mortars that can shoot longer, and hit harder - or 10 Acolytes, that shoot 10 times. 

If you max out poison wind on stormfiends, you get six shots in total, at 300 points. For the same cost, you get five mortars (five shots at longer range and double the damage) - or for 20 pts more, you get THIRTY acolytes, who matches the Stormfiends ranged damage output, except they throw 30 globes instead of 6. 

tl;dr: Never get poison wind on Stormfiends. 

On top of that, poison wind stormfiends can reach a maximum damage of 2d3, if both attacks hit and wound.

With warpflame projectors you get 2d3 mortal wounds automatically.

The only upside could be the range, since the 8" of the warpflame projectors is really short. But that's exactly why the gautfyre scorch exists..

Archived