Cogforts, mobile bastions, who has been drawing on dreaming of them?

Thundercake

Cog towers! Ordered some laser cut wood gears that ill be putting all over the fort.

I love these towers. They rotate around the base platform so the units will turn with it and  still gets the gear-turning effect. Ill add some kind low walls to them later. Also they add space without costing any play space.

This kinda makes me want to try KillTeam just to use this as the board.

20180913_124124.jpg

20180913_124109.jpg

20180913_124102.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Had a cool idea. 

How about a GW model of a cogfort that goes with the much hoped for free armies battletome. Except, it would be a terrain piece.

A moveable piece of terrain that provides buffs and has some kind of gun(s) that can be used when you have units in range or on it.

It would allow them to express the scale of a cogfort, better than a KO scale at least. The Gloomtide size comes to mind. Which make me lol thinking about how much bigger the Gloomtide is than a  KO Ironclad.

Thats all i got so far.

Edited by Oath Stoned
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

Oh I don't know if its been mentioned but Howl's Moving Castle could be great inspiration for a cog fort too. 

It's really good idea. That design would be perfect for Shyish.

I came up with Middenheld - cogfort created from mountain (thanks to combined efforts of Ironweld Arsenal and Collegiate Arcane). It was sent as a crusade force into the Mortal Realms. It's crew consists of human soldiers (with empire-like design) and Duardin engineers and miners.

7 hours ago, michu said:

It's really good idea. That design would be perfect for Shyish.

I came up with Middenheld - cogfort created from mountain (thanks to combined efforts of Ironweld Arsenal and Collegiate Arcane). It was sent as a crusade force into the Mortal Realms. It's crew consists of human soldiers (with empire-like design) and Duardin engineers and miners.

Gotta get out the foam board and make it a reality

Edited by Oath Stoned

Man, this thread is such a reaction drain. You guys are insanely awesome! :D

Didn 't cog forts come up first in a passing r e ference in the S OH story that set up the game? Or was it in City of Secrets?"

Yeah, their first mention was towards the end of 2016 after the Seeds of Hope campaign finished. Among the information of Alarielle giftingbthe Living City to mortals and reconciling with the Wanderers, we got some more lore that Hammerhal was in full drive of reclaiming the lands in Aqshy by unleashing "massive mobile forts". It was this reconquest which lead to the sub-plot of cities like Hammerhal having to deal with hordes of "Reclaimed" refugees who are discriminated against for living under chaos for so long.

""Had a cool idea.

How about a GW model of a cogfort that goes with the much hoped for free armies battletome. Except, it would be a terrain piece.

A moveable piece of terrain that provides buffs and has some kind of gun(s) that can be used when you have units in range or on it.

It would allow them to express the scale of a cogfort, better than a KO scale a t least. The Gloomtide size comes to mind . Which make me lol think ing about how much bigger the Gloomti de is than a  KO Ironclad.

Thats all i got so far.""

Aaand this is why I remember that 2016 info so clearly. :D

As soon as I read about them back then I immediately imagined this very thing for an Order version of the Dreadfort but more like a Necromunda set-up.

Multiple small gun emplacements to fight over for more fire power.

Armored railings for effective cover.

Damaged steam vents that make dangerous terrain but can obscure enemy line of sight.

Wizard stations that can give a caster various controls or amplify their power for protective barrier spells or d eck clearing electric bolts.

Giants cogs enchanted with Chamon realm metal that boosts nearby troops with it's beyond natural rhythm so they can perform a long distance forced march.

And since it's moving the wind currents mess with flyers and inhibit their movements. (Unless you r caster can chang e things with the wizar d station)

Edited by Baron Klatz
Woo boy did I mess up the quotes. xD

So I haven't been thinking of constructing a Cogfort itself, but I do have plans on making an Order army that represents troopers who are actually stationed on a Cogfort.  I want to make them into a quasi-Steampunk army, with an old-school German aesthetic.  

My plan is to use regular Free Guild models, plus the following conversion bits, with some Green Stuff hoses connecting the backpack tank with the gas masks:

pickelhelm-gas_1000x.jpg?v=1494126620

chem-backpacks-2_1000x.jpg?v=1495426945

HP-30.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Oath Stoned said:

@mikethefish i like the helmets. Looks like the assassin guy from hellboy. The dark german look could look good for a Shyish/Ulgu army. Or the gasmasks can be used for Ghyran, then say they need the masks to fight nurgle. Lore does have cogforts in Ghyran already. Ive also pictured Sylvaneth having limbs replaced by cogwork.

They are old WW1 helmets - always liked the way they looked.

I could easily see gas masks as a requirement for Ghyran, since I bet there's a ton of spores, pollen, pheremones and lord knows what else floating in the air.  It doesn't even have to be because of the Nurgle influence.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

That's awesome!

Also Warhammer community tweet has another cool project.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RLRSmith88/status/1266632802319183874

"

Over a year ago I made my first Cogfort, I largely winged it for this beast as i didnt have any preconceptions as to what it "should" look like, I've yet to start work on number two as having made one I expect more of the second.

EZP70ZeXsAEHcBI?format=jpg&name=360x360

EZP70ZfXYAE6aCR?format=jpg&name=small

EZP70aPWoAQR7Ac?format=jpg&name=360x360

EZP70bEXYAAbkAa?format=jpg&name=small

Very nice mix of the realms style for steampunk and nobledark themes. :D
  • Like 2

Maybe this is a useful information for all you Cogfort aficionados, in the new Cities of Flame supplement for Soulbound, produced by Cubicle7, there is an adventure centered around a Cogfort! That specific cogfort "Greenskin's Despair" is described as being a 200 feet tall structure, on six giant mechanical legs. Armed with fifty cannons, two volley cannons, and crewed by 500 Handgunners, 50 crewmen (engineers, drivers, stokers) and also 30 Fyreslayers.

• Like 3

It's really nice they're getting represented in Aqshy and now with Fyreslayers onboard to enhance that flavor.

I still remember after the Seeds of Hope campaign's aftermath towards the end of 2016 when their was a lore blurb of vast lands being reclaimed in the realm of fire thanks to giant mobile fortresses. They wouldn't get the name "Cogfort" until Malign Portents but it's in the realm of fire they made their first glorious appearance and it's so awesome that's getting built further upon. :D

• Like 1

Thanks for the recent reactions, but im sorry to report that my obnoxious giant cogfort was scrapped a while ago.

I just hated the overall look. Ill will be redesigning soon a more modular cogfort specifically to be a warcry board and a 4x6 table crnterpiece.

Tyvm for the details from soulbound. I love gathering clues for what they should look like. And what you described match details from the short stories which is cool.

• Like 2