Rats, Plagues and Pleasures oh my! An armylist/tactics discussion

Swampmist

Hey there everybody! With the Generals Handbook and the Season of War just days away, I've been trying to mock up a list for anyone wanting to use the standard match play set up, aka 2000 ptspts, in my area. Sadly, I've been on vacation all weekend so I havent had a chance to confirm if my math was right or not, but based on the leaks from Atia this should fit. Tell me what you all think!

2x20 Clan Rats- Battleline Rats, Cheap, Swarmy, Bubblewrap 
2x20 Plague Monks- Glass Cannon Swarm, buff targets, Bubblewrap 
2x10 Plague Bearers- Symmetrical, tanky, annoyance, Battleline 
1x20 Daemonettes- High damage unit, can charge after being summoned, Extra battleline unit 
1x Poison Wind Mortar Team- Long range, High damage, chips away wothout needing LOS. Kills big units. 
1x Keeper Of Secrets- Super Fun Rules, Good Spell, great damage, Buffs Daemonettes 
1x ArchWarlock- Two spells a turn, centre of fluff, Generally awesome. Good AoE. Need help choosing a name!
1x Warp Lightning Cannon- BIG damage, good range, Dubbed the "Lord Celestant on Dracoth Killer" 
1x Plague Furnace- Good AoE damage, hreat in combat, makes Plague Monks amazing 
1x Herald of Slaanesh on Exalted Seeker Chariot- Crazy Damage, Fast, Murderous Distraction Carnifex 

I also have more nurgle daemons (1-2 starter sets minus the plague bearers,) assorted skaven (mostly the IOB stuff) and a slaanesh daemon prince. Any suggestions are welcome, will be happy to answer questions (especially fluff wise ;D)

Well you combined two of my favourite things, Skaven Skryre and Slaanesh Daemons, so thumbs up from me.

If I were running the list (not necessarily competetively) I'd want Seekers and more weapon teams, though I can see how the plaguebearers are a useful inclusion.

Thanks! I am mixing those with nurgle and Pestilens, so it's a bit of a mixing pot :P. The biggest problem is battleline units, and cost. One more unit of plague bearers also nets me another herad, three nurgling bases and three more Drones (start collecting box ftw) vs seekers which get me... Nothing :(. I do agree that grabbing some would be nice, and I plan to as I expand the army, but monetarily it's hard to grab. Similarly, weapon teams are hard. I do plan to grab a unit or two of Storm Fiends, and some more poison mortars (three for the price of a PlagueClaw Catapult while being easier to hide and dealing more consistent damage against hordes? Gets a thumbs-up from me!) but, again, that looks to be a ways off. Thank you though, I will certainly consider picking up more for the SlaaneshiSkryre!

EDIT: Oh yeah, just remembered why I brought the PlagueBearers: Plague Monks aren't a battleline unit unless you run a purely Pestilens army. So, assuming people want to play matched play, I need one more battleline unit than I would have without the plague bearers. I am tempted to try out using just one unit (depends on if I pick up another get started box) but I'm not sure what to fill the slot with at the moment...

Yeah as a Daemons of Chaos collector (previously focusing on Slaanesh > Tzeentch > Khorne >>> Nurgle), I admit I have just picked up the Start Collection Nurgle Daemons as well to round out the collection. It's a great set!  The one Greater Daemon (from the older range) I don't own is the Great Unclean One, though with the new Verminlord and Bloodthirsters looking so great, I am holding off and hoping for a new model!

Yeah, the start collecting boxes  are sweeeet! I really wish there was one for the Slaanesh daemons, because trying to get ahold of Daemonettes has been something of a challenge... Still, I'm excited to get playing and lore writing! Got a small skirmish game with my Dad tomorrow (I'm using skaven and he's gonna proxy for sylvaneth so I can show him the ropes) and it should be a blast!

Unfortunately I can't see the Slaanesh faction getting much attention for the moment, now that Slaanesh (the god) isn't part of the story.  They haven't even split the Slaanesh army into mortals and daemons like the other chaos gods, so there isn't actually a Daemons of Slaanesh faction for them to release a 'Start Collecting' for.  

I have new daemonettes and seekers (thus far unassembled) as well as the previous versions of both - and I must say, this is one of those occasions where I like the old models more (particularly those beautiful Seeker steeds)!  If that interests you at all, might be worth a look second hand.

no mention of which allegiance bonuses or magic items you take? These would be fairly important I think? With rats I would've thought the Crown of Command would be pretty useful. As a Pestilens player Lord Skrolk is an auto include for me as well, as is the legacy BSB.

I'm torn between an all Pestilens force or mix and matching for the allegiance bonuses. Doesn't seem much point in taking an all Pestilens force any more so I'm interested in combined lists like this.

5 hours ago, BrAiKo said:

Unfortunately I can't see the Slaanesh faction getting much attention for the moment, now that Slaanesh (the god) isn't part of the story. 

Rumour has it that the Slaanesh models are done. Just needs an appropriate window for release. I wouldn't expect them until late this year at the earliest as Act I of the story is wrapping up with the summer campaign.

6 hours ago, Swampmist said:

EDIT: Oh yeah, just remembered why I brought the PlagueBearers: Plague Monks aren't a battleline unit unless you run a purely Pestilens army.

Ouch...

7 hours ago, James McPherson said:

no mention of which allegiance bonuses or magic items you take? These would be fairly important I think? With rats I would've thought the Crown of Command would be pretty useful. As a Pestilens player Lord Skrolk is an auto include for me as well, as is the legacy BSB.

To be perfectly honest I haven't even looked into the legacy models yet, so I didn't plan on having any. I will look into skrolk though, if he's really that cool.

For the bonuses, I'm taking them mostly for fluff. My ArchWarlock has a Daemon Halverd, so he's getting a daemon weapon. Though, if I get another pestilens starter box, and with it the warscroll battalion, I might pick up a crown for either the Plague Furnace or the KOS. Trait-wise, I'm torn between Cunning Deciever and Lord of War (The ArchWarlock is a cunning, experienced Ratman, and he certainly knows how to whip his men into shape,) though Great Destroyer is a bit vague so it could also work.

Just now, Swampmist said:

To be perfectly honest I haven't even looked into the legacy models yet, so I didn't plan on having any. I will look into skrolk though, if he's really that cool.

Did you get the Virulent Horde? The hero model in that is Lord Skrolk. So with "legacy" in I'll definitely be running him. A 3+ to cause D6 mortal wounds is a needed boost.

4 minutes ago, Shane said:

Did you get the Virulent Horde? The hero model in that is Lord Skrolk. So with "legacy" in I'll definitely be running him. A 3+ to cause D6 mortal wounds is a needed boost.

I don't see that on the app, and the one from the Start Collecting doesn't have a plague priest. Where can I find it? Either way, I'm tempted to run the Clawpack with my pestilens, using either a basic cencer priest or skrolk (faq says that, as skrolk has the 'plague priest' keyword, he can be taken anywhere you can take a plague priest...) but I would need to re-run the numbers point-wise to figure out if that's a possibility.

31 minutes ago, Swampmist said:

I don't see that on the app, and the one from the Start Collecting doesn't have a plague priest. Where can I find it? 

'Plague Priest

That's the cheeky chappy. Now listed on the store as a Plague Priest. But he is/was Skrolk.

1 hour ago, Swampmist said:

No, I meant the Virulent Horde. Where do I find it? Skrolk is cool though, literally a better Plague Priest with censer, though probably more exspensive.

Ah, it was a limited boxset when the Pestilens book dropped:

25282-the-virulent-horde-500x400.jpg

29 minutes ago, Shane said:

Ah, it was a limited boxset when the Pestilens book dropped:

25282-the-virulent-horde-500x400.jpg

Just noticed that, yeah. I was thinking of picking one up, but someone else got to it first sadly. Well, the clawpack ain't bad either, and doesn't require a Verminlord, so it's fine.

Also if you were thinking of getting a second Start Collecting pestilens and weren't going to be taking a second Furnace, then there's your Plague Priest on foot option (I've magnetised mine so he can sit on front of the Furnace or on a 32mm round).

2 hours ago, BrAiKo said:

Also if you were thinking of getting a second Start Collecting pestilens and weren't going to be taking a second Furnace, then there's your Plague Priest on foot option (I've magnetised mine so he can sit on front of the Furnace or on a 32mm round).

Yup, that was my plan as well. Don't really want a screaming bell (mostly because i have no idea how to create the exodia build; if anybody knows I would love to hear your ideas!) Though, I did just get a bunch of models second-hand, one of which is a Warp-stone staff priest (which is awesome!) and the other is an old metal rat covered in skulls and wielding a swirly plague censer (I think?) Anyone know what he is\if i could run him as a censer priest, or is he just gonna be a cool looking censer bearer?

EDIT:

Picture of the model;

S7AVG1f.jpg

Mostly I ask because some people might find issue since the new censer priests have the books and he doesn't. I'll ask before I play him, but using him as a censer priest\Skrolk (if I can't get a skrolk model) would be cool.

In a friendly game, sure, but models on mounts are treated as one unit and can't normally disembark. That said, it would be a fluffy rule for Skaven to bail on their ride/friends when the going gets tough. I can imagine the furnace getting pushed into combat and the priest slipping out the back before it and the Skaven around it get slaughtered.

I reckon you should get to roll a die.

• On a 1 he waited too long and dies before being able to disembark.
  • On a 2-5 he jumps off, but like all good rats, realizes the battle is lost and runs away. He can then get a 'bonus' in the next battle, as he has gained experience.
  • On a 6 he jumps off and keeps fighting.

7 hours ago, pforson said:

I reckon you should get to roll a die.

• On a 1 he waited too long and dies before being able to disembark.
  • On a 2-5 he jumps off, but like all good rats, realizes the battle is lost and runs away. He can then get a 'bonus' in the next battle, as he has gained experience.
  • On a 6 he jumps off and keeps fighting.

sounds good!

Archived