Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xking

The Malign Portents Campaign, What Grand Alliance are you fighting for?

1 hour ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

That is a dirty word on this forum and you will now be lightly spanked with palm fronds to teach you the error of your ways.

kinky

I was originally planning on Death but I only have Tomb Kings and I'm thinking of selling them and my Fyreslayers. A great purge of models so I can focus on my Seraphon.

So the legions of Cueyatl will march (zap?) to war in Shyish!

really wanting to go DoK (order) killing two birds here and getting a leg up before their new stuff hits. However I also have my Astral Templars on my workbench at the moment so might end up using them... whichever way I go it's looking like GA order.

Edited by TheParallax

Wanderers! For the Forest! Life's ebb and flow and the cycle of the seasons are sacred, and Nagash threatens it all with his monstrous vision of complete and utter order. I love how the motivations for my army are remarkably similar to the motivations of a Nurgle army, but that we [strongly] disagree on the key points of how many arms and legs things should have and whether or not one's intestinal tract should be exposed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Representing Chaos with Blades of Khorne. Hopefully with a fully painted Skarrbrand as my general 

Destruction! 

Gone for Ironjawz SC and going to build from there, already have a sizable Moonclan force so going to mix up the heavy hitting  with the crazy mushroom magic for 'da biggest Waaaaagh! gonna ever be

In all the years I've been collecting this will be the first campaign I've jumped into, really looking forward to it

Ive finally reached my goal of having at least 1k painted for a bunch of factions so ill be rotating thru ironjaws, flesh-eaters, beastclaws, khorne, dispossessed and freeguild. Looking forward to it!

6 hours ago, awcamawn said:

Wanderers! For the Forest! Life's ebb and flow and the cycle of the seasons are sacred, and Nagash threatens it all with his monstrous vision of complete and utter order. I love how the motivations for my army are remarkably similar to the motivations of a Nurgle army, but that we [strongly] disagree on the key points of how many arms and legs things should have and whether or not one's intestinal tract should be exposed.

Every faction but death works for the Grand Father - including the other chaos gods. They just don’t realise it. At least you’re not in denial like some. 

• Haha 1

Unlikely I get to play, but if I do, Death.

Most likely going to move towards Legion of Sacrament, really like playing Arkhan in TW and it is the one most likely to mesh well with the combo of mostly Nighthaunt, Deathrattle and Deathmages I have flying around (crossing my fingers for battleline Spirit hosts).

Chaos with Blades of Khorne offcourse :D 

But having said that it's unlikely I'll add the Darkoath Queen to those forces. There is no real use for her in anything based on Warscroll.

1 hour ago, Killax said:

it's unlikely I'll add the Darkoath Queen to those forces. There is no real use for her in anything based on Warscroll.

I still think that might change. Something with reading the portents or whatever. And maybe just when playing under the Time of Tribulations rules. We will see. But I share your reservations.

My first Daugthers of Khaine just arrived, so I'll fight for Order.

1 hour ago, Killax said:

But having said that it's unlikely I'll add the Darkoath Queen to those forces. There is no real use for her in anything based on Warscroll.

Same with the Lord-Ordinator for me, since I don't like the model and I got no war machines. But it might change, depanding on the abilities heralds get for the MP campaign.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mandano said:

I still think that might change. Something with reading the portents or whatever. And maybe just when playing under the Time of Tribulations rules. We will see. But I share your reservations.

Yeah quite a lot might change but still the model doesn't fill in a particular role that isn't available to StD armies. E.g. Sayl allready does a movement boost far superior to this in Slaves to Darkness, the Bloodstoker boosts the Khorne unit movement far superior as this, the Great Unclean One with Bell gives 3" movement to all Nurgle units near him, the Tzeentch units allready have very impressive speed on their discs and so have the Saalnesh units.

So while I think the model certainly lends itself to some great conversions I don't really see why I should thake her anywhere in Chaos, because Skaven have completely no use for her whatsoever either. Unless we actually have to thake her, I deem it extremely likely I will not.

21 minutes ago, Faedryd said:

My first Daugthers of Khaine just arrived, so I'll fight for Order.

Same with the Lord-Ordinator for me, since I don't like the model and I got no war machines. But it might change, depanding on the abilities heralds get for the MP campaign.

Completely get that, but the one thing about the Lord-Ordinator at least is that out of the four he's most certainly the strongest and most impressive. I mean, I know my army can't handle that kind of nonsence for Order Warmachines. Just imagne for a second that you play mixed Order and thake as much Bolt Throwers/Cannons/whatever Warmachine is good as much as possible and simply obliterate key enemy units with it. Your opponent will have just one relevant Hero phase for all Heroes who need to be on the frontfield.

Sometimes I don't know what the design team is thinking with designs like this. The Destruction and Death variants are more or less where I expected them all to be. Potentially relevant for smaller games but otherwise just a decent additional hero. 

Edited by Killax
  • Like 1

My thoughts re: the Warqueen exactly. How does she fit in with my ratty fellows? Answer: she doesn't. Why should I buy her, GW...? I mean, I still will, because she's cool and I'm banking on there being an awesome new Darkoath faction at some point, but make an effort at least... but as far as Malign Portents go, for the February portion of the challenge, I'll be converting my own, more rodent-esque, herald from the Adeptus Mechanicus Dominus that I've seen some people do.

Edited by Kirjava13

Yeah, it's a shame that the reasons for anyone to field any of the heralds are so narrow and specific, especially as they were built up as characters that would have a wider role in the overall Grand Alliances. I'd assumed that Gutbusters would have a reason to take the Cave Shaman, Flesh-eater Courts would have a reason to take the Knight of Shrouds, etc. Sadly not. Yes, there will be additional reasons to field them if you're playing within the narrative rule-set of Malign Portents, but playing with those rules is going to be the exception rather than the rule for most players I imagine.

As my armies are ironjawz/destruction and maggotkin, I'm going by which character I prefer...

Itz krumpin' time you gits!