Lets Chat: Legions of Nagash

S133arcanite

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Craze said:

One question considering AoS2.0: Will anything else than Legion of Sacrament and/or Grand Host be even remotely viable from your point of view?

For me personally, not really until we get some plastic Vampires/Blood Knights.  However I can see some lists popping up.  Legion of Night with 3 Command Points in the bag could be pretty brutal - use three summonable units as your ambushers and then bring them back once they've been wiped out.

I play legion of night night all the time and the cogs spell plus the re roll charge command trait will make it a lot more reliable to get units in combat after they ambush on. 

Had a game last night using the new rules and proxied 40 Chainrasp and they are fantastic with a Guardian Of Souls nearby. One turn I popped +1 attack and to hit on them and they murdered some Blightkings

19 minutes ago, GutrotSpume said:

I play legion of night night all the time and the cogs spell plus the re roll charge command trait will make it a lot more reliable to get units in combat after they ambush on. 

Would you mind sharing your list?

1 hour ago, smucreo said:

What are those endless spells? I managed to miss them somehow. I'm guessing they are exclusive to the Nighthaunt allegiance?

Three endless spells were named on the leaked Nighthaunts points list from GHB. All we know are names and points costs.

37 minutes ago, Craze said:

Would you mind sharing your list?

At SCGTi took:

VLOZD

2 necros 

banshee

40 skellies

2 x 10 skellies

2 x hexwraiths

6 varghiest

mortis engine

got 4 wins 2 losses with this. I find just forcing an opponent to bubble wrap at the back AND worry about what might pop out of a grave sight really gives them lots to think about and they eventually make a mistake and leave a gap for 40 skellies or the 6 vargheist to ambush and cause them lost of problems. With the cogs making it easier to charge think this legion will be a lot better. I saw the leaked life artifacts and there’s one that heals D6 wounds once per game which would make the VLOZD even more survivable and as your general is the only one who can re summon dead units think it’s essential he stays alive as long as possible

6 hours ago, Craze said:

One question considering AoS2.0: Will anything else than Legion of Sacrament and/or Grand Host be even remotely viable from your point of view?

With GW's track record of "balance", I'm impressed that half of the Legions are even seeing play. I think we'll see LoS drop off as people realize Lords of Sacrament is not worth the 310 point tax of taking a Mortis Engine and the Battalion, and then having to cluster around a single point rather than projecting force Arkhan/your necromancers. Anyone else think that Lords of Sacrament feels like a trap option? When I look at what I can take in exchange and how it's performed for me so far, I just feel really meh about it. Fewer drops and the command point are nice, but I just found that if I really want the extra spell casts I'll invest in a vortex/cogs.

That, and there's something romantic about giving skeletons and Morghast an extra attack in Grand Host. That being said, I feel like we're gonna see a lot of spellcasting regardless, especially when you consider that you can block movement with the Palisade and Gravetide models. You can shut down entire lines of approach and complicate pile-ins on objectives deliciously well.

I think Legion of Night will still be among if not the top undead legion thanks to outflanking gheists, ghasts, and wizards.

I'm still trying to make lords of sacrament work.  Spellportal helps the positioning thing a lot, and palisades helps with the vulnerability of the casters and mortis.  In the end, though, I feel you'll prove correct, and the formation will just be too pricey to work.

Even without the formation, the casty bonus for legion of sacrament should prove useful in 2e, especially if the realm of battle rules carch on more than they did in 1e.

Legions of nagash, with or without the big guy, should do fine.

Legion of blood...  unfortunately the price drop for blood knights was nowhere near aggressive enough (i don't see them as being worth a point over 200, personally), and was completely cancelled out by the price hike on castellans.  I don't think the legion is *unplayable*, the leadership penalty is still nice, as is the attack boost for VLoZD, but they definitely strike me as still the weakest of the lot.  Maybe next year's GH will fix them, because the LoB problem really is a points cost one more than anything else.

It's only go up 60 points and 50 of that is a command point. Which we'd want anyway?

Also the increased casting will help reduce unbinding as that now sits at 30" range. Arkhan would have +4 to cast rather than +2. Would help against something like WoK bloodthirster that has a built in plus 2 to unbind etc. Every little helps in what looks like a very magic focused edition.

Also extra spells will help cover casting and dispelling endless spells and still getting off other ones.

Then if you use realm spells then don't all wizards know all from that realm during the battle? (I'm not 100% on how that all works)

Honnestly, we are a bit too much thinking "the old way". We have to see if the bataillions are worth the tax IN FRONT of the new possibilities, especially the commands points which IMHO will weight a lot in 2.0.

If we don't take the battaillion, it is hundreds of non spent points that we can spend elsewhere, in particular in CP , units, and Magic. I'm trying to think this way from now on....

After reading loads off speculation on what will be good in the 2. edt, there is one thing i wonder. Some guys wrote that you can pick Nagash and Arkhan in LoS and combo the mirror spell with Hand off dust and Arkhans comandabilety.  But in the book it stands that you can't pick Nagash in a LoS list.  You can pick Arkhan and Nagash in a Grand hoste list, but the +1 to cast form LoS is really nice. Are there any FAQ changes i have not read about Nagash  in LoS?

1 hour ago, Tobjen99 said:

After reading loads off speculation on what will be good in the 2. edt, there is one thing i wonder. Some guys wrote that you can pick Nagash and Arkhan in LoS and combo the mirror spell with Hand off dust and Arkhans comandabilety.  But in the book it stands that you can't pick Nagash in a LoS list.  You can pick Arkhan and Nagash in a Grand hoste list, but the +1 to cast form LoS is really nice. Are there any FAQ changes i have not read about Nagash  in LoS?

U dont need this... u can play lon or first cohort with corpse cart +1 to cast. But Nagash dont need this... In my local meta Nagash faces Tzeench army with 4 Archai and unbind everithing. Noone wants kill Nagash first, so they try to kill 4 archai for 4 turns..

7 hours ago, smucreo said:

What are those endless spells? I managed to miss them somehow. I'm guessing they are exclusive to the Nighthaunt allegiance?

Mortalus Terminexus - 60
Shyish Reaper - 40
Vault of Souls - 40

2 hours ago, Tobjen99 said:

They might have meant Nagash and Arkhan in a Grand Host using the Lords of Sacrament battalion, which is doable.

Hi mates,

I'm new to Age of Sigmar and all of table top so please be gentle. ;-)

I already read that some of you had the idea to use Nagash and Arkhan together with the spell portal.

Here would be my idea:

Leaders:

- Nagash (800):
Spell 1:  Overwhelming Dread
Spell 2:  Fading Vigour
Spell 3:  Armarathine Orb

- Arkhan (320):
Spell : Vile Transference

- Necromancer (110):
Spell: Soul Harvest
Artifact: ?

Units:
- 40x Skeletons (280)
- 40x Skeletons (280)
- 5x Dire Wolves (60)

Endless Spells:
- Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total Points: 1910

So there would be 40 Points space for any other Endless Spells and 50 Points for another Command Points.

The Warscroll of Nagash and Arkhan says:

Nagash: "He knows the Arcane Bolt, Mystic Shield, Hand of Dust and Soul Stealer spells, as well as any spells known by other Death Wizards on the battlefield."
Arkhan: "Arkhan also knows the spells of any Death Wizard that is within 18" of him."

Would that mean both could use all spells i've choosen and their iconic spells? Like would Arkhan also be capable of using Hand of Dust?
I'm also not sure what artifact i should give the necromancer or which endless spells i should also take.

I'm thankful for any advice. :-)

Yep! That's exactly what it means. Both can use each other spells (although Arkhan will need to be in range). Considering you have tons and tons of skellies, maybe you could go for the Ossific Diadem? If not I've found some success with the Gravesand Timeglass, so that's another one to consider.

31 minutes ago, smucreo said:

Yep! That's exactly what it means. Both can use each other spells (although Arkhan will need to be in range). Considering you have tons and tons of skellies, maybe you could go for the Ossific Diadem? If not I've found some success with the Gravesand Timeglass, so that's another one to consider.

Thanks for your feedback, Smucreo. So that would mean, I could set up the umbral spellportals and use Arkhan's comand ability to kick the enemy's backline with two Hands of Dust with 9" range and two Curse of Years and some more spells like  Amarathine Orb? Meanwhile  my necromancer is pushing with 80 Skeletons and a vanhel's dance?

13 minutes ago, Sneedlewoods said:

Thanks for your feedback, Smucreo. So that would mean, I could set up the umbral spellportals and use Arkhan's comand ability to kick the enemy's backline with two Hands of Dust with 9" range and two Curse of Years and some more spells like  Amarathine Orb? Meanwhile  my necromancer is pushing with 80 Skeletons and a vanhel's dance?

Well you can shoot of each spell only once per turn, but in essence that is correct.  Don't forget to use debuffs like Overwhelming Dread .^^

19 minutes ago, Sneedlewoods said:

Yeah, you could start the game off with a nasty hand of dust + curse of the years + other things like amarathine orb, vile transference or soul harvest! It really has some great potential.

1 hour ago, Amradiel said:

I'm picking up the Soul wars box next weekend. I read that you can use the Nighthaunt units in a Legions of Nagash army. But Chainrasp hordes won't be battleline in that case? 

In the leaked bits and pieces I've seen, everything points to them being generic Battleline so would be OK to use in a Legions army as such

Archived