Lets Chat: Legions of Nagash

S133arcanite

1 hour ago, smucreo said:

If they are not battleline (which I'd say they probably won't be) I don't feel they are that good as skellies replacement. If they are, I may have to seriously consider them. But unless they are dirt cheap and battleline I don't see them replacing the wolves in my current lists. We'll see though! The models are really cool so any excuse to use them would be nice! 

For the chain rasp I think they would be Battleline if nighthaunt alliance or inside a possible legion of grief alliance 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ahn-ket said:

For the chain rasp I think they would be Battleline if nighthaunt alliance or inside a possible legion of grief alliance 

I'm hoping that they might also be if Nagash is your general.  Keeping fingers crossed that Nagash can quite literally take any kind of army he fancies (which would also tie in with the mega battle rules!)

26 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I'm hoping that they might also be if Nagash is your general.  Keeping fingers crossed that Nagash can quite literally take any kind of army he fancies (which would also tie in with the mega battle rules!)

Maybe but why he couldn't do it with spirit hosts and hexwraith 

Chainrasps are 'meh' enough that I think they could work as battleline by default, I don't see why you would restrict them to nighthaunt only.  Honestly, in a nighthaunt army, I'm not sure why you would ever take them over spirit hosts or hexwraiths, if those are still battleline options for them.

6 hours ago, Sception said:

Chainrasps are 'meh' enough that I think they could work as battleline by default, I don't see why you would restrict them to nighthaunt only.  Honestly, in a nighthaunt army, I'm not sure why you would ever take them over spirit hosts or hexwraiths, if those are still battleline options for them.

you sound like you have never played pure nighthaunt then

chainrasps are great to fill the hole of bodies that nighthaunt lacked, depending on points i would be taking a big unit for board denial & a tar pit with the dude that brings d6 back (horde immune to rend & can replenish is OP)

also, would help nighhaunt so much with current scenarios like total conquest & scorched earth

2 hours ago, Josh said:

you sound like you have never played pure nighthaunt then

chainrasps are great to fill the hole of bodies that nighthaunt lacked, depending on points i would be taking a big unit for board denial & a tar pit with the dude that brings d6 back (horde immune to rend & can replenish is OP)

also, would help nighhaunt so much with current scenarios like total conquest & scorched earth

They're probably pointed out appropriately to reflect that.  Need to wait and see.

No rend, but only 5+ save, and with no frightful tough their offense is very limited.  2 attacks base is nice, but no reach means you won't be getting most of a big unit in to swing.  So mostly they're etherial bodies.  Not bad at all, points depending, but still a unit i would expect to just be battleline by default.

6 hours ago, Sception said:

No rend, but only 5+ save, and with no frightful tough their offense is very limited.  2 attacks base is nice, but no reach means you won't be getting most of a big unit in to swing.  So mostly they're etherial bodies.  Not bad at all, points depending, but still a unit i would expect to just be battleline by default.

man the game is bigger than blowing the unit up with mortal wounds & infinity attacks

I run 30 dire wolves in one unit, not because they are good at killing anything but because its 60 wounds that is LD 13, not susceptible to a gaunt summoner & had stupidly good board presence 

I can imagine this unit minus the gaunt summoner point, would be a solid choice

Chainrasps are meh from a LoN perspective, but imo they are great from a pure nighthaunt one. I played pure Nighthaunt a couple of times and I always had trouble scoring in certain scenarios due to low model units, but with a big unit of these I can see many of the problems being solved. Sure, they won't kill much, but they will be there for a while with the proper support.

I'm stoked for the Myrnmourn Banshees. We don't have a Warscroll yet, but since they are described as "diabolical wizard-hunters with the power to feast on magical energy" they might be a good fit for LoN armies that don't go all out magic with Nagash and Arkan or similar shenanigans to counter enemy magic.

2 hours ago, Josh said:

man the game is bigger than blowing the unit up with mortal wounds & infinity attacks

I run 30 dire wolves in one unit, not because they are good at killing anything but because its 60 wounds that is LD 13, not susceptible to a gaunt summoner & had stupidly good board presence 

I can imagine this unit minus the gaunt summoner point, would be a solid choice

And dire wolves are also battleline by default.  I'm not saying chainrasps look bad at all, I think they look alright, points depending.  The point about bodies in scenarios is well taken, so yeah they'll have more of a role in nighthaunt lists than I initially gave them credit for, coming from the perspective of a LoN player spoiled for bodies.

But even so, they look like a 'just-battleline' unit, not a 'battleline-if-X-allegiance' unit.  They look more akin to clan rats or skeleton warriors or crypt ghouls, not storm vermin or grave guard or crypt horrors.  They have some nice things going for them, but they're clearly the 'regular dudes' of their faction.

8 hours ago, Sception said:

I don't think they are on the board for damage purposes... Depending if Nighthunt retains their all over the board Deep Strike ability I can see these guy happily tar pit some high rend units with their invurnerable save. Put them in the way of something or on a mission objective and be happy....

Also, as was already said, pure Nighthunt needs bodies and I think they will fit well.  And with LoN and Legions Innumerable you can let them pop up again.

All fair points, but they /still/ look like the sort of generic troopers that I would expect to be just plain old battleline.  I mean, their most distictive special rule is one that extsts to point out how elite they /aren't/.

I agree with sception on this one, I expect them to be plain battleline both in NH and LoN. They will absolutely rock in NH by bringing bodies, as mentioned already, but they dont really pack enough of a punch to warrant a specific general requirement. 

If the Chainrasps do end up being death BL and they are in the 60-80 pts per 10 range,I may just replace my min Direwolf BL units with them.Combined with Nagash`s command ability,they have more survivability and are easier to regrow,  and they pretty much on par with the wolves offence,which is minimal.
 The speed would be the only issue,but summoning in on a gy would probably make up for that.

@Thostos Same, if they end up being battleline and their point cost is around 80 for 10 I would replace my skellies for them in a heartbeat, and the direwolves depending on the list. In fast lists I'd still grab direwolves.

Edit: on second thought, even at a 100 I'd probably still use them over skellies.

I see them being the same or slightly more points than skeletons.  In that I expect them to be 100 points for 10 (or 10 points apiece, if the handbook does away with batch pricing), where as I expect skeletons to either stay put at 80 for 10 or increase to 100 for 10.  Yeah, rasps are tougher, and will work way better in blocks of 10 or 20, but max hordes of skeletons have /way/ more offensive punch, plus unit command (don't underestimate that minimum charge distance or leadership penalty), plus even with the various nighthaunt options we've seen so far, skeletons still have more buffing potential.

Skeletons will still be the best battleline for maximum offense, dire wolves will still be the fastest, these would end up being a sollid tar pit with some punching potential.  Zombies should be the zero offense, all tarpit unit, but they really don't manage to pull off even that at the moment.  In general, I'd still see skeletons as the preferred battle line infantry for grand host armies that can buff them to high heaven, though the other legions would likely swap infantry preference to these new chainrasps, as they mostly use battleline for tar pits or objective camping while their spellcasters/vampires/outflanking morghasts & terrorgheists do the heavy lifting.  Which honestly makes sense to me.

But that's just idle speculation for now.

Precisely that. For Grand Host lists that buff deathrattle go skellies, for lists that just fill battleline and while they're at it they use said battleline units as tarpit, I'd go chainrasps, and for fast lists like Legion of Blood I'd go for wolves. 

With the arrival of my Dire Wolves, I can finally fill battleline requirements for my mounted army.  The Skeleton Warriors will be summoned as far forward as possible first turn.  Spirit Hosts will be summoned after a juicy target has moved near a Gravesite.

The points are a little low.  I can either bump up each Skeleton Unit to 20, or switch to GA:Death and add my skeleton horse archers (I only have 2 of 3 chariots. so pfft).  I prefer to use the Legion of Night for the Save bonus. I can also split my Dire Wolves into 2 units of 15 and make the Skeletons a single block of 40.

If I get enough new mounted stuff from 2.0 (and I think I will), I can move the Wolves to 3 battlelines of 10 and eliminate the foot soldiers.  Looking forward to more horses!

Legion of Night

Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Command Trait : Supernatural Horror
- Nightmare
- Artefact : Ring of Immortality
- Lore of the Vampires : Blades of Shyish
Vampire Lord (140)
- Nightmare
- Lore of the Vampires : Amethystine Pinions
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages : Overwhelming Dread
30 x Dire Wolves (320)
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
-Ancient Spears
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
-Ancient Spears
10 x Black Knights (240)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
1 x Black Coach (120)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
Mortis Engine (180)

TOTAL: 1810/2000 WOUNDS: 162

12 hours ago, Josh said:

run 30 dire wolves in one unit,

Dire Wolves suck!!! Worst unit ever, can’t do c*£b!!! Who ever field them is actively aiming for fairness trophy...  ;-D

#dontgivethemideas

3 minutes ago, Honk said:

Dire Wolves suck!!! Worst unit ever, can’t do c*£b!!! Who ever field them is actively aiming for fairness trophy...  ;-D

#dontgivethemideas

you know how it is ;) 

Archived