Lets Chat: Legions of Nagash

S133arcanite

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Legions of Nagash more or less supplants the death alliance outright.  Supposedly the new nighthaunt will at least in part be added, which means when GW get around to giving the tomb kings the warhammer legends treatment flesh eater courts will be the only death units not in the undead legions.  So, yeah, i do think its a bit awkward that the ghouls are only 'allies'.

And their own allegiance is in a bit of an awkward position in how terms of their limited allies, and having to throw most of a box of models in the trash to get their lesser heroes, and how dependant they are on those heroes despite how easily sniped they are, even in the new edition.

They really need a 2.0 treatment themselves, with some new models and units, some better tools for protecting their heroes, some more open ally options,maybe some command abilities to boost existing troops any turn, not just summon new ones only one turn per game, etc.

They will benefit from the new core rules, particularly summoning, items, and spells, and they have fome formations that make for workable army foundations, particularly outflanking ghouls or killier flayers.  But all the armies they currently lag behind will benefit as much or more from those same rules, and their limited unit and modelbrange, particularly the terribly gimmick of using tegular models for heroes which wastes the other models in the box, will remain.

Personally, I am incredbly hyped for this new edition, since it has practically ticked every single thing I wanted in a new edition, in some shape or form. 

Death, and even Legions of Nagash in specific, is going to getting a whole truck ton of new units and models to play around with, not to mention a whole new army for Death in general; plus, Nighthaunt are predestined for a strong release as a seperate faction, due to being included as the opposing faction in the new Starterbox and already having some great thematic powers, so they'll be an auto pick up for me.

Shooting wise, I am glad that something was done about Hero sniping, even if it was as relatively minor as the -1 to hit, which when coupled with Death's innate debuffing abilities, can honestly be pretty crippling.  What I'm much more exicted for is the enemy being unable to shoot out of combat; that can really ruin just about anyones day, especially Freeguild, Stormcast or Kharadron. 

Magic getting some support is also huge; I love that we're getting some really thematic spells, as well as the Purple Sun. It should really help create a lot of interesting unit interactions, and change the magic phase in general. Not to mention that Death has some of the strongest magic in the game at the moment to boot in the form of Nagash and Masters of Sacrament. Although the loss of Mystic Shield will certainly hurt Skeletons, Dire Wolves and any low save units quite a bit; Re-rolls do us no good if we don't get a save due to rend.

Command points are going to be super duper deadly for us, to due some really phenomanal command abilities that often get over looked due to being lack luster general choices. Coven Throne, Vampire Lord on foot and Wight King all come to mind. This also helps lessen the weakness of having to make our Mortarchs our generals by some degree.

Turn Priority is a nifty little bonus to us, I'll say that much, since we suffer on double turns the most.

Summoning is the only part I'm sort... iffy on.  Not in the regards of how good it will be; Its certainly going to be great for anyone with access to it, but it'll be intresting to see how they balance it. 

Im skeptical but not worried about summoning.  Worst case it's broken as heck and they just kill it with errata a few weeks or months into the new edition.

What I most am is excited.  There are some changes i wish went further, and just this one i think maybe goes too far, but all of it is in the right direction, and so much is just super exciting.  Endless spells in particular sound super cool.

And of course, nothing is so exciting as a whole new nighthaunt faction with tons of amazing new models, and the very first time in warhammer history that we've had an undead army in the starter box.

Death will have a lot of oportunities in AoS 2.

But I'm worrying about the mixing of nighthaunt and the other death factions: is it possible? Neferata in a NH army? VLoZD in a NH army? Even Nagash doesn't have the keywords....

Please enlight me

Currently Nighthaunt can only ally with Deathlords and Soulblight if I'm not mistaken. As the examples you talk about don't have the keyword Nighthaunt they'd have to go as allies, which means that they are restricted by the 400 point limit, so no VLoZD or Nagash, or even Mannfred I'm afraid. Nef can still be used as an ally, but for now she's not that worth it without being your general. That is probably going to change with the new edition since you'll be able to use her command ability regardless of whether or not she's the general, so she may be useful then. 

Anybody able to offer some advice in army building and tactics to a fellow necromancer? 

Despite years in the hobby I’ve only started playing AoS recently and only have three games with the grand host of Nagash under my belt.

Im having problems with my brothers idoneth deepkin. We play 2000 points and I usually take Nagash; skeleton hoarde, large graveguard unit and the fill out with necromancers fell bats and a morghast (or four)

the problem im having is losing too many wounds to sniping, Volturnos and them blasted laviadons. 

Unfortuantely we don’t have access to much scenery at the moment and generally play to total destruction rather than a battle plan. 

I have accesss to a lot of undead models (25 years of collecting) so can field the majority of units.

I’m leaning towards manfred and perhaps legion of night rather than grand host but would welcome suggestions from those who play more regularly 

thanks

42 minutes ago, Dave8210 said:

Unfortuantely we don’t have access to much scenery at the moment and generally play to total destruction rather than a battle plan. 

That's probably the main problem. Depending on your lists, it's reasonable to assume that one is just markedly stronger than the other in a straight up battle, so battleplans and terrain are pretty much mandatory to make up for that. Not to mention that your games will generally be much more interesting and varied this way.

1 hour ago, CaptainNippon said:

Not to mention that your games will generally be much more interesting and varied this way.

Fair comment and something we were going to start doing next time around. I’ve certainly enjoyed playing as we have - with daughters of khaine and stormcast armies.

so with terrain and a battleplan what are people’s thoughts? I certainly still want to take Nagash. Will he get his points back? How best to use him? How can I rid my foe of Volturnos?

11 hours ago, Dave8210 said:

I certainly still want to take Nagash. Will he get his points back? How best to use him?

Don't be shy with him. Get him into the thick of it as quickly as you can. I pack mine full of healing spells to keep him going but have you considered using your morghast as bodyguards? Forget the name of the battalion (stuck at work) - it's crazy expensive but crazy good at keeping him alive.

12 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Don't be shy with him. Get him into the thick of it as quickly as you can. I pack mine full of healing spells to keep him going but have you considered using your morghast as bodyguards? Forget the name of the battalion (stuck at work) - it's crazy expensive but crazy good at keeping him alive.

It's the first cohort you think of which is the best way to use nagash

AoSFFNighthaunt2-June5-Warscroll4wf.jpg

It's been confirmed that you can use these in a LoN army, so I'm currently thinking that (depending on points) they'd fit quite nicely as an alternative to units of 10 skeletons.  Unmodifiable 5+ save, 2 attacks, 6" flying move and most importantly can be healed by gravesites/legions innumerable.  Thoughts?

If they are not battleline (which I'd say they probably won't be) I don't feel they are that good as skellies replacement. If they are, I may have to seriously consider them. But unless they are dirt cheap and battleline I don't see them replacing the wolves in my current lists. We'll see though! The models are really cool so any excuse to use them would be nice! 

25 minutes ago, ZaelART said:

How will it work with fielding the new units in LoN? Will they say that their warscrolls count as being printed in the LoN book?

Not sure how it'll be done (I suspect an FAQ or Errata).  Here's the bit confirming though:

image.png.4e38cc0820b29e393bc268a99238b404.png

Archived