Lets Chat: Legions of Nagash

S133arcanite

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey! What are everyones thoughts on The First Cohort? I am 1-2 with my First Cohort list now and going into a 30-man tourney next weekend. I'm starting to think that The Cohort is a trap. The ability to transfer wounds has never come up in any of my three games. Reducing drops is nice, but I think 160p is too much. When taking Nagash you are already hard pressed for bodies, and The Cohort reduces your wound count even more. If you face an army with enough ranged damage output to take down Nagash, he will probably die anyway. What are your thoughts?

5 hours ago, jobume said:

Hey! What are everyones thoughts on The First Cohort? I am 1-2 with my First Cohort list now and going into a 30-man tourney next weekend. I'm starting to think that The Cohort is a trap. The ability to transfer wounds has never come up in any of my three games. Reducing drops is nice, but I think 160p is too much. When taking Nagash you are already hard pressed for bodies, and The Cohort reduces your wound count even more. If you face an army with enough ranged damage output to take down Nagash, he will probably die anyway. What are your thoughts?

No he won’t. I waded through  40 handgunners, two reaper bolt throwers, a hurricanum and a luminark and all buffed by the free people General (so hitting on twos, wounding on twos), and  he still made it into their front lines with enough power to eat most of my opponent’s army. First cohort makes Nagash very hard to kill indeed. Just be sure to keep the morghasts in cover whenever possible. (Keeping in Mind they need to stay near their boss In order to keep him...err...alive). The morghasts unfortunately will probably not make it. But they’ll do their job. Also important to note, morghasts Archai are better for this role. (Because of their 5+ mortal wound save) this means the formation can take nagash’s 4+ save, then his death save, then the 1st cohort save, then the five+ save on the morghasts, then the 6+ death save on the morghasts. That makes for a unit combo that is more immune to mortal wounds than any in the game. Take that, Lords of Change.

In my opinion, the first cohort is the only way to play Nagash. Or let’s say the easiest and savest way for him to be brought to the field.

your opponent has to remove the morghast first, befor he can reliably bring the hurt down, And Nagash with his bodyguards is a hard hitting wrecking ball.

Problem with that is Board Control and objective capping.  The battalion is very point intensive and if the opponent is able to get them stuck in a grind somewhere, while the victory points keep building up, even wiping your opponent in round 4/5 might not be enough.

Played battle for the pass against ironjawz, wiped him in late third turn, but it still was a very close game, since he held both the objectives in the middle the whole time....

I'm 5 wins and  0 loses with first cohort, but can see where it is lacking. Not sure I will continue to run it. 

So far I have played Skyborne slayers twice, Fyreslayers, Archaon nurgle and a nurgle daemon army. Not found any issues army Vs army, but the scenario score has always been very close. Nagash hasn't ever taken more than 3 wounds. Morghasts have died in every game by turn 3. 

List I have been running

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead(800)
- General
- Lores of the Dead Spell 1: Decrepify (Deathmages)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 2: Vile Transference (Vampires)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 3: Prison of Grief (Deathmages)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Grave-sand Timeglass 
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
5 x Grave Guard (80)
- Wight Blades & Crypt Shields
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
2 x Morghast Archai (220)
- Spirit Halberds
The First Cohort (160)

Total: 1970 / 2000

The problems are definitely objective based. Nagash has to stay with his Morghasts, so you can't afford to take pinions. Personally I feel outside of things like KO, you can effectively screen against any alpha without the body guards. Against KO, they can probably kill Nagash turn one any way. 

Trying this next. 

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead(800)
- General
- Lores of the Dead Spell 1: Decrepify (Deathmages)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 2: Amethystine Pinions (Vampires)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 3: Prison of Grief (Deathmages)
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon(440)
- Deathlance
- Artefact: Balefire Lantern 
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

Total: 1990 / 2000

Should have the same impact on scenario play, but Nagash is free to run forward and VLoZD also is a good tag team partner or good to score on duality. 

hey guys, how's it going? I'm about to go to a pairs tournament with a friend who plays Disciples of Tzeentch. 1000 point per player to a total of 2000 per team, the objective is to score kill points by destroying more units than the rest in your games. Our local meta is very rush-heavy, with lots of aggresive Death Players, Orruks, and one particular guy which I know is going to bring 3x30 Witch Aelves. As such, our idea was to bring a multitude of screens while his mages do work and my morghast flank their important units (I'd be going for legion of night to get the +1 save on my 40 skelly screen and to get morghast in ambush), but we can't come up with a proper anti horde measure to beat the witch aelves guy, since the gaunt summoner deals mortals on 4 with his spell but if he goes Hagg-nar he can ignore them on 5+ and, to top it off, he can basically make his 3 units ignore battleshock so him losing witches like that isn't much of an option. 

My question is, what anti horde mechanisms do death players have that I can try to use? If not, how would you recommend we play against these rush match-ups? 

if you want chaff id be going zombies or wolves because they are cheaper

id be going LoS and get some extra range on your spells, use spectral grasp & fading vigor to mess with their movement & charges & counter with morghasts or prince V or a VLOZD 

i used the above strat against DoK on the weekend & got me a major win against them in total conquest

Ah, so the same I was thinking of then. Any recommendations on what my partner could use? Considering I'll be going 40 skellies, 10 dogs, 2 necros and 4 morghast for now, what do you think about a LoC, a Gaunt on Vortex, a Herald, the Blue Scribes and 2x10 Pink Horrors as a partner team?

hahah I told him the same but he insists he doesn't want to use skyfires anymore after playing with a spam list for a while, so I guess I'll have to convince him :P 

EDIT: Okay I think I've got the list of the guy with the Witch Aelves, just in case you were interested. It's this one:

image.png.a3981d2775d72b91a36dc9712742b4d9.png

On 2018-04-28 at 11:19 PM, jobume said:

I ended up playing the First Cohort in the tournament. It was a 38-man tournament, and it used a special 20-0 scoring system similar to the old ETC system. Major win on the scenario gave 15-5 and from there you could score additional points (and taking them from your opponent) for killing more units than you lost. I ended up going 7-13, 19-1,12-8,19-1,17-3 which was enough for 3rd place. My list was Nagash, Necro, Morghast, 40 skellies, 10 skellies, 10 skellies, 6 spirits. I liked the list, but I will probably try to play Nagash without the Cohort going forward.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I would like to buy 2x3 Direwolves, but as I absolutely hate the model I decided to take Fenrisian Wolves and give them a "ghostly" painting.

Which oval bases should I get for them additionally? Thanks!

25 minutes ago, Ahn-ket said:

There are oval bases in the fenrisian Wolve box that you can use but why you want 2x3 Wolves when they are 5-30 per unit

It was a typo of course, I want 2x5 Wolves.

On the GW Homepgae it says they come with round 40mm bases. As I am quite new to the hobby my concern is that this may lead to issues in legality of the models in official events.

59 minutes ago, Craze said:

On the GW Homepgae it says they come with round 40mm bases. As I am quite new to the hobby my concern is that this may lead to issues in legality of the models in official events.

Dire Wolves still come with squares afaik. Any guess on what round they will come packed with atm, is just that, a guess. 40s should be fine, and GW does not enforce base sizes or shapes themselves. Any other events you go to that have a problem with it are going to have to provide you with their own house ruled base size, and its possible that could vary from event to event.

2 hours ago, Craze said:

Yeah right it's 40mm rounds but you can use them or buy the 60by35 ovals

Archived