Lets Chat: Legions of Nagash

S133arcanite

3 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

I have a question. All the Deathly invocation stuff is at the start of the hero phase (both from heroes, the gravesites and the Grand host of nagash one). do they happen 'at the exact same time', or do I get to pick the order? also if I get to pick the order, can I use like the Grand host and the heroes first to trail a line to a gravesite to get them in range? (I wouldn't do that but we had that question come up at a game today as I accidentaly got in range with some DI'd skellies and the opponent pointed it out, and I agreed that that would seem a bit cheesy). 

mostly if I get the pick the order I could pick targets a bit smarter and avoid overkilling,  and I wouldn't have to declare all of them at once...

You pick the order of abilities when its your turn

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

I figured but my opponent said it would occur at the same time. Is that on a FAQ or something so I can deliver some sweet hard proof?

Look at the latest death FAQ regarding how saves work with the first cohort rules. All rules that trigger simultaneously happen in the order chosen by the controlling player.

1 hour ago, Mikeymajq said:

I have a question. All the Deathly invocation stuff is at the start of the hero phase (both from heroes, the gravesites and the Grand host of nagash one). do they happen 'at the exact same time', or do I get to pick the order? also if I get to pick the order, can I use like the Grand host and the heroes first to trail a line to a gravesite to get them in range? (I wouldn't do that but we had that question come up at a game today as I accidentaly got in range with some DI'd skellies and the opponent pointed it out, and I agreed that that would seem a bit cheesy). 

mostly if I get the pick the order I could pick targets a bit smarter and avoid overkilling,  and I wouldn't have to declare all of them at once...

You get to choose the order of resolution for abilities that happen to you at the same time.However I believe you are refering to the Legions Inumerable abilty when you are speaking of the Grand Host one?...this one does not state that it happens at the beggining of the Hero phase like the others do,,this may seem minor but its actually rather important if you are using Nagash in your list as it would be nice to try and use Legions Inumerable first on units that have multiwound models were one model has one or two wounds missing so as not to be forced to waste Nagash`s d3 rerollable on one...of course you would also need to do the Grave Markers first as well.

Also when you bring models back I would highly recommend setting them up in the most favorable way you can even if that does mean that you can perhaps reach another marker or even get within range to capture or contest an objective,,this is intended and totally legal to do.

Thanks for the clarifications. Oh I'd totally do it to get to objectives but getting within range of another DI/gravesite felt too cheap somehow xD

Won the game anyway, my first try with LoN, gotta say I really liked the new feel to the army. Finally my Deathrattle army feels like a threat 

1 hour ago, NinjaDetective said:

A stupid question, but if you roll locus of shyish does the opponent have to dispel twice? Im lretty sure its no cause it seems too overpowered otherwise

you only unleash locus of shyish if your spell is succesful so thats means the unbind failed

3 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

Follow up question. I choose the order of the abilities but I have to do lets say I use a gravesite, then I's have to continue doing all the grave sites before I trigger DI from a hero, right?

No I think you could decide the order of yourself within the hero phase. For example you could res from one grave sit in order to get in range of a hero, let that hero raise in order to get in range of a second grave site. If you want to you could even pause to cast a spell in the middle or do a damned sacrifice and then raise em back with a second hero. 

1 hour ago, Betelgeuse said:

No I think you could decide the order of yourself within the hero phase. For example you could res from one grave sit in order to get in range of a hero, let that hero raise in order to get in range of a second grave site. If you want to you could even pause to cast a spell in the middle or do a damned sacrifice and then raise em back with a second hero. 

But spells aren't "at the start of the hero phase" so no,  they'd have to wait to cast until after all start of phase abilities are done.

just been playing around with lists and i think im going to work on this one

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Vile Transference (Vampires)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Shroud of Darkness 
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
60 x Zombies (320)
4 x Morghast Archai (440)
- Spirit Halberds
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)

Total: 1960 / 2000

zombies are there to hang out & protect rear board edge/ objective sitter and or chaff
2 dire wolves for objective sitters

hammers are archai & spirit hosts with double pile in

wraiths are cheap baby sitters for hammers & can be choppy with horde units

necros do their thing

arkhan does his thing with 1 unit of dire wolves acting as bubble wrap or for the archai to fight over

I personally think its reasonably equipped to work in most scenarios 

Is it at all possible for Nagash to win against a KO Clowncar? I’m thinking he will automatically die on the first turn. Maybe there is enough space to protect him on Knife to the heart and Battle for the Pass? Do any of you have experience playing against KO with The Big Man?

So I've got the Blood Queen box but I want to get something to fill out the army. I can either go Deathrattle heavy and do a list like this 

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade(120)
- General
- Trait: Lord of Nagashizzar 
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Ossific Diadem 
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Decrepify
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
10 x Grave Guard (160)
- Great Wight Blades
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 77

Or I can do a Nighthaunt heavy list like this. 

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash

Knight of Shrouds (120)
- General
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Ossific Diadem 
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Decrepify
Cairn Wraith (60)
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)
- Ancient Blades
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
10 x Grave Guard (160)
- Great Wight Blades

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 68

Which of these looks better, comp wise? Which looks more fun? 

Pitching at ya'll another LoS list featuring Arkhan; I decided to take some of your advice, and add in a bigger hammer. Since I don't have access to a unit like Morghasts, I feel like the traditional VLoZD might be a decent replacement. I dropped the Corpse cart and such to pay for him, however.

- General
- Lore of the Dead: Soul Harvest (Deathmages)
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon(440)
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact: Wristbands of Black Gold 
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
Mortis Engine (180)
Lords of Sacrament (70)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 142

On 2018-03-06 at 9:16 PM, Undeadly said:

Pitching at ya'll another LoS list featuring Arkhan; I decided to take some of your advice, and add in a bigger hammer. Since I don't have access to a unit like Morghasts, I feel like the traditional VLoZD might be a decent replacement. I dropped the Corpse cart and such to pay for him, however.

- General
Vampire Lord (140)
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
Mortis Engine (180)
Lords of Sacrament (70)

I think this looks solid, but I don't have that much experience with death (only two games with Nagash). You could experiment with adding more screening units. I always find it very useful to have at least three screening units, to cover the board and protect my important pieces. You could for example drop the Vampire Lord and add in two more units of dogs.

45 minutes ago, jobume said:

I think this looks solid, but I don't have that much experience with death (only two games with Nagash). You could experiment with adding more screening units. I always find it very useful to have at least three screening units, to cover the board and protect my important pieces. You could for example drop the Vampire Lord and add in two more units of dogs.

Thanks! My major problem is that I simply don't have the models. I might not even be able to run the dogs, since their models are so hard to get right now.

Alright, so this is looking to be the final draft for my Tourny list at the moment; Although I feel like its lacking a bit of diversity in my Troop selection, I think that the power of Arkhan's magic should help supplement the VLoZD's offensive power, and allow the VLoZD to close in on the enemy, if they direct too much shooting into Arkhan. Meanwhile, Arkhan should be capable of blasting anything that comes too close.

The Skeletons are there to tie up objectives, and or be lobbed up the field towards the enemy. If something is going to get the enemy's attention, its 40 Skeletons getting dropped up the field and right into their lap. The Black Knights are for a similiar purpose; I have found some success by using them to alpha strike squishy units that come to close. I have gotten them to pop their charges most of the time by turn 1, if I'm lucky or using emissary of the master; unfortunately, I don't have that in this list.

The Necromancers should be obvious, but can really do some work if used right. Fading vigour and Overwhelming Dread are bonkers on a 9, and the bracers make them near impossible to kill in shooting.

As for the artifacts, the Shroud is obvious, but a lovely waste of shots against him. The only other choice is the Soul Cage, which sounds incredibly evil on a unit of Skeletons 

- General
- Lore of the Dead: Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Spears
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
5 x Black Knights (120)
Mortis Engine (180)
Lords of Sacrament (70)

On 3/6/2018 at 12:16 PM, Undeadly said:

- General
Vampire Lord (140)
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
Mortis Engine (180)
Lords of Sacrament (70)

Move the Shroud from the Vamp to the Necro casting Dread as he is way more important then the Vamp. Otherwise ice been looking at a similar list

So I'm trying to break the 1000pt mold of skeleton spam with LoN. This is what I came up with, focusing on target saturation. Morghast and Vampire (and maybe the dogs/spirits) ambush, the skeletons and whoever is left hug the necromancer and do their best. I'm not too sure it'll be any better than the 40x Skeleton lists, but it looks a lot more fun to paint/model/play against.

Allegiance: Legion of Night
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Trait: Unholy Impetus
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Shard of Night 
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)
- Ancient Blades
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds

Total: 970 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 71

On 3/8/2018 at 2:11 AM, RaritanAnon said:

So I'm trying to break the 1000pt mold of skeleton spam with LoN. This is what I came up with, focusing on target saturation. Morghast and Vampire (and maybe the dogs/spirits) ambush, the skeletons and whoever is left hug the necromancer and do their best. I'm not too sure it'll be any better than the 40x Skeleton lists, but it looks a lot more fun to paint/model/play against.

Allegiance: Legion of Night
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Trait: Unholy Impetus
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Shard of Night 
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)
- Ancient Blades
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds

Total: 970 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 71

I think you will be better served by 15 more Dire Wolves over the 20 skeletons.

10 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

If I want to play with Nagash. Should I use a Necromancer and many skeletons, or Arkhan and smaller units?  I really love their bromance so thats what I want to use. 

If you want to use Nagash effectively then your going to use The First Cohort. Which means a unit of Morghast then a combo of 3 units of skellies, GG, or Black Knights...not sure Arkhan can fit in there at that point

10 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

If you want to use Nagash effectively then your going to use The First Cohort. Which means a unit of Morghast then a combo of 3 units of skellies, GG, or Black Knights...not sure Arkhan can fit in there at that point

Nagash 

Arkhan 

10 x 3 Skeletons 

4 Morgasts 

The first cohort 

1960 if my math is correct.

But as I mentioned, a Necromancer with artefact might work better? And 40, 10 and another 10 Skeletons. 

17 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

I think you will be better served by 15 more Dire Wolves over the 20 skeletons.

Well this is my v2.0 of that list. I do plan on upping the skeletons to 40, but just starting out, I think this'll be just fine. I already have the 20 skeletons anyway, maybe drop the Cairn Wraith for 10 more skeletons? 

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Shard of Night 
Cairn Wraith (60)
Knight of Shrouds (120)
- General
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)
- Ancient Spears
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
10 x Dire Wolves (120)