Hello Everyone,

After a long hiatus from the Fantasy side of the hobby (I still play 40k quite a bit) I decided to dip my toes into 'Age of Sigmar' by getting into a Skirmish campaign with some players from my area. Seeing as I end up here every other time I google something related to AoS/Skirmish, I thought it would be a good idea to register and have a better look around. For the upcoming Skirmish campaign I'll be using and updating parts of my Dark Elf collection as they have been my go-to army for as long as I can remember, but I might branch out into other factions at a later time.

However most of my fantasy miniatures took quite a beating over the years; they need repairs, a fresh coat of paint, and round bases. I figured I would start a little plog on TGA to keep myself on track and maybe get some C&C.

Since I'll be working on my miniatures anyway I decided to try a new colour scheme, variety being the spice of life and all. So I did up a pair of Reaper Crewmembers as a test. Now the picure isn't very high quality, but it should get the general idea across. I quite like the green armour myself, but I'm not sure on the two different colours of "cloth". A couple of dreadspears will be getting a similar treatment over the weekend and I might try some different coloured robes on them to see. But any suggestions are more than welcome.

test.jpg

@Twitch of Izalith I agree on the bases; I ordered a bunch of 25mm bases last week and they should arrive any day now.

My main concern is with the colours I chose; I've painted a bunch of warriors over the weekend, and just can't find a colour combination I like that;

a) uses the green colour I want to use

&

b) looks like a dark elf

I might just go back to using the classic purple/metal scheme; it looks so good that it is hard to come up with alternatives :)

@Nutty I must admit that i shamelessly just copied the colour schemes from the packing for my dark elves! I never had them in warhammer fantasy days so decided I would start my age of sigmar career with them.

You are right though, If you are not a naturally artistic person its very hard to visualise what might look good.

I'm trying to improve my painting at the moment and have come to the conclusion that I should just go with ideas and sink or swim with the results! I think its the only way to learn what works and what doesn't. 

I agree: the only way to improve your painting/sculpting/etc. is to just go on and try new things.

The subjects of my experiments are currently taking a (slightly chemical) bath, so they'll be ready for another re-paint by the time my new bases get here.

Archived