The future

FRoper

1 hour ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

I am honestly tired of this line of thought because it's basically shaming the blame and ignoring the core point of the s tatement that is basically people pointing out that X is starting to get too heated up and annoyed and he ought to be taking a time off and relax since he's letting the hobby of plastic soldiers get too personal and absorving. Dakkadakka has already taken this line of thought as almost mantra and god help us if it happens here

Jeah but this is your point of view. You can't force the people to shut up if they are complaining in masses. 

And the same point that you raised could be made about the complainers about the complainers. They often ignore the fact that people often have a reason to complain. 

I agree with you if there are only a few people complaining. But to be honest in this forum I have never seen someone complaining without arguments or reasonable thoughts. No one ever attacked someone and no one here was very toxic. Sometimes it got a little heated up but nothing really bad. But I think a "fake positivity", which shuts down opposing thoughts has nothing to do with maintaining a healthy community. It is just a different way of surpression. 

But what we need ist standing together. But if you tell the people to shut up or ban them, because they voice their frustration or say something against GWs policy you will certainly reach the opposite. You will divide the community as a whole more and more. And then the community will split in people critical about GWs decisions and haters and trolls and on the other side there are people defending GW and also hater and trolls. I agree with bans or interventions if someone abuses community guidelines or attacks other people personally. But I have really never seen this in this forum.

The only way to unite a community is through an open discourse about a topic that splits the masses.

I also don't like the "Most of the players"-statements, because we really don't have any statistical information what the players want and what they play. Many people often think that everyone else thinks the same way they do and then counts their opinion as the opinion of the others.

And the wording that something needs to DIE before it takes roots is often never a sign of a healthy community. I am more of a fan of "Let's talk about this in a reasonable manner. Let's talk about the pros and the cons and then lets discuss what can be done to change something". I think with this kind of behaviour you will certainly reach more than telling people to shut up.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to complain about something, do it politely on a GW Facebook page or in an email to GW with good evidence as to why you are unhappy. That is very productive.

Coming on here and saying oh no not more Stormcast is rather less productive. 

To get back on topic I was checking over some rumour stuff and tomoulon's (I think that name is correct) rumour about Morathi have a normal elf form that turned into a big snake was from 3 months ago. It was a very specific rumour and turned out to be completely correct.  At the same time he said we would get water Aelves. For that reason I am now very confident that we will see Aelves riding sea horses some time soon which is pretty exciting.

I do agree people are complaining a bit but  it is not just in this forum. I have seen it in a dozen other venues the past few weeks and that is unsettling to think we are getting to the point were people are so let down

:(

2 minutes ago, Chikout said:

If you want to complain about something, do it politely on a GW Facebook page or in an email to GW with good evidence as to why you are unhappy. That is very productive.

I tend to agree but in saying that I am the kind of person who gets fired up and creates a petition with an email to show that people are angry.

I didn't really follow the thread but people really shouldn't see my comment about Stormcast as a complaint. If anything if I'm saying something about the golden warriors and such it's really mend as tounge and cheek that the future for GW isn't too hard to predict. Just as last years discussions about this very same subject.

Age of Sigmar is still working with a lot of models from the WFB ranges and those that look dynamic enough most certainly will be used. Sometimes newer models don't and it's those models I'm just uncertain about what the future will bring for them. Those examples would be the Dispossessed and a lot of the former High Elves lines. In that same vein almost the whole Empire line could do with an update. Something I don't expect ths year but do expect somewhere in 2019. 

On the other side, for most newer units that do look dynamic, moving and basically will look good as a single model on a base I think the future is very bright. As a result I wouldn't be suprised to see the stuff like Order Draconis and Scourge Privateers be updated next. In that same vein it shouldn't be too difficult to predict that the end of this year will bring something for Slaanesh too. Just like 2015,2016 and 2017 brought something for Khorne, Tzeentch and Nurgle. 

Going back to the initial list:

- Malign Portents
- Legions of Nagash
- Daughters of Khaine

Is where we have the confirmation from and I think we will see the following in addition to that this year:
- "Forces of Malerion update"
- "Order Draconis update"
- "Hosts of Slaanesh update"
- "Stormcast minor releases"

So in general while the Age of Hope is dead I think we will see a lot of Order releases, a bit of Chaos and newer content for Death. In addition I hope they will do something for Destruction also but I am uncertain if they will this year. I base this largely on the Xenos plans GW has for 40k which basically is their thake on AoS Death and Destruction. 

11 hours ago, Infeston said:

I am more of a fan of "Let's talk about this in a reasonable manner. Let's talk about the pros and the cons and then lets discuss what can be done to change something".

Totally with you on this, but I think this type of discussion needs to be seen distinctly from  the non constructive and repetitive comments that spring up with every new release. It's about constructive criticism on one hand and complaining on the other.

I certainly don't think GW is perfect or should be free from all criticism. One of the recent decisions I'm really not a fan of is to make the Pusgoyle Blightlords only available in units of two, so you always have one unusable model if you build a Lord of Afflictions. I discussed this with other gamers and suggested house ruling it so that they were 110pts for one rather than 220pts for two, and one of them made the point that without this rule, you'd have a lot of one man units flying about which gives a lot of tactical flexibility for MSUs not reflected in the points. I hadn't considered this but they made a very valid point. In the end as a group we settled on 110pts per model but retaining a minimum unit size of two. We applied the same ruling to crypt horrors and the like should we ever get a FEC player. That feels like the type of balanced discussion you were referring to.

Why we get on forums is often not that. It's complaining about wanting such and such updated sooner or that the most popular lines get more frequent updates (the gaming equivalent of the chicken or the egg). It's frustrating because a) it's very rarely constructive and b) it moves what was an interesting discussion about a new release into a repeat of the same old bugbears. (I'm totally aware of the hypocracy of this last point given my last post in this thread was a sarcy comment. Sorry! It was supposed to be light hearted rather than kick off a big debate and hey, do as I say and not as I do and all that!) The point is that people come on forums to enjoy their precious free time discussing their hobby with fellow enthusiasts. Wading through a load of negativity about the same old critiques when you came to talk about how cool the new aelves are is a real downer.

It's like having that one friend who always brings every conversation round to politics. They may have a very valid point, but after a while it gets really irritating to hear it *all* the time. They have every right to say what they think, but equally others have a right to tell them theyre being a bore and to lighten up, and to not hang out or keep inviting them to things if they don't. We all know Stormcast get the lion's share of new releases, that death could always do with more love and that GW prices are really high. We don't need any more threads on it.

The future looks good to me. New models, new campaign, short stories online etc.

I tuned out of this forum for a while when all anyone could talk about was the (in my opinion) boring handbook and batallions/"drops". I come back and yeah, this same weird discussion about complaining?

I do think people exaggerate how useful complaining on forums is for GW feedback. They have more useful avenues. In my business, we only care about customer feedback in store, phone, in dedicated surveys and, mainly, what sells and how quickly. Couldn't give a stuff what people say on the line :)

Honestly, GW have outdone themselves lately, I've not had this much fun with their products in a long time (Sigmar is now a solid game and in my opinion currently more fun than 40K, but 40K is also a lot better with the new edition)  

In terms of Sigmar, the quality of releases has been fantastic recently (Probably started around the time of the Blades of Khorne book?) The Battletomes are fantastic for the most part, the rules are fun and fluffy in each of the books and each of the factions feel so unique from each other. The quality of the models have been fantastic, the new Daughters of Khaine models have my Dark Elf love very interested and I will be starting an army of them, despite just starting Nurgle :P  I feel like we now are in an era of GW in which fans are getting a voice unlike they have done in the past and I think we will see further evidence of this in the future (Sisters of Battle, big Death release) 

For now, the game is in a good place and i think it will continue with improved fluff and more badass releases on the horizon.

2 hours ago, JonnyTheKing said:

As for what I think is coming soonish:

- New High Elf faction 

- Slaanesh book with new mortal and daemon models

- A human faction of the likes of The Empire

- Moonclan book 

I don’t know about how soonish, but the list looks right.

6 hours ago, JonnyTheKing said:

As for what I think is coming soonish:

- New High Elf faction 

- Slaanesh book with new mortal and daemon models

- A human faction of the likes of The Empire

- Moonclan book 

Slaanesh is 100% wishlisting. Same with the human faction.

On 1/27/2018 at 5:59 AM, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

No, this needs to die here before it starts taking root. 

Pointing out that people are reaching a point of toxicity and them whining starts getting  on peoples nerves and gets beyond tiresome is not "whining about whining". It's saying: please, stop you're going overboard at this point.

I am honestly tired of this line of thought because it's basically shaming the blame and ignoring the core point of the s tatement that is basically people pointing out that X is starting to get too heated up and annoyed and he ought to be taking a time off and relax since he's letting the hobby of plastic soldiers get too personal and absorving. Dakkadakka has already taken this line of thought as almost mantra and god help us if it happens here

Honestly, I had primarily intended this as a joke.  

As for toxicity, my own or others, do you think poking at the people who are disappointed actually increases or decreases toxicity.  I would suggest that if one were really interested in reducing toxicity, they might try something along the lines of this:

'Dude, that totally sucks.  I'm sorry you are disappointed.  To be honest I am a bit too.  But keep the faith brother!  Good things will come our way.  It's been a long hard wait for our preferred faction, but this whole thing is about us.  I think our patience will be rewarded.'

Or, some other such encouraging things.  Or, perhaps, if it really upsets you, keep scrolling.

Here's the thing.  There are folks like me, that had our faction axed when AoS came out (Tomb Kings), but we stuck around anyway, even though we lost our army.  AoS looked (and IS) awesome.  So, we packed up our old TK, because we could never sell them, and started collecting the old Vampire Counts line, and settled in, with much excitement, to see where GW would take our new favored army.

And we waited.

And we waited....

And here's the thing.  Maybe we're overreacting a bit, but getting angry at us doesn't fix that.  Pointing out that we are whining, even if we are, is only baiting us to also get angry, since you've decided that our frustration is somehow not valid, which is something you don't get to decide.

Trust me, I understand what you are saying.  I've been you.  I've called folks for whining.  But amazingly, it never fixed anything.

Now, here's another thing.  You guys at the TGA are pretty much my whole community.  I know that's rather pathetic, but there isn't an AoS scene near me, and I'd be too busy to join in even if there were.  So, if I'm ecstatic about something, or pissed about something, you guys are the only ones I can vent too.  So here I am.

In short, what I'm saying is that, telling someone to feel something different has never worked.  But, you can help them to feel different.  But to do that, you have to remove the assumption that they are a whiny ass, and instead assume that they may actually feel pretty upset.

Sure, someone might just be trolling, but here's the thing.  If you are kind to them, instead of being combative, you'll quickly figure out who the trolls are, and who the impassioned fans that are just having a hard time are.

My 2 cents.

Anyway, I'm sorry my frustrated joke/retort upset you so much.  I'll try to keep on eye on that behavior from now on.  Believe it or not, I really do try to refrain from causing drama on this site, since the greatest thing about TGA is the fact that most of us aren't embittered fans, who stick around even though they appear to hate everything about the game they claim to love.

@MechaBriZilla This pretty much sums up my point as well. I am in the same position as you. In my local area there are no AoS players. If the people play Warhammer, they mostly play 40k. 

I am trying to introduce some friends into playing AoS. And sometimes I can convince some people in starting the hobby. But in my area there is no "local community" to discuss AoS with. Also I can't go to any tournament, because they are often too far away and the traveling costs would be too much. I am from Germany. Most of the tournaments are in the UK or in the US. I mean to be honest I also wouldn't go to any tournament, because I don't like the competitive atmosphere.

And the people I convinced into playing AoS don't know the whole community discussions that much. I often have to introduce them or create special game scenarios for them (where I often have less points) were they can learn the basic mechanics.

So i totally feel you. I think many AoS players are in the same position and the people who go to tournaments are only a very low percentage of the whole AoS community. I would guess that most AoS players only play in small groups at home. I mean before AoS I haven't even finished a single Warhammer game, because I couldn't find people to play with and even for me the rules were a bit too complex. The first Warhammer game I played was an AoS game, even though I still collected Ogre Kingdoms since 6th Edition.

So it is the very same for me. This place and reddit are the only places were I can discuss such topics and hear different opinions.

On 1/29/2018 at 4:57 AM, Burf said:

Slaanesh is 100% wishlisting. Same with the human faction.

Not really. Slaanesh is an inevitability. The other 3 Chaos gods have been given the AoS treatment, and Slaanesh continues to be featured and talked about in GW publications and communications. It's a question of when, not if.

The same goes for a new human faction. Unlike Slaanesh we don't have any specific information to go on, but humans are a key part of the setting and it's completely implausible that a new human faction won't be put into development at some point. Again, it's a question of when, not if.

If your benchmark for what constitutes wishlisting is 'anything that hasn't specifically been rumoured by a credible source or teased by GW' then almost everything counts as wishlisting. In which case speculation would be pointless. But it isn't pointless, because even without specific rumours you can look at things like GW's past behavior and where the narrative is going to make inferences that at least amount to a reasonably educated guess. There's every chance that your educated guess will be wrong, but it still has more substance to it than wishlisting.

@Jamie the Jasper can only agree with that.

For Slaanesh I think the AoS escape is logical and quite frankly it's clear that there is a certain 40k demand and future for it also. So when they will look into that the only logical outcome is that Slaanesh will also appear in AoS. Perhaps with less Mortal support as say we saw for Maggotkin, but even that is a wild assumption. Because as Daughters of Khaine show us, it only thakes about 2-3 new 'dual construction' units to really blow life into a faction again. For AoS it really is that simple and it really is that effective.

While I also expect a human faction or at least have great hopes for it, I also see that GW might see the Stormcast as this human faction aswell. Because when we look at the evolution of the Stormcast they become more and more "human looking". E.g.

2015-2016 "Spirit Robot/Golem?"
99120218005_StormcastEternalsPaladinsDec99120218001_CelestantPrime01.jpg

2017-2018 "Human After All"
99120218021_VanguardHunters01.jpgVorras.jpg

--

In terms of the Moonclan stuff, I certainly see a lot of potential there and I hope to see them in this year. At the same time though I think that GW is also very eager to release more 40K this year also which might mean the Moonclan are shifted to 2019.  But I'm certain there are more sculpts ready for them aswell. 

Slaanesh is 100% coming back for both fantasy and Wh40k. I could easily see it as huge Aelves/Eldar vs Slaasnesh thing and it might be the year :

- another Aelf faction (Shadowkin, Light Aelves) 

- Slaasnesh (they already have nice plastic kits with chariot and Daemonnets, add big Keeper of Secrets build like GUO add 2-3 kits more and you got istantly quite huge army)

- there is ongoing Wh40 narrative with Ynnari so they might get release of new codex with some models (But I wouldn't bet on more then 1-2 boxes) and Harlequins are coming. 

So I guess we are should see Slaasnesh release this year. 

Human faction is also a possibility I would love Free People release with option to choose your Allegiance - like Chaos, Nagash, Sigmar - even Destruction. 

Slaanesh is indeed an inevitability. Putting it 2018 is wishlisting though. Two new aelven factions, very likely new death, plus already Maggotkin, make it very unlikely. There is also a couple of hinted things (Ruination, Darkoath, Moonclan) that could be placed before Slaanesh as well.

Still, January 2019 is a first possible window, following the trend of updating chaos gods on January of each year. 2019 has anyways good chances of being Slaanesh year. But 2018 is completely unlikely.

8 minutes ago, Turgol said:

Slaanesh is indeed an inevitability. Putting it 2018 is wishlisting though.

I don't necessarily disagree with your analysis, but still it isn't wishlisting. Speculating that Slaanesh may be released in 2018 isn't a wish, it's speculation. And a single speculation hardly constitutes a list.

Accusing people of 'wishlisting' can rub them up the wrong way because it tends to be used to dismiss and belittle their hopes and opinions. In my experience it's particularly irritating to people if they feel they're speculating based on some kind of evidence (however tenuous or poorly interpreted that evidence might be). Maybe 'wishful thinking' would be a more respectful term?

No disrespect intended. It is simple plainly obvious that when people say “I think (/am sure) that Slaanesh could/should/will be 2018, there is an obvious element of desire in it. If you stick to the best evidence we have (persisting reliable rumours of Shadowkin, harbringers and their factions, death’s lending surprise, consistent pattern of updating chaos gods at only a yearly basis), that desire is likely to be unfulfilled.

I think it's more likely that Slaanesh is released in 2018 for several reasons : Slaanesh is heavyly linked to Eldar in Wh40k and now to Aelves in AoS, with DoK and another Aelfs faction coming out and Harlequins and maybe Ynnari coming to Wh40k it's more then likely that those releases could be linked with Slaanesh. 

And you should know better as in other thread you claimed that DoK are coming lateFeb/March without any source or proof which is pure speculation. And then you criticize other for speculating about things you can't be sure will or won't happen. 

1 hour ago, Turgol said:

Slaanesh is indeed an inevitability. Putting it 2018 is wishlisting though. Two new aelven factions, very likely new death, plus already Maggotkin, make it very unlikely. There is also a couple of hinted things (Ruination, Darkoath, Moonclan) that could be placed before Slaanesh as well.

Still, January 2019 is a first possible window, following the trend of updating chaos gods on January of each year. 2019 has anyways good chances of being Slaanesh year. But 2018 is completely unlikely.

Slaanesh in late 2018/early 2019 is a given thing - following the pattern of the last years. 40k will get a emperors Children Codex this year, followed by AoS. 

41 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

I think it's more likely that Slaanesh is released in 2018 for several reasons : Slaanesh is heavyly linked to Eldar in Wh40k and now to Aelves in AoS, with DoK and another Aelfs faction coming out and Harlequins and maybe Ynnari coming to Wh40k it's more then likely that those releases could be linked with Slaanesh. 

And you should know better as in other thread you claimed that DoK are coming lateFeb/March without any source or proof which is pure speculation. And then you criticize other for speculating about things you can't be sure will or won't happen. 

Just read the new WD. Blood omens is the hint. That’s your proof. No baseless speculation such as “shadowblades will be DoK!” Now tell me that’s not (quite absurd) wishlisting!

Archived