The Darkwood Court

KnaveOfScribes

Hey everyone

Curry_Supreme - Cheers man, much appreciated. The Reeve is the most converted model so far, though the new version of Raest has been tweaked a lot and the planned King-In-Horns will probably be the most esoteric conversion of all. 

Anamnesis - A bit of creepiness is what I was aiming for :) The whole idea with the Reeve is that he's just as magical in nature as a daemon, so can look like anything he wants - he just has the shape of a stag as that's what peoples perception of him have 'forced' him into. He's definitely my favourite model in the project so far.

Speaking of Blessed Loclaranam, slow progress has been made on him - painting time has been limited due to the warm weather, several trips to the cinema (Hereditary - good, Incredibles 2 - underwhelming) and other distractions, as well as the white fur taking a while to get right. Here he is currently though:

wPRfBzy.jpg?2

The bark sections and branches all need glazing with sepia and black and all the details need doing still but he's coming along nicely. Shouldn't take too much longer to finish, though the reveal of Raest and possibly his Crows will more than likely come before the fully painted pics of Blessed Loclaranam. Once these are done, its back to the coalface of Spites and Dryads. Fun times.

Your comments are always welcome folks, love hearing from you all.

Knave.

• Like 10

IE5iUkD.jpg?1

“Ask yourself this: if you could remember every detail of every minute of your life, would you want to? Could you know it all without losing your mind, and know that you were losing your mind? Forgetting is as much protection as it is a failing.”
                                Follies; Everard Hemp of Hammerhal.

“Even the greatest of hunters can lose themselves in the joy of the hunt and will find themselves far from home.”
                                Attributed to unknown Aelvish philosopher.

~

The ancient hall looked long-abandoned, carpeted in dust and draped with curtains of cobwebs. Cracks in the high shadowed roof and dark walls allowed thin drifts of snow to grow and spread among empty benches and tables. The very air was still, as if all life had abandoned the hall along with any that had once called it home. Only shadows and darkness made their home here now and filled the hall as it stretched away towards the dais at its head. A heavy chair sat there, in the shadows, filled with the shape of a man, layered in webs and rotted threads of cloth.  All was silent. All was still.

Mother Aldwynter stared up at the shape that filled the heavy chair, lone eye glittering behind her iron-grey hair. Thin tears of blood slowly wept from the eternal wound of her missing eye to be collected on the tip of a crooked finger and then licked clean by a greying tongue. The polished skulls strung from her twisted staff whispered oh-so-quietly at the edge of hearing as she considered the figure sat before her.

Hulking plates of corroded and cracked armour, a lions face snarling from one pauldron. Swathes of furs adding further bulk, a long heavy spear held across its lap. All cloaked in dust, webs and drifts of snow, as if the figure had moved in long years. Hidden in the valley between those huge pauldrons and the furs, shadowed and dark, rat-tails of long black hair hid the figures face. Mother Aldwynter clucked her tongue in annoyance. This lassitude would not do. A long-fingered hand reached into her layered robes and coats, pulled forth a simple drawstring pouch which gently clicked and clacked in her grasp.

“Time to rouse yourself, my servant, my champion. I have need of you.”

“Tell me, mother,” the figure sighed in reply, weariness heavy in every word. “Tell me again how I came to be here.”

“There will be time enough for tales when our work is done. You need only remember that I found you and saved you and kept you.”

“Kept.” A faint note of tired bitterness entered the weary voice. “I sometimes wonder, what did you keep me from?”

Mother Aldwynter smiled thinly, iron in her gaze and in her voice.

“You asked me, remember? You asked me to keep the shreds of your soul safe, as only I could. Have I not done so? Have I not kept my end of our bargain?”

“Bargain?” the figure snorted. “A poor one, if it ever was one. Answer me this mother, how many times have I died for you?”

“Too many, my child.” Mother Aldwynter’s voice softened for a brief moment before hardening like winters touch. “And not enough, and never truly, my servant. That was the nature of our bargain.”

“And now you have new children to live and die for you, and a new King to rule.” The seated figure leaned forward, dust and cobwebs shedding like a second skin. Cold, tired eyes glittered from behind curtains of black hair. “I wonder, what need have you for your broken son now?”

The drawstring pouch landed on the seated figures lap with a clack, the neck opening and several small items spilling out and falling to the floor in a clicking, rattling stream. Teeth. Mother Aldwynter waved a hand dismissively at the pouch and its clicking enamelled contents before turning away and shuffling along the hall.

“I return your Crows to you, Huntsman. I’m sure you can guess what task I have for you. Rouse yourself and take up your spear. Time grows short.”

Raest, called Deathless by some, Lost by others, and known by all as the Crone’s Huntsman, held the teeth of his Crows in one armoured palm and the haft of his spear in the other. Deep within his cold, tired body, he felt a faint spark thrill to life. Slowly, creakingly, his pale face began to smile.

~

r8pTF0b.jpg?2
“When she found him, he had been lost in the snows and mists and lands for years uncounted.”

O3axgEG.jpg?2
“He had died and lived and died and lived again so many times that he had forgotten all that he was.”

SexuGd8.jpg?2
“She took what was left of his soul and hid it away. Bound to an iron nail, hidden in an acorn, hidden in a rat, hidden in a cat, hidden in a hound.”

JE1Hw1Y.jpg?2
“His death is hers and his life too. The Lost and Deathless Huntsman.”

~
  • Like 5

Afternoon folks smile.png
Crikey its hot at the moment. Ridiculously hot.

AthlorainStoners - Thanks man, much appreciated.

So yes, the Man-Stag is now finished, and looking rather lovely even if I do say so myself. While his varnish was drying, I used the spare time to make a start on Raest and specifically his armour. Raest and his Nine Crows are the first time any metallics have been used in this whole project (other than on a tiny knife blade on Mother Aldwynter) so I was careful to keep the armour from being too shiny and bright. I used the same process as the armour on my Korinth Gorgons player, albeit with a little more silver and a few more glazes, aiming for a corroded and cracked old armour look. Here's how he looks so far:

1wevlTC.jpg?2
I'm pretty happy with the dull finish, and the texture added by the stippled drybrush has worked well, but I think it may have a bit too much of a silver tone rather than the old bronze look of the Gorgons player - but then having that silver tone does visually move him away from both the Hammers Of Sigmar Stormcast and the darker schemes of the Chaos factions.

While working on his background, I've also decided to expand the number and type of "bound" Stormcast that Raest can call on using the pouch of teeth (bonus points for you if you can recognise that particular comic reference). Originally that idea was just to have the trio of Palladors (the hounds to Raests hunter) but I enjoyed assembling them so much that I kinda wanted to do more. I'd been considering finding a way to use the Steelhearts Champions models for a while as they are lovely and much much better than the frankly boring and borderline bad Farstriders (seriously, why is their boss surfing on a log? Why?) and that's when the idea of a small hunting party of trapped and bound Stormcast came to life. My only issue was that Steelheart guys were very much clean and tidy Liberator types, not hunters.

The release of the easy-build packs of Sequitors changed that - not only do the three poses and weapon options match the Steelheart trio (with a little tweaking to the lovely female champions arms), but the robes offer a great base for adding rotting furs etc. Plus those maces just look lovely. So I've ordered them. And the easy-build Castigators, who will either see use as Castigators or will be tweaked to count as the Farstriders.

Overall then, I will have Raest the Huntsman (Knight-Questor) and his Nine Crows: the Wings (three Palladors), the Talons (Sequitors representing Steelhearts Champions) and the Eyes (three Castigators representing either just themselves, or the Farstriders). All hollow, undying, trapped and bound to Raest by Mother Aldwynter, and all in the same cracked and dulled ancient armour.

A nice little visual and painting break from all the wood and spirit forms of the Court while still displaying that same Grimm-dark fairytale aesthetic.

Would be great to hear your thoughts on things chaps, your input is always valued. Painted pics of Blessed Loclaranam coming soon.

Knave.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

0tWyPyr.jpg?1

“A man can hold many names, and each will be a part of himself that he acts upon. What, then, of the names held by our gods? What weight and duty most those names bring? And how many names have been forgotten over the long Ages of the Realms? What of those duties and roles?”

~

1w1n8Sj.jpg?2

“Golden Antlered Harne, the hunt made flesh.”

eFZ7Dem.jpg?2 crOWcc3.jpg?2

“Blessed Loclaranam, marked and noted child of Ghyran. Favoured of the Court and the voice of reason to our Kings madness.”

bBm4ngL.jpg?2 9UZIGbA.jpg?2

“Man-Stag of the Wyld, primal and urgent. The surge of blood and heat in the rush of life.”

wprpWWx.jpg?2

“Our Herald, our strength. Our hope.”

~

• Like 17

That really is one impressive conversion. So many disparate bits involved, but they all look so natural and thoughtfully placed - the end result is just stunning.

And of course your compelling background just elevates the whole thing even further :)

What ho, gentle folk? How fares the day?

Not sure why I'm speaking like that, its a bit odd. Anyways, a quick little update today showing what I did over the Soul Wars release weekend. Hint: it wasn't as much as I wanted due to needing to eat. First up though, replies to you fine folk:

@Davariel - Thanks man :) he is a random old collection of parts, its true. Just so pleased he turned out the way he did - there was a point where I was trying to fit the head and was thinking I'd just wasted 20-odd quid. Came through in the end though. And thanks for the kind words about my background - always super happy to hear that people like it.

@Boss Salvage - Cheers as well bud. It's gonna be Instagram you saw the Man-Stag on - as much as I'd love to be, I'm not part of the Iron Sleet collective. Drop me a nod on Insta if you're on there, always happy to have hobby chums to follow on there. And yeah, I was really happy with how the white and woad came out. I'll have to get some pics of him with the Revenants to show how they look together.

Onto the progress report then. To the eternal gratitude of my wallet, I managed to resist getting too much on the release day - I will grab the Core Book and GHB at some point but as I don't game myself all that often, they're very much a secondary concern at the moment. I also managed to resist the urge to start a new army (the Nighthaunt were very very tempting) as I felt it wouldn't be great to lose focus on the Court while it was only about halfway through. There's also still a big desire to do some Blood Bowl and Inq28 first before a new AoS project anyway. I did treat myself to both the ETB Stormcast kits though with the intent of turning them into Raest's Nine Crows, as explained last time round.

First impressions of the new Stormcast are...... yeah I like them. A lot. The Sequitors especially. Its crazy how some robes makes such a difference and turns the rather bland and visually dull Stormcast into something much better. Pimping gold plastic aside, both kits are lovely, packed with detail, easy to build (durr) and remarkably free of mood lines. The upcoming multi-part Sequitors look great too even if for GW nowadays, multi-part is synonymous with limited-pose-options. I think I'd get bored of them pretty quickly as an army project, but as a little skirmish-type thing like the Nine Crows they're a fun break from the Sylvaneth.

Here's how the Castigators look after the initial assembly and conversion work:

yKIxB3O.jpg?2

I really like how removing the crests from the helms has given them a slightly more sinister look - I also shaved away the Stormcast sigil on the pauldrons and trimmed down the anvil-charm as well to remove the most obvious Stormcast markings. They need greenstuffing, particularly on the new right arm for the Prime to bulk it out appropriately, and to add tattered furs over some of the robes. The hound was just a random idea that seemed to work - I liked the thought of Mother Aldwynter sending a nightmarish hound to watch over Raest and his Crows. I'll work on the Sequitors over the weekend, turning them into stand-ins for Steelheart and his chums. I also got the cloak done on Raest but I'm now cursing about needing to rebase him onto a 40mm base and wondering where I can grab one easily enough...

JFWzgub.jpg?2

Once the Crows are done, its back to the trees. I've got some Kurnoth that have been begging to be painted for the last 2 months or so and I should really bite the bullet and get the last 15 Spites and 10 Dryads sorted out. There's a few more ideas for other random things too, including possibly using Lady Olynder for something as that is a stunning model - the current thought is using her to represent another shard of the Baba Yaga, possibly the Mother/Lady this time. Course, then I'd have to do the Maiden too, and then there's the other inhabitants of the Grey Marches to explore like the Jheck and the Sheeda......

Back soon with more.
Knave

• Like 4

Gorgeous. Both the models and the writing! Every time I am impressed. Do you write professionally? I feel like ya should.

This Plog has been an inspiration for a while. Maybe one of my own can kick my current projects into gear... Even if it is half as good as this one, mission accomplished.

BTW, while you seem to build narratively, you mentioned a 2000 point list? Care to share that? I am mostly curious as to what you see as an "end goal".

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 3:41 PM, KnaveOfScribes said:

First impressions of the new Stormcast are...... yeah I like them. A lot. The Sequitors especially. Its crazy how some robes makes such a difference and turns the rather bland and visually dull Stormcast into something much better

This is exactly what I thought when I saw the preview pictures.

Lovely work on thw conversions, keep it up!.

Evening folks - hope things are ace, and as ever thanks for all you comments.

@ObviousPlayer - Ah thanks very much man, great to hear you've enjoyed things that much and I've filled your lunchtimes. Still loads to come to keep you hooked.

@flamingwalnut - You are too kind mate, way too kind. I don't write fiction for a living sadly, just random freelance stuff, but writing fiction is the dream. I submitted something to the last BL window, so fingers crossed something happens there. Great to hear you're inspired hobby-wise as well, that's one of the best compliments to hear. I do tend to build narratively, which can be a pain sometimes as you can end up overlooking the basic guys in favour of fun stuff, but yes there is indeed a now-2500pt list I'm working towards as the first chapter-end goal for this project. I'll pop the list below, its nothing special game-wise but will have a few surprises in it.

@brettfp - Thanks bud, great to hear you like the background that much. Doing my best to keep the standard of both high.

@mrllaine - Crazy how much better the Sacrosanct look isn't it? Well done to GW there. And cheers man, I shall try.

So, with a break in the weather comes a chance to do some painting, and Raest has had a little more progress made:

ZYohRY3.jpg?2

Happy with how he's coming along, him and the rest of the Crows should be a really nice visual break from the Court, without standing out too much thanks to their muted armour.

And for those interested, here's the target 2500pt list:

Sylvaneth Allegiance, Shyish home Realm

Mother Aldwynter - Branchwraith; General, Gift of Ghyran, Regrowth, Ranu's Lamentiri

Blessed Loclaranam - Branchwych; Regrowth, Oaken Armour

King-in-Horns - Drycha Hamadreth; Dwellers Below

10 Tree-Revenants; pipes, banner, scion

10 Spite-Revenants

5 Spite-Revenants

5 Spite-Revenants

5 Spite-Revenants

3 Kurnoth Hunters; Scythes

3 Kurnoth Hunters; Bows (more than likely converted from the Melusai so I can have creepy snake-dryads)

3 Kunoth Hunters; Bows (same as above)

The Warmasked - Treelord

Raest the Huntsman - Knight-Questor (with a Shyish artefact once the Community guys clarify that for me, probably the Banshee Blade)

Eyes of the Nine Crows - 3 Castigators

Talons of the Nine Crows - Steelheart's Champions (using the ETB Sequitors)

Wings of the Nine Crows - 3 Vanguard Palladors

Endless Spell - Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (represented by actual twins...)

Mothers Children - 10 Dryads for the Wych's summoning spell.

Dreadwood Wargrove

Outcast Battalion

Free Wyldwood

That's about 2500 on the nose, nothing too waac or tourney-winning in there, I'm way more focused on the story.

Right, im off for a beer. And maybe to buy a certain non-GW model of my favourite character ever...

Knave.

• Like 8

Afternoon folks, just a very quick update today - the weather recently has been far too hot to do much painting, which sucks.

@flamingwalnut - Ha yeah I'm looking forward to doing the twins for the Geminid spell. Should be fun and is another nod to the vein of Slavic folklore running through this project.

@Davariel - Well, what's life without a little tease? I'm hoping I can make all the conversions work as well in reality as they do in my head. My main concern at the moment is making the Yncarne look Sylvaneth enough as the King-in-Horns.

Have made some progress on Raest though, at least from the point of view of amending something that was bugging me slightly. I was stumped for a while in terms of how to paint the spear blade, as due to the broken lava style sculpt it wouldn't really work in metals or obsidian. Then I realised the problem was the blade itself - as cool as it is (I love how short and fat and heavy it looks), it's far too chaotic for the vision I had of Raest. Mores so considering I had spent so long removing all the other overtly chaotic details from him. Bit of tweaking last night while sorting out a few other weapon swaps on some of the other Crows, and I ended up with this:

LdnSfEt.jpg?1
An altogether more slimmer blade that looks more like a hunting spear than a war-spear, and ties Raest more to the rest of the Crows, especially the Palladors. He should be all done fairly soon, then I can crack on with the rest of the Crows before knuckling down to another 20 Spite Revenants. I have got a plan for some of them though, to break up the painting and visual look of them all and to introduce the Crone-touched to the Revenants...

Cheers all.
  • Like 5

hx0qHWA.jpg?1

A purpose in life is admirable, but your purpose should not become your life, at the expense of all that you are.”

~

BkELgnp.jpg?2

“I am as a cup, ancient and cracked but still of use and purpose. Every passing year sees me filled to the brim and spilling over.”

GaTfyfl.jpg?2 7g0Mk7U.jpg?2

“I no longer remember how much I have lost, or what I have lost. I know only perpetuity.”

cDCOC1K.jpg?2 sKxQZOB.jpg?2

“Come, friend; bare your breast to my spear, stretch your neck out to meet my blade.”

mCeWBPA.jpg?2

“Let me give you the peace that I cannot have for myself.”

~

Edited by KnaveOfScribes
spellings
  • Like 12

vDRrFme.jpg?1

“Misery loves company, as they say.”

“I give no gifts, grant no boons, which come without a sting.”

Mother Aldwynter

~

The Hunstman stood at the edge of the snowfields, weighing the pouch of teeth in one armoured palm.  Drifts of thick snow stretched into the distance, merging into the steel-grey of the skies, broken only by the thin blackened twists of tree trunks and the lonely teeth of what used to be fences. Freezing winds plucked and cut at the air, sending flurries of flakes spiraling about before they fell back to the ground like the dead. There was a thin keening in the air that could have been the wind, could have been his quarry. He didn’t feel the cold, not really. Not as anything more than a dim annoyance, a scratching at his awareness. It had been many long years since he had felt anything other than the eternal erosion and slow chipping-away of himself.

He grunted wearily and planted his long-hafted spear in the snow beside him. Frost glittered on the shattered blade as it seemed to cut into the grey sky. He opened the worn pouch and tipped a handful of teeth into his open hand. They clicked and rattled in his palm, gleaming like ivory marbles. They felt like they weighed more than teeth should, but he knew that was only his withered imagination at work. His tired conscience. Nine teeth he held, a trinity of trinities. The Crone’s touch, of course. It was her nature to be obsessed with trinities, to see and use and form them in everything she did, whether she realized it or not. He held the nine teeth for a second longer then cast them into the swirling snows in front of him.

“Wings. Eyes. Talons.” Each word left a dull ache in his breast that faded slowly over the long minutes that passed until he knew that they were close. His Crows.

They walked slowly from the snows and freezing winds, ragged furs and cloth fluttering like dying wings in the winds, frost kissing the edges of the cracked and dull plate they wore. Notched and worn weapons hung loosely from armoured fists, and impassive metal masks hid their faces behind ancient metal. The nine of them stood before him in a ragged line, three hunched on the backs of emaciated gryph-chargers whose faded black plumage and fur made them seem like a tattered patch of shadow against the snow. The one who stood at the center of the line was the only one bare-headed, her face thin and sallow beneath ashen-blond hair so pale it was almost colourless. When she smiled, there was nothing of warmth or affection in it; only a sharpness and a kind of mockery.

“Greetings Raest. You look tired. Are you getting enough sleep?”

Hollow laughter echoed quietly from behind the impassive masks of the others. He’d forgotten how much he hated the sound of that laughter.

“I wonder, Tarat Vaun, would you take release now?” Raest replied. “Do you think whatever is left of your soul would reach home, or would you find yourself elsewhere?”

“Release? Oh no, none of us would chose that now.” Tarat Vaun’s smile widened, showing sharp teeth behind it. “We couldn’t bear to leave you all alone. Not when you’re having so much fun running errands.”

That laughter again, growing louder as it sawed at the winter air like a jagged knife. Like the ache of a broken bone. Raest clenched his jaw against the dull anger he felt rising, growled his words out.

“There is a hunt to be made. She will tolerate no Ascendants other than herself in these lands, she has told me. Out there, the Jheck curl themselves around some little godbeast that hoards a little puissance. Stolen or faded, she cares not, only that it dies.”

Tarat Vaun let her heavy mace slide from her shoulder, the head crunching softly into the snow at her feet. She tipped her head to the side, staring at Raest like a cat stares at a mouse, before her iron-hard eyes slid away and over to another Crow.

“Do you recall, Varandas, that he used to be a good captain? I was with him on the road to Dwimmerdale where he slew the Nightingale Prince.” There was a pretend wistfulness in her brittle voice now.

The Crow she addressed nodded his armoured head slowly, crossbow held easily over one shoulder. His voice echoed hollowly from behind that unmoving mask.

“And I when he went up into the Harrowback Mountains to kill fire-drakes. It’s sad to see him now, hollow puppet for a witch.”

“It’s true.” Tarat Vaun tipped her head to the other side, stared at Raest again with a mockingly apologetic face. “It’s true and all the sadder for it.”

The assembled Crows laughed brokenly again, one of the withered gryph-chargers clacking its sharp beak in what could have been agreement. Raest sighed again, took up his spear and levelled it, pointing with the shattered blade out into the snowbound horizons.

“Enough. Your memories of me do not matter here. I have called and you have answered. We hunt, as we always do. First the Jheck godling, then others. She has given us much work to do.”

“Ah, what an afterlife this is, to work when we could rest.” Tarat Vaun waved her free hand and the Crows turned and began to disappear into the swirling snows around them. “Still, plenty of time for us to catch up and remind ourselves of our and your past glories. How lovely.”

That broken laughter again, louder and stronger this time even as the Crows disappeared from view. Gods how he hated that laughter. Tarat Vaun gazed at him for a moment longer, her eyes flat.

“It’s good to see you again, husband.” And then she turned away and was gone.

~

neVoK2i.jpg?2

“They’ve followed you for so long that they can do naught else.”

hJar7yl.jpg?2

“Bound through bone and blood, marked upon their souls.”

tw3HNZy.jpg?2ruGFOhc.jpg?2

“Do you feel the weight of their company? Do you feel the weight of their eternal regard?”

WVj7oO9.jpg?2

“Are they a burden or a blessing?”

GyjSCkj.jpg?2zhARvrf.jpg?2

“I wonder, do they hate you? Do they curse you?”

OHJafnI.jpg?2

“Or are your Crows loyal and loving?”

NS3rQhY.jpg?2

“Tell me, are they laughing at you, or with you?” 

~

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hey everyone - apologies for the lack of updates recently, this has been due to a few reasons:

The weather; it's been ridiculously hot and humid here recently which isn't great for painting as it's too sweaty and mixes dry too quickly.
A lack of progress; somewhat due the above but also a lack of spare hobby funds has meant I've had to slow down a little so that I'm not running out of things to do for the Court.
Boring progress; when I have painted, it's just been armour on the Crows and a basic start on the robes. Not very exciting to show off really.

And in true hobby style, I've also been very distracted by plans for upcoming Sylvaneth units I want (and need in the case of the Spites) to do now that its only the painting of the Crows that needs to be done. I did have a vague idea of starting a smaller AoS side-project as well, jumping on the Nighthaunt bandwagon, but I honestly think that something entirely different is needed as a refresher while working on the Court still. So the side-project will either be Inq28 or a small Tempestus Scions army that I've been mulling over (using Van Saars as the Scions and supported by Armigers. Not sure if it'll work though...).

Don't worry though, I wont be starting that anytime soon - there's still about half of the Court to do in the form of 20 more Spites, 6 more Kurnoth, the King, my Geminids markers and another Wyldwood. I'll hold off on any 40k set shenanigans until I'm on the last stretch with the Court. And I may even come back to the idea of the Nighthaunt anyway.

@peasant - Thanks very much man, great to hear you get so much from my humble stuff.

Speaking of said Crows, here's a closer look at the finished cracked and ancient armour:

ThlVcjt.jpg?2
Lots of glazes to build up the mottled colouring and corroded look, and the cracking is just Agrellan Earth painted in patches before the model is undercoated. All 9 Crows have the armour finished now and the Castigators only need their weapons and details done, and snow added to the bases. So they should be getting shown off properly soon.

C&C welcome as always folks, and if you're on Instagram please stop by and say hi - I'm Knave_of_scribes on there and recently painted a John Constantine from Knight models for a little change which I was really happy with.

Catch you all soon.

• Like 1