600 point IronJawz List

krimsynn

There's a simple force expansion option if you want it. +10 ardboys and +3 goregruntas, same amount of units just increase the unit size for two of the units. That will be 900 exactly.

You could also drop the, now 20, ardboys for 10 brutes at the same cost.

Both go to a unit of 6 ggs while one makes the 10 ardboys into brutes and the other adds another 10 on.

The one thing that would change it is if you get duality of death. In that case I wouldnt take the 3 extra ggs going with a footboss instead. That gives you a second hero who is really good at holding objectives. 

Having the footboss would make the 10 brutes more attractive because of the reroll 1s.

Could be tricky, one of the things about starstrike is that where they come down can win or lose games. There are two ways to try and win it, one is to have the mobility and power to readjust around the board and fight over them as they come down. The second way is to try and pin your opponent early and deny him from getting into the centre of the map allowing you to control the centre and your own point. 

A big block of Ardboys and a Weirdnob will serve you very well in this scenario as they are amazing at grinding your opponent down. so 20 or 30 Ardboys + weirdnob is probably a solid core, throw them up the centre of the board to try and pin him on his half of it, this gives you greater ability to move around the board after the various stars and control the map. 

Goregruntas will also be a solid choice purely for the movement, they can reposition quickly and do quite a lot of damage when required. While they can't contest points on their own, purely due to model count, they can obliterate small units left on their own and will have a good shot at attacking into any exposed units in the back line. 2 units of them will allow you to sweep around the board and hit poorly defended or uncontested points. 

Leaders
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (360)
- Ironjawz Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Ironjawz Battleline
- Ironjawz Battleline

Total: 760 / 900
Wounds: 76

Brutes are nice but are more for dealing with big threats rather than grinding it out against hordes, they are also quite vulnerable to mortal wounds/battleshock. Make sure you have about 10 Orruk Forged Shields on your Ardboys unit if you can, these will be key to extending their longevity.

This leaves you with 140 points spare and you have some reasonable choices. A warchanter is an option but due to the points overflow is properly not efficient, equally the megaboss is a nice tanky general but only 1 model when contesting points. 

My suggestion would then be one of three things, another 10 Ardboys is only 90 points and will make that unit a true meatgrinder. A second weirdnob will do much the same letting you cast 2 spells a turn, so giving you a mystic shield or arcane bolt ontop of the foot of gork. Lastly your final 3 goregruntas either as 3x3x3 or 6x3 will improve the mobile portion of your army. My personal choice would be the three extra gg's since it lets you play a good hammer/anvil and other cavalry orientated strategies which play very well to the scenario. A third unit of 3 gives you flexibility with positioning and movement allowing you to actually have a better mobility game than the skaven, while a unit of 6 gives you an amazing unit of shock cavalry which, while harder to use and more unwieldy, can be devastating even without the 8" charge bonus.

Hey, I'm going to be short 1 unit of 3 Gore Gruntas. I have the following units to choose from for the 900 point game. 

1 Megaboss

1  3 model Gore Gruntas unit

1  3 model Gore Gruntas unit

20 Ardboys 

2 Warchanters

1 Weirdnob shaman 

10 brutes

I'd still go with the setup above just add a megaboss instead of the 3 more gg's.

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Artefact: Destroyer 
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (360)
- Ironjawz Battleline
- Ironjawz Battleline
- Ironjawz Battleline

Total: 900 / 900
Wounds: 83

Take destroyer on the megabosses choppa because you are facing skaven, that makes it 3 damage a hit which is just insane. It also gives you the choice of using his Waaagh! command ability if you don't think you will need the inspiring presence on the Ardboys. As to his trait, I'm not sure what I'd suggest. My go to is ironclad (with daubing of mork) but that's because in a 2k 5 game tournament you know he will be focused. You might be able to get away with a more aggressive trait and just use him as a damage machine.

Gz on the win! The question I would ask now is if you are getting a reasonable feel for the army and the units you've used so far. What are the thoughts you're having with regards to each unit and the army in general?

The answers to those questions, and the battleplan, inform where you might want to go in the future.  With one win and one loss it's probably a good point to stop and reflect on these kinds of things before moving forward again. :D 

I do have a good feel for the army. so far. I think the Warchanters will be a good addition now to add the +1 to hit for certain units. The Gore Gruntas have really done their job this time, too. I was able to get to and hold objective with them and also move fast enough to flank and get to the enemy back line. I will come back on the list building once I find out what battleplan is next. I do have a few other things to ask though.

1. I also have 20 Bonesplitta Arrowboyz that will be finished and ready to use for the next game as well. Can be used as a huge unit of 20, or as 2 units of 10.  Do you think they will help in certain scenarios? I bought them back beore GHB17 released, but they have increased in points now. 

2. What do you think of the Grot Spear Chucka? I have thought about adding it as a ranged unit for my IronJawz as well.

3. Other than I MawKrusha, I'm conisdering buying 2 Ironjawz skirmish boxes so I can get another unit of 10 brutes, another 10 Ardboyz. The 2 shamans will be bonus!

5 hours ago, krimsynn said:

3. Other than I MawKrusha, I'm conisdering buying 2 Ironjawz skirmish boxes so I can get another unit of 10 brutes, another 10 Ardboyz. The 2 shamans will be bonus!

I wrote a massive post on how to buy Ironjawz a while back. My recommendation is 4 Weirdnob Warbands and 4 Start collecting boxes. That gives you litterally everything you could ever want outside of cabbages! So yeah, good call on that all the IJ boxes are amazing value.

5 hours ago, krimsynn said:

1. I also have 20 Bonesplitta Arrowboyz that will be finished and ready to use for the next game as well. Can be used as a huge unit of 20, or as 2 units of 10.  Do you think they will help in certain scenarios? I bought them back beore GHB17 released, but they have increased in points now. 

2. What do you think of the Grot Spear Chucka? I have thought about adding it as a ranged unit for my IronJawz as well.

This basically hits the nail on the head for the current stance on Ironjawz allies. We have two huge areas that we are lacking in, wizards and ranged. As a result our allies choices are overwhelmingly focused on filling these deficiencies. The Gitmob Artillery is then what I would call, one of the two, core allies, it lets us knock out the key support heroes which are normally blocked by chaff. Examples here being enemy wizards, a Lord-Castellant or Fyreslayers Battlesmith. Having the reach to get hold of these a massive boon so you are again right on point with it. There is a debate as to whether Spear Chukkas or Rock Lobbers are better but both sides have advantages and it's really personal choice as to which you prefer.

Arrowboys then fill a very similar position, giving us the reach we need to get at the important enemy units. Only comment I would make is that you should run them as a block of 30 not 20. The reason for this is really simple, at 20 it takes 2 wounds, due to loadsa arrows, to strip off a third of the shots you get to make with the unit. So an opponent can sneeze and cripple your 240 point investment. Going for 30 however means your opponent has to put far more of an investment into reducing your unit size below 20, you are paying 50% more but getting way more than that in terms of output. Those last 10 are worth far more than the first 20. Again a solid allies option I've looked at myself.

In the interest of completeness the other core allies choice is the Troggoth Hag from Forgeworld she's a great monster in her own right with a really nice kit and most importantly she gives us a wizard who isn't easy to remove. When you look at how important it is to keep Mystic Shield on the Mawkrusha that's not something you can overlook.

Archived