New Aelves

Seems plausible enough to me. But I don't think it's such a shot in the dark to make. Visually speaking there is enough of a match between Witch Elves and Dark Elf Sorcereress. So adding these dynamic models to that line really only makes sence, especially if you look to WFB on how the line carried itself.

Funnily enough AoS is more correct with WFB model lines vs narrative as WFB ever was. So it's only a good thing this trend continues ;) Will indeed mean some of the sub-sub-factions are lost but in reality it made little sence to split them up that much in the first place. Same with the small booklets. I'm very happy to see Batteltome's incorporate actual armies soon instead of a small selection of models which mixes with other forces in narrative but doesn't present such forces.

AoS is finally going the route it should have ideally taken from the start ;) 

5 minutes ago, mastercrafted said:

I'm not that clued up on aos background, but could they be part of a new grand alliance (shadow)? And the 4 new Heralds represent the other 4 alliances against it?

Could you explain to me where this idea continues to pop up from?

Not every Realm is it's own Allegiance. Wasn't before and simply doesnt seem to be the case now either.

Order doesn't solely reflect to saving humanity, the weak or is based around allied allegiances. I feel that quite some people seem to really struggle with this concept somehow while Order narrative has mentioned different visions over and over again. 

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Killax said:

Could you explain to me where this idea continues to pop up from?

Not every Realm is it's own Allegiance. Wasn't before and simply doesnt seem to be the case now either.

Not every Realm needs it's own Allegiance. But it really does not make much sense for Malekith and Morathi to go back to Order, It's more likely in my opinion that they will be their own GA like Nagash, and Gork and Mork.

Looks like they are going full Greek. Gorgons, Harpies, Hoplites, and Witch Elves being Maenads. Hopefully the Hydra will find its way in as well. Looks like they will also be all female and led by a new Morathi.

This fills in the elves from the realm of shadow rumors. I am curios to see how their cousins from the realm of light turn out.

Also wonder if this will stop the (already very flawed) claims from people that TKs were only ended and not coming back (even though they are in the fluff) "because Egypt". Probably not.

16 minutes ago, mastercrafted said:

I'm not that clued up on aos background, but could they be part of a new grand alliance (shadow)? And the 4 new Heralds represent the other 4 alliances against it?

Possible but unlikely. All indications thus far point to the focus being around something Death is doing, with Morathi being more of a spanner in the works.

15 minutes ago, Envyus said:

Not every Realm needs it's own Allegiance. But it really does not make much sense for Malekith and Morathi to go back to Order, It's more likely in my opinion that they will be their own GA like Nagash, and Gork and Mork.

Why wouldnt it make sence? Their aim is to advance themselves and there is no real qualm between them and former High Elves anymore.

11 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Super Happy.

Really hoping for bat winged harpy witch aelves - even though I spent lots of money on the Raging Heroes ones...

Hopefully they bring shadow blades into the faction too. Dark riders are a dual kit with doomfire warlocks so its kind of likely :ph34r:

So much cool Age of Sigmar stuff happening!!!

Mentioning Shadow blades. I'm actually wondering, if the Shadow Warriors (even they were High Elves models) would fit better to the Shadow Blade faction than the Swifthawk Agents?

6 hours ago, Yeled said:

I guess I don't see these as new Aelves. I think this is a Daughters of Khaine update. We'll surely see new models, and the Daughters should get a good rules update and will be taken in a new direction fluff wise... But I suspect this isn't a true new faction (KO style) like some were expecting.

2 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

These aren’t really going to be new Aelves they’re going to be really really old Aelves, Morathi was alive during the Sundering ?. 

GW has been clever with the main players from the Warhammer Cronicles keeping those great book series still relevant 

Does it matters. If we count all factions that contained to one of the three old elves armies, we already have 12 aelves factions. Don't think that we really need 13, 14, 15, or moreinstead these existing ones more fleshed out or some of them combined.

1 hour ago, Killax said:

- New Harpies unit
- New Hydra monster unit
- New Daughters of Khaine heroes
- Incorporating Order Serpentis logically with the Scourge Privateers
- Book focused around Daughters of Khaine and Scourge Privateers

So yeah, a lot of scary stuff but still nothing out of the ordernary for Order, it's just the darkest part of Order. Which will be balanced well with the very likely High Elves update too.

Hm, would order Serpentis perhaps fit better with Darkling Covens? Both factions have this sort of Samurai Warrior style. Only the Hydra doesn't fit there (thats the model with a Scourge Privateers vibe).

Also I don't know if the Sisters of the Watch weren't misplased for Wanderers (because of there magical flame bows). I know that they were the maidens of the everqueen and got there because of that but there style would also fit with the Phoenix Temple (flamebows), or Eldritch Council (magical bows).

5 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Mentioning Shadow blades. I'm actually wondering, if the Shadow Warriors (even they were High Elves models) would fit better to the Shadow Blade faction than the Swifthawk Agents?

This isn't really related to this topic but I would like to see the opposite. The Shadow Blade Faction folded into the Swifthawk Agents, complementing their sometimes shady nature.

7 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

So, murder and ego.

Morathi's gone the full Patrick Bateman! 

Well like the Shadow realm its logical that their means to power are a grey area ;)

Though as before each Order Allegiance has their own agenda that doesnt ****** meets Sigmar's.

Seraphon and Fyreslayers are also examples, plus Sylvaneth, refusing certain Stormcast help ;)

But its a great development for sure. Finally Undead and Elves get their attention in a fantasy game! Makes me happy.

The issue with Shadowblades is that Clan Eshin kinda sit on their USP. It's similar to the Pestilens/Nurgle situation, but in entirely different grand alliances.

I can't help but feel that there will only be one stealthy, assassiny faction, and it' be comprised of rats.

19 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Hm, would order Serpentis perhaps fit better with Darkling Covens? Both factions have this sort of Samurai Warrior style. Only the Hydra doesn't fit there (thats the model with a Scourge Privateers vibe).

Also I don't know if the Sisters of the Watch weren't misplased for Wanderers (because of there magical flame bows). I know that they were the maidens of the everqueen and got there because of that but there style would also fit with the Phoenix Temple (flamebows), or Eldritch Council (magical bows).

Well the Scourge Privateers arnt really samurai with the lore we have. They are privateers, more akin to 'pirates' if anything :) But a lot to go with are visual keys and I feel soldiers with serpent skin on their armour fit the witches reasonably. I feel the Hydra and boat like chariots actually do fit rather well. Its a mix of witches, pirates and greek mythology monsters.

I think more will be revealed eventually for High Aelves too. :)

22 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

This isn't really related to this topic but I would like to see the opposite. The Shadow Blade Faction folded into the Swifthawk Agents, complementing their sometimes shady nature.

It's not related to the video, but still Aelves related and the Shadow Blades were mentioned in the post I quoted.

Hm, I see Swifthawk Agents more like a Seaguard themed Army, not a shady one.

Edit:

8 minutes ago, Killax said:

Well the Scourge Privateers arnt really samurai with the lore we have. They are privateers, more akin to 'pirates' if anything :) But a lot to go with are visual keys and I feel soldiers with serpent skin on their armour fit the witches reasonably. I feel the Hydra and boat like chariots actually do fit rather well. Its a mix of witches, pirates and greek mythology monsters.

I think more will be revealed eventually for High Aelves too. :)

Didn't meant the Scourged Privateers to be samurai (only that the Hydra would fit to the faction). The are more pirate themed like you said.

Order Serpentis and Darkling Covens were the two Factions, that have Samurai themed (or asian warrior themed if you like) armor.

One nie solution would be a common "pool" of general elven units like spearmen, archers, knights and a wizard that could have 40k style <keyword> and could be used to fill out the different factions like phoenix temple, without needing to mix the themes. Not likely to happen though as the models would need to be quite generic, which doesn't seem to be a GW thing anymore.

Edit. It would also be against the fluff as the elves seem to be living along humans and dwarfs nowdays, so there are no longer the citizens where to take the levy from and thus the role of the pure elven armies is more thematically specialized as sort of cults, guilds and knigthly orders.

49 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

It's not related to the video, but still Aelves related and the Shadow Blades were mentioned in the post I quoted.

Hm, I see Swifthawk Agents more like a Seaguard themed Army, not a shady one.

Edit:

Didn't meant the Scourged Privateers to be samurai (only that the Hydra would fit to the faction). The are more pirate themed like you said.

Order Serpentis and Darkling Covens were the two Factions, that have Samurai themed (or asian warrior themed if you like) armor.

Well I dont really ever saw High Elves or Dark Elves as samurai or even close to it. Not in WFB or AoS. In WFB that part really belonged to Cathay and the dragon kingdoms but it was never really fleshed out. There isn't a hint of fuedal warfare amongst Dark Elves, no buddism or even things that relate to some kind of Emperor that requires such protection.

What we do see is that many fantasy genres have taken some ques from real world warriors and soldiers but again I can't say there is a hint of asian themes in Dark Elves or High Elves or actually much of that in WFB developed lines.

Bringing it back to AoS again, while it certainly has a lot of models from the WFB lines even here the narrative is so drastically different that I really see no reason for Morathi to show up under a different Grand Allegiance. While WFB had her tied with Slaanesh in the 6th ed Storm of Chaos that tie wasn't in 8th's End Times whatsoever. The only note we ever recieved is an Empire writer (lore source Liber Chaotica Khorne) which thinks Khorne and Khaine are the same. Yet even there it's confirmed that Elves and Chaos worshipping Mortals do not think the same about that subject. So here too I think AoS will actually flesh it out well and not have Khaine tied to Khorne.

The best guesses I do think we can make around lore development is that Slaanesh while captured actually has some influence on the current mindset of Morathi. Logical also because it just isn't wise to hang around with a Chaos god too much. I think this archievement is largely unacknowledged by Sigmar and this is why they have such different agendas now. So what I think will occur is that Morathi will indeed play her part in MP, likely wanting to thake a bigger place in the Order hierachy. 

As before though, it's logical this event occurs also. What some seem to miss is that within Order not all agree with Sigmar's visions and plans. This is but a clearer example of this but as before the narrative we have confirms that Fyrelayers, Seraphon and Sylvaneth do not all agree with the Stormcast agendas.

In terms of another new unit I'd also certainly wouldn't count out Witch Aelves with spears :) however I deem them more likely to be another hero within Witch Aelves.
No automatic alt text available.

In addition the shrine also allready includes one example of this and I believe that just like weve seen with Bloodbound it's likely we will see the characters on an Engine to be seperate options soon aswell. In quite some cases they allready are playable seperate also.

99120212009_BloodwrackShrineNEW01.jpg
So what I said above I deem likely to be the case :) 

- The Shadow Aelven forces will get their own Battletome basically covering the ranges for Daughters of Khaine, Scourge Privateers and Order Serpentis.

GW in my eyes also basically acknowledged that Privateers and their Order should be 'one' with this box from Firestorm:
99120299044_AnvilGuard01.jpg

As before the visual ques just match up well to me. 
+ They are the newest lines
+ They are the most dynamic models that actually look good not ranked up (same with Witch Aelves).

I guess he meant that the samurai vibe is in their looks, not so much in the fluff. Which isn't so far fetched as in some Jes Goowdwyn's sketchbook he has stated the inspiration for the high/dark elves being samurai and persians.

Fluffwise there is a strong ancient mediterranean feeling. The army composition is similar to those periods, the split to dark and high elves is straight up eastern/western rome, etc.

My guess is faction will be build like this 

Leaders : Morathi(Behemoth), Death Hag, Sorceress/Mistweaver Saih(if she is with Morathi not with Malerion), maybe some kind of "bigger"hero

Battleline : Witch Elves, Sisters of Slaughter

Troops : Harpies/alternative build, new unit -  smaller Meduses with two version (possibly shooting and CC or maybe even 3 version like Kurnoth Hunters) or elite Witch Elves with spears 

Behemoths : two shrines, maybe some kind of monster (maybe bigger hero could be assembled into two option one leader and one not)

It would be quite sure bet that the faction will have at least all of the current units. So bloodwrck medusa and doomfire warlocks should be in. The warhammer quest aelves will most likely be in Malerion's shadow gang, which looks like to be completely new stuff (with maybe the shadowblades included).

36 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

I guess he meant that the samurai vibe is in their looks, not so much in the fluff. Which isn't so far fetched as in some Jes Goowdwyn's sketchbook he has stated the inspiration for the high/dark elves being samurai and persians.

Fluffwise there is a strong ancient mediterranean feeling. The army composition is similar to those periods, the split to dark and high elves is straight up eastern/western rome, etc.

Yeah, I meant mostly because of those metal icons on there helmets, partly there weapons, too.

large.F99363C9-0C80-43C8-A98C-1B11C7266A

(The picture is from Groje, here in the Galery Section).

The Dreadlord and Drakespawn Knights often have those moon or hornshaped icons on there helmets you will find on a Samurai helmet. And the Spears the Drakespawn Knights Spears have a simular look to spears used by Samurai. Thats the point why I think Darkling Covens and Order Serpentis would fit together with there style.

It could also be another style (perhaps persian, perhaps something else), but since the remake in 8. edition, they shared those helmet icons, weapon- and armour features, so it wasn't the best idea splitting those into two factions.

6 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

It would be quite sure bet that the faction will have at least all of the current units. So bloodwrck medusa and doomfire warlocks should be in. The warhammer quest aelves will most likely be in Malerion's shadow gang, which looks like to be completely new stuff (with maybe the shadowblades included).

One of the rumors was quite specific that Morathi will lead a all-female Aelves faction hence Doomfire Warlock or Tenebrael don't fit into this, Mistweaver does. 

Don't know if the Mistweaver really fits with them. Her features are more highelf like.

Normally the Sorceress would fit with Daughers of Khaine (hairstyle, clothes).

An interesting point is, that Tenebrael Shard could have features of a male witchaelf, but after he is called an assassine his role would be fit to the Shadow Blade faction

1 hour ago, EMMachine said:

The Dreadlord and Drakespawn Knights often have those moon or hornshaped icons on there helmets you will find on a Samurai helmet. And the Spears the Drakespawn Knights Spears have a simular look to spears used by Samurai. Thats the point why I think Darkling Covens and Order Serpentis would fit together with there style.

It could also be another style (perhaps persian, perhaps something else), but since the remake in 8. edition, they shared those helmet icons, weapon- and armour features, so it wasn't the best idea splitting those into two factions.

They have no Japanese style features and never had. What a surprise. Neither Samurai vibe nor pre-samurai. What they do have, though, is medieval Chinese vibe (in which the former high elves excel more), with Chinese helmets, cuirasses and long robes. Also the weapons are also Chinese, from spears to crossbows. 

P.S. Persians in any era have nothing to do with the elves too, by the way.

46 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

They have no Japanese style features and never had. What a surprise. Neither Samurai vibe nor pre-samurai. What they do have, though, is medieval Chinese vibe (in which the former high elves excel more), with Chinese helmets, cuirasses and long robes. Also the weapons are also Chinese, from spears to crossbows. 

P.S. Persians in any era have nothing to do with the elves too, by the way.

Okay, my bad! Then Chinese style instead of japanese style.

24 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

I really can’t see Malekith and morathi being part of the same faction. They despise each other. 

They don't have to be the same faction. They will more likely be two different factions (Daughters of Khaine, if they don't change the name and whatever Malerions mainfaction will be). Even if you are part of the same race, live at the same continent or even the same country and share the same alliance but don't have to like each other.

56 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

I really can’t see Malekith and morathi being part of the same faction. They despise each other. 

What are you talking about?

Although Malerion and his mother parted as enemies in the previous world, they agreed on a truce between them. Together they joined Sigmar and his Alliance.

Along with the other gods of Order, Malerion helped Sigmar to build new civilizations but his first goal was to find members of his own kind. The same could be said of Tyrion
, God of Light. Both could hear the cries of the thousands tortured souls of the elves that had been devoured by the Chaos god Slaanesh during the End Times and the destruction of the World-that-was. So Malerion and Tyrion abandoned their duties and went in search of Slaanesh, thus weakening the Alliance of Sigmar.

The above basically comes from the only narrative we have on the Shadow realms in regard to Malerion and Morathi.

AoS isn't WFB... Source: WD 76 2015.

--

Otherwise likely related to the video:
CKC2WVbUMAEr3nJ.jpg

Archived