New Aelves

36 minutes ago, Yeled said:

I guess I don't see these as new Aelves. I think this is a Daughters of Khaine update. We'll surely see new models, and the Daughters should get a good rules update and will be taken in a new direction fluff wise... But I suspect this isn't a true new faction (KO style) like some were expecting.

And I mean, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Not all factions have to be completely new. In fact, Kharadron Overlords, Fyreslayers and Stormcast Eternals (I guess Everchosen technically as well) are really the only completely new factions in the Age of Sigmar. All other factions used models from the existing range.

I think it's really a good thing, because it shows ongoing support for the factions that have been developed - even if it's a re-imagining of them. I suspect in this case, it's going to be "Oh, you thought these were the Daughters of Khaine before? Well actually they're the Daughters of Morathi. She was just pretending to be Khaine and is now coming out of the shadows to reclaim her rightful spot on the Pantheon". Cue keyword change, new warscrolls and quite likely, new models.

1 hour ago, chord said:

Hoping it doesn't bring stuff over from WHFB. That world is gone, this should be new lore

Does it particularly matter, especially on such a minute point as Harpies being the souls of dead witch aelves?

I mean, I didn't even know that. I think it's a cool little piece of fluff to be honest. And it's not the type of fluff that makes me go "OMG OMG old world reference!". So I'm honestly not bothered at all as to whether they keep that little piece of fluff, or they change it to something new. Doesn't bother me at all.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the artwork you clearly see the existing daughters of khaine models, and the symbol of Khaine, so this definitely continues the existing models.

The Nagash book next month is not going to have new models. They said clearly, it will include the scrolls for every death model so far. So it will just be new rules & lore, no new models. The time of model-less releases has not passed in the least.

@someone2040
What rumor engines look like dark elf stuff? I thought some of the stuff like the lion head was going to be high elves, but it turned out to be Custodes. There is one weird thing thats a hand with some kind of dragon-thing that could be dark elf. 

With a 3+ year release schedule, the books coming out in the next few months were likely planned and organized even before the tomes like Pestelins FEC and BCR. Its possible that public opinion promoted them to make more models, but we are not likely to see the fruit of that for years to come. 

We have seen the battletomes released so far fall into three categories. Old minis rebuilt into a new faction; Bonesplittas, Flesh Eaters etc. A mixture of old and new minis built into a new faction; Slyvaneth, Ironjawz etc and totally new factions; Stormcast and Ko.

Legions of Nagash will probably fall into the first camp. I think we will get an all new Ko style death faction later in the year. 

The Daughters of Khorne book will probably be similar to the Slyvaneth book, with 3 or 4 kits and a couple of heroes.  The timing of the video suggests they are setting up the seminar to reveal some models. 

The seminar is on Thursday night US time, but the rumour image this week said we would get the full rundown on Saturday. Waiting for news for the next few days is going to be torture.

Most of the last 11 or so unsolved rumor engine pics could feasibly be part of a shadow Aelf release.

I agree with a Sylvaneth sized release. Morathi kit, 3 model multi build snake lady kit, maybe an elite infantry kit and another character or two.

The timing is right IMO.

7 hours ago, WoollyMammoth said:

Aelves are not dead and therefore have no place in death. They could be destruction or some new hand of chaos. Its possible they are referring to having killed Slaanesh, and Morathi takes the mantle as a new chaos god.

Most likely its going to be a small tome for Daughters of Khaine with no new models, something similar to the Clan Pestelins book. There is a small hope for new models due to the Tenebrael Shard/Mistweaver Saih from the Silver Tower. Most likely it will just be another order battletome. 

That would be super pointless. Daughters of Khaine only have 2 kits total. Making a battletome for them with no new models would be asinine; especially since Morathi is clearly involved here and doesn't have a model anymore.

Of all the speculation here, I think this is the ons thing we can write off as clearly wrong.

1 hour ago, WoollyMammoth said:

@someone2040
What rumor engines look like dark elf stuff? I thought some of the stuff like the lion head was going to be high elves, but it turned out to be Custodes. There is one weird thing thats a hand with some kind of dragon-thing that could be dark elf. 

Well, not every new model has to end up in the Rumour Engine. It's possible they're trying to keep this a little more under wraps. 

If I had to guess, of the older ones the elf hand with winged serpent (22/3) and possibly what looks like a segmented serpents belly (31/10). Of the newers ones, the flowing hair and the chains that bind could easily be Aelf related.

Overall, we at least know we're going to get a Morathi figure so it can't be another no-model release. Talk about anti-hype if we didn't at least get that.

2 hours ago, someone2040 said:

And I mean, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Not all factions have to be completely new. In fact, Kharadron Overlords, Fyreslayers and Stormcast Eternals (I guess Everchosen technically as well) are really the only completely new factions in the Age of Sigmar. All other factions used models from the existing range.

I think it's really a good thing, because it shows ongoing support for the factions that have been developed - even if it's a re-imagining of them. I suspect in this case, it's going to be "Oh, you thought these were the Daughters of Khaine before? Well actually they're the Daughters of Morathi. She was just pretending to be Khaine and is now coming out of the shadows to reclaim her rightful spot on the Pantheon". Cue keyword change, new warscrolls and quite likely, new models.

Does it particularly matter, especially on such a minute point as Harpies being the souls of dead witch aelves?

I mean, I didn't even know that. I think it's a cool little piece of fluff to be honest. And it's not the type of fluff that makes me go "OMG OMG old world reference!". So I'm honestly not bothered at all as to whether they keep that little piece of fluff, or they change it to something new. Doesn't bother me at all.

No, not a bad thing at all. I hope they do support the old factions. A build up of the Daughters into a new, bigger faction with a few more heroes and troops (I suspect we'll at least see new harpies) would do wonders for that faction. Plus they can really bring it into AoS. So far the legacy factions just kinda sit there until they are brought up to speed. I play Wanderers and at least I have some hope that one day eventually they might get updated. Until now I had lost faith.

My point was only that these aren't probably new aelves, and that new aelves could still come down the road. Taking that a step further, Morathi is the Queen of Shadow, but are these the shadow aelves that have been rumored or just Daughters of Khaine? Is Tenebrael Shard part of this? Mistweaver Saih? Or are they something else?

In any event, this is still exciting news and I'm sure we'll have some answers soon.

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

We have seen the battletomes released so far fall into three categories. Old minis rebuilt into a new faction; Bonesplittas, Flesh Eaters etc. A mixture of old and new minis built into a new faction; Slyvaneth, Ironjawz etc and totally new factions; Stormcast and Ko.

Legions of Nagash will probably fall into the first camp. I think we will get an all new Ko style death faction later in the year. 

The Daughters of Khorne book will probably be similar to the Slyvaneth book, with 3 or 4 kits and a couple of heroes.  The timing of the video suggests they are setting up the seminar to reveal some models. 

The seminar is on Thursday night US time, but the rumour image this week said we would get the full rundown on Saturday. Waiting for news for the next few days is going to be torture.

They'll probably do the whole warhammer community follow up article saturday, WE'LL know thursday when the LVO people leak it all.

9 hours ago, DantePQ said:

I guess Aelves will be Eldar alike - they are good because anti-chaos, anti-death(Necron, Tyranids) but all about their agenda, they could be cruel and evil but when push will come to shove they will be fighting against Chaos. 

Also Morathi is clearly anti Slaasnesh and angry at everybody as she thinks she belong among gods, also she clearly thinks about herself as successor to Khaine. She won't bow to Nagash or Chaos. Also she is cool with Malerion and Malerion is 100% Order even more so after ET and he is somehow friends with Tyrion and Teclis. 

She won't bow to Nagash or Chaos, But I doubt she will bow to Order and Sigmar ether after abandoning them. Malekith has even less of a chance of going back. He is not friends with Tyrion and Teclis like Nagash, Gork and Mork, were not friends with Sigmar but worked with him anyway to help get everything set up.

Malekith and Morathi abandoned Order and likewise abandoned Tyrion and Teclis after aiding them with freeing the Elf souls. Malekith and Morathi have about as much a chance of going back to Order as Nagash and the Orc gods do. 

9 hours ago, Turgol said:

Malerion is order 100% sure. Morathi most likely as well, but there might be a surprise or two in there. There is certainly resentment with everyone in her message. 

Malekith has little chance of being order. He ditched them long and ago and has yet to come back. He and Morathi are almost assured to be on the same side.

9 hours ago, Killax said:

It will remain Order, dont really know why people cant accept it.

Chaos isnt all friends in Chaos.

Destruction isnt all friends in Destruction.

Order isnt solely heroes who protect the weak.

The peolpe in Order are Allies.  Thats the point of Order. Malekith has made a point of killing everything that steps into his realm that does not serve him. 

30 minutes ago, mhsellwood said:

In terms of how much we can expect. Lady Atia is confirming this is something big over on War of Sigmar. From this I think we can assume it is more than a reboxing of Witch Aelves and a battletome.

image.png.8012a44352739d862675cf61af8fe30e.png

For those aren't familiar, Atia's word is pretty much second only to GW's in terms of rumor accuracy.

50 minutes ago, Envyus said:

She won't bow to Nagash or Chaos, But I doubt she will bow to Order and Sigmar ether after abandoning them. Malekith has even less of a chance of going back. He is not friends with Tyrion and Teclis like Nagash, Gork and Mork, were not friends with Sigmar but worked with him anyway to help get everything set up.

Malekith and Morathi abandoned Order and likewise abandoned Tyrion and Teclis after aiding them with freeing the Elf souls. Malekith and Morathi have about as much a chance of going back to Order as Nagash and the Orc gods do. 

Malekith has little chance of being order. He ditched them long and ago and has yet to come back. He and Morathi are almost assured to be on the same side.

The peolpe in Order are Allies.  Thats the point of Order. Malekith has made a point of killing everything that steps into his realm that does not serve him. 

So where does that leave them in your opinion then? Because there's no way they're doing a 'grand alliance...just like...some aelves or w/e'.

11 hours ago, smucreo said:

She claims to be the voice of a dead god.... is Slannesh confirmed dead then or is she talking of someone else? She said she slithered out... is she the medusa looking lady we see in the video?

Also, she mentions she fights against the corruption of chaos, but she wants revenge from Order from shunning her from the pantheon. What GA will she be part of?

My interpretation was Khaine or Slaanesh as the 'dead god'. But remember we call religions with little to no followers 'dead', so why not the diety's themselves. Makes the inevitable comeback that more special ;) 

Looking at the greek like drawings in the background it shows daemonettes and witch elves. So although destruction would be cool, I would be setting my bets on Order or Chaos. She indeed mentions wanting revenge but also she wants to prove herself worthy. All in all I interpret this as her wanting to seek (un)holy revenge on Chaos and ascend to be a true god standing equally besides her son, sigmar etc. 

ps. Also going over to Chaos means losing the witch elf models, who fit perfectly. As I can't GW making them switch grand alliance, potentially, a lot of players will be using them in as allies.  They even featured as Allies collecting box. Or of course leaving them in order but coming up with a whole new range of models. 

24 minutes ago, Burf said:

So where does that leave them in your opinion then? Because there's no way they're doing a 'grand alliance...just like...some aelves or w/e'.

I could see a Grand Alliance Shadows or something. If they add enough new Models and add the Dark Elf line it will be around the size of GA Death. 

Other then that because this is supposed to be a Death year I could see them allying with Nagash and becoming part of the Death Faction. 

1 hour ago, Envyus said:

Nope, not all people in Order are allies.

Seraphon and Fyreslayer history being the biggest example the people in Order are not all allies. So you are missing the backstory of Order. Several characters and backstories of Allegiances in Order actually arn't about great allies. This is actually also very well reflected in the Ally system adapted by GH2017 if you want some insight on it.
Sigmar used to have Nagash, Gork and Mork as allies which both had little to do with Order. But Sigmar's perspective on how to solve issues again isn't shared by all Order Allegiances whatsoever. 

31 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

People who are claiming that a aelven faction will not get any new models are echoing what many people were saying about new Nurgle. Of course existing daughters of khaine models will be present, but in my opinion their will definately be at least 1 new unit, new characters some new behemoths. 

Absoluely, plus there are sufficient rumour engine pictures that basically have Aelf/elf written all over them. So new models will certainly come. Indeed I expect the same approach GW has used for all Chaos Gods so far. A good mix of WFB units with new Heroes.

For the fans of Witch Aelves I too hope they get a reboxing so that the cost is dropped a little, but you never know...

And what if there is a really BIG release alike BT : Legion of Nagash ? 

for example BT : Shadowkin 

- one all female army with Khaine as a main them lead by Morathi

- another army with Shadow Cthulu /Sea Aelfs lead by Malerion (all those rumor engines with elven hands with scroll, small shadowy dragon)

and possibility to play as two subfactions and one big faction. So GW can incorporate Witch Elves and Bloodwrack Shrine into Khaine part and for example Corsairs/Doomwarlock into Cthulu Aelves. 

I guessed it was supposed to be a small release (one big new model, another hero(or death hag in blister), reboxing of WH:Q hero or both, 1-2 new units, WitchElves/Sisters of Slaughter, Shrines) which is in line with BT unit  range in terms of BT entries but Attia is one hell of a source so maybe it's something similiar to BT Legions of Nagash.  

The line "drawing ever nearer to my rightful place in the pantheon" basically confirms she is either Order or Chaos. The fact Morathi/Shadow Queen (why isn't she the Queen of Shadows, so much more badass!) is pretty negative about Chaos basically cinches it for Order to me. Also how she is a civilization builder.

Whilst I'm aware spear-witches already exist on the Cauldron of Blood, I hope we get a unit of them alongside Morathi/harpies. How can you have an aelf faction without spearelves! 

Well as spoiled before, it will still thake a while and it also likely involves the High Aelves too. What I suspect is that Slaanesh has some influence in the current state of how former Dark Elves and High Elves cooperate. Much like the 40k variant I believe that Slaanesh will escape the prison somewhere at the end of the MP campaign which then will lead to a new food for though.

As is, the 'BIG' release to me just incorporates all for Aelves and Age of Sigmar as 2018 with MP will be more AoS focused again in terms of new stuff, campaigns and all of it. Including even Shadespire and such as those units are also available to AoS.

Yep but Big could also mean one Big BT for Aelves (Light, Shadowkin Cthulu, Khaine Witches) with huge release or BT : shadowkin with both Malerion Cthulu Aelves and Morathi Witch Elves both make sense I guess as some of the Elven rumor engines doesn't suit Morathi much but who knows ? 

Certainly possible, but I don't really see big battletomes as a new kind of thing. By all means it's again how ideally Battletomes are made for AoS. Because the whole line works together because it used to in WFB. Same with recent Nurgle, having Daemons of Nurgle and Rotbringers seperate for AoS/WFB makes no sence from a visual standpoint.

Likewise I indeed can forsee two of the three factions being represented into one book for "Dark Aelves" likely dubbed something like Forces of the Shadow Queen. 
What I personally expect in terms of new models are:

- Malerion himself, leader of the "monsterous units in former Dark Elves" basically his spawn, ala Daemons.
Afbeeldingsresultaat voor malerion age of sigmar
- Morathi on an elaborate Blood Engine of some sorts, including a lot of witches and blood.
2wjrgg8naiqq.png
- New Harpies unit
- New Hydra monster unit
- New Daughters of Khaine heroes
- Incorporating Order Serpentis logically with the Scourge Privateers
- Book focused around Daughters of Khaine and Scourge Privateers

So yeah, a lot of scary stuff but still nothing out of the ordernary for Order, it's just the darkest part of Order. Which will be balanced well with the very likely High Elves update too.

41 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Morathi is well rumored to be double kit - two models, one in elf form and in form of twisted snake and accorind to one rumor I've read few weeks back you will be able to change her "form" mid battle. 

Yeah, and this is from the same rumor monger who said Daughters of Khaine would be part of her forces (which would be an absolutely incredible shot in the dark to make) so I'm taking the double kit as a given until proven otherwise.

Archived