Warscroll Designer (BETA)

Not much been activity here lately, but thought I'd add some feedback.

I've love it if the layout could be done a bit better. Like only split a description/ability/etc over to a second column if it needs to. I've got this case where on a warscroll I created, it splits the description over to the 2nd column even though it doesn't need to and it just makes it look strange.

vroknor-scorchseeker-and-grunter.jpg.a95c2388d7f27ca8b335aeaade3011c1.jpg

In terms of bugs, my keywords weren't updating when I removed a keyword, only when I added them.

In terms of feature request:

It'd be cool if we had the ability to have 'colour' versions of our warscrolls, a bit closer to what GW currently does (With the colours backgrounds, and the border). Or even just the ability to embed our own images into the warscroll like how they looked in the Generals Handbook. 

Probably a decent bit of work, and I do enjoy the 'print-friendly' version we have at the moment, but I'd like to see the option for both :)

• Like 1

On 14/04/2017 at 2:31 AM, someone2040 said:

Not much been activity here lately, but thought I'd add some feedback.

I've love it if the layout could be done a bit better. Like only split a description/ability/etc over to a second column if it needs to. I've got this case where on a warscroll I created, it splits the description over to the 2nd column even though it doesn't need to and it just makes it look strange.

vroknor-scorchseeker-and-grunter.jpg.a95c2388d7f27ca8b335aeaade3011c1.jpg

In terms of bugs, my keywords weren't updating when I removed a keyword, only when I added them.

In terms of feature request:

It'd be cool if we had the ability to have 'colour' versions of our warscrolls, a bit closer to what GW currently does (With the colours backgrounds, and the border). Or even just the ability to embed our own images into the warscroll like how they looked in the Generals Handbook. 

Probably a decent bit of work, and I do enjoy the 'print-friendly' version we have at the moment, but I'd like to see the option for both :)

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll have a look at the keyword issue (can you confirm what web browser you're using & version?).

Coloured backgrounds would be possible in some combinations, I'll have a rummage around and see what I can do.

The splitting columns is something I need to put my head down and think about.  I've used the column functionality that's built into most modern web browsers, but it's quite new in the grand scheme of things and not all of the bugs have been ironed out yet.  I think I need to come up with some form of clever padding mechanism.

On 14/04/2017 at 2:58 AM, Auticus said:

I've used this as well for my campaign documents.

The only niggling issue I have is that keywords for whatever reason don't show up, so I have to photoshop them in.

Can you let me know the browser you're using and also confirm you're hitting enter after you select a keyword?  The keywords bit isn't ideal if I'm honest but I'm loathe to add in a massive tick box type list (it's also missing a lot of keywords being built in)

2 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I'll have a look at the keyword issue (can you confirm what web browser you're using & version?).

Hi Runebrush,

Just tested it out on my work computer, Chrome Version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit). I was using Chrome at home when I ran into the issue, but don't know what version at the moment.

This can easily be reproduced by adding a keyword to a blank scroll, then removing it by hitting the white circle (Which I assume is the remove button since it removes it from the list).

• Like 1

Just now, someone2040 said:

Hi Runebrush,

Just tested it out on my work computer, Chrome Version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit). I was using Chrome at home when I ran into the issue, but don't know what version at the moment.

This can easily be reproduced by adding a keyword to a blank scroll, then removing it by hitting the white circle (Which I assume is the remove button since it removes it from the list).

Awesome, thanks for the comprehensive response - makes my life a lot easier to fix things :) 

• 9 months later...

Long time since this thread got any love.

Any progress on getting the columns to align a bit better? Would just be nice if it was able to keep the header + first part of content in the same part.

I also see some issues where Abilities get line broken on the lines breaks in the text entry box after re-loading it.

ability-layout-bug.png.357bcd5c7e4f33d7d09391d432e5ec90.png

But mainly I wanted to ask. Is there any way to delete warscrolls saved to the server? I accidentally duplicated one of my warscrolls and it's annoying me :)

• Like 1

Columns are a bit of a tricky one as they're reliant on the browser to work out how they should be.  However it's plausible that with browser improvements over the past year I might be able to improve some bits.

I'll have a look at why it's going wonky on the warboss shield paragraph - very odd!

Probably should add in a delete function too :D 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Columns are a bit of a tricky one as they're reliant on the browser to work out how they should be.  However it's plausible that with browser improvements over the past year I might be able to improve some bits.

I'll have a look at why it's going wonky on the warboss shield paragraph - very odd!

Probably should add in a delete function too :D 

Yeah, for some reason it only appears to be happening on one of my Warscrolls now that I've fiddled around a bit. Maybe there's just some bug effecting that particular warscroll I've created.

Another potential thing to look into (although it's definitely a more niche issue) is the keywords section should expand when it can't fit in a single line. I'm trying to think where I saw this occur before in a real warscroll, but it's not coming to mind at the moment. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it, even though most of the time it won't come up.

As for the column issue.

I mucked around with the page source a bit. It might be worth investigating "display:inline-block" on the Divs that make up the various combinations of title+description. From some early mucking around it looked good, but of course the stuff wasn't overflowing onto the next column which I guess is a pro and a con.

It is kinda cool though to know I can muck around in the page source if I want to export something with nicer columns. Although one time it did do something funky where it split a word onto a newline around an apostrophe and added like a tab or something.

Anywhoo! I'm definitely no css/web dev expert. If anything, mucking around with this kinda stuff (here and professionally) has certainly made me stray away from that path further.

1 hour ago, someone2040 said:

Another potential thing to look into (although it's definitely a more niche issue) is the keywords section should expand when it can't fit in a single line. I'm trying to think where I saw this occur before in a real warscroll, but it's not coming to mind at the moment. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it, even though most of the time it won't come up.

Keywords are one thing that I need to investigate a bit as I've noticed people do have a habit of simply typing everything into the box with commas rather than selecting each option one at a time.  What that means is WSD treats this as a single keyword rather than multiples.  Ideally it needs to treat a comma as keyword separator (same as a carriage return), but think there was a reason why I didn't do this initially.

I mucked around with the page source a bit. It might be worth investigating "display:inline-block" on the Divs that make up the various combinations of title+description. From some early mucking around it looked good, but of course the stuff wasn't overflowing onto the next column which I guess is a pro and a con.

From the bit of alpha testing I did, not wrapping onto a new column was a bigger bug bear than separating titles which is why I didn't set the outer wrapper in that way.  CSS columns are pretty new in the grand scheme of things but preferable to calculating it all on a canvas element :P  I'll try and find some time to have a bit more investigation at some point.

Anywhoo! I'm definitely no css/web dev expert. If anything, mucking around with this kinda stuff (here and professionally) has certainly made me stray away from that path further.

Lol, yeah it's not for everyone!  I've been doing web dev stuff for a silly number of years now - probably one of the reasons I don't do very many home projects anymore :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having an issue where a Warscroll with a damage table keeps messing up the damage table every time I load it up.  Here's a screenshot of what it's doing each time (pay no attention to the stats, it's a BIG dragon ;) ).  Notice that it added in those extra lines at the beginning there?  It just added in a blank row (which does NOT show up in the actual printable Warscroll) and doubled the instance of the first row.  It didn't remove anything, just added in a blank row and repeated first row.

image.png.0bc8ac57a2aa4903cc55ec39e581bbcb.png

Firefox 58.0.2 64-bit, Windows 10

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

I'm having an issue where a Warscroll with a damage table keeps messing up the damage table every time I load it up.  Here's a screenshot of what it's doing each time (pay no attention to the stats, it's a BIG dragon ;) ).  Notice that it added in those extra lines at the beginning there?  It just added in a blank row (which does NOT show up in the actual printable Warscroll) and doubled the instance of the first row.  It didn't remove anything, just added in a blank row and repeated first row.

Firefox 58.0.2 64-bit, Windows 10

Interesting...  I'm hoping to squeeze in a little bit of work on WSD tomorrow so will try and replicate that one!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've finally managed to squeeze in a bit of development on WSD and done a fairly large under the bonnet revision.

Firstly the underlying Javascript code is now compressed into a single large file.  Although this means I can't leverage things like CDN's, it has meant that I've been able to implement a build version and eek out a little more performance.

Next up I (hopefully) have made the whole web app available offline using Service Workers.  This has been pretty complicated, but will mean that you'll be able to design Warscrolls without an internet connection.  However if you do plan on doing this you'll need to ensure that you're not logged into Google as that requires an active network connection.

I've also updated the AoS logo to the new darker version and sorted out the random empty line when loading the Damage Table from a saved warscroll.

Finally Keywords should correctly break when separating using a comma (as lots of people did this).  However there is an oddball where it doesn't actually delete the comma when it adds it :S  I think Keywords may have to be one of the next items to look at as currently you've a handful of Chaos and Ogor keywords built in and that's pretty much it!  I also need to join up custom keywords a little better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, hellalugosi said:

splendid update! 

on a side note, could we ever see this branch into a warscroll battalions?

In theory yes.  Other items are certainly something that I'd like to add - I've half built one for doing playing card sized items (e.g. artefacts, spells etc) which I should finish :P  Battalions and Battleplans are both items that I'd like to do when I manage to find some time (which seems to be in precious short supply sadly)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Cheers guys.  Always nice to know it's still being used!  My intention is to do an update so that we can create warscrolls using the new layout that GW have done for Soul Wars - it's a much clearer design in my opinion.  That ideally needs the option to add an image so I'm probably going to use the opportunity to rehash the editor which I feel has become pretty clunky.

Not got an estimated time for this being done though sadly - the rest of this month is busy with commitments and getting my Blackout army ready :D  Hopefully August may be a little kinder

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2018 at 6:55 PM, TheOtherJosh said:

The only challenge I can see is that local database storage is seriously limited for web browsers...

Agreed, it's why I'm wanting to undertake a review of how things work.  If you log in using Google then everything is saved to a database so no real limitations.  My current thought is that the actual designer is kept as an online-only tool, but you can create a "briefcase" of warscrolls you want to access offline - using the browsers cache rather than the limited local storage.

On 7/14/2018 at 8:41 AM, Trayanee said:

Is it possible to change font size for ability texts? I know someone, who would like to use this tool to help his poor eye score.

It's certainly something I can implement!